Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

3 minutes ago, tmt218 said:

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into these recommendations. 

Would we be better to head to the airport and stay near there? 

Well, it's just IMHO, but I never stay at the airport unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Why suck all the joy out of your last night in Rome? Stay in the city, dine in a nice restaurant with a view of the ruins and make memories to take home. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it's just IMHO, but I never stay at the airport unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Why suck all the joy out of your last night in Rome? Stay in the city, dine in a nice restaurant with a view of the ruins and make memories to take home. 

Thank you! I agree I want to soak up as much as I can before heading home. This will be our first visit. 

10 hours ago, SharonK said:

how is the location of Starhotel Michaelangelo?  I'm looking for a post cruise hotel for October in a great location for the sights.

Starhotels Michelangelo is near the Vatican but it is not very central for anything else. I would try to find somewhere nearer the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Trevi area if you want a central location.

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Starhotels Michelangelo is near the Vatican but it is not very central for anything else. I would try to find somewhere nearer the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Trevi area if you want a central location.

I have stayed at the Star Hotel Michelangelo many, many years ago. @cruisemom42 is correct in that it is closer to the Vatican and not much else. There were only a few outdoor restaurants and an open air market close but to get to any other sights, we had to take a cab. The rooms were nice and big but just not centrally located. With that being said, We were in Rome in OCT 2022 and stayed at the Hotel Capo d'Africa which is across the street from the Lancelot. We could walk to the Coliseum and there were many restaurants around which were excellent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SharonK said:

Thank you so much.  Now I have a better idea where to look.

Taken from our balcony at the Lancelot, the Colosseum is just a few minutes walk down the road. There are restaurants literally just steps away (and also the pharmacy where I spent a horrendous five minutes waiting for the result of the C-test that we still needed at the time to board Odyssey!).

PXL_20220507_073948229.thumb.jpg.9118e427729e2f6b718fccb4ec9b68b5.jpg

I think the Capo d'Africa is the cream-coloured building opposite in this second pic.

PXL_20220507_073955991.thumb.jpg.863090ef1a2789ccba25511acff6e04e.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 11:10 PM, tmt218 said:

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into these recommendations. 

Would we be better to head to the airport and stay near there? 

You need to be at airport at least 2 or 2.5 hrs for international flights typically and it may take 1 or 2 hrs to get to airport 

16 minutes ago, 1cruise2U said:

You need to be at airport at least 2 or 2.5 hrs for international flights typically and it may take 1 or 2 hrs to get to airport 

For flights bound for the US, the recommendation is to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of flight time.

The OP's flight is at noon. Per Google maps (and my own experience), if you get into a taxi at the Pantheon taxi rank (pretty much the heart of central Rome), the trip to the airport will take from 30 minutes to an hour. I'd say 45 minutes is about average. Two hours is an exaggeration short of a massive traffic snafu.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1cruise2U said:

Thank you! Luckily my home airport is Atlanta.  I’m use to traffic and long lines. I always give myself extra time. 

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For flights bound for the US, the recommendation is to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of flight time.

The OP's flight is at noon. Per Google maps (and my own experience), if you get into a taxi at the Pantheon taxi rank (pretty much the heart of central Rome), the trip to the airport will take from 30 minutes to an hour. I'd say 45 minutes is about average. Two hours is an exaggeration short of a massive traffic snafu.

I plan on being picked up at 7:30am to give myself some cushion. 

• Like 2

We are planning on staying at the Alberto del Senato because of your great advice. My question is: Has anyone stayed during the month of November? Any tips or advice? This is our first trip to Italy.  We are flying into Naples for a few nights, then on to Rome before our TA cruise.

2 hours ago, shiner6 said:

We are planning on staying at the Alberto del Senato because of your great advice. My question is: Has anyone stayed during the month of November? Any tips or advice? This is our first trip to Italy.  We are flying into Naples for a few nights, then on to Rome before our TA cruise.

I was just there last November for a week (the week of Thanksgiving). I was lucky that the weather was terrific; I have been in Rome that time of year before and it can be rainy, so be prepared with a rain jacket or poncho, umbrella, and shoes that can handle getting wet. 

In past years, the hotel had completely shut down the rooftop terrace/bar by November. This year, the terrace was open, but there was no bar service. You can still bring your own drink up there and sit, if the weather is fine. (And the inside bar is off the lobby.)

