Dublin Experts needed

Will be visiting Dublin next spring.  How easy is it to get to the city center from where the ships dock?? How easy is it to navigate the city transportation options?  

This will be our first visit to the British Isles and am currently clueless on where to even begin.  Thank you in advance for your expertise and advice. 

Lemme know your best tips...

Both times we visited Dublin, the ship arranged a free shuttle from the port to downtown. It was a short walk the each of the HoHo bus stops, which we used once, then the 2nd time wandered on our own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Both times we visited Dublin, the ship arranged a free shuttle from the port to downtown. It was a short walk the each of the HoHo bus stops, which we used once, then the 2nd time wandered on our own.

What ship were you on that had the free shuttle?

I can’t comment on the options for getting from ship to city center, but I can on navigating once there.  First, many of the things you will likely wish to visit can be walked to.  It’s a very enjoyable walking city center. A couple of the things that are a little further away such as the Kilmainham Gaol and Guinness Storehouse, can be walked to (I did), but most people will look for transportation.  As mentioned above, the city has a good Hop On Hop Off bus route that can be used if you desire.  The further out sites will be stops on the route. Or you could taxi to them.  There’s probably buses that you could research and use.  I’m not familiar with the buses, but they certainly are used throughout the city.  Decide what you want to visit and then pick your transportation.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:07 AM, Heidi13 said:

same with us. Princess ships 

an ther time we took a taxi tour to countryside and enjoyed lunch at pub. Name had Fox in it. 
also in city pedestrian street had Irish stew, best ever can’t remember name. But there are many places to eat, drink in city. HOHO gave good overview and it is enjoyable walk by Molly Malone and church 

We've been to Dublin a few times and have had some wonderful meals/drinks there. My sister is still talking about the great fish ' chips  we had a a place called The Oak. We got a window seat and had fun people watching. 

We've tried getting into the Stag's Head a few times, very historic, but each venture left us disappointed by the crowds. We meandered across the street to another public house type pub/restaurant, but didn't like the menu. 

We had coupons for appetizers/dining from the ho-ho bus booklet, but most didn't open until later in the evening. 

One trip into Dublin, was very windy and cold, so we opted for the first restaurant we saw - and it was a TGI Friday's!  While not a fan of chain restaurants, we actually enjoyed our burger plates and the bar tender made me an excellent Irish coffee while DH enjoyed a pint. It was located in an old hotel thus had interesting atmosphere and decor.

Google or check TA for restaurants - so many options.

Re: shuttle into Dublin....once we had to pay for a bus pass with Princess, another time it was free.  With 5 of us traveling together it was cheaper to hail a cab - 4 passengers only - but remember cabs are priced by the number of passengers. Luckily my niece does marathons and opted to run/walk back to the our meeting point...she beat us due to heavy traffic.  

Darcy

4 hours ago, WatchHill said:

but remember cabs are priced by the number of passengers.

Prices are for the taxi, not per person.  Unless you went 'off meter' for a fixed and agreed price.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Prices are for the taxi, not per person.  Unless you went 'off meter' for a fixed and agreed price.

We had a fixed price for 5 hours. Awhile ago

told driver to take us where the big red bus doesn’t go 

Edited by dog

2 hours ago, WatchHill said:

https://www.introducingdublin.com/taxi

Additional charge after the first person.

Re:  Fox restaurants - there a few others with fox in their names. Mr Fox is one.

Darcy

The information shown there is out of date and incorrect.

Here are the current prices http://www.moneyguideireland.com/taxi-fares-in-ireland.html

There is a charge for for additional passengers (after the first passenger) but it is a nominal €1 which is added to the total fare on the meter.  The important bit is that the meter charge is for the total hire and not per person.

Tipping is not required.  You may 'round up' the meter amount if you wish but the suggested 10% tip is ludicrous.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Princess ship did an overnight in Dublin three years ago. We walked around the central city the first day, places near where the free shuttle dropped us off. The second day, we took one of the HoHo buses. There were three different colors of buses run by three different companies. We went with one that had live commentary. The only stop where we got off was the Guinness Storehouse. We spent a few hours there. One of my favorite memories is of the chocolate cake made with Guinness that they sold in the cafe. I found the recipe and have made it several times.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:48 PM, geoherb said:

Our Princess ship did an overnight in Dublin three years ago. We walked around the central city the first day, places near where the free shuttle dropped us off. The second day, we took one of the HoHo buses. There were three different colors of buses run by three different companies. We went with one that had live commentary. The only stop where we got off was the Guinness Storehouse. We spent a few hours there. One of my favorite memories is of the chocolate cake made with Guinness that they sold in the cafe. I found the recipe and have made it several times.

We opted for the live commentary as well. Believe it was the Orange buses. Way better than canned commentary.

• 2 months later...

We were there a few years ago by cruise ship and Holland had a paid shuttle. I was not happy that I had to pay as taxis and other options (even walking) are not allowed in the port area.  The traffic was awful and I could have walked to town faster.  Anyway once left in town center there were a multitude of ho ho buses.  You can research the best option and even buy tickets online.   We spent all day in the 4 units of the Irish museum.  They are free and excellent.  We spent the remainder of our time on the green or wandering people watching.  This time I am researching countryside options.  

On 6/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, Heidi13 said:

We were on a Celebrity ship (over night embarkcation port) and there was a charge for the shuttle...so I guess this varies.

• 1 month later...