Restricted travel from the Tri State area

setsail1975

On 6/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, ontheweb said:

But what if you are either a New York resident with a second home in Florida, or if NY passes a similar policy a Floridian with a second home in NY state? Are you going to prohibit people from living part time in property they own?

A lot of NY City residents have bungalows up in my area of NY state. Locals have asked about this and the response from the county government has been you cannot keep people out of property they own. (And some of them are up here already and do not wear masks. I expect a spike in my area of NY state even if the state as a whole is trending down.)

This is totally us.  We have a condo in Fort Lauderdale which we infrequently go to - Thanksgiving, Christmas break, Columbus Day weekend, once or twice in the summer for long weekends, as dh still works.  We have not been down to our condo since December.   We also have a house in Smallwood, right outside of Monticello.  We have been spending the last 6 weekends (Fri/Sat) up there.  When we go upstate we wear masks when outside -  unlike a lot of people we see.  We went to pick up food at a local restaurant in White Lake, which just started outdoor dining this weekend. (we know because they did not have it last weekend when we picked up food)  Tables were on top of each other.  Servers were wearing masks, but diners (of course) were not.  Don't know if they are "locals" or visitors. Some people were literally within 2 feet of next table.   I expect to see a spike not only upstate, but here on Long Island, as we enter stage 3. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pe4all said:

This is totally us.  We have a condo in Fort Lauderdale which we infrequently go to - Thanksgiving, Christmas break, Columbus Day weekend, once or twice in the summer for long weekends, as dh still works.  We have not been down to our condo since December.   We also have a house in Smallwood, right outside of Monticello.  We have been spending the last 6 weekends (Fri/Sat) up there.  When we go upstate we wear masks when outside -  unlike a lot of people we see.  We went to pick up food at a local restaurant in White Lake, which just started outdoor dining this weekend. (we know because they did not have it last weekend when we picked up food)  Tables were on top of each other.  Servers were wearing masks, but diners (of course) were not.  Don't know if they are "locals" or visitors. Some people were literally within 2 feet of next table.   I expect to see a spike not only upstate, but here on Long Island, as we enter stage 3. 

Of course I know where Smallwood is.

Lots of restaurants now in the White Lake/ Kauneonga Lake area. They are basically economic development that can be traced to Bethel Woods, the original Woodstock site. With all concerts off for this summer, I hope those restaurants can survive an off summer.

There was one, that I think is not there anymore, that was a Mediterranean restaurant. We went there on an anniversary just before leaving for a Mediterranean cruise.

31 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Nobody can stop any citizen from crossing a state border.  They can strongly recommend you self isolate, but that’s it.  We live in FL and have property in CT (currently there) I will be flying back to Florida for a week at the end of  the week.  Tristate is closer to restricting passage in then was the reverse.  

5 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

Don’t worry as Carnival is 100% canceling your cruise. 
Im still surprised that people think any cruising will happen in August.

Um, they don’t because they already said they are not. 

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, pe4all said:

My DW told me earlier today that she heard an interview with the Lieutenant Governor of NY State on the radio. It was said that they expect a spike in the virus upstate as the snowbirds arrive from Florida. Quite a difference than what was being said about NY not all that long ago!

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

My DW told me earlier today that she heard an interview with the Lieutenant Governor of NY State on the radio. It was said that they expect a spike in the virus upstate as the snowbirds arrive from Florida. Quite a difference than what was being said about NY not all that long ago!

I heard this also, along with Gov. Cuomo possibly imposing a travel ban/quarentine on Floridians coming to the trip-state area in the very near future. (with agreement from NJ/CT)  As Jimbo said - stopping people from crossing state borders/having them quarentine is nearly impossible.  

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

I heard this also, along with Gov. Cuomo possibly imposing a travel ban/quarentine on Floridians coming to the trip-state area in the very near future. (with agreement from NJ/CT)  As Jimbo said - stopping people from crossing state borders/having them quarentine is nearly impossible.  

It's starting: 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/new-york-new-jersey-and-connecticut-impose-14-day-quarantine-on-travelers-from-coronavirus-hotspot-states.html

Travelers arriving to New York, New Jersey and Connecticut from Florida, Texas and other states with spiking Covid-19 infections rates will be subject to a 14-day quarantine and fines if they don’t self-isolate, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday. 

Cuomo had previously said he was considering imposing a quarantine on travelers arriving in the state from places like Florida where coronavirus cases have spiked. 

“We worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down. We don’t want to see it go up because a lot of people come into this region and they can literally bring the infection with them,” Cuomo said at a press conference with New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy and Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont. “Because what happens in New York happens in New Jersey and happens in Connecticut.”

Cuomo said travelers coming from states with a high infection rate will be subject to the quarantine. The infection rate is based on the number of infections per 100,000 residents on a 7-day rolling average. People who don’t voluntarily quarantine for 14 days will be subject to fines and a mandatory quarantine. He said the fines will be $2,000 for the first violation, $5,000 for the second and up to $10,000 if they cause harm.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Nobody can stop any citizen from crossing a state border.  They can strongly recommend you self isolate, but that’s it.  We live in FL and have property in CT (currently there) I will be flying back to Florida for a week at the end of  the week.  Tristate is closer to restricting passage in then was the reverse.  

Feels nice to phrase it that way, doesn't it? You're now a Floridian.

45 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Feels nice to phrase it that way, doesn't it? You're now a Floridian.

I cannot disagree that they are now Floridians, but that does not stop Connecticut from collecting property taxes from them. How can they stop them from using their property to the fullest? Basically when people have asked local officials here in my county in upstate NY about the bungalow colony people and other second home owners, that is the answer they get. You cannot stop people from using their second homes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I cannot disagree that they are now Floridians, but that does not stop Connecticut from collecting property taxes from them. How can they stop them from using their property to the fullest? Basically when people have asked local officials here in my county in upstate NY about the bungalow colony people and other second home owners, that is the answer they get. You cannot stop people from using their second homes.

