Face MASK vs. Face SHIELD ???

The mask may be enough but the mask does not protect YOU - according to what I have read - it protects others from you. The shield would actually protect you. Basically, you would be taking responsibility for yourself which is probably the best thing for people to do.

• Like 1

I saw these worn by the staff at a local restaurant.  I thought they were interesting and immediately thought of CC mask threads. LOL

I have way to much time on my hands!

https://www.amazon.ca/Restaurant-Transparent-Anti-Droplet-Reusable-Adjustable/dp/B087MW2C5V/ref=sr_1_5?crid=CMC2HB8V82TQ&dchild=1&keywords=clear+face+mask&qid=1592937484&sprefix=clear+face%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-5

11 hours ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Where did you find that? I would love to get one for my wife...

https://freshlooks.net/go-cruise?fbclid=IwAR14kv7ibeyHAvJqtOWVL-sEE4G6Vz4JA8579Y7lnBzJCIZa4ZnC2vH0LdY&options=pack-of-1-3-layer-mask&v=5ee5a02d8ae0690fdba49970

I've never bought anything from them before so I can't vouch for them.  Good thing is they are out of California and there's a phone number to call.  If you scroll through their products, they have other masks relating to cruising as well.   Hope one day we can use them on an actual ship! 

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think the mask is more than enough. The shield is going a bit far. Really looks desperate.

I agree. I think a mask is enough. Save the face shields for those who are required to use them in their occupation. 

School Districts are talking about face shields for children as a means of kee5them from touching their face. Of course  the bigger risk is protecting the teachers from students who may be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. 

On 6/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, boscobeans said:

Lots of discussion going on as to if the face shield will take the place of the face mask.

Some claim it is just as effective against Covid-19, no effect on breathing, can be easily washed, doesn't get wet and covers mouth and eyes as well.

Just wondering what others think?

It is an air born virus-so a shield alone won't protect you as you are breathing in thru nose and mouth

On 6/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, boscobeans said:

Lots of discussion going on as to if the face shield will take the place of the face mask.

Some claim it is just as effective against Covid-19, no effect on breathing, can be easily washed, doesn't get wet and covers mouth and eyes as well.

Just wondering what others think?

I have yet to see anyone wearing a shield.In fact as I look out my window I see very few people wearing masks.

Again the choice is to whether you want to protect yourself or if you want to keep pointing at people who don't where masks.  A shield is protection for you which is important - right?  A mask is protection for someone else - which is nice but who wants to rely on someone else to protect you.   My choice would be a shield and it seems in the Science world they would agree.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:17 AM, squale2 said:

Again the choice is to whether you want to protect yourself or if you want to keep pointing at people who don't where masks.  A shield is protection for you which is important - right?  A mask is protection for someone else - which is nice but who wants to rely on someone else to protect you.   My choice would be a shield and it seems in the Science world they would agree.

Looks interesting.. I ordered 5 and will have a review from a few heathcare workers after they arrive.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Looks interesting.. I ordered 5 and will have a review from a few heathcare workers after they arrive.

Nice video comparing masks to shields -  of course they fail to mention that using the shield protects you and using the mask does not necessarily protect you but tends to protect others - which is a key point regarding masks

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

I must be the only one that is envisioning how gross the clear shield will be when someone sneezes while wearing it.

It would be worse in a mask - except you can't see it (but probably can feel it)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squale2 said:

It would be worse in a mask - except you can't see it (but probably can feel it)

It would be worse for the person wearing a mask but I don't want to see someones clear shield covered in droplets of snot.

3 hours ago, squale2 said:

Nice video comparing masks to shields -  of course they fail to mention that using the shield protects you and using the mask does not necessarily protect you but tends to protect others - which is a key point regarding masks

From the 1 minute mark Dr. Adalja appears to be saying the opposite is true.

As to a sloppy sneeze, lift the shield off with one hand and sneeze into a handkerchief or your elbow, better than sneezing into a mask that would have to be tossed or washed.

Will give these gizmos a real tryout once I get them.....

15 hours ago, boscobeans said:

From the 1 minute mark Dr. Adalja appears to be saying the opposite is true.

As to a sloppy sneeze, lift the shield off with one hand and sneeze into a handkerchief or your elbow, better than sneezing into a mask that would have to be tossed or washed.

Will give these gizmos a real tryout once I get them.....

The word out is that the mask will stop large droplets (like those from the person who is wearing it) but it will not stop all of the smaller droplets (floating in the air from someone else). 

So the wearer will contain those large droplets in the mask and will breath them in all day. I guess that is not a problem either.

40 minutes ago, squale2 said:

The word out is that the mask will stop large droplets (like those from the person who is wearing it) but it will not stop all of the smaller droplets (floating in the air from someone else). 

So the wearer will contain those large droplets in the mask and will breath them in all day. I guess that is not a problem either.

Just the messenger of information on a subject from people with much more expertise than I have.

A recent opinion piece in JAMA by Eli Perencevich, M.D., a professor of internal medicine and epidemiology at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, and two of his colleagues pointed to such benefits of shields for infection prevention, and noted that “face shields appear to significantly reduce the amount of inhalation exposure to influenza virus, another droplet-spread respiratory virus."

"In a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96 percent when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough.” 

In an April 19 tweet Perencevich wrote, “Biggest benefit of face shields would be inside crowded office situations where air exchanges aren't ideal."

Sounds like several areas that cruise passengers encounter.