Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Their reservation portal opens up reservations one year in advance.  I am not sure if it is by exact date or by month.

Email them and they can bypass the web portal for reservations.

Thanks for the advice!  I just sent them an email.  Provided our dates and requested a superior double room. Their website is promoting discounted rates including WiFi and breakfast! Hope I can get that!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BlueCO102 said:

In researching hotels for a post-cruise stay in Rome this fall, I've noticed many of the booking websites allow for booking in various currencies. Is there any advantage to booking in EUR and letting my credit card convert to USD vs booking directly in USD?

The only potential difference I am seeing is difference in exchange rate. For informational purposes the card would use has no foreign transaction fees.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom of experience!

Better to book in local currency.  If you book in USD, you’ll pay a local bank conversion fee.  Always pay in local currency and let your credit card company do the conversion.

1 hour ago, BlueCO102 said:

In researching hotels for a post-cruise stay in Rome this fall, I've noticed many of the booking websites allow for booking in various currencies. Is there any advantage to booking in EUR and letting my credit card convert to USD vs booking directly in USD?

The only potential difference I am seeing is difference in exchange rate. For informational purposes the card would use has no foreign transaction fees.

My experience with this is to book in EUR. I did this with airline tickets from ATH-MAD and it came out cheaper in EUR. 

It makes sense that letting the credit card make the conversion would be cheaper. It would be closer to the actual exchange rate than a hotels which probably isn't updating very often.

Thanks for the nudge to logic! Lol.

I do appreciate the responses.

6 hours ago, BlueCO102 said:

Always, always book in the currency of the country. Let your credit card do the exchange. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, marazul said:

Their reservation portal opens up reservations one year in advance.  I am not sure if it is by exact date or by month.

Email them and they can bypass the web portal for reservations.

Hi again, is it typical for Albergo del Senato to request credit card info to be sent to them via email to hold the reservation?  If so, I may just wait for the one year mark when online resettle open up.  

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Hi again, is it typical for Albergo del Senato to request credit card info to be sent to them via email to hold the reservation?  If so, I may just wait for the one year mark when online resettle open up.  

Yes, it is. You can email it, call them, or send it by WhatsApp. 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone recommend a hotel for 2 adults + 2 teenagers in Rome. We are staying one night before a cruise, so will be flying into Fiumicino, train into the city and then train to Civitavecchia the following morning. So ideally a hotel room that handles 4 people and is near a train station. I've tried searching on the usual websites but get a lot of guest-house style places and would prefer to stay in a chain style hotel. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MasterNotCommander said:

Can anyone recommend a hotel for 2 adults + 2 teenagers in Rome. We are staying one night before a cruise, so will be flying into Fiumicino, train into the city and then train to Civitavecchia the following morning. So ideally a hotel room that handles 4 people and is near a train station. I've tried searching on the usual websites but get a lot of guest-house style places and would prefer to stay in a chain style hotel. 

Feel one should look at the convenience and costs by staying at an Airport Hotel, then take Rome Cabs (or another supplier-shared or otherwise) direct to port.  
The faffing about with trains, on/off, dragging luggage, finding seats together and securing luggage, then again at the destination station, is not considered fun.
Also, when taking into consideration the total train costs, don’t think there would not be much difference between one’s thinking and the overnight Airport Hotel and arriving in comfort option.

Know CC will recommend Airport Hotels and transportation options.

Link for pricing - https://www.romecabs.com

Edited by PORT ROYAL
CC

1 hour ago, MasterNotCommander said:

I usually don't recommend staying near Termini (nothing unsafe, it's just not the most scenic area). But in your case I think it makes sense. I assume you plan to see something of Rome in the partial day you have, so I'd advise this rather than staying at the airport.

UNAhotels is, I think, an Italian chain of hotels. They have a good property just steps from the train station that is very convenient and a good value for the area when you want a hotel, as you said, rather than a B&B or inn. Their rooms are large and modern. Also they have a great American-style breakfast buffet, which is unusual for Rome (some rates include it, with other rates it may cost extra).

https://www.gruppouna.it/en/unahotels/unahotels-deco-roma

• Like 1

Hotel Ariston

https://www.hotelariston.it/en/  

From Termini Station to Hotel Ariston only 3 minutes on foot. 

FROM - Rome's "Leonardo da Vinci" airport with the "Leonardo Express" train which will take you to Termini station in 30 minutes.

FROM - Express Train to Civitavecchia leaves Termini every hour. Or from Civitavecchia to Termini Station. Very inexpensive.

We stayed at the Hotel Ariston last October during the Ryders Cup golf tournament and it was busy with Ryders Cup fans.

We enjoyed good rates, booking directly thru the hotels web site. Rooms are clean and AC worked great. Room furniture by IKEA, but that wasn't a big issue when you are enjoying magnificent Rome.

Across the street from the Ariston are several sidewalk cafes, cold beer in large mugs and simple menu choices. Taxis pile up on the street looking for fares, so travelling to swankier dining choices is easy.

It's easy to hop a taxi for the quick ride to popular tourist spots. Taxis are set up with credit card readers so you don't have to fumble with currency. 

We were there on a Friday and Saturday. On Sunday this religious city shuts down to a very slow pace, but we were off to the airport for a flight to London so it didn't matter. A quick walk around the block we were in the train station, no hassle with taxis.

We only have English as a language and yet the whole visit was very comfortable. 

Wishing you,  A Bon Voyage!

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on Albergo del Senato for a family of 5 for 2-3 days prior to Cruise next July (2025)?

As I started to dig into the hotels I figured out pretty quickly the big chains didn't offer much for award usage, price, room size, location, or experience, and then started on the independent hotels.

