Do you consider the volendam could go???

portcbob

Concerning the Amsterdam "rusting inside out".  We were on the first half of the 2017 World Cruise in an outside cabin.  We noticed our carpet was wet and water was entering where the bulkhead and deck met under a bed.  It wasn't fixable and they had to move us to another cabin.  I was told that the cause was a drain pipe, probably from the balcony above our cabin, had rusted out and that was where the water was from.  Later when we were in Korea and China we lost heating in the new cabin and were extremely cold the last week we were on the ship.  I noticed that she was overhauled the next year, so hopefully these problems were fixed.

4 hours ago, Av8rix said:

I'm with most other folks responding here.  I prefer the S-class and R-class ships (see my expanded signature).  I've sailed a couple of times on Eurodam only because of Captain Scott, but he's retired now.  Enormodams and humungoudams just ain't my style.  I second RuthC's comment -- when they are gone, I am gone.

I agree totally with RuthC and Av8rix.  If my little S & R ships leave the fleet, I'm also gone.  What a sad day that will be.

• Like 1

Back in 2013 my late wife and I had our third cruise on Volendam and loved it. Our first cruise, the year before, was Celebrity Century. They were so alike I went looking for builder's info and found they were both made in Italy but by different builders. Sadly, Century has now gone to China I believe. Having not recently cruised on Volendam I am can make no conclusion as to its current condition but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

As for Maarsdam, I cruised on her February this year and it was one of my best ever cruises and was in exce3llent condition. Size wise, for me, it was perfect. May it continue to cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

I hope not. It is one of the better size ships, and in pretty good condition the last time I sailed her. 
I'll be sorry to see the last two S-class ships go, too. But at least they are older. When all those smaller ships are gone, so am I. 

Volendam 1999 is an R class ship; Massdam 1993 & Veendam 1996 are the last two S class. It would make sense for the two S class to go as they are the oldest. From a business stand point why spend money an the older ships, get rid of them spend the money on the newest. Especially now with the way all cruise lines are bleeding money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

@kazu the secret evil.......  DO tell😄

There’s was a small forward section of the Lido on the Prinsendam that was  hidden behind foliage with chairs, tables and ashtrays 😉 A lot of officers went there as did passengers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, portcbob said:

Hi fellow hal cruisers.

Have been reading where some of the older ships owned by carnival Corp may be sold or scraped.

Do you think the volendam could be one as it is quite old.

It was built in and came on line in 1999.  I fear it might go but I hope she stays. It is a good ship.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I personally think that if the HAL brand survives the shutdown of operations that all 4 Rotterdam class vessels will remain in service. They play a very specific role for Carnival Corporation as part of the HAL fleet. The Maasdam and Veendam are most likely not returning to service. 

I wonder if that means the end for the 14 day Alaska itineraries since the Maasdam is scheduled to do it in 2021......

15 hours ago, RuthC said:

I hope not. It is one of the better size ships, and in pretty good condition the last time I sailed her. 
I'll be sorry to see the last two S-class ships go, too. But at least they are older. When all those smaller ships are gone, so am I. 

My feelings exactly Ruth!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Back in 2013 my late wife and I had our third cruise on Volendam and loved it. Our first cruise, the year before, was Celebrity Century. They were so alike I went looking for builder's info and found they were both made in Italy but by different builders. Sadly, Century has now gone to China I believe. Having not recently cruised on Volendam I am can make no conclusion as to its current condition but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

As for Maarsdam, I cruised on her February this year and it was one of my best ever cruises and was in exce3llent condition. Size wise, for me, it was perfect. May it continue to cruise.

A small correction, if I may 😉 Celebrity's Century was actually built at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany, between Jan 1994 and Nov 1995. Although not built by Fincantieri, the yard(s) (Monfalcone and Marghera) where all current HAL ships were/are being built, Century did spent five weeks at Fincantieri's Palermo yard as part of an extensive refurbishment in 2006.

After leaving Celebrity, she became SkySea Golden Era for start-up Chinese brand SkySea Cruises, a joint venture between China's Ctrip and Royal Caribbean Cruises, in May 2015. SkySea ended operations/is no longer with us in Sep 2018 and SkySea Golden Era subsequently wound up in Jan 2019 with UK's Marella Cruises, the former Thomson Cruises, where she is currently sailing European cruises as Marella Explorer 2, an "adults only" ship 

2266047.jpg 

2951498.jpg

3099666.jpg

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

My feelings exactly Ruth!

Just sailed her and she's in good shape, except for ruining the Crows nest and the piano bar, all the art that was hanging there, gone and replaced by 8 Billboard on Board tv screens, but overall still good, but she's up for sale, so we'll see..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

All three very good ships. Perfect size. Too bad the bean counters don't seem to like them.

Big is not always better......in fact, not often.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LEtue said:

I wonder if that means the end for the 14 day Alaska itineraries since the Maasdam is scheduled to do it in 2021......

