What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

On 8/28/2021 at 3:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

The bottle is opaque.  So, I can't see how the stuff looks.  Probably best that I throw it out.  

Just the other day I had to toss out the last of a bottle of crème de Cassis--it had turned from reddish to an almost brownish-green color and didn't smell so good. I guess I hadn't used any in quite some time! Now I have a fresh bottle and I'm all ready to make a Parisian Cocktail--equal parts of gin, dry vermouth and crème de Cassis. 

I see it is time for the coffee drink stories ... 🙂 ... 

One of my best friends ever has the habit of calling me from whereever in the world he is, if his bartender doesn't know or remember a drink recipe he has had with me. 

He wants it the way I make it! ... 🙂 ...

I get a call, during my HH one day ... 🙂 ... he is in a foreign city wanting the recipe for 'Cafe' Gates' which he dearly loved. He was with his two high school sweethearts.

Here it is, remember this is a coffee drink and there are other variations of this recipe around ... this is how I order and make mine;

5/8, 5/8, 5/8

Bailey's

Kaluha

Dark Creme de Cacao

• 2 months later...

Is there a particular holiday oriented drink that you try to enjoy during this season of the year?

Non-alcoholic when it was served at the start of a main dining room breakfast on the Royal Princess in 1986 was a delicious Egg Nog.  We did not request it.  Our Steward served it soon after we were seated.  It was another pleasant Christmas surprise that my traveling companion and I experienced during that cruise.  

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is there a particular holiday oriented drink that you try to enjoy during this season of the year?

Non-alcoholic when it was served at the start of a main dining room breakfast on the Royal Princess in 1986 was a delicious Egg Nog.  We did not request it.  Our Steward served it soon after we were seated.  It was another pleasant Christmas surprise that my traveling companion and I experienced during that cruise.  

RKA,

Just picked up my plain commercial but good Egg Nog for the Holiday.

Will see if it will be Plain to nosh or what in the house I will add to "Make Merry" as Scrooge would says.... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never knew how alcohol I had in the house until we decided to hide it all when we thought someone getting out of rehab was going to stay with us!

Besides three refrigerators, we also had stuff squirreled away in about 8 different places!

now that we moved it back in the house, I'm trying to use up all the old stuff by making up my own cocktails.  This has only been moderately successful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I never knew how alcohol I had in the house until we decided to hide it all when we thought someone getting out of rehab was going to stay with us!

Besides three refrigerators, we also had stuff squirreled away in about 8 different places!

now that we moved it back in the house, I'm trying to use up all the old stuff by making up my own cocktails.  This has only been moderately successful.

It’s a nasty job but someone has to do it…😉

Generally wines (unopened) are safe no matter how old they get, as long as they were bottled properly.

Now the taste, is another matter.  Good wines are supposed get better with age but cheaper ones may lose their luster or ever start to turn to vinegar.

That's why when I buy my finest screwtop bottles of cheap wine, I try to drink them within a year...usually they don't make it the week.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, seamus69 said:

That's why when I buy my finest screwtop bottles of cheap wine, I try to drink them within a year...usually they don't make it the week.

🤣🤣      Yours too! 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, seamus69 said:

Now the taste, is another matter.  Good wines are supposed get better with age

Tavel Rose wines are supposed to be very good wines.  But, they are not expensive wines.  Maybe as much as $30 or so; mine didn't cost that much even when I bought it some time ago.  I have read that if the standard Tavel is cellared properly. it will improve with age.  Well, my "cellar" is a kitchen cabinet.  Only way I am going to know is by opening the bottle and smelling/tasting.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

🤣🤣      Yours too! 

Tavel Rose wines are supposed to be very good wines.  But, they are not expensive wines.  Maybe as much as $30 or so; mine didn't cost that much even when I bought it some time ago.  I have read that if the standard Tavel is cellared properly. it will improve with age.  Well, my "cellar" is a kitchen cabinet.  Only way I am going to know is by opening the bottle and smelling/tasting.  

I hope you have rested your wines on their side.

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hope you have rested your wines on their side.

