Australia " very likely" to be closed for the rest of the year.

Apologies if this has been posted already today:

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/australia-very-unlikely-to-allow-foreign-tourists-in-2020-20200617-p553a6

We were supposed to be going in January 2021 but moved to 2022 as have doubts that we will get in even then.

R.C. have several cruises on sail up to end of December likely to be affected.

• Like 1

If Australia is closed until January 2021 using our current virus stats & data, it would be equivalent to the USA having less than 400 new cases per day & no new daily deaths.  The USA is a long way from those numbers!  

I doubt cruising out of the USA will happen anytime this year.  Remember..... the biggest issue facing the cruise lines is not the passengers..... it’s the staff.  How to get the staff back on to ships & guarantee absolutely no virus.  That will be a long process & one that won’t happen until the USA’s stats & data become similar to Australia, & their “active cases” graph has flattened out with less than 10% of all positive cases still active. Currently 2.2m positive & 1.2m active. Or the silver bullet arrives!

Currently in the USA in every group of 2,760 people 1 person is dying. 

Currently in Australia in every group of 250,000 people 1 person is dying. (25% of deaths in Australia came off cruise ships!)

The USA population is 13 times greater than Australia, hence, based on the stats & data the virus is running rampant in the USA.  The USA needs to be further locked down to stop the spread & not opened up.  

Would you really want to be hoping to go on a cruise out of the USA anytime soon?

• Like 5

We're also currently booked on a cruise out of Sydney early next year and are losing hope it'll happen so we booked an alternate for 2022. Really bummed b/c we have family in Sydney we were planning to visit - have to wait another year now 😢

The big problem for me is that 2022 does not have the circumnavigation itineraries they have in 2021.

I have already done the traditional Sydney to NZ routes.

I may have to look for something else entirely.

5 hours ago, zalusky said:

The big problem for me is that 2022 does not have the circumnavigation itineraries they have in 2021.

I have already done the traditional Sydney to NZ routes.

I may have to look for something else entirely.

I've done the circumnavigation twice. It's looking more than likely we were on the last one this year.

I'm disappointed because it's a great cruise. And now with Sydney having two Quantum Class ships, I can't see it happening again unless another Radiance Class ship does it.

We cannot even leave Australia. We can't go anywhere and to be honest, I'm all for keeping our borders closed. Most of our new cases are international arrivals arriving on maybe 10 flights a day into the country.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AuzzieCruiser said:

We cannot even leave Australia. We can't go anywhere and to be honest, I'm all for keeping our borders closed. Most of our new cases are international arrivals arriving on maybe 10 flights a day into the country.

And in most states, even state borders are still closed.  Here in Western Australia where our border is still closed, we have no community spread at all, and as of today, only 1 active case.  Pretty much all of our cases have come from returning overseas travellers and cruise ships.  Generally, the public here are in strong support of our closed border until NSW and Victoria get their cases down.  I can't see our International borders being opened this year, and I for one am very happy about that!   If so, probably only the for the Australia/New Zealand travel bubble.

When I look at the graph of new daily cases in the USA and the world, it is frightening.  There is no flattening of the curve at all.  I feel it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better the way things are going.  It is so disappointing because I absolutely love travelling to Europe.  However, I can't see that happening again for a very long time.  😪

World.JPG

USA.JPG

Australia.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NaughtyNanna said:

When I look at the graph of new daily cases in the USA and the world, it is frightening.  There is no flattening of the curve at all.  I feel it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better the way things are going.  It is so disappointing because I absolutely love travelling to Europe. 

Austria started opening up two months ago:

image.png.969a2dab08a9eb036de83134fe4f8651.png

• Haha 1

If there is no voluntary testing or random testing, and you only test people who show up at the hospital, you can have lots of infections of people who are not showing signs of the diseases.  If you have a country testing lots and lots of people randomly and you find new cases of people who are not sick... well you end up with a lot of non-comparable statistics.  At this point, we should all be skeptical of statistics and news.  

Failure to be skeptical is bad for your mental health, and a failure to be careful could be bad for your actual health.

jc

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

If there is no voluntary testing or random testing, and you only test people who show up at the hospital, you can have lots of infections of people who are not showing signs of the diseases.  If you have a country testing lots and lots of people randomly and you find new cases of people who are not sick... well you end up with a lot of non-comparable statistics.  At this point, we should all be skeptical of statistics and news.  

Failure to be skeptical is bad for your mental health, and a failure to be careful could be bad for your actual health.

jc

Yes but has been mentioned many people with asymptomatic infections actually have scans showing lung abnormalities IE: Lung damage   These people may exhibit more problems down the road maybe COPD eventually.  Those people who had bad infections and exhibit symptoms may have a much more difficult road to haul going forward.

OK, but are they counted in the statistics if they don’t get tested?

Answer.  NO.

That is all I am saying.  I am not saying anything about the disease.  I am just commenting on junk science aka statistics.

jc

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

jc

What does that have to do with the topic?

Australia isn't only measuring people who go to hospital so not sure where you're going with the rest of that.

Statistics are valid - but you should always understand what is being counted, not just look at headlines. That's the issue - simplistic (non-) analysis.

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

What's Austria got to do with it?

from the poster I quoted - last I looked, Austria is in Europe:

There is no flattening of the curve at all.  I feel it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better the way things are going.  It is so disappointing because I absolutely love travelling to Europe. 

Australia seems to be one of the last countries that will allow free travel to happen again and as i understand the Austrlian Government tries to implement such rules well into next year. Hence even when these regulatins will be loosened earlier than expected which I assume so, already due to Economic reasons it will probably stil mean that Australia will be amongst the last counries to allow cruise ships given that they were causing a major amount of cases in the country. Hence unless we will see the situation drastically improve worldwide there might be no Australian summer crusing season 2020 / 2021.

• Like 1