I have homes in both nyc and tampabay area.. when traveling to Florida from ny during crazy months in nyc .. u signed a doc on a plane that you were going into quarantine. For 14 days.. which my daughter did sign and she quarantined upon  her arrival here in Florida. It’s the smart thing to do.. I do believe that nyc now that it’s opening will see a uptick too..

the giant lesson though is you  put sick people with old people .. that’s why fl death rate continues to be low ..

taxes.. suck that’s why I moved to fl lol .. but quarantine from hot spots is sound advise.. .. hoping for effective treatment and cruising when that’s happens 

2 hours ago, bitemyfly said:

I have homes in both nyc and tampabay area.. when traveling to Florida from ny during crazy months in nyc .. u signed a doc on a plane that you were going into quarantine. For 14 days.. which my daughter did sign and she quarantined upon  her arrival here in Florida. It’s the smart thing to do.. I do believe that nyc now that it’s opening will see a uptick too..

the giant lesson though is you  put sick people with old people .. that’s why fl death rate continues to be low ..

taxes.. suck that’s why I moved to fl lol .. but quarantine from hot spots is sound advise.. .. hoping for effective treatment and cruising when that’s happens 

So, they could tell at the airport who was coming from the area from which they wanted people to quarantine. And I imagine that would work to for airports in the tri-state region. But, what about people who do not fly? I see cars on the roads here with Florida plates.

Disneyland is postponing their scheduled re-opening due to uptick in cases.  Don't think DisneyWorld is far behind postponing their 7/15 opening date.  We just entered stage 3 here on Long Island, with NYC just hitting stage 2.  Hopefully will be no uptick here.  The fines Cuomo set for not following quarantine are really high, but I still do not know how they will "catch" someone not quarantining.   I doubt they will go knocking on people's doors!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Disneyland is postponing their scheduled re-opening due to uptick in cases.  Don't think DisneyWorld is far behind postponing their 7/15 opening date.  We just entered stage 3 here on Long Island, with NYC just hitting stage 2.  Hopefully will be no uptick here.  The fines Cuomo set for not following quarantine are really high, but I still do not know how they will "catch" someone not quarantining.   I doubt they will go knocking on people's doors!!

https://news.yahoo.com/eu-bar-americans-bloc-debates-222955980.html

NY and CT are doing a lot better than average. Not surprising.
But at the rate they're going, the lowest-common-denominator crowd will plunge the whole country back into shutdown by autumn.

Just now, buckeyefrank said:

No apology forthcoming.  Good lord.  My point stands in that ALL of the government entities across the world have been all over the place on this virus.  Frankly, they still have no freaking clue.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-no-need-for-healthy-people-to-wear-face-masks-2020-4

The WHO recently came out and reversed that decision but it was well into June when they did.  Forgive me for not trusting an organization that has no idea what it's doing.  No face masks one day, face masks the next.....  masks can protect you.... masks won't protect you but does protect others.....  the virus is primarily transmitted through droplets in the air..... no wait, it's mostly caught by touching things..... no wait, the virus doesn't last that long on surfaces.....

So sorry.  I'm not going to condemn anyone for wearing or not wearing a mask.  It's totally your choice.

Interesting thing about science is that guidance and conclusions change as more facts come out & as more analysis reveals more information. It's called "learning."

Learning requires self-honesty and humility, both is desperately short supply among some portions of the U.S. population. That's why :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/25/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

https://www.stltoday.com/business/national-and-international/coming-back-and-biting-us-us-sees-virus-resurgence/article_dca5ca7c-928f-5af1-a1c4-6d93fe2bda39.html

Good lord, even the Murdoch shysters can't duck the reality:
   https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-coronavirus-deaths-projected-reach-180000-october

Here's an undeniable fact: The WHO and CDC absolutely do recommend masks in public. You posted untruth ... a verifiable, black-or-white matter. And today you  double-down on it. That makes your posts entirely & utterly unreliable from this moment forward.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

What else could it be?

From information currently available, theme park operation would occur in Stage 4.  When would Stage 4 reopening occur?  I cannot say.

Hypothetically, Stage 4 might never happen.  

Edited by logan25

15 minutes ago, logan25 said:

From information currently available, theme park operation would occur in Stage 4.  When would Stage 4 reopening occur?  I cannot say.

Hypothetically, Stage 4 might never happen.  

It was previously announced that they were opening July 17.  SInce then, they have recanted and are postponing their opening.  This was announced yesterday.  I expect Disney worlds do the same thing.  

My advice is certainly not to travel to Florida any time soon (cruising and/or to check on personal real estate). It is one of the States where things are changing so rapidly and every TV network is publishing something different. I am an avid cruiser and have been family cruising for years. We actually stopped all land vacations many years ago. As a result, I too am very disappointed in the Virus effects.   

We can't change and/or influence what the powers to be will implement. I just try and relax and watch old Audie Murphy Westerns. 

This is a quote from an article I found, so yes, I think Disney will delay all their parks  (ncluding Orlando) due to an uptick.

"The company had hoped to reopen Disneyland and Disney California Adventure in Anaheim on July 17 after a four-month closure due to the coronavirus. 

However, California officials have indicated that they won't issue guidelines for theme park reopenings until after July 4, given the rising number of COVID-19  infections throughout the state. 

'Given the time required for us to bring thousands of cast members back to work and restart our business, we have no choice but to delay the reopening of our theme parks and resort hotels until we receive approval from government officials,' Disney said in a statement on Wednesday.

They did not provide a new reopening date for its California parks." 

• Like 1