No.  I had not thought about that.  The cork will have dried out.  I'll have a devil of a time getting it out without it crumbling, I suppose.  I predict my bottle of Tavel will be going in the trash.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  I had not thought about that.  The cork will have dried out.  I'll have a devil of a time getting it out without it crumbling, I suppose.  I predict my bottle of Tavel will be going in the trash.  

Turn the bottles upside down and let them rest for a week or so before opening.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, florence11 said:

I like frozen pina colada and frozen Blue Hawaiian and a mai tai.

Now you’ve got me thinking about making a batch of Tiki drinks!  What I wouldn’t give for a well made Pina Colada…made with fresh pineapple!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas I had a “Sparkling Rosemary Lemonade” served in a martini-type glass. It was not only the best drink I’ve had on a ship. It might be the best drink I’ve EVER had. It was just perfect.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:32 PM, florence11 said:

I like frozen pina colada and frozen Blue Hawaiian and a mai tai.

I do not care for frozen drinks.  

On 7/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Now you’ve got me thinking about making a batch of Tiki drinks!  What I wouldn’t give for a well made Pina Colada…made with fresh pineapple!!

There is a time and place for Tiki drinks.  Pina Coladas?  Yes!  Miami Vice?  Even better!  Remember the old joke about the Blue Hawaiian?  I won't drink anything that looks like Tidy Bowl.  It's good.  My favorite is a Mai Tai.  But, where I live and drinking it, there's something missing--ambiance.  

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I do not care for frozen drinks.  

There is a time and place for Tiki drinks.  Pina Coladas?  Yes!  Miami Vice?  Even better!  Remember the old joke about the Blue Hawaiian?  I won't drink anything that looks like Tidy Bowl.  It's good.  My favorite is a Mai Tai.  But, where I live and drinking it, there's something missing--ambiance.  

Ambiance for sure!  The first drink I ordered upon arrival in the Yacht Club was a Mai Tai!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ambiance for sure!  The first drink I ordered upon arrival in the Yacht Club was a Mai Tai!  

Good choice.  Because I had been drinking Prosecco (glass #1 and #2 was in the Lounge waiting to board which was followed by lunch at the YC Pool Deck Buffet with another glass, then opening the bottle in my suite where one or two more glasses were drunk), going to the YC Lounge for sailaway, I had another one.  (I ought to be careful mixing different kinds of alcoholic drinks.)  Going to dinner, i had a glass of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ambiance for sure!

The best ambiance for a Mai Tai is in Hawaii or in French Polynesia.  One exception for that is on Bora Bora.  How can one order anything other than a Bloody Mary at Bloody Mary's?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Good choice.  Because I had been drinking Prosecco (glass #1 and #2 was in the Lounge waiting to board which was followed by lunch at the YC Pool Deck Buffet with another glass, then opening the bottle in my suite where one or two more glasses were drunk), going to the YC Lounge for sailaway, I had another one.  (I ought to be careful mixing different kinds of alcoholic drinks.)  Going to dinner, i had a glass of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  

The best ambiance for a Mai Tai is in Hawaii or in French Polynesia.  One exception for that is on Bora Bora.  How can one order anything other than a Bloody Mary at Bloody Mary's?  

Enjoying a Gin and Tonic now,  with Bombay Sapphire...

Use to love Tequila Sunrise on Cruises and of course Proper  Blue Hawaiian and Pina Colda 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Enjoying a Gin and Tonic now,  with Bombay Sapphire...

Use to love Tequila Sunrise on Cruises and of course Proper  Blue Hawaiian and Pina Colda 

I used to drink gin and tonic until I found out what it is that they put in tonic water…yuckkkkk!  Now I make my own tonic water…lemon and lime seltzer water with frozen lime juice concentrate…much better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I used to drink gin and tonic until I found out what it is that they put in tonic water…yuckkkkk!  Now I make my own tonic water…lemon and lime seltzer water with frozen lime juice concentrate…much better!

What is it you object to--the quinine? That's what makes it tonic. 

19 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

What is it you object to--the quinine? That's what makes it tonic. 

It’s not the quinine.  Although I’m not worried about contracting malaria.  It’s the other ingredients.  Read the label on the side of a tonic water bottle…not to mention 32 grams carbohydrates.  I can get the same flavor with frozen lime concentrate and lemon and lime seltzer water.