What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

This thread is pretty cool that is for sure....lots of interesting drinks and we all have what we like that is for sure.  First, and not that it matters, but I drink way more on a cruise than I ever do at home.

And as for what I drink? Well, someone mentioned a Mudslide early on.........that is my pool side drink too😃

I love Frangelica in the evenings.......sometimes on the rocks, sometimes straight up. Same with Baileys and Amaretto.  I enjoy all 3 of them..

Martinis? A French Martini for me---usually after I board. It has always been my "I am sailing again" drink😃 so I will be planning to have 1 or 2 next month.

And I love wine too...........my favorite is a Pinot Noir.

And BB, your first post said you enjoy a Manhattan......my BIL is a Manhattan drinker too......He can put some of them away that is for sure.

And for CGTNORMANDIE,  I hope you are doing well......when this thread started you were on Dialysis.......are you still? 

Thank you Lois.  Yes I am still on dialysis and waiting for medical clearance for a kidney transplant.  Hopefully I will be cleared by next month.  I’ll keep you posted.  I will be having one helluva cruise party when we are able to resume cruising!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

First, and not that it matters, but I drink way more on a cruise than I ever do at home.

I love Frangelico in the evenings.......sometimes on the rocks, sometimes straight up. 

Martinis? 

And I love wine too...........my favorite is a Pinot Noir.

And BB, your first post said you enjoy a Manhattan......my BIL is a Manhattan drinker too......He can put some of them away that is for sure.

Agree about more away from home. Good to have a Good Mixologist.

Frangelico in the evening rocks or up good! Can't stand when put in coffee. 

Rarely a Martinis.....Maybe try one..

Pinot Grigio and Rose and Zinfandel

Perfect Manhattan is the best....of course with a CHERRY!

27 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you Lois.  Yes I am still on dialysis and waiting for medical clearance for a kidney transplant.  Hopefully I will be cleared by next month.  I’ll keep you posted.  I will be having one helluva cruise party when we are able to resume cruising!

I am thinking of you.   Just over a year ago (yes, during Covid), I got sick.....not from Covid. But I got quite sick and was in the hospital for a week......I didn't know I was ill  and had renal failure. I am VERY lucky and did not need dialysis.  They put lots of IV's in me and got my kidneys working on their own again.   I now make sure I drink ALOT of water every day.  I had a very scary time. Being alone in the hospital......I went to some very dark places......but I guess I came out on the other side (thankfully).

I will be thinking of you for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am thinking of you.   Just over a year ago (yes, during Covid), I got sick.....not from Covid. But I got quite sick and was in the hospital for a week......I didn't know I was ill  and had renal failure. I am VERY lucky and did not need dialysis.  They put lots of IV's in me and got my kidneys working on their own again.   I now make sure I drink ALOT of water every day.  I had a very scary time. Being alone in the hospital......I went to some very dark places......but I guess I came out on the other side (thankfully).

I will be thinking of you for sure.

Thanks Lois.  Be sure to drink 3 liters per day.  Hydration is the key.  Sometimes we have to travel through the dark before we see the light.

My kidney failure was genetic.  It happened over a 20 year period.  I hate talking health issues. But I don’t think anyone will mind me going off topic out here in the backwater.  I’ll give you a brief rundown.  In February 2017 I had a mild heart attack.  I got a stent and they put me on blood thinners.  I started bleeding internally and they discovered a tumor in my colon.  I had nine inches of my colon removed in April and lucked out…no radiation or chemo.  Many thanks to my brilliant medical team at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge…a Harvard Med teaching hospital.  We did our last cruise in October on MSC and then came kidney failure in January 2018.  Then came dialysis…4 hours 3 times a week.  I had to wait 2 years and then retest to make sure I was cancer free in order to qualify for a kidney transplant.  I finally lost enough weight to qualify for transplant testing and found a receptive transplant facility at Lahey Clinic here in Mass.  I have been testing since April.  This past Wednesday I had my final test, an angiogram,  and was told I would need a triple bypass soon.  I go for a meeting with the surgeons this Wednesday AM.  Hopefully I will have surgery by next week and will finally get on the kidney transplant list…THE LIST…soon after.  For once in my life I am in the right place at the right time.  We live 15 minutes away from some of the greatest hospitals in the world!  Now you know the whole story.  Please send positive vibes and prayers.  