Both Amsterdam and Zaandam have done the 14 day Alaska cruise in past, albeit from Seattle, but if HAL wishes to keep the itinerary, either from Vancouver or Seattle, any of the Rotterdam class vessels can easily do those sailings minus the EXC zodiac shore excursions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ski ww said:

Volendam 1999 is an R class ship; Massdam 1993 & Veendam 1996 are the last two S class. It would make sense for the two S class to go as they are the oldest. From a business stand point why spend money an the older ships, get rid of them spend the money on the newest. Especially now with the way all cruise lines are bleeding money.

Their worst attribute is their fuel efficiency.  They simply cost too much to operate.  I love the small ships but I think CCL in better times should consider ordering some new energy-efficient smaller ships.  

I certainly hope the Volendam does not go. She is the only one of the smaller ships that I have not cruised on. I plan to remedy that with a Thanksgiving 2021 crise to Hawaii. 

Edited by lazey1

40 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Their worst attribute is their fuel efficiency.  They simply cost too much to operate.  I love the small ships but I think CCL in better times should consider ordering some new energy-efficient smaller ships.  

The problem is that the cost to build a new 1300 passenger ship is not that different than a 2000-2600 passenger ship, especially when spread out over a 30 year operational lifespan and the bean counters LOVE the additional revenue produced by all those extra butts in beds.  To operate a new smaller vessels would mean a significant increase in base cruise cost.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The problem is that the cost to build a new 1300 passenger ship is not that different than a 2000-2600 passenger ship, especially when spread out over a 30 year operational lifespan and the bean counters LOVE the additional revenue produced by all those extra butts in beds.  To operate a new smaller vessels would mean a significant increase in base cruise cost.

The smaller ship potentially can charge a higher fare.  Also the clientele tends to not need the modern amusement park amenities.  I read an interview with a CEO of one of the lines where his remarks were to the efficiency issues.  I wish I could find the article it was an eye opener.  Basically it discussed the huge leaps in fuel efficiency in the past decade.   It also discussed new fuel sources used by very recent ships.  If I find the article I will be sure to post.  

For the R- and S- class ships, disposal or moving to another line may be determined by time until the next drydock is required (not scheduled).  In other words, a ship not needing a drydock for 2+ years is probably worth more than one needing (or overdue).  If the ship is going to another line, it will need some refurbishing so it's going to be in the yard anyway.  Totally different for the newer/bigger ships that will be kept long term. 

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Both Amsterdam and Zaandam have done the 14 day Alaska cruise in past, albeit from Seattle, but if HAL wishes to keep the itinerary, either from Vancouver or Seattle, any of the Rotterdam class vessels can easily do those sailings minus the EXC zodiac shore excursions.

I was going to post the same response to the poster who caused yours.  I have sailed on an Amsterdam 14 day cruise and it was an excellent itinerary when I sailed it.  I think the most recent rendition of such an itinerary dropped Kodiak.  Another mistake, as far as I am concerned.  Kodiak provided another "different" view of Alaska that the 7 itineraries offer.  

Even if the S-and R-Class ships become history, there isn't any reason that I know that a larger HAL vessel might not be able to assume this itinerary.  However, one possible issue could be the tidal fluctuation at the Port Of Anchorage.    

12 hours ago, kazu said:

There’s was a small forward section of the Lido on the Prinsendam that was  hidden behind foliage with chairs, tables and ashtrays 😉 A lot of officers went there as did passengers.

Does this area show on the deck plans?  I don't recall seeing such.

47 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Does this area show on the deck plans?  I don't recall seeing such.

No, it has never been on the deck plans as far as I know.  Many don’t know about it. 

It’s right off the door from the Neptunes on the Lido deck.  Or, I guess I should say it was when the ship was with HAL.

I don’t think Seattle knew or if they did they turned a blind eye.  Prinsendam tended to turn a bit of a blind eye to Seattle and do what they needed for the ship.  For example, Seattle approved money for the dining room tables for 8 tops.  At our focus group, the HD laughed and said they didn’t need more 8 tops.  They needed more 2 tops and smaller tables and that’s what they ordered and got 😉 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

No, it has never been on the deck plans as far as I know.  Many don’t know about it. 

It’s right off the door from the Neptunes on the Lido deck.  Or, I guess I should say it was when the ship was with HAL.

I don’t think Seattle knew or if they did they turned a blind eye.  Prinsendam tended to turn a bit of a blind eye to Seattle and do what they needed for the ship.  For example, Seattle approved money for the dining room tables for 8 tops.  At our focus group, the HD laughed and said they didn’t need more 8 tops.  They needed more 2 tops and smaller tables and that’s what they ordered and got 😉 

Thanks for your reply.  As she was for your husband and you, Prinsendam is a special ship in my memory.  

• Like 1

AMSTERDAM...Anyone that has followed longtime HAL cruisers Bill & Maryann (WCB) know they have 100s of days on HAL including World & Grand Cruises.

For the last few years their very well balanced reviews have listed ongoing & worsening maintenance issues onboard including closing off of passenger areas for standard maintenace( promenade decks, pool areas) on the flagship AMSTERDAM including bathroom breakdowns, water leaks & flooding all over the ship and decline of service & staff training..

Not good for longevity as CARNIVAL CORP squeezes every last cent of profit from their shops...at ANY COST.

• Like 1