More Excursions With A Cost

jhenry1

We are booked on a cruise in May from Jerusalem to Rome and they have just provided the available excursions for all of the ports.  It seems to me that there are now a large majority of the excursions that they are charging a fee for that in the past they were free.  The reason I am saying this is that we have been to many of these ports and some of the exact excursions that we have done in the past now are no longer free.  Also excursions that have a fee in most of the ports outweigh the ones they are offering for free.  A majority of the time we book private excursions but sometimes we will do the Regent excursions.  I just noticed this fact and wondering if others have noticed this.  maybe this is a way to recoup some of their lost revenue or are the port cities charging Regent  more due to the shutdown for many months .  Most likely a combination of both.  

I noticed an increase in Regent Choice excursions vs. "free" excursions last year.  As you noted, excursions that we have taken previously that were included now have a cost.  We tend to avoid included excursions in most ports due to the number of passengers on each bus (which, as you know, varies).  

I'm wondering if all of the $1,000 OBC offers is to help passengers pay for these excursions.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I noticed an increase in Regent Choice excursions vs. "free" excursions last year.  As you noted, excursions that we have taken previously that were included now have a cost.  We tend to avoid included excursions in most ports due to the number of passengers on each bus (which, as you know, varies).  

I'm wondering if all of the $1,000 OBC offers is to help passengers pay for these excursions.

So they give away the $1000 and take it right back by charging for things that used to be free. Very tricky.

• Like 1

I'm only guessing about the $1,000 OBC promotion.  There are quite a few long time Regent cruisers that will not use the $1,000 for excursions (we may use it for one or two).  I would still rather have the promotion than not have it.

I am really thinking that both Regent and the ports where the ship stops are both uping the cost due to a lack of business for so many months.  I am hoping by May of next year there is a vaccine or we will not be cruising so none of this will matter anyway.  I need to do some research and see if our private guides are charging more.

Edited by jhenry1

Also keep in mind that because of the new health protocols, most of the excursions will essentially be ‘small group excursions’ which usually have an upcharge. Regent will likely occur additional costs due to needing more buses, tour guides, etc. so I can’t really criticize them for charging more for some excursions.

How were you able to get excursions for next May already?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

I have not booked that is in August but they have posted what is available  with the prices. Regent did this very early. 

This early the list of excursions on the website may not be definitive.

Nearer the time for booking some may be added, some may be removed.

4 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

I have not booked that is in August but they have posted what is available  with the prices. Regent did this very early. 

Thanks for the tip. I was able to get the excursions for our cruise from Hong Kong in March. While obviously still incomplete, the vast majority of excursions listed were “free”, even all day excursions with lunch.

53 minutes ago, wripro said:

The Regent was xcursions we’re never free, they were included n the inflated fares. Now not only are many of them no longer included you’ll have to pay extra for them.

Let's not go with conspiracy theories yet.  It is probably that they are still determining which included excursions they can run in a safe way.  A lot of their suppliers could still be furloughed so info is just not available

• Like 1

Wipro I have no idea what your problem is with Regent and actually I don't care. I am really  not sure why you feel the need to post unfounded accusations on this board.  Or do you have evidence that Regent will put the safety of their crew, contractors and guests at risk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wripro said:

More like in a cheap way than a safe way.

wripro - can you please play nice on the Regent board?  We are trying to keep the board calm and friendly (which I know that you can be).  I'm not a fan of included excursions either but understand that it is a big draw for people new to Regent.  The one thing I hope that we can agree on is that Regent puts the safety of their passengers, crew and ships first. They take it very seriously!

While you're here, has Seabourn given any indication of how they will be resuming cruises (i.e. protocols for sailing, etc.)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

While you're here, has Seabourn given any indication of how they will be resuming cruises (i.e. protocols for sailing, etc.

