Medallions on all ships?

JF - retired RRT

Just a thought...

This would be the perfect time (if Princess can afford it) to get Medallion tech installed on all the ships. No passengers, no rush job.

Once all ships have the Medallion tech, it would be easy to write a program that would aid in contact tracing...just in case.

• Like 2

I believe some ships still may be on the other side of the world repatriating crew ... maybe give those crew something to do to earn their keep?

Also ...

If the company has any liquidity at all, it should be used for pax refunds before it is sent down the medallion rabbit hole.

JMHIO

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Just a thought...

This would be the perfect time (if Princess can afford it) to get Medallion tech installed on all the ships. No passengers, no rush job.

Once all ships have the Medallion tech, it would be easy to write a program that would aid in contact tracing...just in case.

I thought, based on history, that the ocean experience implementers needed passengers as beta-testers

to actually produce something that worked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Just a thought...

I was thinking that also. It would be a good time to get this done.

Though not the contact tracing.

12 hours ago, skynight said:

Not a good time to hire contractors to fly to these ships, quarantine them,feed them, and then fly them home. Without any income it's also not a good time to incur extra expenses. 

I totally agree with you. I don’t think Princess wants to invest any money until they see what’s going to happen with the cruise Industry. 
Tony

• Like 3

I strongly believe that Carnival Corporation's long-term goal will continue to prioritize these "touchless" forms of identification, but the biggest barrier to fully install them on Princess vessels right now is likely the lack of adequate capital (not to forget the ongoing pandemic-imposed restrictions on work deemed nonessential), so for right now, it's barely a necessity. Princess' website doesn't even include specific dates anymore for the MedallionClass launches, suggesting the initially announced debuts might not happen on-time as planned. 

Princess' problem with funds is shared by other cruise lines too (think postponement or cancellation of dry docks), so we probably won't have all Medallion launches until maybe 2022 or even later? I do think that the new MedallionNet (the WiFi plan) in particular has been a net benefit to customers and the company, but we'll have to see how the installation of that goes as well, since it all likely comes down to funds. MedallionNet is a prerequisite to Medallion implementation and getting the tech and wiring for MedallionNet/Medallion does require a ship to head into dry dock. Time will tell what moves Princess will make.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, Coral said:

I was thinking that also. It would be a good time to get this done.

Why not upgrade the medallion hardware to report body temperature, like some fitness 'watches'.

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Why not upgrade the medallion hardware to report body temperature, like some fitness 'watches'.

This is not the time for additional investments to hardware or software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Just a thought...

That would require passengers to agree to contact tracing.  We'll be using our Medallion as a paperweight.

Roberto256;   I like your thinking.  Apple has all the software in their phones and watches;  surely Princess could have a software program developed that would do the same.  Good idea

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:45 PM, cruzsnooze said:

Why waste money on something not everyone wants or uses. What if they go bankrupt, it would be a poor usage of funds prior to issuing ALL refunds first. 

I am not a fan of this technology but it has not stopped Princess from installing this on multiple ships before COVID-19. So I don't think this is the issue.

I am guessing if they go bankrupt - the shipbuilders will probably get the bulk of any monetary assets and not refunds. I hope we don't find out how this would play out.

Coral the way I see it;  I have no control over Princess going bankrupt; so I am not going to worry about it and if after two years they are out of business or I haven't cruised then I guess I lose my deposits.  But I see a glass half full and expect to see a ship sometime next year.

15 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Coral the way I see it;  I have no control over Princess going bankrupt; so I am not going to worry about it and if after two years they are out of business or I haven't cruised then I guess I lose my deposits.  But I see a glass half full and expect to see a ship sometime next year.

Just don't book any long cruises. I had a 26 night cruise (booked B2B as 1 cruise) on April 19 and final payment was in December! It was like 120 days out. I was in 75% and 100% penalty rate when those who had booked 1 leg or the other leg were in 50% penalty rate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 5:13 PM, snoozecrooze said:

I strongly believe that Carnival Corporation's long-term goal will continue to prioritize these "touchless" forms of identification, but the biggest barrier to fully install them on Princess vessels right now is likely the lack of adequate capital (not to forget the ongoing pandemic-imposed restrictions on work deemed nonessential), so for right now, it's barely a necessity. Princess' website doesn't even include specific dates anymore for the MedallionClass launches, suggesting the initially announced debuts might not happen on-time as planned. 

Princess' problem with funds is shared by other cruise lines too (think postponement or cancellation of dry docks), so we probably won't have all Medallion launches until maybe 2022 or even later? I do think that the new MedallionNet (the WiFi plan) in particular has been a net benefit to customers and the company, but we'll have to see how the installation of that goes as well, since it all likely comes down to funds. MedallionNet is a prerequisite to Medallion implementation and getting the tech and wiring for MedallionNet/Medallion does require a ship to head into dry dock. Time will tell what moves Princess will make.

Last year ships were being refit with the medallion system at sea by Wave Cable.

Just saying...