Restricted travel from the Tri State area

setsail1975

Wow. I feel for you, but please know you are not alone in your delima. Many are facing the same thing. You may want to consider cancelling your booking. Things not looking good for you to sail anyway. If Carnival cancels, then you can always get either:
1.) 100% full refund of your cruise fare, or
2.) 100% future cruise credit, with up to $600 on board credit to be used for a future sailing. 
Those are the basics. for the details you'll have to research the those alternatives. Don't decide on what I say. I'm only offering suggestions. 

Bestest of luck to you. I hope you find your answer. 

Thanks, yes at this time I can only get the most compensation by having the cruise cancel on us. At this point I’m at the point where I just hope they do, but hoping they do it soon ,please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

21 hours ago, helene109 said:

Does it state when that expires? Thanks 

No it does not unfortunately.  Like everything else with this virus, it is up to the whim of the governor / mayors.  Here is the actual text.

Travelers from Areas of Substantial Community Spread

The executive orders issued by Gov. Ron DeSantis that require travelers from areas with substantial community spread of the virus, including the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut tri-state area, to quarantine for 14 days, or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter, are still in effect. Airport screenings and roadside checkpoints are set up to check for potential COVID-19 cases. The checkpoints do not apply to persons involved in commercial activity or to students traveling for the purpose of academic work, internships, sports training or any other activity or program approved by the educational institution. For more information, see executive orders 20-80, 20-82, 20-139 and this FAQ, or call the Florida Department of Health at 1 (866) 779-6121.

23 minutes ago, kingston13 said:

We have been taking it very seriously here and have thankfully flattened the curve where I live

Same here.  However, with all the snowbirds coming back from Florida to roost on Long Island/NY I wouldn't doubt there may be a spike.  

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

Same here.  However, with all the snowbirds coming back from Florida to roost on Long Island/NY I wouldn't doubt there may be a spike.  

We also get people coming up from Florida. And also lots of city people especially the group that flaunted the regulations and had a mass gathering for a funeral when everyone else was deferring memorial services.

We are also fearing a spike.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We also get people coming up from Florida. And also lots of city people especially the group that flaunted the regulations and had a mass gathering for a funeral when everyone else was deferring memorial services.

Same for NJ where I'm at, same exact thing going on in our section as you. I think there's an expressway between our 2 towns.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:29 PM, setsail1975 said:

On top of it according to my employer they are telling me if I travel out of the country via cruising I may be subject to self quarantine for 14 days on my return, which is a whole other issue. Cause I’m not approved for those additional 2 weeks off, even though they are telling me I have to.....

I would contact an employment attorney to see what your legal rights are and where the line is drawn on what your employer can legally require you to do--unpaid.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

A bit off subject, but I see you are from Monticello.  We have a house up there in Smallwood, which we have had for over 30 years.  The past 2 months we have been spending weekends up at the house.  I have "had words" with the people at Valley Cone and at Big Kev's bbq for their servers/cooks not wearing masks, which I thought was required when working around food.  The local stores seem to be in good shape with people following social distancing and wearing masks. No matter where in the world people are - if they do not follow rules set up by the CDC, WHO, local governments, etc., I think this virus will stick around, and possibly even come around again later in the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pe4all said:

A bit off subject, but I see you are from Monticello.  We have a house up there in Smallwood, which we have had for over 30 years.  The past 2 months we have been spending weekends up at the house.  I have "had words" with the people at Valley Cone and at Big Kev's bbq for their servers/cooks not wearing masks, which I thought was required when working around food.  The local stores seem to be in good shape with people following social distancing and wearing masks. No matter where in the world people are - if they do not follow rules set up by the CDC, WHO, local governments, etc., I think this virus will stick around, and possibly even come around again later in the year.

Not to get into an argument, but the latest CDC and WHO guidance actually says that people should NOT wear masks in public, unless you are a nurse working on a covid patient.  With all the misinformation coming from the "world health experts"over the course of this pandemic, I for one, am not going to condemn anyone for not wearing a mask.

24 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Not to get into an argument, but the latest CDC and WHO guidance actually says that people should NOT wear masks in public, unless you are a nurse working on a covid patient.  With all the misinformation coming from the "world health experts"over the course of this pandemic, I for one, am not going to condemn anyone for not wearing a mask.

