RCCL - Please Say No to Cruise Ships in Jacksonville for the Republican Convention!

1 minute ago, cured said:

The difference is that early research has shown that the virus is susceptible to a vaccine.

The Oxford animal trial, while extremely small with only 6 monkeys, was very promising. The vaccine created antibodies and the monkeys were protected when introduced to massive doses of the virus. The first human trial also showed promise.

The researchers also have a leg up in that they have been studying SARs related viruses for years, so can piggy back this vaccine on what they have already tested.

I will follow the science, not the hand wringing of the frustrated populace.

Be my guest.  I hope I'm wrong and you're right.  I'm just not counting on a vaccine and figure we'll have to find someway to live with CV.   

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Like that huge spike that happened after the Ozarks party?

5ece22d3f34d0560f1746b74?width=1300&form

Looks like a pool deck on a ship. 

Good Point, it sure does! And was no increase in CV after this event, as you pointed out many don't realize that

46 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't think it really matters which cruise line might provide ships for this event.  If an outbreak occurs on any of them, it will be bad for the whole cruise industry.

This is so true.  There is also history here.  In 2000, the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville.  With limited hotel space, they had five cruise ships brought in for housing.

As you say, if a Carnival or NCL ship has an outbreak, the whole industry will suffer.

1 hour ago, logan25 said:

In which case, you should be fearful of everyone and everything they contact.  Based on current guidance, humans will never again be closer than six feet from another human.  Because masks are not 100% guaranteed spread prevention.  So say goodbye to human contact.

I'm ahead of the Curve. Never want be within 6ft from most people anyway   😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If they're being used as a hotel, they're not 'cruise ships'.  They're floating hotels.  Just as easy to trace a spike to the Marriott or Hilton.

Not that it matters.  By then, almost everywhere will be almost back to normal and all the theme parks open.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

I'm ahead of the Curve. Never want be within 6ft from most people anyway   😎

DH is the same way, he says he’s been training for social distancing his whole life. He’s never been a people person and even on cruises he rarely talks to people other than the staff and keeps to himself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The point is MANY people have been working on Cancer and AIDS vaccines for DECADES.  Just saying "many people are working on a CV vaccine" means nothing.  And do you want to rely on a vaccine that's been rushed to market?  

And yet, other vaccines were developed much quicker and work well.   Others took longer because the viruses weren't very deadly so the rush wasn't needed. You can't compare this virus to cancer or AIDS.  All three are very different.   This vaccine is being developed using research and work that has been done on other vaccines, such as SARS.  I guess you won't be cruising anytime soon because my guess is that some countries and cruise lines too could require the vaccine once it's available.  

As for Jacksonville, Florida is already more open than most states.  A lot is already open.  Dining, shopping, etc.  

Edited by BND

56 minutes ago, BND said:

As for Jacksonville, Florida is already more open than most states.  A lot is already open.  Dining, shopping, etc.  

And that is part of the problem.  Simply being open does not mean things are getting better.  Indeed, it may be part of the problem.

"The Florida Dept. of Health reported over 2,500 more positive cases of COVID-19 Saturday, the largest single day spike of cases since the department started counting.

New numbers released by state health officials Saturday morning show the state has a total of 73,552 cases, up 2,581 since Friday."

"The death toll increased to 2,925 Saturday, as 48 additional deaths were reported. Hospitalizations across the state sit at 11,874."

This is not solely due to additional testing.  It is due to opening up too soon!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, logan25 said:

In which case, you should be fearful of everyone and everything they contact.  Based on current guidance, humans will never again be closer than six feet from another human.  Because masks are not 100% guaranteed spread prevention.  So say goodbye to human contact.

Will cut down on the birth rate.😅

11 minutes ago, yogimax said:

And that is part of the problem.  Simply being open does not mean things are getting better.  Indeed, it may be part of the problem.

"The Florida Dept. of Health reported over 2,500 more positive cases of COVID-19 Saturday, the largest single day spike of cases since the department started counting.

New numbers released by state health officials Saturday morning show the state has a total of 73,552 cases, up 2,581 since Friday."

"The death toll increased to 2,925 Saturday, as 48 additional deaths were reported. Hospitalizations across the state sit at 11,874."

This is not solely due to additional testing.  It is due to opening up too soon!

