Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

So it's long. Most people probably start with the last few pages for recent recommendations. A few may read the whole thing. But as cruisemom says, there is a lot of good information here. I don't see the need to split it up or to discard most of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, marazul said:

So it's long. Most people probably start with the last few pages for recent recommendations. A few may read the whole thing. But as cruisemom says, there is a lot of good information here. I don't see the need to split it up or to discard most of it.

I agree, people have trouble finding things as it is.   They can choose to read all, some or none.  But it’s nice to have one place with so much good information. 

I appreciate bring consulted. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Ciao tutti!

Hope everyone is doing well, and if not in Italy, planning to be sometime soon (or reflecting on memories of a recent visit 😉 )

Thanks to everyone for making this topic so wonderful, can't believe it's up to 38 pages!! So I was wondering what the community wanted: close this, link it into a new edition, or leave it to grow a bit longer? (Too much to scroll through??)

Totally up to the group, so if a majority of you think let's leave it as is, we will. If not, we can do a 2.0 and link this topic at the opening of the start of the new edition so there's easy access to the original.

I'll check back in a few days, à presto. Grazie!

Bonjour - 

bennybear said it - thanks for asking for our opinions.  We do appreciate your contributions and steering of this board.   

Mille grazie!

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 6:03 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Sei molto gentile, grazie!

Sono d'accordo!

Cruisemom, marazul, bennybear, slidergirl, Hank, JB, euro, fellow Hosts, everyone...(you know I know who you are)  new members, incredible community members contributing day in day out, generously sharing their rich knowledge and experience of Italian travel with our community. 

No one wants to be disappointed with their room, or a dinner, and everyone wants an unforgettable experience on a cruise/trip. When they get info here, the likelihood they'll get exactly that increases significantly thanks to all of YOU. 

How lucky are we? 

To be clear, the topic would NOT disappear, it would be linked directly into a new topic, in the very first post of the new one. CC only deletes topics that disregard community standards so of course, the original would always remain and be easily accessible in the new topic (if/when).

With that said, maybe it's not yet time to start, and that's cool. Yep, it's easy to jump to last page and click backwards, or jump around. We can revisit, maybe at 50 pages or another point? 

But since it's you that utilize and power the resource, it only makes sense to check in and get your thoughts. I appreciate your feedback!

Grazie mille 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Sono d'accordo!

Cruisemom, marazul, bennybear, slidergirl, Hank, JB, euro, fellow Hosts, everyone...(you know I know who you are)  new members, incredible community members contributing day in day out, generously sharing their rich knowledge and experience of Italian travel with our community. 

No one wants to be disappointed with their room, or a dinner, and everyone wants an unforgettable experience on a cruise/trip. When they get info here, the likelihood they'll get exactly that increases significantly thanks to all of YOU. 

How lucky are we? 

To be clear, the topic would NOT disappear, it would be linked directly into a new topic, in the very first post of the new one. CC only deletes topics that disregard community standards so of course, the original would always remain and be easily accessible in the new topic (if/when).

With that said, maybe it's not yet time to start, and that's cool. Yep, it's easy to jump to last page and click backwards, or jump around. We can revisit, maybe at 50 pages or another point? 

But since it's you that utilize and power the resource, it only makes sense to check in and get your thoughts. I appreciate your feedback!

Grazie mille 

Thank you.  My preference is to wait as well.  There is a general Celebrity Xpedition thread on the roll call forum that has grown sufficiently such that it has been chopped up into 4 different threads--Part 1 (420 pages), Part 2 (205 pages), Part 3 (200 pages), and Part 4 (currently at a paltry 13 pages).  The big drawback is that it makes it less convenient to do a search.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Looking to stay close to the Pantheon for three nights before our TA next November. Both the Albergo del Senato and the Abruzzi are booked. Any other suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

I think that I’m trying to book too soon by a month. I have contacted the Albergo and enquired. 