Not wripro but, sure Seabourn along with all of the other cruise lines who are member of CLIA will follow the same protocols that CLIA will negotiate with CDC and Coast Guard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

wripro - can you please play nice on the Regent board?  We are trying to keep the board calm and friendly (which I know that you can be).  I'm not a fan of included excursions either but understand that it is a big draw for people new to Regent.  The one thing I hope that we can agree on is that Regent puts the safety of their passengers, crew and ships first. They take it very seriously!

While you're here, has Seabourn given any indication of how they will be resuming cruises (i.e. protocols for sailing, etc.)

Tc2  Not only a draw for people new to Regent. I like knowing all my costs up front.  If I choose to pay more for an excursion I can. But as I still work I prefer someone else to do the planning so all I have to do is click on an option as I don't have the freetime to compare costs.

I am prepared to pay Regent for included excursions even though I may not use them just for the convenience of someone else do the planning.  Probably an extra $100 a day but for us who still work and have limited leisure time worth it.  

Not sure why you have mentioned Seabourne on this board though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cerise638 said:

Tc2  Not only a draw for people new to Regent. I like knowing all my costs up front.  If I choose to pay more for an excursion I can. But as I still work I prefer someone else to do the planning so all I have to do is click on an option as I don't have the freetime to compare costs.

I am prepared to pay Regent for included excursions even though I may not use them just for the convenience of someone else do the planning.  Probably an extra $100 a day but for us who still work and have limited leisure time worth it.  

Not sure why you have mentioned Seabourne on this board though

wripro is a Seabourn customer.  I know him from the “Luxury Board”.  Few Seabourn customers come to the Regent board so I asked him about protocols there.  Despite what the previous poster said, there will be a minimum level of protocols that cruse lines will be required to follow but Regent tends to follow a stricter protocol (as they do with muster).  In any case, wripro and I have really tried to get along for many years with a good degree of success.  He does not care for Regent (particularly included excursions).

I do understand the draw of included excursions and have never suggested doing away with them but have suggested that those that do not want included excursions would appreciate receiving a credit to “opt out” (as we do for hotels and flights that are provided by contractors).

Some long time cruisers have been to the same ports multiple times and have no desire to take any excursions.  The argument about excursions had some Regent customers leave Regent as they did not want to pay for them in the fare.  Note:  Regent is the most inclusive of any cruise line and that does not change when they give a credit for things that happen off of the ship.  Once onboard, the inclusiveness is there and likely will not change.

Hope that this makes sense.

Edited by Travelcat2

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent is the most inclusive of any cruise line and that does not change when they give a credit for things that happen off of the ship.

If you take credits for the air, hotel, and (as you propose) excursions, the inclusiveness of Regent would be about the same as the other luxury lines.

• Like 4

Regent business model is to offer included excursions.  Therefore they can plan with suppliers the numbers and negotiate a price based on known bookings.  If this model is disrupted by people opting out then it is no longer sustainable.  If you don't like excursions included in the fare then don't sail Regent.  End of story.   There is no opt out until they change their business model.  If they do I'm Ok with that but it would mean I would look at other offerings

The reason I choose Regent is because it's the easiest option for a time poor person and believe me it is really appreciated.

• Like 1

Your point is well taken - even though I will likely always dislike included excursions.  As a matter of interest (or not), Regent instituted the included excursions during the downturn of the economy about 12 years ago.  Prior to that, they were not included.  Regent does change things from time to time.  Included International Business Class air is amongst the newer changes (as is the upgraded Compass Rose menu and a few other things).  

The main reason that I do not care for included excursions is that it is almost impossible to handle properly (meaning - handled as  one would expect a luxury cruise line to be handled).  Sometimes you sit endlessly in the theater waiting for your bus number to be called.  There could be up 5-10 buses going to the same places.  They try to time the stops so that all the buses do not arrive at the same stop at the same time.  This often means having a wine tasting at 9:30 a.m. or lunch 3:30 p.m.  In terms of restroom stops, there could be 3-4 buses at the same stop with only one or two stalls for women.  The excursions often run late and when this happens, most passengers want to get back to the ship (for lunch or to join up with an afternoon excursion).  Sometimes the tour operator insists on making that last stop (usually a tourist shop).  More than once we had to vote whether we go back to the ship or to the shop.  Of course, there are people that have difficulty walking that insist on taking excursions that are strenuous.  We have waited up to an hour for these folks to get back to the bus.