I think we want to stay around Pantheon for all the obvious reasons (I was torn on this or Trastevere, but it seems better to stay in Pantheon and go over there for dinner and shopping than vice versa). Albergo del Senato is a good price point and with all the bonuses (location, A/C, wifi, scenery, rooftop, etc), but we have that large family (literally and figuratively, I'm about 6'4" 260 and my sons are pretty big too) with odd numbers and it doesn't seem like their rooms are setup for it. I'm fine booking two rooms, but would like to avoid 3 as that is getting pricey. The kids will be 11, 15, and 17. I'm open to other equivalent recommendations for hotels, but they all seem to be around the same configurations.

Edited by Jeeden

34 minutes ago, Jeeden said:

Thoughts on Albergo del Senato for a family of 5 for 2-3 days prior to Cruise next July (2025)?

As I started to dig into the hotels I figured out pretty quickly the big chains didn't offer much for award usage, price, room size, location, or experience, and then started on the independent hotels.

I think we want to stay around Pantheon for all the obvious reasons (I was torn on this or Trastevere, but it seems better to stay in Pantheon and go over there for dinner and shopping than vice versa). Albergo del Senato is a good price point and with all the bonuses (location, A/C, wifi, scenery, rooftop, etc), but we have that large family (literally and figuratively, I'm about 6'4" 260 and my sons are pretty big too) with odd numbers and it doesn't seem like their rooms are setup for it. I'm fine booking two rooms, but would like to avoid 3 as that is getting pricey. The kids will be 11, 15, and 17. I'm open to other equivalent recommendations for hotels, but they all seem to be around the same configurations.

The rooms are tiny but we had a small settee that converted to a bed for our son.   This is a fairly basic hotel and the only thing it has going for it is fantastic location.  If anyone in your party has asthma or dust allergies proceed with caution.  The air vents were spewing dust when we were there.

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

If anyone in your party has asthma or dust allergies proceed with caution.  The air vents were spewing dust when we were there.

I can't stress enough that this is not the norm.

I was there in late November for nearly a week. No problems at all with dust or allergies.

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't stress enough that this is not the norm.

I was there in late November for nearly a week. No problems at all with dust or allergies.

Yeah I saw this mentioned above. Every location has a bad experience but I'll certainly keep an eye on that. 

Definitely open to alternative hotels if anyone has recommendation

4 hours ago, Jeeden said:

Definitely open to alternative hotels if anyone has recommendation

The last time we were in Rome we stayed at Hotel Smeraldo which we will likely do again in 2025.  We stayed in a two bedroom although there were just two of us.  We enjoyed the extra room including two bathrooms.

The hotel is right across the street from L'Antico Forno Roscioli for great takeout dining.  Roscioli has a number of various food locations within a short walk...all excellent and interesting.  We did their wine tasting at Rimessa Roscioli and it was over the top...highly recommended.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 10:05 PM, -Lew- said:

The last time we were in Rome we stayed at Hotel Smeraldo which we will likely do again in 2025.  We stayed in a two bedroom although there were just two of us.  We enjoyed the extra room including two bathrooms.

The hotel is right across the street from L'Antico Forno Roscioli for great takeout dining.  Roscioli has a number of various food locations within a short walk...all excellent and interesting.  We did their wine tasting at Rimessa Roscioli and it was over the top...highly recommended.

I just emailed hotel smeraldo and was told they dont have rooms for my 4 dates, 14 months in advance. I couldnt get their site to work for even closer in dates. 

Only pricing I can get is hotels. com .. $150 a night for 1 twin solo room plus taxes. $686 with taxes. USA. Cant get their hotel site to work. Says from 79 € on their site. Trying to get a idea of prices for difference rooms. I am solo.

20240329_150135.jpg

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just emailed hotel smeraldo and was told they dont have rooms for my 4 dates, 14 months in advance. I couldnt get their site to work for even closer in dates

If your dates are May 26 - 30, 2025, I'm seeing plenty of availability.  Try this link.

All I get is single patron and the price of 550.80 €

Is this a good price for this hotel refundable rate it says. Is it likely to have a big sale? I can keep looking. I'm solo just looking for a soft bed and convenience. Nothing special. Breakfast is a plus here.

20240329_193837124.jpeg

I know Chrome has caused me some problems when trying to make hotel,  dinner, and ticket reservations for our last trip to Rome. The websites will appear to work—pages will load and I can navigate—but it will falsely show no availability. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

All I get is single patron and the price of 550.80 €

Is this a good price for this hotel refundable rate it says. Is it likely to have a big sale? I can keep looking. I'm solo just looking for a soft bed and convenience. Nothing special. Breakfast is a plus here.

20240329_193837124.jpeg

That's a very good rate for four nights. Is it "pay-at-the-hotel and cancellable"? Or at least, refundable? If so, grab it. You have a full year to find something else if you want to. Is this the hotel website or a reservations search engine. If the latter, at some point get confirmation from the hotel that they do have the reservation. 

31 minutes ago, marazul said:

That's a very good rate for four nights. Is it "pay-at-the-hotel and cancellable"? Or at least, refundable? If so, grab it. You have a full year to find something else if you want to. Is this the hotel website or a reservations search engine. If the latter, at some point get confirmation from the hotel that they do have the reservation. 

Yes it says refundable. And yes I get there from what google says is their website. Theres a pop up I cant get to on my other browser where I have to accept cookies. It looks like they have wifi and airport shuttle and continental but filling breakfast per a review. I'm still looking and it doesnt really say what kind of room it is. I dont need 4 days, I'm just guessing.