Carnival Cruise Line Announces Staggered Return to Cruising through 2022

aliaschief

What goes unsaid in this is that the Carnival owned lines are still selling and booking cruises, most of which will not sail, even if cruising does start back up.  What actually will sail will be substantially different from what is currently being booked, even if on the same ship during the same time. Going to be interesting to see how the lines handle that little bit of theater.

You bet there are a lot of moving parts--individual country start dates and regulations; cruise ships being sold, moved or scrapped; changing itineraries; shorter itineraries including cruises to nowhere; passengers' willingness to cruise or fly; extent and location of Covid spread; etc. etc.  An interesting bit of theater indeed.

My plan is to continue booking existing itineraries as long as I still have a few FCDs in my pocket. I'll go with the flow of itinerary changes but will be very careful about making any additional payments to the cruise lines, especially at final payment dates.

And thank you Chief for sharing the interesting article.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, npcl said:

What goes unsaid in this is that the Carnival owned lines are still selling and booking cruises, most of which will not sail, even if cruising does start back up.  What actually will sail will be substantially different from what is currently being booked, even if on the same ship during the same time. Going to be interesting to see how the lines handle that little bit of theater.

I wonder if the cruise lines' new business model is to sell cruises without ever sailing. Sell a "cruise", cancel the "cruise", keep the money in exchange for future cruise credits that people can never use. Sell ships and pay executives well until the business collapses. 

54 minutes ago, whogo said:

I wonder if the cruise lines' new business model is to sell cruises without ever sailing. Sell a "cruise", cancel the "cruise", keep the money in exchange for future cruise credits that people can never use. Sell ships and pay executives well until the business collapses. 

Easy problem to solve. Just decide not to send them any more money. They can't keep it if we don't send it to them.

Edited by DFD1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

It is possible, of course, but if that is the plan, it is clearly illegal.  I would hope senior managers are not that crass.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Thank you chief. I am hoping that my April 21 Pacific Coastal cruise will sail; also my Nov. 21 San Diego/Hawaii r/t will sail.

Yes! There are many waiting and hoping!

IMO a vaccine is needed before cruising restarts as we have experienced.

Good luck. It’s been a long time since our Maasdam repo together.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yes! There are many waiting and hoping!

IMO a vaccine is needed before cruising restarts as we have experienced.

Good luck. It’s been a long time since our Maasdam repo together.

An effective Covid-19 vaccine would be a pre-requisite to my sailing again.

It has indeed been a long time since our Maasdam repo. Hopefully we meet again

aboard another HAL cruise.

Thanks for the update!  Diana and I were scheduled on the May 18th 2-week Alaska cruise out of Vancouver.  It was cancelled and we took the FCC option.  We booked the 18 night Hawaii cruise on the Koningsdam for November 3rd out of San Diego.    That now looks pretty shaky.  We will just keep re-booking. 

Diana and I both had the virus back in March and made it through just fine so we are not afraid to cruise.  We have been keeping active exercising and watching our diet, and I have lost 30 pounds.  Its time to go cruising again!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kevingastreich said:

Not so fast. The latest "news" is that immunity is only "temporary". Oh, and don't forget, they also told us that your dog can give it to you.  Sheesh.

Not sure what your point is.