Face MASK vs. Face SHIELD ???

On 6/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, squale2 said:

The mask may be enough but the mask does not protect YOU - according to what I have read - it protects others from you. The shield would actually protect you. Basically, you would be taking responsibility for yourself which is probably the best thing for people to do.

Think about this statement. It really doesn't make sense.  Person A has the virus and is wearing a mask.  The mask supposedly stops the particles from escaping into the air, right?  That's how it "protects others".  

Person B doesn't have the virus and is wearing a mask.  Wouldn't their mask ALSO stop the virus from getting through to the nose & mouth?  How would a mask stop the virus from one person, but NOT stop the virus on the other person?

Also, they say you're not supposed to touch the outside of your mask.  If your mask doesn't do anything to stop the virus, why not?  

4 hours ago, squale2 said:

The mask does not protect you from someone who is not wearing a mask (according to what I have read).  Small droplets from someone not wearing a mask can get through your mask. 

That was what the statement was supposed to convey. 

So you are dependent on people wearing masks to protect you. 

But if you wear a shield you would be protecting yourself whether or not someone else is not wearing a mask or shield.

The shield puts the control in your hands and not someones else.

Sorry that I didn't word that correctly originally

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Think about this statement. It really doesn't make sense.  Person A has the virus and is wearing a mask.  The mask supposedly stops the particles from escaping into the air, right?  That's how it "protects others".  

Person B doesn't have the virus and is wearing a mask.  Wouldn't their mask ALSO stop the virus from getting through to the nose & mouth?  How would a mask stop the virus from one person, but NOT stop the virus on the other person?

Also, they say you're not supposed to touch the outside of your mask.  If your mask doesn't do anything to stop the virus, why not?  

It works that way because when the particles leave the wearer's mouth/nose, they are bigger, and more easily caught by a mask being worn by that person.  By the time those particles reach someone else, they have evaporated/broken apart, and are much smaller, and are thus not as easily caught in a common mask.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

It works that way because when the particles leave the wearer's mouth/nose, they are bigger, and more easily caught by a mask being worn by that person.  By the time those particles reach someone else, they have evaporated/broken apart, and are much smaller, and are thus not as easily caught in a common mask.

So why shouldn't you touch the outside of the mask?  Because the virus is (potentially) on it, right?  Which means it stopped the virus from getting to your face.  Therefore, protection for you.

AND, if the mask will catch "large" droplets, the mask you wear should stop the large droplets expelled by those not wearing masks (or not wearing them correctly).  Therefore, protection for you.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So why shouldn't you touch the outside of the mask?  Because the virus is (potentially) on it, right?  Which means it stopped the virus from getting to your face.  Therefore, protection for you.

AND, if the mask will catch "large" droplets, the mask you wear should stop the large droplets expelled by those not wearing masks (or not wearing them correctly).  Therefore, protection for you.

I don't know the answer regarding touching the mask.  My guess would be that just touching on or near the face is bad, mask or not.

For your second point, by the time the large droplets expelled by someone reach another person, they are generally no longer large, so they can more easily get through a mask.  Obviously having a mask does provide some protection for the wearer, but stopping the large droplets at the source is better.

I’ve been curious about case shields as an alternative as I’m a teacher and may be offered a choice. My dental hygienist said you can breathe better with a face shield, which is what I was thinking would be the advantage. The problem is that when you sweat, it slides down your face, so she wears a surgical hat to keep it in place. 

5 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’ve been curious about case shields as an alternative as I’m a teacher and may be offered a choice. My dental hygienist said you can breathe better with a face shield, which is what I was thinking would be the advantage. The problem is that when you sweat, it slides down your face, so she wears a surgical hat to keep it in place. 

The face shield will also protect you from spit wads. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, boscobeans said:

Lots of discussion going on as to if the face shield will take the place of the face mask.

Some claim it is just as effective against Covid-19, no effect on breathing, can be easily washed, doesn't get wet and covers mouth and eyes as well.

Just wondering what others think?

I have been wondering about this for the last couple of days. I caught a q&a with a local emergency Dr who indicated that face shields was his preference. According to him it provides a suitable barrier for both incoming and outgoing spittle with advantages including better non verbal communications and higher comfort levels.

At the very least, face shields would be an excellent choice for those who communicate using asl.

Take a look at the few shots you see of emergency rooms or high exposure/high risk medical people.  I'll wager they are double protected at a minimum

1) Eyes- yup that is a entry point into your body and anything there can gain entrance to your lungs.  Everyone in surgery has safety glasses/eye protection!

2) Noise/mouth and breath filter - MASK, sorry a face shield does NOTHING to any suspended droplets you might breath in and around your face shield.   What they do is stop the directional blast from peoples breath, sneezes, talking, cough.

I guess I find the high level of resistance/heat/discomfort/difficulty to breath of the mask all the more reason it wear it.  It is filtering all that air, yeah even if the fit isn't totally perfect better than face shield.