I remember you when you first started cruising! All the best.

CGT

• Like 1

CGT

All the best and prayers and thoughts!

Will have a Mock Cocktail for you! ....lol..... Blessings for all you experience.

Had a bit of a find after a CATH  in 2014. With Med and CQ 10 and diet, last Stress showed gone.

We all need a sailing after a year like we all had.

• Like 1

CGT....omg.....you have been through so much in the last 4 years.  Glad you have a good support system. And yes, sending you all good vibes.

My case was much different........I went to the Dr for something else......then I went to a Cardiologist and he wanted me to go to the ER to be more fully checked out......well, the ER Doc is the one who told me I was in renal failure😲  Part of my life is I am here on my own......I have no family near me so it really was a bit scary and at the time, (April 2020) Nobody was allowed to visit in the hospital anyway.

So my sister could not even fly to be here........she lives out of the country.  

Anyway, by the 6th day they said my Kidney's were doing much better.......and I see a Nephrologist of course.  Actually, I was told I could drink 2 liters per day.🙂 And I try to walk about a mile every day at least to get in some exercise.

• Like 1

CGT......you remember me from 2003? Good memory😃 and I really do wish you all the best.

I hope your meeting with the Dr on Wed goes well........thinking of you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Martinis? A French Martini for me---usually after I board. It has always been my "I am sailing again" drink😃 so I will be planning to have 1 or 2 next month.

My wife loves a Kir Royale, also made with the Chambord in your French Martini mixed with a top tier Champagne ... we usually have a Dirty Martini but will try a French Martini on our next cruise, based on your recommendation! ... 🙂 ...

10 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

My wife loves a Kir Royale, also made with the Chambord in your French Martini mixed with a top tier Champagne ... we usually have a Dirty Martini but will try a French Martini on our next cruise, based on your recommendation! ... 🙂 ...

Hi, I missed your post yesterday.  The other ingredients are vodka and pineapple juice.......with the Chambord of course🙂.......I have never cared for a Kir Royale. 

On 6/14/2021 at 3:47 AM, GlobalMethod said:

On 6/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, I missed your post yesterday.  The other ingredients are vodka and pineapple juice.......with the Chambord of course🙂.......I have never cared for a Kir Royale. 

Kir and Kir Royale were traditionally made with Creme de Cassis, a blackcurrant liqueur, though Chambord would be very nice in these drinks. The "French Martini" sounds a lot like a "French Horn," which is vodka, Chambord, and lemon juice, but the pineapple juice would be a nice addition.

My favorite use for Creme de Cassis, apart from a Kir Royale, is in the Parisian cocktail, which is equal parts gin, Noilly Prat dry vermouth, and Creme de Cassis, shaken and served straight up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Kir and Kir Royale were traditionally made with Creme de Cassis, a blackcurrant liqueur, though Chambord would be very nice in these drinks. The "French Martini" sounds a lot like a "French Horn," which is vodka, Chambord, and lemon juice, but the pineapple juice would be a nice addition.

My favorite use for Creme de Cassis, apart from a Kir Royale, is in the Parisian cocktail, which is equal parts gin, Noilly Prat dry vermouth, and Creme de Cassis, shaken and served straight up.

Good discussion Cnt ... the naming of these drinks often depends on what part of the world you are in and what your bartender thinks ... 🙂 ... in my experience, kir is usually white wine and casis whereas Kir Royale is Champagne and Chambord, thus the more celebratory name ... 

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” – Humphrey Bogart

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lois R said:

I have never cared for a Kir Royale. 