Definitely not interested in arguing, as there is so much misinformation/differences of opinion around.  However, NY has an executive order saying everyone must wear masks in public places AND social distance.  My real complaint is that when a sign is posted on a door or storefront that says "you must wear masks to enter/be served" I feel it should go both ways.  I am not the one working with food.  People will do what people will do.  The only thing I can do is try to keep my family healthy and safe.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

That's not the current position of either the CDC or the WHO.

CDC:  CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission. 

Source:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

WHO:  Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks.

Source:  https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

I would contact an employment attorney to see what your legal rights are and where the line is drawn on what your employer can legally require you to do--unpaid.

Depending on the job, it has even in place for at least two months.  Currently done in hospitals in the tri state area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pe4all said:

With Florida cases going up, Gov. Cuomo may put travel restrictions on those coming up to NY from Florida.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200618/new-york-considers-quarantine-for-florida-travelers-gov-andrew-cuomo-says

NY has a less than 1% positive rate right now, while Florida is definitely spiking. 

How would he do that? We still are the UNITED States of America. It's not like there is some sort of internal passport.

How would he do that? We still are the UNITED States of America. It's not like there is some sort of internal passport.
The same way Florida and Texas put quarantine restrictions on people from NY/NJ/CT that have yet to be lifted, and Alaska and Hawaii put restrictions on all out-of-state travelers. Border checkpoints on the highway and forms at the airports where you have to advise where you will be staying for 14 days (or the length of your trip, whichever is shorter) and if they go there and you are not there, you are subject to fines and prison.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Like Jobeth said, other states has already done it. I suspect it's not legal, but I'm far from a constitutional expert and states do have broad rights in emergencies, so I could be wrong.

In this case, I think it's more a political tit-for-tat since Florida has maintained their quarantine of NY and holier than thou attitude even as their numbers have spiked far above New York's current numbers.

setsail1975-

I thinkyour concern about self quarantine in Florida pre- cruise is moot. 

That cruise,most likely,will be cancelled .

By the way, do you really want to leave CT,whose numbers indicate virus mitigation to go to FL where case numbers have increased significantly since the reopening of that state ?

ontheweb

Did you voice an objection when Florida and Texas put travel restrictions on NY,NJ,CT and Hawaii and Alaska put restrictions on travelers from any of the other states?

NY has done a good job getting the virus cases down. Why put us in a position of an uptick in cases such as we are seeing in states that have not been so cautious in their reopening protocols ?

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

ontheweb

Did you voice an objection when Florida and Texas put travel restrictions on NY,NJ,CT and Hawaii and Alaska put restrictions on travelers from any of the other states?

NY has done a good job getting the virus cases down. Why put us in a position of an uptick in cases such as we are seeing in states that have not been so cautious in their reopening protocols ?

Look where I am from. it is also in NY state.

Also read my post, it asks how can you do that as opposed to being an objection. Are there going to be police checkpoints at every road that is a border crossing? 

We are currently booked on the August 8th sailing on the Breeze departing from Port Canaveral. We also live in CT where as of right now we are one of the states that are currently mandated to self quarantine upon arrival into Florida. I know as of right we are in limbo as to if the cruise is actually going to sail. I’m just curious how the cruise line will handle this. I called Carnival and the agent made it seem as if there wouldn’t be a problem, but we are scheduled to fly in the day before the cruise into Orlando. Honestly I feel she may have not known what to say to me.

It's probably a moot point now, but I'm on the August 1st sailing on the Magic, going to Florida a week early, and our hotel e-mailed me to confirm that I was not from NY, NJ, or CT and stated that if I had a drivers license from either of those states I would not be permitted to check in.  That would be not be a Carnival problem though, that would be a you problem, so you'd have to check with your hotel and see if they'd even let you check in.  

I’ve seen that you are handed a mandatory self isolation form upon arriving at the airport in MCO. Basically saying you will self isolate for the duration of your trip into Florida for at least 14 days or the duration of your stay if less than 14 by signing the form and not abiding , you can be fined or jailed. If this mandate is lifted by our sailing then we will be fine, but if not has anyone heard how Carnival is handling this? Will we be exempt from cancellation penalties from Carnival?

