Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

Agree that Albergo del Senato is a great location but very average.  My DH and I had a terrible time with the air quality in our rooms.  We could see dust blowing in from the vents and needless to say I ended up with a bad sinus infection.  Can’t recommend it.  We actually prefer the Bernini because we prefer a more quiet neighborhood but it’s understandable if it’s one’s first visit to Rome you may want to be more in the touristy area.

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Agree that Albergo del Senato is a great location but very average.  My DH and I had a terrible time with the air quality in our rooms.  We could see dust blowing in from the vents and needless to say I ended up with a bad sinus infection.  Can’t recommend it.  We actually prefer the Bernini because we prefer a more quiet neighborhood but it’s understandable if it’s one’s first visit to Rome you may want to be more in the touristy area.

Wow, that's really out of the norm. I've stayed there probably 8-9 times and never had any problem with the air.  Did you ask them for another room?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 4:12 AM, -Lew- said:

We stayed in the hotel Smeraldo annex which is steps across the alley from hotel front door.

That is Not an issue.  But for anyone who stays there with a window facing the busy alley?

You WILL Get NOISE almost 24/7.  Quiet time is after midnight to 4:30Am.

After that, it’s a busy little street and you HEAR every car, truck and person walking/talking by.

We have a family of 4 wife & 2 Daughters all adults coming in 2 days early, pre-cruise for May. Just called Hotel Smeraldo. 2 BR available. located across street 1st floor. Reading your post about noise and Annex buildings. Making me a little nervous....Want the Girls to have a Great and memorable experience. Appreciate any advice…

3 hours ago, cruznliz said:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Dream Station Rome hotel? It looks like a great location. We're a group of 6 going in July. 

Most wouldn't consider being right next to Termini station a great location.... 

Yes it is convenient for the train, but the area itself is a bit worn-down and unattractive. There are so many other areas within the historic center that are more attractive, as close or closer to the monuments, and with plenty of nice restaurants around for dinner choices.

2 minutes ago, cruznliz said:

Thanks for the input. Do you have a hotel name of something reasonably priced and near either the Vatican or Coliseum?

For proximity to the Colosseum, you could try the Hotel Lancelot. We stayed there precisely for this reason. It's a five minute walk. We would stay there again.

30 minutes ago, cruznliz said:

Thanks for the input. Do you have a hotel name of something reasonably priced and near either the Vatican or Coliseum?

Don't stay near the Vatican unless that is your only interest in Rome.  It is out of the way for all other sightseeing. You will have a much better choice of hotels and restaurants in the central Rome areas, such as Colosseum, Pantheon/Navona or Trevi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not even kidding.  I always sleep with earplugs in any hotel and airplane.  And I sleep so much better with than without.  It’s not just street noise - the room itself has a/c, heating, plumbing, hallway noise that is disruptive.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:41 PM, cruznliz said:

What would you consider reasonably priced?

We desperately need some help please.  We have been in Rome twice and will be again in May.  We joined up with some friends who booked a cruise beginning May 17th.  I never dreamed it would be so difficult to find a place to stay two months out but apparently I should have.  Have read through to page six and the majority of the places either do not have availability, require a stay of more than two nights or the prices are over $500 per night for the most basic room.  We would like to be central and cannot carry luggage up a lot of stairs ourselves.  Can anyone offer suggestions please?  I am really struggling this time!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

We desperately need some help please.  We have been in Rome twice and will be again in May.  We joined up with some friends who booked a cruise beginning May 17th.  I never dreamed it would be so difficult to find a place to stay two months out but apparently I should have.  Have read through to page six and the majority of the places either do not have availability, require a stay of more than two nights or the prices are over $500 per night for the most basic room.  We would like to be central and cannot carry luggage up a lot of stairs ourselves.  Can anyone offer suggestions please?  I am really struggling this time!

That’s odd.  I just did a search on Trip Advisor and there are numerous hotels in the Centro Storico area under $500.  The advantage of Trip Advisor is that you can read hundreds of reviews on any property rather than just random recommendations here.  You could also have your TA do the legwork and they may be able to offer you some perks.

Edited by Gourmet Gal

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Rather than giving you a list of hotels (which you may have already looked at), I would agree with Gourmet Gal -- look at a site like Tripadvisor, select the filter that lets you just look at hotels in the historic center, plug in your dates, and then filter the list by overall rating. You should end up with a number of choices that you can research further by reading reviews or asking here whether anyone is familiar with the property.

Edited to add:  A word of warning. Always try to book directly through the hotel, once you've identified one. TripAdvisor will try to push you to a third-party booking site. Always check with the hotel first.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

How far in advance does the Albergo del Senato allow bookings. I’m looking for September 2025.  

I emailed Albergo Santa Chiara June 2023 for a reservation in September 2024. If you can not get a reservation online you could call or email. They were very nice and happy to make the reservation. They asked several questions so I could get the room I wanted. I realize this is not the same hotel but the strategy would be the same.

Edited by sasandy
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, sasandy said:

I emailed Albergo Santa Chiara June 2023 for a reservation in September 2024. If you can not get a reservation online you could call or email. They were very nice and happy to make the reservation. They asked several questions so I could get the room I wanted. I realize this is not the same hotel but the strategy would be the same.

Thank you for the great suggestion! I’ll take the email route!

One more question…did you have to pay in advance?  Or at time of stay?  Thank you!

Edited by mthomp5

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Thank you for the great suggestion! I’ll take the email route!

One more question…did you have to pay in advance?  Or at time of stay?  Thank you!

Most hotels offer a discounted, pay in advance, non-refundable rate. 

Don't do it unless you are booking just a few days out. Get the pay at the hotel, cancelable rate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Most hotels offer a discounted, pay in advance, non-refundable rate. 

Don't do it unless you are booking just a few days out. Get the pay at the hotel, cancelable rate.

Great advice!  Thank you!

On 3/3/2024 at 9:27 PM, cpl100 said:

Hi! I just confirmed a booking for my party of 4 for Rome for the first week in June. I've been checking since December. Prices have definitely gone up since then but we found at least half a dozen hotels under CAD $350/nt (our budget). For my first step, I used a Google search term, "hotels near Piazza Navona" as that was the area we wanted. When the list of properties showed up, I then used the price filter to indicate the minimum and maximum I was willing to pay per night and got about a dozen properties available. I double-checked all the reviews including stairs vs elevator (I hear you on that!) and managed to get a  decent looking property with good reviews within our budget within a 5-min walk of Piazza Navona. I definitely checked to see if the hotel website gave the best deal. Most of the hotels on this thread were out of our budget range. Hope you find something suitable for you. PS - I also looked at VRBO and Airbnb. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

How far in advance does the Albergo del Senato allow bookings. I’m looking for September 2025.  

Their reservation portal opens up reservations one year in advance.  I am not sure if it is by exact date or by month.

Email them and they can bypass the web portal for reservations.

• Thanks 1

In researching hotels for a post-cruise stay in Rome this fall, I've noticed many of the booking websites allow for booking in various currencies. Is there any advantage to booking in EUR and letting my credit card convert to USD vs booking directly in USD?

The only potential difference I am seeing is difference in exchange rate. For informational purposes the card would use has no foreign transaction fees.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom of experience!