Never really saw this product in my full service liquor store.

If I ever have the opport....  will try it.

Never into currants..... berries, jam, jellies......not currants...

38 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Anyone here care for a good Sangria??  Served with a chaser of soda water and ice can be very refreshing on a hot day.

I love Sangria😃........have you tried White Sangria? I actually like it better than the original.

39 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I love Sangria😃........have you tried White Sangria? I actually like it better than the original.

White, red or rose’ is fine with me.  You need certain fruits with each wine.  White wine calls for peaches, apples, grapes, pears, berries, etc.  Red wine calls for oranges, limes, lemons and nectarines.  Always made with Cognac or Brandy and something sweet.  I like agave syrup.  

18 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Good discussion Cnt ... the naming of these drinks often depends on what part of the world you are in and what your bartender thinks ... 🙂 ... in my experience, kir is usually white wine and casis whereas Kir Royale is Champagne and Chambord, thus the more celebratory name ... 

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” – Humphrey Bogart

Both Kir and Kir Royale originated in Burgundy, France, using Crème de Cassis. Chambord and Champagne is simply called a Chambord cocktail or a Chambord Royale. The Royale refers to the use of Champagne instead of still white wine. I suspect any popularization of the use of Chambord instead of Crème de Cassis comes straight from the marketing department of whoever now manufactures Chambord. Either way, I'm sure the drink is delicious, and many might find Chambord more easily on the shelf of their local liquor store versus trying to hunt down a decent bottle of Crème de Cassis.

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

White, red or rose’ is fine with me.  You need certain fruits with each wine.  White wine calls for peaches, apples, grapes, pears, berries, etc.  Red wine calls for oranges, limes, lemons and nectarines.  Always made with Cognac or Brandy and something sweet.  I like agave syrup.  

Yes! ... all sangria is good sangria! ... we have it in some form or fashion almost everyday at home for our personal HHs! ... both red and white can be wonderful ...

use the fruit of the season where you are ... when I lived in the USA I used to make mine with cherry brandy but that is impossible to find now ... currently adding a bit of ameretto disaranno ... delish ... 🙂 ... our primary added fruit yesterday was cherries, which just came into season, but last week our primary fruit was strawberries! ... 🙂 ... All Good!

14 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Yes! ... all sangria is good sangria! ... we have it in some form or fashion almost everyday at home for our personal HHs! ... both red and white can be wonderful ...

use the fruit of the season where you are ... when I lived in the USA I used to make mine with cherry brandy but that is impossible to find now ... currently adding a bit of ameretto disaranno ... delish ... 🙂 ... our primary added fruit yesterday was cherries, which just came into season, but last week our primary fruit was strawberries! ... 🙂 ... All Good!

Cherry Brandy…GREAT IDEA!!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The United States Department of Agriculture recommends the average adult consume 2 portions of fruit per day! Therefore, I rest my case on having at least 2 Sangria's per day! ... 🙂 ...

However, to change it up, the weather yesterday was hot so I made Pineapple Pina Colada's for us ... I used Coconut Creme, Malibu Coconut Rum, and fresh pineapple. I served it on the rocks and we are thinking of having it again soon! 

“I drink to make other people more interesting.”
 Hemingway, Ernest

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

Interesting discussion, but no interest in Sangria for me.  Tried it.  Not to my taste.  

I had once in a Spain restaurant locally and it was not anything I would write home about. Not sure the strength of the wine and the style wine used.

Give me Ice Tea any day.

• Like 1

Hi friends😀just thought I would say hello as I am in the Newark airport on my way to Greece😀sailing on Thursday. Will definitely be partaking In a cocktail or 2 (or 10) LOL

Hope everyone is doing well😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends😀just thought I would say hello as I am in the Newark airport on my way to Greece😀sailing on Thursday. Will definitely be partaking In a cocktail or 2 (or 10) LOL

Hope everyone is doing well😁

You go girl!!  Keep us posted on your cruise.