New CDC Order

Bill Miller

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Not looking good for  early 2021.  More cancellations and  delayed refunds lie ahead, We are going to inquire if we can use our fcc ( which expires 12/3/ 21) in 2022 or possibly get it refunded. ( fat chance!)

I'm starting to agree about early 2021 cruises being cancelled.  I always book early so I have already booked my cruises for February 2021 and 2022.  I suspect that sometime this Fall I'll be doing a lift and shift from February 2021 to February 2023 when those cruises are released. 

Don’t panic.  The cruise line will offer you an incentive to keep you booked. They want to keep your money. They want you to want to sail again. 
unfortunately,  not much news has been shown regarding changes to provide real sense of safety.   I am surprised that since cruising stopped 4 months ago, we have heard very little about changes. Starting to wonder when or if cruising will return.  Looking at possible land vacations.

11 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Don’t panic.  The cruise line will offer you an incentive to keep you booked. They want to keep your money. They want you to want to sail again. 
unfortunately,  not much news has been shown regarding changes to provide real sense of safety.   I am surprised that since cruising stopped 4 months ago, we have heard very little about changes. Starting to wonder when or if cruising will return.  Looking at possible land vacations.

Cruising is starting again later this month in some parts of the world.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

how can we trust them to carry thousands of passengers?

Masks, masks and more masks. 

No that won't stop covid from getting loose on a ship.  But it's the best they'll have.  Despite all the talk about social distancing and cleaning, the big unanswered question is, where is the detailed plan to follow when someone tests positive on a ship.  Crew or guest. 

So glad we moved all our reservations to late 2021 and beyond.

Edited by bouhunter

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The most damning part to me is cruise lines inability to eradicate outbreaks on ships carrying only skeleton staff.  If they can't safely operate ships with only a couple of hundred crew aboard how can we trust them to carry thousands of passengers?

^^THAT^^

" If they can't safely operate ships with only a couple of hundred crew aboard how can we trust them to carry thousands of passengers?"

We can't.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Masks, masks and more masks. 

No that won't stop covid from getting loose on a ship.  But it's the best they'll have.  Despite all the talk about social distancing and cleaning, the big unanswered question is, where is the detailed plan to follow when someone tests positive on a ship.  Crew or guest. 

So glad we moved all our reservations to late 2021 and beyond.

The No Sail Order requires that the crew wear masks when outside of their cabins.  If you read the revised NSO you will see that this is one of the areas the CDC highlighted as a non-compliance issue.  If cruise ships are having trouble getting their crews to comply with mask requirements, what are the chances that they will be more successful with thousands of passengers?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

PLEASE, just end this Death By A Thousand Cuts and ban cruising until January 2021.  Put us out of our misery.

I think you will be lucky to see any substance to cruising at all till mid to late 2021. Many major companies are already announcing they don't see an office life happening again till spring of 2021 at earliest.

Edited by bajathree

32 minutes ago, mnocket said:

The No Sail Order requires that the crew wear masks when outside of their cabins.  If you read the revised NSO you will see that this is one of the areas the CDC highlighted as a non-compliance issue.  If cruise ships are having trouble getting their crews to comply with mask requirements, what are the chances that they will be more successful with thousands of passengers?

Zero

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I think you will be lucky to see any substance to cruising at all till mid to late 2021. Many major companies are already announcing they don't see an office life happening again till spring of 2021 at earliest.

Yeah, it's looking like spring 2021 is the soonest many things MAY get HALF way back to normal.  Don't see how mass market large cruise ships are sailing before then.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I'm just trying to maintain a little bit of optimism but I think you're right, which is why I wish Celebrity would suspend cruising for the rest of 2020.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah, it's looking like spring 2021 is the soonest many things MAY get HALF way back to normal.  Don't see how mass market large cruise ships are sailing before then.

In which case I also dont see how the cruise lines can stay solvent. 

The problem I see is that a lot of people seem to think we can wait this out until there is a vaccine.

If you asked me to make a wager, I believe it is more likely that an effective vaccine for this will never be developed.

How long are people willing to wait for the vaccine? I guess that’s the ultimate question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch175 said:

The problem I see is that a lot of people seem to think we can wait this out until there is a vaccine.

If you asked me to make a wager, I believe it is more likely that an effective vaccine for this will never be developed.

How long are people willing to wait for the vaccine? I guess that’s the ultimate question.

November

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

The other lines could do what CCL did take their ships outside of US waters, that way they did not get flagged. Did not make any progress with a plan, but nothing in print about their non-compliance.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

The other lines could do what CCL did take their ships outside of US waters, that way they did not get flagged. Did not make any progress with a plan, but nothing in print about their non-compliance.

None of X's ships are currently in US waters.

22 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

None of X's ships are currently in US waters.

But the parent company RCL does have ships and is working on plans.  They are also working with NCLH on the experts panel.

Where as CCL removed all of their ships and informed CDC that they would not return while the no sail order was in force.

7 hours ago, ch175 said:

Never be developed??  Then why are companies pouring millions (probably billions, all told)of dollars trying to develop them? Perhaps they know more about it than you do. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.