Lest I sound insensitive to people with disabilities, I am not.  I feel that they should board first and sit in the front of the bus.  However, when it comes time to get off of the bus, I feel that the same courtesy should be shown to the rest of the passengers rather than waiting until wheelchairs, walkers, etc. are brought out for them.  Regent's onboard excursion descriptions are very specific in terms of walking, standing, stairs, uneven surfaces, etc.  I did a cruise about 5 years ago (on Regent of course) after a knee replacement surgery.  We chose only excursions that were rated "1 person" (the lowest rating that accommodates disabled people).  I did not sit in the front seats (although some able bodied people did - another issue that bothers me).  I did wait until others got off of the bus before I slowly made my way out.  

Believe it or not, there are even more reasons why I dislike included excursions.  However, having said that, most Regent Choice excursions are very well done and worth every penny.   There are also areas of the world where I do included excursions.  Those include the Middle East, Africa and the Amazon.  Excursions in those areas tend to be much better than in Europe (as an example).  

I do understand the time restriction issue.  However, IMHO, it is very important to do as much research as possible before booking a Regent cruise - even if it is only for a few hours on a weekend.  It is also important to have a TA that regularly books Regent cruises.  They can assist you in many ways (like recommending a suite that is not under the pool or other noisy areas).  Most luxury TA's also rebate a percentage of your cruise.  And, for many people, booking "custom air" (aka deviation) is important.  Booking flights of. your choice 270 days prior to the cruise (based on Regent contracted carriers) is much preferred to waiting until Regent books your flights 90 or days prior to your cruise.  

Obviously, this subject is a hot button for me.

P.S.  Like you, I have suggested that people not cruise Regent if there is something that they do not like.  I got blasted for that opinion.  IMO, sailing on a cruise line that meets almost all of your requirements is better than a cruise line that you are not comfortable with.  Sorry for the long post! 

It may be easier to have Regent book your excursions but you are hanging out with 30-40+ people on a bus and there are mixed reviews of the value of those "inclusions". For me, I am likely to visit a port only once in my life (as I like to go to different places and see different things) and the value of a small private tour is absolutely worth it. But I feel guilty not getting something for my money and since it's "included" I tend to go with Regent's offerings. I wish they would let people opt out and get a credit but I realize that this is a money maker for them.

• Like 2

Was this article discussed on this forum (I saw it on others).  At least in the next few years, I suspect independent tours may be off the list, if Michael Maura's comments aren't way off the track.  I wonder if enough data will be derived from small ship (under 250 pax) and river cruises to affect regulatory concerns either way.  

He believes the lines are “likely to maintain strict controls over their passengers and ensure they remain in a sterile environment as much as possible.” 

https://cruiseradio.net/nassau-predicts-cruise-passengers-will-be-kept-tight-leash/

What a humorous article.  Regent rarely (if ever) stops in Nassau.  If Regent went there, I don’t think that many passengers would want to get off of the ship.  However, when Regent passengers fly half-way across the world to a destination, they want to see that destination.  

If a port that we are visiting has a issue with Covid-19, we would have no problem staying on the ship (or doing an excursion I suppose).  However, many of us simply want to stop at a local restaurant and walk around town.  Hopefully, if we take precautions (masks and distancing), we can have the amount of freedom that we need.

Nassau, Rome, Singapore....wherever.  I would think national regulators as well as cruise risk managers globally may all have the same concerns, both on protecting residents of the ports and tourism attractions and for cruise passengers and crews.   The risks will be the similar everywhere.  Will testing advance enough to allow easy jaunts off a ship?  Will cruise lines accept independent tours and their risks?   Will signing waivers provide enough comfort for all involved?

I agree a lot of potential passengers will want definitive assurance regarding port visits before plunking down their deposits.