The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

49 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Thanks! Another couple of hours to go. 

Hang in there Tracie…brings back memories from a few symphony North Atlantic crossings during September!

Nancy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

92 mph wind gusts as the Symphony bounces through the North Sea on the way from Copenhagen to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam). 

Oh my goodness! Keep us posted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, krb1000 said:

Somewhere between midnight and 4am we’ve stopped bouncing! Needless to say, there was no dancing last night, at least by anyone sensible and a lot of safety modifications were made to the evening schedule. Thanks to Pianist with the Hair for an excellent show in the Galaxy.  

Edited by TER777
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

Somewhere between midnight and 4am we’ve stopped bouncing! Needless to say, there was no dancing last night, at least by anyone sensible and a lot of safety modifications were made to the evening schedule. Thanks to Pianist with the Hair for an excellent show in the Galaxy.  

I’m glad things have calmed down🩵

On 8/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, krb1000 said:

it was very windy in belgium and the netherlands as well 

feeling sorry that you are docked in Ijmuiden   - if a cruise ships will dock in Amsterdam and not a regular , they are unkind ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise will be one of the last from my 018 Grand Alaska/Panama trip.  On August 25 Crystal Symphony tendered in Bimini:

dawn0825.jpg

Roy

I believe I was there! I was not awake to see the sunrise, but I certainly did get to enjoy that long tender ride.  We rented a golf cart and covered that entire island.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, May B said:

I believe I was there! I was not awake to see the sunrise, but I certainly did get to enjoy that long tender ride.  We rented a golf cart and covered that entire island.

You certainly were!

Roy

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

I would like to see how man cs members would like the Bistro’s hours to return to their later night hours like pre covid

In theory, yes; but where would the wait staff be taken away from? Or if they could volunteer for extra hours/extra pay, yes.

50 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

I would like to see how man cs members would like the Bistro’s hours to return to their later night hours like pre covid

Earlier this year they opened it in the evening for a while, but went back to closing at 6PM. Wouldn't be surprised if there weren't enough people taking advantage of the late closing.

• Like 2

So, to get back off-topic:

The Chez: Reflections on the waning days of summer(well, here that is, you know what I mean,)

The season was a very good one for keeping the important(and hopefully returning) clientele happy.

It kicked off with a nicely cooked lobe of shad roe(ugh to cook, but the guest devours it.)  And yes, this was not yet summer, but we lose track of time and seasons in the kitchen.

Then getting into full on summer there was:

Many burger nights in America(including the one with chef made steak fries.  Baby, don't fear the carbos. Oh yeah, sour cream with them for OLoPP (not sure about that, it's maybe illegal in Missouri. Perhaps why she fled.)

Then there were two, count 'em two, nights of baby back ribs celebrating summer, with one more to go.  No sour cream in sight there.

Do I need to mention the Steak Nights in America?  No, I don't think I do.

Finally, we just polished off our second batch of no churn chocolate ice cream.  Maybe not the best ever, but on a warm summer's day it'll do just fine.

(PS: my appendage of "in America" to some of our dinners is just a silly thing I do.  Please don't attach any greater significance to it.)

And for those of you in the southern hemisphere, enjoy turning toward the sun. 

• Like 7

Today's sunrise is from a 2015 trip with a Blount cruise from Maine to New Brunswick.  After a few cruise i spent a couple days with my cousin south of Montreal and this was taken on their farm:

dawn0826.jpg

Roy

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Earlier this year they opened it in the evening for a while, but went back to closing at 6PM. Wouldn't be surprised if there weren't enough people taking advantage of the late closing.

That’s my read on it as well…. And the reallocation of resources has tangible benefits — sommelier service during dinner in all venues on my cruise last month was the best I can remember since the rollout of [the “other” infamous] AI.

Vince

• Like 8

If I remember correctly the extended hours were mainly on the world cruise.   If so, I remember lower passenger count on most of it and think several were looking for another venue at night. 

They do a great job reallocating staff as needed but they have a finite number. For example, if Tastes is slow but Waterside busy you will see some waiters from Tastes helping in Waterside.

Keith

• Like 4

I can't believe I forgot to mention the spatchcocked chickens, there were several this summer and they were delicious(grill with a little apple wood.)  But you know, there's nothing sadder looking than the carcass of a spatchcocked chicken before grilling.  It's like "dude, what did I ever do to you?" 

• Haha 2

Today's sunrise is from the same trip as the photo from my cousin's farm.  I returned from Montreal August 27-28, spending the night August 27 in Poughkeepsie as the train to New York arrives too late for a reliable connection to Baltimore.  This sunrise is from Poughkeepsie August 28, 2015:

dawn0428.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

This merry-go-round brings back lots of memories for me including when our children who were very young rode on it.  Of course it wasn't so early when we would take them so no plastic covering up everything.

Keith

IMG_4884.jpeg.09dff10dea142bd865f26b55a8a7e8f0.jpeg

• Like 5