New CDC Order

Bill Miller

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

For anyone who thinks cruise lines will be hesitant to enforce rules - I was on the infamous Spring Break cruise several years ago filled with college students, and soon after drink packages were introduced.  It was a wild cruise.  They actually disembarked several college students in Cozumel for their bad behavior (drunk, wild, and breaking deck furniture).  I also recently sailed next to someone who consistently smoked on their balcony (and maybe stateroom, not sure).  They got one verbal warning, then after continuing they got a 'stop doing it or get kicked off the ship' letter.  Considering the horror that the virus has already caused the cruise lines (for reasons partly due to their mishandling and partly due to circumstances beyond their control) I believe 100% that if people refuse to comply with any new virus rules they will not hesitate to take action, up to and including kicking them off at the next port.  They cannot afford to do otherwise.  

Does it concern you at all that the revised No Sail Order highlighted that failure of all crew members to wear masks when outside their cabins was one area of non-compliance?  

• Like 3

We have a TA booked for April and  14 night Europe for May and doubt if either will sail.  Hoping that the Lift and Shift offer returns and we can try for 2022.  We won’t be doing final payments on these two unless we’re confident it’s a go.

13 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I was going on Celebrity 1/30/21 out of San Juan. I have very little hope it will be going. Final payment is 11/1, I will cancel in October when that 2% hope evaporates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TUI, Costa and other European lines are supposed to start sailings in Europe for Europeans soon.  I would wait and see how those go.

42 minutes ago, mnocket said:

And don't forget all those people who wear their masks below their noses or down around their necks.  Sometimes I think they are even worse than the people who don't wear masks at all. 

1212183891_ScreenShot2020-07-18at2_24_49PM.png.f9fa1d5f8f68dea1f9bc5a4d3cae267d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

TUI, Costa and other European lines are supposed to start sailings in Europe for Europeans soon.  I would wait and see how those go.

They already did!

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Does it concern you at all that the revised No Sail Order highlighted that failure of all crew members to wear masks when outside their cabins was one area of non-compliance?  

All crew members”?
Actually, no. I read the CDC report. The only cruise line cited by the CDC for face mask non-compliance was NCL.

29 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

All crew members”?
Actually, no. I read the CDC report. The only cruise line cited by the CDC for face mask non-compliance was NCL.

I suspect that this is just a question of interpretation of @mnocket's post. Try this:

Does it concern you at all that the revised No Sail Order highlighted that failure of the policy that all crew members to wear masks when outside their cabins was one area of non-compliance?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Not TUI or Costa

OK. TUI starts 7/24... 

Costa, I don’t really care 😉
River cruises already started, Hurtigruten  already started, Seadream started...

Edited by Miaminice

26 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that this is just a question of interpretation of @mnocket's post. Try this:

Does it concern you at all that the revised No Sail Order highlighted that failure of the policy that all crew members to wear masks when outside their cabins was one area of non-compliance?

Actually, it doesn't.  That is a behavior issue and can easily be corrected by sending the offending crew off ship.

What is much more worrisome are many of the comments relating to cruise line failures to comply with the NSO:

- Failure to submit appropriate response plans

- Non-compliance with CDC requirements, to include not adhering to social distancing protocols, unauthorized crew transfers, failure to submit weekly data, not cancelling social gatherings, and not closing crew bars, gyms, etc.

- RCL claiming their non-compliance was caused by "misinterpretation" 

- Inability to designate "well" and "sick" spaces for crew...

The  number of cruise ships operating in US waters to be reduced to 49 (in June there were 114 in US waters and another 30-some "nearby") signifies the challenge ahead for cruise ship operators - and for those of us "planning" at some future point to resume cruising.  Reducing the number of ships by half is a significant drop and and indicator that cruise lines are not keeping us informed yet keep asking for deposits and not refunding monies for cruises they know will not sail.

If cruise lines are not complying with the CDC it begs the question of what they will do to keep paying passengers, much less crew, safe.  

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 6:29 AM, hcat said:

Not looking good for  early 2021.  More cancellations and  delayed refunds lie ahead, We are going to inquire if we can use our fcc ( which expires 12/3/ 21) in 2022 or possibly get it refunded. ( fat chance!)

So updated to add...

I was given FCC that said on the email they will expire Dec 2021.

I emailed weeks ago, to see if the date was actually extended to my credit- no response.

I went ahead today and added the FCCs to a cruise we had booked for March 2022. And I received confirmation just now that they were in fact added to our reservation. So yes, they are good until 2022. ( not sure how far into 2022... something tells me they will continue to extend) 

We were a unique case, because we actually cancelled about 12 hours before the actual official announcement of suspension of cruises.Our cruise was March 14. We cancelled March 13.   I was given a 125% FCC, they continually told me I was only entitled to receive 100% FCC because I cancelled. And I was “ lucky” to receive what I did ( even though Canada had put a warning on taking cruises) So, they will not, under any circumstances (their words) allow me to get a refund.. I cancelled, so I guess I’m “ lucky“ to have received what I did. That was what I was told back in May when the FCC finally arrived.
At this point, I would just prefer a refund.   Who knows what will happen as cruises continue to be suspended. 

2 hours ago, Krydstosser said:

Why is Celebrity canceling cruises in Europe??

The Covid numbers are very low and MSC and Costa is going to start by medio august from european ports! 

It make no sense to me? 

