bye bye oceana

poorer

Just now, Son of Anarchy said:

Unfortunately, they seem to double the price then do the BOGOF on the inflated price!  

I knew that but was being ironic. Normally I'm accused of being moronic😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Doesn't that depend on the initial  base price?

Also, the prices for balcony cabins are sky high. Looking at some of the itineraries there is not that much difference between Saga and CMV balcony cabins, especially when you take the Saga extras into account.

What you may not realise is that CMV always have some sort of offer on.  The bogof is replaced a half price offer and on it goes.....  The full prices are a joke, but I have never seen them applied.

1 minute ago, tring said:

What you may not realise is that CMV always have some sort of offer on.  The bogof is replaced a half price offer and on it goes.....  The full prices are a joke, but I have never seen them applied.

That goes for most mainstream cruise lines though. There is always some sort of offer on and they move almost seamlessly from one campaign to another.

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

That goes for most mainstream cruise lines though. There is always some sort of offer on and they move almost seamlessly from one campaign to another.

Warner should buy a cruise ship. They always have a sale on, so their marketing people already have the pricing cracked and they are good at booking tribute bands.🤔

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tring said:

The same goes for some clothing stores as well. It just makes you think you've got a bargain. It's all kidology. 

Avril 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Our friend's view of CMV Marco Polo was that she would never sail with them again.  Awful service.  Plates removed before she had even finished.  She hated it.

Once again Jean, I guess it shows how we can all have a different experience on the same ship. Our table waiters on Marco Polo were excellent - very courteous, not rushed and happy to change something if desired. We were on the inclusive drinks package and were always being topped up. We also found the bar waiters good (with just one exception) and we put in a commendation for one young lady in the Captain's Club Lounge. Some could appear a little austere initially, but when you took time to chat with them definitely thawed!

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Warner should buy a cruise ship. They always have a sale on, so their marketing people already have the pricing cracked and they are good at booking tribute bands.🤔

I think they are quite happy providing their 'cruise on land' experience. At least they do a decent number of no supplement deals for solos!

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

I think they are quite happy providing their 'cruise on land' experience. At least they do a decent number of no supplement deals for solos!

We have fond memories as the only 2 weekends we have had this year we're at their Hotels. Coincidentally I had a look this morning at November weekends. I think they must be testing the market with some of their prices. I'll wait for the next sale. Won't be long.😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Did read a article could be wrong, sold to a Greek company might be Celestial cruises ideal ship for the Greek Islands.

I have seen that suggested elsewhere but the two ships they currently operate are less than half the size of Oceana - and, perhaps more pertinent, they have paused all their operations until March.

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think a lot of British holiday companies will be upping their prices now they realise that staycations will becoming very popular now. 

Avril 

Definitely. I’d been looking at a cottage for ages before I booked it. When I eventually did Sykes had put the price up by £30. That was just one day after Boris announced self catering holidays were safe to go ahead. I booked it through Booking.com instead as it was at the original price!

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

So it's confirmed.  Well, only 2 ships left for us now, but don't think I will be going on my April cruise on Aurora.  In fact I won't be cruising until there is a vaccine.  Just not worth the risk.

Just booked a holiday to Scotland in September.

Where are you coming to Jean? September is a good month, the midges die off and the weather is still relatively warm.

57 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I have seen that suggested elsewhere but the two ships they currently operate are less than half the size of Oceana - and, perhaps more pertinent, they have paused all their operations until March.

Yep you could be right the only other transactions that part of the world was Saga Sapphire Turkey and celestial Majesty to Mano cruises Israel so once again all speculation and will have to wait and see.

Just a thought are P&O moving to a younger age group with getting rid of the smaller ships because after going on a marella cruise the P&O cruisers looked decidedly old and I am in my sixties,in a few years time if P&O doesn’t engage in the younger market they will cease to exist.

Edited by Bazrat

We were due to have been on Oceana in May for a 3 week cruise around the Med, this her docked in Valletta Malta. We enjoyed our time on board, we are not advocates of the bigger ships, We have been on Britannia twice, didn’t really like it, don’t think we would go on Iona at all.

Liked Arcadia and Aurora when we have been on them. 

FB03CAC3-0563-4642-BE8B-23D60CA9D534.jpeg

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

I understand that Fred also run a "buy two cruises get the third free" offer sometimes, although not this year so far.

In fairness to P&O their pricing structure is generally simpler to understand.  Any rewards are modest/poor as the starting price is usually good (5% deposit sometimes, 5% Peninsular club discount sometimes, extra OBC or guaranteed benefit for the Select Price is pretty much it).

The closest that P&O have come to such gimmicks are the 3rd/4th passenger for £99/£199, which is usually replicated in an increase in passenger one and two prices and offset by the 70% or so reduction usually available as standard.

Also, the peculiarity of "early saver" and "select" pricing on Iona, where everyone gets Freedom dining and something the Select is cheaper than Early Saver, even though transfers and cabin choice are not included.

Further, you don't have the "gratuities included," multiple drinks promos included, cruise only, transfer free and other complications to consider in terms of which particular route is being used to get you to depart with the intended amount of cash.

The one thing I can't abide is when there are mandatory and unavoidable charges on top of the advertised price - that's just plain dishonest.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Just a thought are P&O moving to a younger age group with getting rid of the smaller ships because after going on a marella cruise the P&O cruisers looked decidedly old and I am in my sixties,in a few years time if P&O doesn’t engage in the younger market they will cease to exist.

Hmm. Why do I suddenly feel old and worthless?

Avril 

Me too Avril!!  However, I have booked 5 hotels going from Devon up to Scotland, across to Isle of Mull, then to south of Edinburgh, taking the ferry to Inchkieth and then visiting Newcastle on the way home, as neither of us have ever been there.  Hotels look great and reallhy looking forward to it.  Driving was always our "other" holiday, so now we are going back to that.

• Like 2

As neither Frank nor I can drive anymore due to medical/health reasons we're a bit stuck for alternative holidays now. I'm sure we'll be able to sort something. Or maybe this virus will suddenly disappear like some wise man said and we can go on our cruise😉

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Me too Avril!!  However, I have booked 5 hotels going from Devon up to Scotland, across to Isle of Mull, then to south of Edinburgh, taking the ferry to Inchkieth and then visiting Newcastle on the way home, as neither of us have ever been there.  Hotels look great and reallhy looking forward to it.  Driving was always our "other" holiday, so now we are going back to that.

Yeah, you're coming to see us!

If you would like any opinions on where you are going to visit I would gladly help.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Hopefully the locals will welcome you as a Grockle, more than seems to be the case where you live.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

As neither Frank nor I can drive anymore due to medical/health reasons we're a bit stuck for alternative holidays now. I'm sure we'll be able to sort something. Or maybe this virus will suddenly disappear like some wise man said and we can go on our cruise😉

Avril 

We have always said we won't do a coach tour. Last year we did a Nova Scotia tour with Globus. It was a little bit dearer than the others, but really enjoyable. We have booked with them for the Rockies next year. Again a bit dearer, but DW can afford it. She will just have to buy a couple less handbags😂

• Haha 1