I see so many anti-mask argue about how the N95, or others aren't worn correctly, but believe me a incorrect worn is better than being naked.      Try this, wear your winter jacket, hat, gloves when it is really, cold and windy.  I'm sure properly worn you'll feel less chill seeping thru your gloves, coat, etc., , but really better , far better than going out there naked, LOL

For better or worse I have started going to the gym, here in our city no mask is required, a few like me wear them in there, most don't, there I wear them to protect my self from all those people.   Now would I go to a bar ( no way ), sports even ( maybe if masks are required, LOL )

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 2

As a nurse I now have to wear a mask and face shield all day.  If I work with covid it’s more but this is the minimum now for the whole shift in the hospital.  I know they are trying to protect us and I appreciate that but it’s very difficult. 

59 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Noise/mouth and breath filter - MASK, sorry a face shield does NOTHING to any suspended droplets you might breath in and around your face shield.   

OK, I'll bite.  Assuming the face shield reaches at least your chin level, how exactly do the droplets go DOWN below the face shield, then back UP  behind the face shield to your mouth/nose/eyes?

I don't see a thing wrong with shields.  If someone is more comfortable in a shield than a mask, more power to them!

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK, I'll bite.  Assuming the face shield reaches at least your chin level, how exactly do the droplets go DOWN below the face shield, then back UP  behind the face shield to your mouth/nose/eyes?

I don't see a thing wrong with shields.  If someone is more comfortable in a shield than a mask, more power to them!

The virus is small and suspended in the spreaders sneeze, cough or simply the moisture carried out of their lungs.  Those suspended droplets can go far and wide, 6' is a nice rule of thumb but you did read about the choir practice in Washington?    

If you are near someone who is a high load spreader those droplets  can be suspended whisked around a face shield.

So that is why N95 or other fully covered mask that filters the air is really more than a good idea, it is a protective shield protecting and filtering the air.  Nothing is perfect, but a face shield just is a direct barrier, air flows around it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-coronavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-far1/

11 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The virus is small and suspended in the spreaders sneeze, cough or simply the moisture carried out of their lungs.  Those suspended droplets can go far and wide, 6' is a nice rule of thumb but you did read about the choir practice in Washington?    

If you are near someone who is a high load spreader those droplets  can be suspended whisked around a face shield.

So that is why N95 or other fully covered mask that filters the air is really more than a good idea, it is a protective shield protecting and filtering the air.  Nothing is perfect, but a face shield just is a direct barrier, air flows around it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-coronavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-far1/

No where did I say the virus wasn't airborne.  I asked specifically how the airborne virus would be able to move UP from below the level of the face mask to where the mouth, nose and eyes are.  

Is a face shield  a 100% barrier?  Of course not.  But neither is cloth face mask.  And I never said you shouldn't wear anything.  But some people have problems wearing masks.  Whether you believe those problems are real or not, if someone is more comfortable wearing a shield, why not let them?  

Even doctors are split on which is "better". 

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/shields-compared-to-masks.html

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=230978

https://www.self.com/story/face-shields-coronavirus

20 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

As a nurse I now have to wear a mask and face shield all day.  If I work with covid it’s more but this is the minimum now for the whole shift in the hospital.  I know they are trying to protect us and I appreciate that but it’s very difficult. 

Kudos and thanks for your valuable effort, got to be frustrating to see so many people don't care at all.

My daughter is going to be a nurse, I wonder now if that is prudent given how I see most in the US are so inconsiderate and care only for their selfish freedom and expect if worse comes to worse others to risk their lives to treat them or their collateral damage.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:03 PM, chipmaster said:

I see so many anti-mask argue about how the N95, or others aren't worn correctly, but believe me a incorrect worn is better than being naked.      Try this, wear your winter jacket, hat, gloves when it is really, cold and windy.  I'm sure properly worn you'll feel less chill seeping thru your gloves, coat, etc., , but really better , far better than going out there naked, LOL

I love the analogy.  While I haven't had to have a discussion about the pro's/con's of face masks/shields, I will keep this in mind, I case do.

If a cloth mask is causing skin irritation, ladies can avoid wearing makeup.  I haven't worn foundation since lockdown. 😳     I don't want to think about how my makeup would feel under a mask, even after 30 minutes.  Ugh.  Highly perfumed aftershaves could be a problem for men. 

We wash all our masks (and general laundry) in Free&Clear type detergents and never use fabric softeners or dryer sheets due to allergies.  Their oily residue and/or their perfumes can cause skin breakouts for sensitive skin.  

I suggest to friends who will wear the cloth masks I've made for them for work that they change them out after 2-3 hours and put on a fresh one.   I give them three or four, and encourage them to wash them every night.  They can be hand washed in the sink.  This virus is susceptible to soap/detergents so hot water isn't necessary. We don't boil wash our hands during the day, and that works.

We prefer the pleated style to the contour  style that is more prevalent on the internet and we see almost everywhere.  Those contour ones are not 'one size fits all' and the majority of improperly worn masks are that style.

Cotton breathes better than synthetic fabrics, IMO..  The masks I make include a sleeve on the inside for a nose wire.  This helps it fit better at the top of the nose and really cuts down with the glasses lens fogging. 

Edited by Walfam

On 6/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Oppalopa said:

I had trouble breathing thru a mask till a nurse told me to breathe through my mouth.   Big difference,

Constantly breathing through your mouth can cause problems for your body as well (the last point is rather interesting, but not important to the conversation).

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/7-surprising-facts-nose/