Good question 

I can only assume it’s more to do with getting passengers to the ships.  Both costa and msc carry predominantly European passengers or at least can make a cruise viable with drive to guests 

Celebrity’s main customers are from the US which still has substantial travel restrictions and to be honest it’s difficult to see this changing in the next few months

I fear the only possibility cruises this year are a few out of UK as these tend to carry a large number of locals. Of course subject to the UK lifting it’s ban

The Covid numbers are very low and MSC and Costa is going to start by medio august from european ports! 

It make no sense to me? 

Absolutely no guarantee this will happen, still an aspiration and very unlikely. If it does, could well be for a very limited market and home ports only. Greece is considering further lock down due to spike in cases caused by tourism. 

It make no sense to me? 

Most of the ocean cruises starting in Europe right now are “cruises to nowhere“ - e.g. Norwegian Fjords without getting of the ship.

They are limited to 60 % capacity (TUI Cruises) and the majority is so far limited to certain nationalities.  For local cruise lines that’s doable... Celebrity, not so much.

Celebrity would have to change their marketing strategy. In the past years Celebrity has neglected the local clientele in Europe. Regional offices were closed, numbers of reps cut etc. Even TAs complained that they don’t get any support any more.

In the recent LLP interview, she  said Great Britain was consistenly number one for bookings and that APEX would def be back there....no date given. Did not mention where those cruises were headed just  the bookings.

She also mentioned that Celebrity has hired an image  or branding consultant rec by Kelly Hoppen,  all across the pond. Maybe some of their ships will taken on more of an international flavor as they seek out Gen X cruisers. ?????

43 minutes ago, hcat said:

In the recent LLP interview, she  said Great Britain was consistenly number one for bookings and that APEX would def be back there....no date given. Did not mention where those cruises were headed just  the bookings.

She also mentioned that Celebrity has hired an image  or branding consultant rec by Kelly Hoppen,  all across the pond. Maybe some of their ships will taken on more of an international flavor as they seek out Gen X cruisers. ?????

Kelly Hoppen needs a great image and branding consultant

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ECCruise said:

All you have to do is look at the situations posted above in Ireland and Canada and all over the United States when it comes to following common sense rules.

When cruising resumes it will almost be a certainty that masks will be required in a number of situations, from checking in, to lining up for restaurants and tours, leaving the ship and returning to ship with excursions, in theaters at all times.

And it will be almost a certainty that a certain cadre of cruisers will agree to the mask mandates and then immediately flaunt them, claiming inanities about civil rights and inability to breathe, etc.

Which will then instigate confrontations with staff.  And with fellow pax.  And then ship security.

But not to worry, though, because of the actions of a few, cruising from the US is far, far off on the horizon.

But Mr. Spock said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Most of the ocean cruises starting in Europe right now are “cruises to nowhere“ - e.g. Norwegian Fjords without getting of the ship.

They are limited to 60 % capacity (TUI Cruises) and the majority is so far limited to certain nationalities.  For local cruise lines that’s doable... Celebrity, not so much.

Celebrity would have to change their marketing strategy. In the past years Celebrity has neglected the local clientele in Europe. Regional offices were closed, numbers of reps cut etc. Even TAs complained that they don’t get any support any more.

There have been no TUI cruises to Norway only small ships operated by Hurtigruten and one by Sea Dream (112 passengers)

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2043540

SUNDAY 19TH JULY 2020 

Published on Thursday, July 16, 2020 

CLIA welcomes FCO advice with river cruising set to return

CLIA has welcomed new government travel advice which has paved the way for the resumption of river cruising.

In an update, the FCO clarified its advice by saying the warning not to cruise now only relates to "sea-going cruise ships".

The relaxing of guidelines will bring some respite to the beleaguered cruise sector which has been ravaged by Covid-19.      

CLIA UK & Ireland Director, Andy Harmer, said: "This latest change to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's advisory regarding cruise ship travel provides a very welcome boost.

"We are seeing a gradual, phased-in approach to resumption of cruise operations across Europe, initially domestic and regional.

"CLIA is continuing its constructive dialogue with the Department for Transport and Public Health England to finalise the road map to resumption of international cruise travel."

The updated advice reads: "The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England.

"Cruise ship travel means staying overnight for at least 1 night on a sea-going cruise ship with people from multiple households.

"Our advice against cruises applies to international travel on a ship that is exclusively for pleasure or recreation, providing overnight accommodation and other leisure facilities such as entertainment venues or swimming pools."

The advice does not include ferries or privately-rented boats.

The government said it 'will continue to review its cruise ship travel advice based on the latest medical advice'.

James Cole, Founder and Managing Director of Panache Cruises, said:  "It's so pleasing to see that the FCO has changed its advice and river cruising has been given the green light.

"When you combine this with the industry leading protocols that are being implemented by each of the cruise lines, the low deposit schemes and flexible booking conditions, together with the exceptional deals available to consumers, now is certainly the best time in the history of cruising to book a cruise. But my advice would be not to wait, as prices will increase as bookings gain momentum."

By Steve Jones, Contributing Editor

5 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

There have been no TUI cruises to Norway only small ships operated by Hurtigruten and one by Sea Dream (112 passengers)

🙄 Please don´t put words into my mouth!

I didn´t say TUI Cruises was the cruise line which already did the cruise to Norway.

I mentioned Norway as an example for the cruises which already took place in Europe and I mentioned TUI as an example for the reduced capacity. Don´t mix up information and tell me I did 😄

But FYI: Since Friday or so, TUI cruises also offer a 7 night cruise to Norway starting 08/07.