Since you live in NY, and only get macro news, I can understand why you are mis-informed. Over the past few weeks, Florida significantly increased both the quantity and reach of its testing, going full bore into both the prison system and into the migrant agricultural community. That’s primarily where the Increase numbers are occurring. Major metros, tourist areas, beach communities, etc. are actually seeing decreases both in net new cases, and net new hospitalizations. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I cannot imagine using the ships as hotels would work, since the hotel staff are not on the ships now.

If there's money to be made, they'll get the staff somehow. IMO, gov'ts and the airlines are supposed to put things in place for seafarers to be able to travel easier.

26 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Every US State is opening too soon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Since you live in NY, and only get macro news, I can understand why you are mis-informed. Over the past few weeks, Florida significantly increased both the quantity and reach of its testing, going full bore into both the prison system and into the migrant agricultural community. That’s primarily where the Increase numbers are occurring. Major metros, tourist areas, beach communities, etc. are actually seeing decreases both in net new cases, and net new hospitalizations. 

Probably people in Orlando are misinformed too.I spoke to a friend earlier today ,an Orlando resident who differers from you.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I’m worried about the big jump in positive test results in Jax, but hospital admissions are staying steady so far. 

So far as JAX being a small town, as one poster mentioned, 1.5 million people is a little larger than a small town. 

We’d rather not have any large assembly of enthusiastic people meet in Jax till the virus is not a factor,  regardless of the occasion, but  hopefully by August the risk will be lessened. 

This is the first time I’ve booked a cruise far off (February) and worried that it might not happen!

5 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@S.A.M.J.R.

It's been over 14 days since the Ozark Pool Party and to the best of my knowledge there was one COVID case identified the following week and another just recently, although that person may have contracted it elsewhere. Also the 2 Missouri beauticians who styled patrons while having COVID symptoms evidently have not passed the virus on- both they and their customers were masked.

There is so much we do not yet understand about the transmission. Most passengers on those several cruise ships with COVID outbreaks, including those under quarantine for weeks, did not get ill. 

So who knows what will happen if ships are used as hotels in J-ville?

This is being studied as an excellent example of how following CDC guidelines for sanitation procedures and having everyone masked can allow businesses to operate safely in the time of Covid-19.  It requires the cooperation and participation of EVERYONE.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

This is so true.  There is also history here.  In 2000, the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville.  With limited hotel space, they had five cruise ships brought in for housing.

As you say, if a Carnival or NCL ship has an outbreak, the whole industry will suffer.

Actually, it was 2005, and the ships used were Carnival Miracle, Regent's Seven Seas Navigator, and Holland America's Volendam, Zuiderdam and Zaandam.

1 hour ago, BND said:

And yet, other vaccines were developed much quicker and work well. 

Really?  Pretty sure I heard that before CV the quickest vaccine to come to the market took 4 years.  Can you find one that was developed and put on the market within 18 months?

51 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I don't think you can look at simply case numbers.  First, as you indicate, increased testing will bring out more positive numbers.  Second, the seriousness of the positive cases needs to be taken into account.  If someone is positive but can ride it out at home with meds, that's a good thing.  If they have to go to the hospital or end up dying, that's bad.  For what it's worth, according to the CDC, 8% of the US population catches the flu each year.  That's more than 26 MILLION people AND we have a vaccine for that.  

Yes, I get that this is deadlier than the flu, probably twice as much.  The point is positive case numbers don't mean a lot on their own.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Really?  Pretty sure I heard that before CV the quickest vaccine to come to the market took 4 years.  Can you find one that was developed and put on the market within 18 months?

I don't think you can look at simply case numbers.  First, as you indicate, increased testing will bring out more positive numbers.  Second, the seriousness of the positive cases needs to be taken into account.  If someone is positive but can ride it out at home with meds, that's a good thing.  If they have to go to the hospital or end up dying, that's bad.  For what it's worth, according to the CDC, 8% of the US population catches the flu each year.  That's more than 26 MILLION people AND we have a vaccine for that.  

Yes, I get that this is deadlier than the flu, probably twice as much.  The point is positive case numbers don't mean a lot on their own.  

I agree with you that serious cases are what matters, but your statement about increased testing is not necessarily true.  In New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and other states, there has been increased testing and fewer positive numbers:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/usa

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Is there a bridge issue getting there?  Water depth?

It’s before the first bridge. 

It hosts oil tankers, container ships, etc. 

Water  depth I can’t tell you, except that a portion of the St Johns is going to be dredged to allow super tankers. 

Carnival’s Miracle went under the first bridge for  a month when she first sailed.