bye bye oceana

poorer

14 minutes ago, Bin man said:

See oceana following  Ventura and will pass azura coming in .Guess there will be a few horns being sounded 

Yes, it could have been any of them, but I like to think it is Oceana saying goodbye.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

I have still not not received any email from PO or my US online travel agent about Oceana cancelling all Cruises.

My online US travel agent said on call that they have not received any information about Oceana cancelling all Cruises and says that my Cruise is still showing as confirmed on the PO website .

so I went directly to the PO website and filled the cancellation form for a full refund of my non refundable deposit on Oceana

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You must be really depressed if your glad you live in Stoke-on-Trent 🤣🤣

Amidst all the last horn blowing stories this made me laugh. Thanks x

(I don't give an x out easily and don't tell Mr Presto ;-) !)

Edited by Presto2

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Me too Avril!!  However, I have booked 5 hotels going from Devon up to Scotland, across to Isle of Mull, then to south of Edinburgh, taking the ferry to Inchkieth and then visiting Newcastle on the way home, as neither of us have ever been there.  Hotels look great and reallhy looking forward to it.  Driving was always our "other" holiday, so now we are going back to that.

Do take in Durham on your way to/from Newcastle (20 minutes' drive) and see the Cathedral and the old town; it's emptier than usual at the moment.

37 minutes ago, drsel said:

I have still not not received any email from PO or my US online travel agent about Oceana cancelling all Cruises.

My online US travel agent said on call that they have not received any information about Oceana cancelling all Cruises and says that my Cruise is still showing as confirmed on the PO website .

so I went directly to the PO website and filled the cancellation form for a full refund of my non refundable deposit on Oceana

37 minutes ago, drsel said:

Surely they have the internet ---- it really is public now and is on their many pages (those of many faces as someone else put it)

I wish I'd known...

The last time I saw Oceana: in Martinique last December. There she is, moored opposite the Silver Whisper. I was embarrassed when some of the staff said hello on the gangway as they recognised me from my last Oceana cruise several moths before. One of them said he hadn't realised i was onboard and I had to say "I'm not," and gesture towards the Silver Whisper. 

I was the only Silversea passenger who turned out on deck to watch the Oceana sail away. If only I'd known it was the last time I would see her...

Silver whisper and Oceana.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, drsel said:

Oceana has been sold to another (Greek?) Cruise company. maybe you can book it through them

I suspect she's off to Greece for a refit and then going to join Oriana/Piano Land in China.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Do take in Durham on your way to/from Newcastle (20 minutes' drive) and see the Cathedral and the old town; it's emptier than usual at the moment.

We just might.  We are heading East from Edinburgh to see Gullane where my father played golf, then down the East Coast.

Only sailed on Oceana once, March 2013 for a family wedding on board but still sad to see her leave! The cruise itself was the worst BoB crossings I've ever experienced, both ways at that too! Found the ship really charming however and absolutely loved both Le Club and Cafe Jardin. Unfortunately never got the opportunity to revisit Oceana, instead favouring the 'bigger' ones for various reasons such as Itinerary and the kids facilities on the newer ships being slightly more favourable. 

Image is taken in Gran Canaria. 

IMG_1755.jpeg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We just might.  We are heading East from Edinburgh to see Gullane where my father played golf, then down the East Coast.

Berwick,Alnwick,Morpeth, Seahouses.Bamburgh Castle,Amble,Rothbury and Tynemouth  are suggestions of places in Northumberland to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Would you stay in Durham or Newcastle.  We don't know either.

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Berwick,Alnwick,Morpeth, Seahouses.Bamburgh Castle,Amble,Rothbury and Tynemouth  are suggestions of places in Northumberland to see.

Thanks Graham.  We might have to all those another time, because we are on our way back and probably don't have enough time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Depends on what sort of hotel you want. Durham has some lovely old ones (but not cheap), also a Premier Inn, just off the A1. It's a while since I have been to Newcastle, but they have hotels in the city. More built up than Durham.

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Thanks Graham.  We might have to all those another time, because we are on our way back and probably don't have enough time.

Traveling down the A1 from Edinburgh you will pass Berwick.Alnwick and Morpeth.

Watch out for the fixed speed cameras down the A1.

Rather looking forward to it.  Haven't done a driving holiday for a few years.  My father was born in Musselborough and led the band at the Edinburgh Plaza in the 30s.  He was 52 when I was born.  I think the Plaza is now a Bingo hall.  He was an amazing musician.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, emam said:

Depends on what sort of hotel you want. Durham has some lovely old ones (but not cheap), also a Premier Inn, just off the A1. It's a while since I have been to Newcastle, but they have hotels in the city. More built up than Durham.

Ramside Hall Hotel is just off the A1 on the A690 to Sunderland.

It is about 3 miles to Durham Centre.

There is a Premier Inn on Durham Riverside within walking distance to the city centre.

The Royal County Hotel is ideally located on the Riverside and walking distance to Durham city centre

Edited by grapau27

27 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Nope.  This is not until September.  Just planning a driving holiday.

Jean, why is it OK for you to travel, yet you hate anyone visiting your part of the world?  Just interested to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Ramside Hall Hotel is just off the A1 on the A690 to Sunderland.

It is about 3 miles to Durham Centre.

There is a Premier Inn on Durham Riverside within walking distance to the city centre.

That was one of the old ones I had in mind, but I know they can be pricey. However just over the road is the park and ride into Durham. It's walkable from the hotel and only takes about 10 minutes to get into Durham City. The PI, at Belmont isn't far from there either, just along the A690 an easy drive.

Whatever type of hotel you are looking for don't forget to check the parking.

53 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Big choice of hotels in Newcastle especially on the quayside with many bars and restaurants and within 10 minutes walk to Eldon Square shopping centre.

Durham is lovely with the Cathedral and Castle.

Ramside Hall Hotel has a golf course,driving range and a new Spa and 3 miles from Durham city centre.

The Royal County Hotel is central and a short walk across the bridge to Durham centre.

Edited by grapau27