Anyone know anything about The Hotel Romanico Palace?  This thread is too long to search in my short time frame…TA suggested this one, good price, 4 stars but we need to put down a deposit ASAP.  We’ve never been to Rome, was hoping someone here has experienced this hotel.  TIA!

Here is my research for late next year.

Preferred location is Pantheon and Piazza Navona
#1 Albergo del Senato (on piazza at Pantheon) 9.3. $1201, $1122, Pantheon patio requires 4 nights and is $445/night
Hotel Smeraldo 8.9 (between Colosseum and Vatican),affordable $813
Hotel Ponte SISTO 8.4 $1048
Hotel Navona 8.4 $1077
Albergo Santa Chiara 8.7 (near Pantheon) $1305
Lancelot 8.8 (near Colosseum) $664
Navona 49 9.0 $1323
Hotel Damaso 9.3 (near Pantheon) $1200
Hotel Artemide
Hotel Colosseum 8.4
Hotel Locarno 9.2
Albergo Cesari $579
Hotel Nerva Boutique 9.3 (near Forum) 
Hotel Hiberia Roma 8.7 $850 with view
Hotel Pantheon
Marriott Pantheon Iconic 286,000 points
Hotel Abruzzi $1185 annex, $1581 pantheon view
The one Boutique Hotel and Spa8.9 $1591
Boutique Hotel Trevi 7.4 $1056
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

Anyone know anything about The Hotel Romanico Palace?  This thread is too long to search in my short time frame…TA suggested this one, good price, 4 stars but we need to put down a deposit ASAP.  We’ve never been to Rome, was hoping someone here has experienced this hotel.  TIA!

I'd recommend you go to Google Maps and determine, based on what you want to see and your comfort level in walking, if you want to be closer to the Borghese Gallery (.5 miles) or Trevi Fountain (1 mile).  This hotel is a little too far away for me - I prefer something in the Trevi/Piazza Navona/Pantheon area.  

Also, to save you time there is a search function. 

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

1 hour ago, GrandmaOhio said:

I agree -- location is not ideal. It's quite a walk to most of the sites visitors want to see.

@GrandmaOhio For a quick list of well-vetted hotels in the centro (historical center), see the list just posted by Kohanfam in this thread (post #940). Maybe you could share the list with your travel agent?

Most are good, local (not chain) hotels. Rooms tend to be small-ish in many of these hotels, but it's better to have a smaller room in a prime location in Rome.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

First I want to THANK all of you who contribute to this thread.  It was invaluable for our trip!

We just got back from Rome last night.  We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo 2 nights post cruise.

We felt like we got a  feel for being a Local staying there.

We stayed in the hotel Smeraldo annex which is steps across the alley from hotel front door.

That is Not an issue.  But for anyone who stays there with a window facing the busy alley?

You WILL Get NOISE almost 24/7.  Quiet time is after midnight to 4:30Am.

After that, its a busy little street and you HEAR every car, truck and person walking/talking by.

Our room was Floor 3, almost directly above Forno, which has very good takeaway pizza.

(theres really nowhere outside to sit to eat, so we got ToGo and ate in our room)

Hotel S comp breakfast in the morning was very good on our first night.  We missed it

second day.  Its open 7-10Am only.

We met a couple from our cruise when we were heading back to FCO and got their

feedback on where they stayed? 

They stayed at the Hilton AT the airport. (NOT the Hilton Garden, that is farther away)

So when we were driving into the FCO, we could See the Hilton AT the airport, and boy

is it AT the airport!  Like a short walk into the Terminal!  That looked so easy!

To be honest, I wish we stayed there, and took the train or taxi into central Rome to

walk around the sights..... then be closeby the airport when it was time to leave.

We would have gotten alot more sleep!

The couple said they really didn't hear the planes... couldn't have been any worse than

the street noise we got all hours.  Even with our windows closed, we heard Everything.

So, If you have a short stay pre or post cruise? 

You might consider Hilton AT the airport, instead of staying in town in Rome.

Thats what we plan to do if theres a next time.

