Americans banned from Europe in the near future

susiesan

4 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Common question

Do masks protect you from the coronavirus disease?

Face masks do not protect you from COVID-19. It is much more important to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face and eyes. Specific types of face masks can protect health professionals looking after people with the virus.
Just sayin'
Jxx

So you are saying that there is no point for you to wear a mask?

Do you feel equally safe in a "crowd: without a mask as you would with one.

Yes, the mask is not the final answer but one of the few we have now. It protects more others from those that are likely to spread it by sneezing, coughing, laughing, shouting but gives some protection to the wearer from others as well.

• Like 2

Me thinks that with personal rights there are personal responsibilities which so many people are forgetting. There too are collective rights and sometimes those are forgotten. "Just wear the damn mask" and you might just help a little with the spread of the virus ,save a life and in the long run help get our lives back to "normal".   "Be  safe, be calm and be kind" , "Bigger Spaces Fewer Faces" Dr Bonnie Henry CMO Province of BC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Common question

Face masks do not protect you from COVID-19. It is much more important to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face and eyes. Specific types of face masks can protect health professionals looking after people with the virus.
Just sayin'
Jxx

I find it mind boggling that we are even discussing whether to wear a mask or not in public.

While the mask will not give you 100% protection from acquiring the virus, let me ask you this.

Let's say that you are walking on a street or in a supermarket without a mask. Some one near you without a mask happens to cough or sneeze - things like this do happen. Would you feel better wearing a mask yourself or would you rather have them cough/sneeze on you (accidentally). I know which scenario I would prefer.

Of course, wearing a mask protects others from you as you may be an asymptomatic carrier.

Can we just all agree to wear a mask in public for everyone's sake?

We have very few tools at the moment against COVID - wearing masks and social distancing, washing your hands are about it (other than never leaving your home).

Alternatively, you can try a Lysol injection or a colonoscopy with an ultraviolet light?

PS AFAIK, every single country that dealt with the virus successfully REQUIRED that everyone wear a mask in public (in addition to other measures they have taken). S. Korea. Taiwan, Singapore and even Italy, Spain and France wrote the manual for us of how to handle this - all we have to do is follow their example. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, blacksmith said:

So, do you wear a mask in public?
Most rational people believe that Dr Fauci is the most qualified expert to take advice from on this subject. “Wear a mask”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe that Dr. Fauci is the most qualified expert to take advice from on this subject.  He has flip flopped too many times for me and speaks out of both sides of his mouth.  I don't believe there are any COVID experts as they all constantly demonstrate how little they know about this virus.  That's not an expert to me.  I think both sources he cited (the WHO and the CDC) are exceptional and if scientists can disagree so can we. You guys all say listen to the scientist until they say something you don't want to hear, then you want to shutdown debate.

I wear a mask in public because it freaks people out, not because I think it has much value.  In fact, I've noticed people invading my 6 foot space a lot more because the mask gives them some false sense of security.  If I had to choose between social distancing and the porous cloth mask, I'd choose social distancing.  Since I don't, I do both but I don't disparage others who choose not to.  People aren't breaking the rules, wearing a mask is not mandatory in most states.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, babydrum said:

People aren't breaking the rules, wearing a mask is not mandatory in most states.  

That is exactly the problem. Maybe that is why some States are doing much better than others.

Many - apparently you included - feel they know more about COVID than Dr. Fauci and decide for themselves what is the best thing to do..

And that is precisely why we are where we are right now.

It would help if our leadership lead by example rather than vanity.

POTUS can get tested everyday if he wishes and won’t allow anyone near him without being tested. None of us have that luxury.

We are flying blindly without radar so we have to do other things - like distancing, masks, Washing hands, etc.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, babydrum said:

People aren't breaking the rules, wearing a mask is not mandatory in most states.  

It is not so much what is mandatory it is what is RIGHT. PS It isn't only Dr. Fauci who is recommending a mask - experience & research throughout the world has shown wearing a mask can be beneficial in limiting transmission when physical distancing is not possible.

• Like 1

I'm not comfortable dictating what is right when people aren't breaking any rules. Perhaps the rules need to be changed to make wearing a face mask mandatory if it's so beneficial.   Like I said, if experts can disagree, so can we.  

Edited by babydrum
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That is exactly the problem. Maybe that is why some States are doing much better than others.

Many - apparently you included - feel they know more about COVID than Dr. Fauci and decide for themselves what is the best thing to do..

And that is precisely why we are where we are right now.

It would help if our leadership lead by example rather than vanity.

