How to convince a friend who thinks she is doing Alaska in September

rslinky

My friend has a cruise scheduled for Alaska mid September out of Seattle.  She thinks they are going.  Another friend is even thinking of maybe booking and going  too.  I have tried to explain that ports in Canada are not open so there is no place dock to make this a legal sailing to Alaska with out Canada.  Someone posted list with  target start up dates for each Norwegian ship and her ship has a start up date in October.  Sent that to her.  She thinks that if the ship weren't sailing, they would be told.  If anyone has any more concrete evidence, let me know.  The two printed articles I have sent, evidently are not enough.  Of course, I would think just the daily news would be enough to say at least one of two things - no way do I want to cruise right now     or      no way cruise ships will be allowed to start up under current conditions.  I know it is not my problem, I just hate to see her still excited about something that is most likely not happening.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rslinky said:

My friend has a cruise scheduled for Alaska mid September out of Seattle.  She thinks they are going.  Another friend is even thinking of maybe booking and going  too.  I have tried to explain that ports in Canada are not open so there is no place dock to make this a legal sailing to Alaska with out Canada.  Someone posted list with  target start up dates for each Norwegian ship and her ship has a start up date in October.  Sent that to her.  She thinks that if the ship weren't sailing, they would be told.  If anyone has any more concrete evidence, let me know.  The two printed articles I have sent, evidently are not enough.  Of course, I would think just the daily news would be enough to say at least one of two things - no way do I want to cruise right now     or      no way cruise ships will be allowed to start up under current conditions.  I know it is not my problem, I just hate to see her still excited about something that is most likely not happening.

Let her enjoy the anticipation.   If it doesn't happen, she will be notified and you will still have a friend.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Let her enjoy the anticipation.   If it doesn't happen, she will be notified and you will still have a friend.

Yes.  OP, you have done your best.  Let the cruise line burst the bubble.   

• Like 5

Tell her that even though she isn't going, she still is going to derive the super satisfaction of knowing that she is lending NCL an interest free loan for 90 day or more after they give her the official word....and how much they need the money.  Otherwise, between Canada being closed and NCL already publishing the earliest possible sailing dates for their ships well after her proposed cruise, can't think of what else you could say.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Oh man..took the words right off my fingers!  Exactly!  Let someone else be the bearer of bad news, which will come soon enough.

• Like 1

Hasn’t NCL sent her a cancellation notice by now ? 

Princess, who has done Alaskan cruises for decades and are leading cruise experts in that region,shut down their Alaska season months ago.

You might tell your friend to call NCL to confirm that the cruise she booked is a go. Or , at the very least,if she insists that she will be going on this cruise in September, she will find out for herself if she goes to the pier the day of embarkation and sees no ship at the pier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rslinky said:

Maybe let them enjoy their anticipation then the joy of trying to get a refund or the FCC circus 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Hasn’t NCL sent her a cancellation notice by now ? 

Princess, who has done Alaskan cruises for decades and are leading cruise experts in that region,shut down their Alaska season months ago.

You might tell your friend to call NCL to confirm that the cruise she booked is a go. Or , at the very least,if she insists that she will be going on this cruise in September, she will find out for herself if she goes to the pier the day of embarkation and sees no ship at the pier.

She says they have been told the cruise is still a go when she called.  They have received no notice.  I tried to explain that it appears NCL is cancelling cruises a month at a time,  so they will be slow so they can keep her money.  She just wants to believe that if they weren’t going , NCL would tell her.  But as I have said, not my problem, just want her to know what I know.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rslinky said:

She says they have been told the cruise is still a go when she called.  They have received no notice.  I tried to explain that it appears NCL is cancelling cruises a month at a time,  so they will be slow so they can keep her money.  She just wants to believe that if they weren’t going , NCL would tell her.  But as I have said, not my problem, just want her to know what I know.  

All you have to do,  is look at the notice at the top of the NCL website page.   Alaska cruises are listed as canceled aren't they.    Have them look at their reservation-  online.    Should be a "Opps"  notice.   

Otherwise-  forget it.    They'll find out at some point.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

All you have to do,  is look at the notice at the top of the NCL website page.   Alaska cruises are listed as canceled aren't they.    Have them look at their reservation-  online.    Should be a "Opps"  notice.   

Otherwise-  forget it.    They'll find out at some point.   

When I click on more info on their website it does say it isn't cancelled yet. Funny though it doesn't even give me an option to book anything in September (not that I would).

Updated June 16, 2020:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include:

• All sailings through August 31st
  • All sailings in September except Seattle-based Alaska cruises

2 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

When I click on more info on their website it does say it isn't cancelled yet. Funny though it doesn't even give me an option to book anything in September (not that I would).

Updated June 16, 2020:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include:

• All sailings through August 31st
  • All sailings in September except Seattle-based Alaska cruises

Simply-   wait.   🙂   🙂   

2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Time to get a friend with an IQ above their shoe size.

If optimism, looking at a glass half full, or being positive is the sign of a low IQ..... you must be a proud member of Mensa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, the other friend just booked that cruise for departure mid Sept from Seattle.  Called and booked in person.  So some one tell me how this Alaskan trip is happening.  Is NCL really getting people’s money now to pay those refunds 90 days old?  

1 minute ago, rslinky said:

Well, the other friend just booked that cruise for departure mid Sept from Seattle.  Called and booked in person.  So some one tell me how this Alaskan trip is happening.  Is NCL really getting people’s money now to pay those refunds 90 days old?  

Yep.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rslinky said:

I don't know what NCL is doing with the money, but several lines are selling cruises they know ultimately will not sail.

It's sleazy.

• Like 6

If you look at this link you'll see everything is cancelled EXCEPT Alaska cruises out of Seattle. Is that what she is taking? This was dated June 16th and says:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings today announced an extension of its previously announced suspension of global cruise voyages to include all voyages embarking between August 1 and September 30, 2020 for its three cruise brands, Norwegian, Oceania and Regent.

The voyage cancellations exclude September Seattle-based Alaska voyages.

The company is also cancelling select voyages through October 2020, including Canada and New England sailings, due to travel and port restrictions.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23100-norwegian-oceania-and-regent-cancel-august-and-september-sailings.html

Maybe things changed after June 16th but if she saw this then maybe this is why she is so adamant that she is going...

Hope this helps.

margretha

Unless things change dramatically in the City of Seattle, (number of virus cases increasing not deceasing), she will not not.  The Port of Seattle is closed until no one knows when.  No cruise ships in or out of the Port of Seattle. 

• Like 1