Happy travels all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

We stayed in the hotel Smeraldo annex which is steps across the alley from hotel front door.

That is Not an issue.  But for anyone who stays there with a window facing the busy alley?

After that, its a busy little street and you HEAR every car, truck and person walking/talking by.

We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo for five nights during the first week of October in a two-bedroom third floor apartment across the street from Roscioli Forno.  Our accommodation must have been better insulated than yours because, although it was noisy, it wasn't so loud that it was an issue for us.

We really enjoyed the location...within walking distance of all the sites, restaurants, shopping, etc. that make Rome so special for us.   An airport hotel would work for us only in the event of a late arrival or early departure.  Otherwise it's just too far removed from the action.

9 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Thanks for your report.  It's a good opportunity to talk a little bit about hotel "annexes" in Rome and other places. 

In historic centers like the one in Rome, most buildings are classified as historically important and footprints often can't be changed. 

To get around this, some hotels will have a separate annex building to provide additional rooms for guests. These buildings are usually near the original hotel but may be situated with a less pleasant aspect (view) or be part of a more modern building (not in a good way). They tend to have less of the historical character and interest of the original building. This isn't unique to Rome. Even the famous Hotel Danieli in Venice has an annex building that lacks the same period charm and details of the original.

My own policy is to avoid rooms in annexes after a couple of experiences that underwhelmed me. Definitely reserve a room in the main hotel building, if at all possible. If there is not a room in the main building, or the annex is less expensive and you decide to go for it, be aware that it may not be to the same standards as the reviews you've read for the hotel.

One further note: many people ask about the availability of triples in Rome hotels. Triples also seem to be located in annex buildings, probably because the room sizes are larger and can accommodate them. Just be aware of what you're getting.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for your report.  It's a good opportunity to talk a little bit about hotel "annexes" in Rome and other places. 

In historic centers like the one in Rome, most buildings are classified as historically important and footprints often can't be changed. 

To get around this, some hotels will have a separate annex building to provide additional rooms for guests. These buildings are usually near the original hotel but may be situated with a less pleasant aspect (view) or be part of a more modern building (not in a good way). They tend to have less of the historical character and interest of the original building. This isn't unique to Rome. Even the famous Hotel Danieli in Venice has an annex building that lacks the same period charm and details of the original.

My own policy is to avoid rooms in annexes after a couple of experiences that underwhelmed me. Definitely reserve a room in the main hotel building, if at all possible. If there is not a room in the main building, or the annex is less expensive and you decide to go for it, be aware that it may not be to the same standards as the reviews you've read for the hotel.

One further note: many people ask about the availability of triples in Rome hotels. Triples also seem to be located in annex buildings, probably because the room sizes are larger and can accommodate them. Just be aware of what you're getting.

Thanks for this useful information on annexes! When booking a hotel, is it usually evident if you’re booking an annex room or does one need to ask?

8 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Thanks for this useful information on annexes! When booking a hotel, is it usually evident if you’re booking an annex room or does one need to ask?

Usually it will be considered a separate category but you do have to read carefully. They may not call it an "annex" but rather have some other special name for it like a "value room" or something similar. Reading reviews on booking sites is always useful. 

When in doubt, it is always a good idea to ask...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Usually it will be considered a separate category but you do have to read carefully. They may not call it an "annex" but rather have some other special name for it like a "value room" or something similar. Reading reviews on booking sites is always useful. 

When in doubt, it is always a good idea to ask...

I will be staying in Albergo Santa Chiara with a courtyard view. The description says 3 adjoining buildings. Do you have any information on this hotel in regard to an "annex" type of building or are all 3 buildings "charming"?

27 minutes ago, sasandy said:

I will be staying in Albergo Santa Chiara with a courtyard view. The description says 3 adjoining buildings. Do you have any information on this hotel in regard to an "annex" type of building or are all 3 buildings "charming"?

Sorry, I have only stayed in the main building. 

I would suggest possibly searching for photos online.