You have decided for yourself that the best thing to do is to follow Dr. Fauci, I decide which scientists I follow just like you do and I am not impressed by Dr. Fauci. He acts more like a politician than a medical professional, in my opinion.  That being said, I've already stated that I wear a mask in public and practice social distancing and I guess I should have added that I was my hands for more than 20 seconds every time I touch anything.  I just don't believe that the cloth mask offers the protection for others than you think it does.  If you recall, Dr. Fauci and the surgeon were against wearing a mask before they were for it.  In fact, they warned that it was actually more dangerous to wear one than not.  You can deify Dr.  Fauci and crew if you like, I look at multiple sources for my information.

• Like 3

I don't believe that Dr. Fauci is the most qualified expert to take advice from on this subject.  He has flip flopped too many times for me and speaks out of both sides of his mouth.  I don't believe there are any COVID experts as they all constantly demonstrate how little they know about this virus.  That's not an expert to me.  I think both sources he cited (the WHO and the CDC) are exceptional and if scientists can disagree so can we. You guys all say listen to the scientist until they say something you don't want to hear, then you want to shutdown debate.

I wear a mask in public because it freaks people out, not because I think it has much value.  In fact, I've noticed people invading my 6 foot space a lot more because the mask gives them some false sense of security.  If I had to choose between social distancing and the porous cloth mask, I'd choose social distancing.  Since I don't, I do both but I don't disparage others who choose not to.  People aren't breaking the rules, wearing a mask is not mandatory in most states.  

Thanks for wearing the mask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJRVancouver said:

It is not so much what is mandatory it is what is RIGHT. PS It isn't only Dr. Fauci who is recommending a mask - experience & research throughout the world has shown wearing a mask can be beneficial in limiting transmission when physical distancing is not possible.

Well said, how is what is doing right is debatable.  

It is right to wear a seat belt, but if you never are going to crash whats the point,  it is right to cover your mouth when you sneeze but if nobody is around whats the point, it is right to look both ways before crossing the street, but if you cross where there never is any cars what's the point... on and on and on, when you debate what is simply common sense right then how far we have slipped as a human in a society

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babydrum said:

You have decided for yourself that the best thing to do is to follow Dr. Fauci, I decide which scientists I follow just like you do and I am not impressed by Dr. Fauci. He acts more like a politician than a medical professional, in my opinion.  That being said, I've already stated that I wear a mask in public and practice social distancing and I guess I should have added that I was my hands for more than 20 seconds every time I touch anything.  I just don't believe that the cloth mask offers the protection for others than you think it does.  If you recall, Dr. Fauci and the surgeon were against wearing a mask before they were for it.  In fact, they warned that it was actually more dangerous to wear one than not.  You can deify Dr.  Fauci and crew if you like, I look at multiple sources for my information.

Good for your good behavior and caring.

You know Dr Fauci has a balancing act to not upset his boss and early on in the pandemic there were other motivations to the no mask position

1) Huge shortage

2) Low % of population infected

etc. etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Common question

Just sayin'
Jxx

Link please. That was thought to be true, what, two months ago? Or was it three?

1 hour ago, babydrum said:

I wear my mask in public too and feel social distancing is much more important. Most surgeons wear their mask to not infect the patient and these homemade cloth masks do not filter well according to what I have read. 

How about the people wearing masks that clearly have not been washed in weeks? Yuck. I also wash ours daily after each use.

As for Fauci, I remember well when he stated that if you are young and healthy, go take your cruise on March 9, 2020. CDC just put out info on how many cruise ships had the virus. Not many did not have it. Scary.

This is all new and the scientists change their minds with the wind. I do not know what to believe anymore except that I do not want to get it. I just follow the rules and use my best judgement.

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

t is right to wear a seat belt, but if you never are going to crash whats the point,

The point is that you have made a conscious decision that will potentially harm ONLY you - your call.

When you don't wear a mask you are making a decision for yourself and others without their consent that may potentially harm them.

Big difference.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

The point is that you have made a conscious decision that will potentially harm ONLY you - your call.

When you don't wear a mask you are making a decision for yourself and others without their consent that may potentially harm them.

Big difference.

Oh, I fully agree, EVERYONE should wear a mask, sigh but we see the position here.. 😞

I saw an interesting article recently about how people's viewpoints are determined by where they get their news. Manipulation and propaganda on both sides. Being a radical moderate like myself it's amusing to watch the rabid views from either end of the spectrum.  I don't know what's right, but I do know what dignity and civility looks like. 

While I enjoy Europe I wasn't planning on going anytime soon anyway. There is a lot of America we haven't seen. 

• Like 1

We live in Arizona.
At this stage of the game, deciding what needs to be done to suppress the COVID-19 outbreak is not rocket science. Many countries and most of Europe have dealt with this virus and achieved relative success in mitigating the effects.
We don’t need to rely on experts, politicians, next door neighbors, or CC to decide best practices.
Just do what works:
Wear masks
Social distance
Avoid gatherings

Here in the USA we are completely divided on our approach, and the consequences of that make for a dismal failure.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1