You'd be breaking Florida policy, not Carnival policy.  the mandate is not lifted, but because you'd be boarding the ship, and CCL is not Florida, therefore it's not held to Florida's policy.  If you get "caught" and fined, that would be on you.  I don't think CCL would allow you to be exempt BUT they should allow you to cancel if that's the case, but I'm not queen of the world so I can't make them do the right thing.  I also don't think they're really fining people.  

On top of it according to my employer they are telling me if I travel out of the country via cruising I may be subject to self quarantine for 14 days on my return, which is a whole other issue. Cause I’m not approved for those additional 2 weeks off, even though they are telling me I have to.....I’m just curious if anyone else from the Tri state area has inquired to Carnival and maybe have heard something different that I may not have? This is becoming more of a hassle then it’s worth and even though I booked this week back in December, I regret making my final payment in May.

I work for a major city, and as part of the CARES Act your employer is REQUIRED to give you two weeks off for quarantine if you believe you may have been exposed. So what you would do, when you return home, you inform your employer that you could have been exposed and will be taking two weeks paid time as required through the CARES Act, with that mandate in place until December 31, 2020. 

setsail1975-
     I thinkyour concern about self quarantine in Florida pre- cruise is moot. 
That cruise,most likely,will be cancelled .
      By the way, do you really want to leave CT,whose numbers indicate virus mitigation to go to FL where case numbers have increased significantly since the reopening of that state ?

Well yes, It looks pretty much like a cancelled cruise. I was originally booked at Disney for the week before I changed to the cruise. I still kept 1 night staying at the Disney Polynesian resort the one night prior to the cruise. Seeing that Disney was possibly going to open again. Then the restrictions remain in place for us coming from CT anyway.

I still have flights booked into Florida regardless if the cruise happened or not so if the restriction was lifted then we would have still had our vacation to just Florida. As far as leaving CT, I worked through this whole pandemic on the frontlines in healthcare,so I would continue to be vigilant with our safety precautions wherever I go. I refuse to live in a bubble . After working through all these months of very stressful times, I really was hoping to get a week away with my little family of 5. I have a decent chunk of money vested into this trip. That will be held up to a few months if things are all cancelled and reading a lot of comments from other Carnival passengers with cancelled cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

13 hours ago, xitappers2bx said:

It's probably a moot point now, but I'm on the August 1st sailing on the Magic, going to Florida a week early, and our hotel e-mailed me to confirm that I was not from NY, NJ, or CT and stated that if I had a drivers license from either of those states I would not be permitted to check in.  That would be not be a Carnival problem though, that would be a you problem, so you'd have to check with your hotel and see if they'd even let you check in.  

You'd be breaking Florida policy, not Carnival policy.  the mandate is not lifted, but because you'd be boarding the ship, and CCL is not Florida, therefore it's not held to Florida's policy.  If you get "caught" and fined, that would be on you.  I don't think CCL would allow you to be exempt BUT they should allow you to cancel if that's the case, but I'm not queen of the world so I can't make them do the right thing.  I also don't think they're really fining people.  

I work for a major city, and as part of the CARES Act your employer is REQUIRED to give you two weeks off for quarantine if you believe you may have been exposed. So what you would do, when you return home, you inform your employer that you could have been exposed and will be taking two weeks paid time as required through the CARES Act, with that mandate in place until December 31, 2020. 

just FYI, the cares act doesn’t apply to everyone. At least in Ohio. I work for a city police department and our personnel section sent the info out saying they had to but it doesn’t apply to the police. I read it at the time and I believe it specifically excludes first responders and health care workers but I could be mistaken.

14 hours ago, xitappers2bx said:

Would intentionally putting yourself in danger , going to a hot spot for instance,  negate the paid time off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xitappers2bx said:

But what if you are either a New York resident with a second home in Florida, or if NY passes a similar policy a Floridian with a second home in NY state? Are you going to prohibit people from living part time in property they own?

A lot of NY City residents have bungalows up in my area of NY state. Locals have asked about this and the response from the county government has been you cannot keep people out of property they own. (And some of them are up here already and do not wear masks. I expect a spike in my area of NY state even if the state as a whole is trending down.)