European rules for restart of cruising.

10 hours ago, clo said:

It's not and that's why I use it occasionally. A broad bit of slang for contagious 'stuff'.

I only know about the edges of pools because we have a spa/hot tub. But we're pretty much the only ones who use it.

We're not pool people so it doesn't matter to us.

People are too worried about "cooties". So we have anti-bacterial soap, and instead of developing immunities, we become vulnerable, As kids we played  in the dirt and in the rain. And if we got sick we got over it.

For instance, when we were kids did we ever hear about peanut butter allergies?  Now we have schools  with non peanut butter sections in their cafeterias.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

People are too worried about "cooties". So we have anti-bacterial soap, and instead of developing immunities, we become vulnerable, As kids we played  in the dirt and in the rain. And if we got sick we got over it.

For instance, when we were kids did we ever hear about peanut butter allergies?  Now we have schools  with non peanut butter sections in their cafeterias.   

I’ve been saying that for years. My kids and I had almost perfect school attendance and I never saw a doctor (except to get stitched up once) until I had my first job physical. I’m in my 70s and take no medications.

And to the inevitable argument “that won’t stop Covid”——yeah maybe. But it could with heightened immune systems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

People are too worried about "cooties".

And perhaps not worries when they should be. Hell, we drink tap water almost all over the world 🙂

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I’ve been saying that for years. My kids and I had almost perfect school attendance and I never saw a doctor (except to get stitched up once) until I had my first job physical. I’m in my 70s and take no medications.

And to the inevitable argument “that won’t stop Covid”——yeah maybe. But it could with heightened immune systems.

I'm also in my 70s and don't even have a doctor. Also no medications, unless you count a daily vitamin as one. And I only take that because it has something that is supposed to be good for your eyes and both my parents had macular degeneration which is supposed to be hereditary.

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'm also in my 70s and don't even have a doctor.

Seriously, that's not so good. At least once a year, some basic lab work and exam. And some baseline lab work could later show if something has changed. I hope you go to a dentist also.

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Where I grew up boys, under the age of 11, are worried about getting cooties from girls under the age of 11.  After that, the perspective changes and cooties are no longer an issue.  😄😄😄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

Seriously, that's not so good. At least once a year, some basic lab work and exam. And some baseline lab work could later show if something has changed. I hope you go to a dentist also.

I do have a dentist, but have not seen him (actually it may be a her now as I think the dentist switched me off to one of his new partners, his daughter) in quite awhile. We both had appointments in May, but they were cancelled as NY did not consider it an essential service. If you had a dog, you could get the dog's teeth cleaned, but not yours.

My long time dentist retired. He and I were next door neighbors in the freshman dorms at college. I  (we) switched to a dentist in the same building with whom I shared time on the local school board.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, pc_load_letter said:

They can't be that intelligent. The virus can't live in a chlorinated pool so closing pools is stupid to say the least. 

People seem to forget that the primary transmission mechanism for COVID is aerosols from breathing and talking, not surface contamination.  It's not "cooties" from the edge of the pool.  The requirement to social distance while in the pool is because swimmers tend to talk and breath. 

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I do have a dentist, but have not seen him (actually it may be a her now as I think the dentist switched me off to one of his new partners, his daughter) in quite awhile. We both had appointments in May, but they were cancelled as NY did not consider it an essential service. If you had a dog, you could get the dog's teeth cleaned, but not yours.

My long time dentist retired. He and I were next door neighbors in the freshman dorms at college. I  (we) switched to a dentist in the same building with whom I shared time on the local school board.

No annual checkup with the dentist this year for me.  Dentists, by necessity, spend most of their day in close contact with different people, all of whom by necessity aren't wearing masks.  Their drills also fill the room with aerosol spray from the mouth.  If I had a bad toothache I'd go, but otherwise it's a no-go zone for me. jmho

5 hours ago, mnocket said:

No annual checkup with the dentist this year for me.  Dentists, by necessity, spend most of their day in close contact with different people, all of whom by necessity aren't wearing masks.  Their drills also fill the room with aerosol spray from the mouth.  If I had a bad toothache I'd go, but otherwise it's a no-go zone for me. jmho

Our dentist office is back open for routine cleanings but have put a lot of restrictions in place.   They wear masks,  face shields, & gloves.  We have to complete a health questionnaire and submit to a temp check.   Only two patients total are allowed in the dentists office at a time and no adjacent patient chairs are used even though they are separated by the typical modular dentist cabinets.  That is two total whether in the reception area or dentist chair.   You can't even wait for your son/daughter/spouse, etc in the reception area if you are not a patient.    

Sadly, I had to go in for a root canal a few weeks back that required a new crown.  They put the permanent new crown  along with routine cleaning this past Wednesday.  I felt our dentist took the situation very seriously and did a good job with prevention.   BTW, the assistant had a little vacuum nozzle right next to the drill the entire time it was in use.  I'm not talking about the suction thing.  This was little vacuum.  And trust me, I'm totally focused on that drill when I'm the patient!   😋  

Anyway, I think you are correct to be cautious.  I just wanted to share my experience as I feel our guy was doing things right.        

Edited by ldubs

55 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Anyway, I think you are correct to be cautious.  I just wanted to share my experience as I feel our guy was doing things right.        

I really appreciate this as we have joint appointments in a week or so. That alone probably make it easier for them. Thanks.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:14 PM, ontheweb said:

And what kind of scientific term is "cooties"?

Certainly not scientific, but it was the answer to clue #53 Down in today's NYT Sunday Crossword:

Clue:  Germ that is passed from one child to another?

Answer:  Cootie

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Certainly not scientific, but it was the answer to clue #53 Down in today's NYT Sunday Crossword:

Clue:  Germ that is passed from one child to another?

Answer:  Cootie

The clue should have been Clo's biggest fear. 😃😃

Edited by ontheweb
added emojis

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The clue should have been Clo's biggest fear. 

Far from it since, knock wood, I've only gotten sick once when traveling. And that was from salmonella tainted peanut butter, made in the US 🙂 I admit I didn't drink tap water in Cusco because there was particulate floating in it 🙂

Re 'cooties' it'd just a generic term. Like 'bug.'

On 7/9/2020 at 7:53 AM, ontheweb said:

On 7/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, 2wheelin said:

This sounds like a bit of a muddle about two different things. Not surprising, because the immune system is complex and still rather poorly understood.

The so-called "hygiene hypothesis" (if it truly exists) has to do with early exposure of young children to certain microbes or allergens. It has nothing really to do with cleanliness, but rather with development of immune tolerance. Some has suggested that such exposure may have an effect on development of conditions such as asthma or potentially to certain food allergies. However, the jury is still out.

Regarding exposure to infectious diseases (which is NOT part of the "hygiene hypothesis), it is now thought that reducing one's personal hygiene, such as not washing hands before eating, is expected to simply increase the risk of infection without having ANY impact on allergies or immune disorders. The hygiene hypothesis does not suggest, nor has it shown, that having more infections during childhood would be an overall benefit to one's immune system with regard to fighting off infectious diseases.

One fairly good article on this topic is here:  https://www.pnas.org/content/114/7/1433

• Thanks 1