Rome was more crowded than I had experienced in past years at this time of year. But still much better than in summer!  Lines at the Pantheon, for example, were rarely long and I could roll up and buy my ticket on the spot and get in, rather than having to buy ticket in advance online. Other places (like the Colosseum and Vatican) still require a reservation though, unless you want to spend valuable time waiting in line.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was just there last November for a week (the week of Thanksgiving). I was lucky that the weather was terrific; I have been in Rome that time of year before and it can be rainy, so be prepared with a rain jacket or poncho, umbrella, and shoes that can handle getting wet. 

In past years, the hotel had completely shut down the rooftop terrace/bar by November. This year, the terrace was open, but there was no bar service. You can still bring your own drink up there and sit, if the weather is fine. (And the inside bar is off the lobby.)

Rome was more crowded than I had experienced in past years at this time of year. But still much better than in summer!  Lines at the Pantheon, for example, were rarely long and I could roll up and buy my ticket on the spot and get in, rather than having to buy ticket in advance online. Other places (like the Colosseum and Vatican) still require a reservation though, unless you want to spend valuable time waiting in line.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you cruisemom! I am about to book my Flights.  I was thinking about flying into Naples for 3 nights, then heading to Rome on the train for 4 nights before boarding my cruise. I have been reading posts about getting tickets beforehand to the most important sites. It is great that people like you offer your advice. I like to do it for others as well.

We will be there around the 2nd week in November, so we will be prepared with appropriate clothing.  I love to hear the details like you provided about the bar.  These are the tips that I find very helpful in planning. 

• Thanks 1

My daughter and I will be arriving in Rome from our cruise on October 12th and leaving at 10:10 AM on the 14th. We have ever been to Rome before so we need recommendations on good locations for hotels and transfers from the ship.  Right now I think we want to tour the Vatican one day and perhaps do the Hop-on Hop-off bus the other day.  Thanks in advance for any wisdom people might have to offer.  

13 minutes ago, SBLOK64 said:

My daughter and I will be arriving in Rome from our cruise on October 12th and leaving at 10:10 AM on the 14th. We have ever been to Rome before so we need recommendations on good locations for hotels and transfers from the ship.  Right now I think we want to tour the Vatican one day and perhaps do the Hop-on Hop-off bus the other day.  Thanks in advance for any wisdom people might have to offer.  

This entire thread is full of the advice you seek. Have a read through it (you can skim) and then if you have specific questions it is easier to answer them rather than keep repeating myself.

54 minutes ago, SBLOK64 said:

That is a lot to do in one day. You arrive on the 12th and will most likely have jet lag and will get settled in your hotel. You have the 13th to tour. Then you get a transfer to the port on the 14th. If possible, consider staying 3 nights.

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This entire thread is full of the advice you seek. Have a read through it (you can skim) and then if you have specific questions it is easier to answer them rather than keep repeating myself.

Alternatively, copy what one has undertaken, use the search facility (imbedded in top bar of thread) ) using a “key word” (name of hotel etc).

9 minutes ago, nini said:

That is a lot to do in one day. You arrive on the 12th and will most likely have jet lag and will get settled in your hotel. You have the 13th to tour. Then you get a transfer to the port on the 14th. If possible, consider staying 3 nights.

It appears @SBLOK64 is arriving in Civitavecchia on the 12th, so no jet lag.

1 hour ago, SBLOK64 said:

Pardon me. It is still way to short IMHO. But it is your dime and time.

7 hours ago, SBLOK64 said:

I have seen reviews of the Hop-on Hop-off bus. They are very crowded and traffic is terrible in Rome. I decided to get a hotel, Albergo Santa Chiara, near the Pantheon so I can walk almost everywhere. I booked a golf cart tour to take me to Appian Way and Catacombs since it is too far to walk. I will take a taxi to the Vatican for an early morning tour. I can walk to Trevi fountain, Colosseum and ancient areas like Roman Forum, several piazzas, and some interesting churches.

• Like 1

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Barrett?  It’s in close proximity to the Piazza Navona, The Pantheon and Trevi Fountain so thats a plus.  We are seniors and my only concern is that it doesn’t have elevators.  But I understand that many hotels don’t have elevators.  

if anyone has any other recommendations for a good hotel in that location, I would appreciate to hear from you.   But I would like to hear if anyone has stayed at Hotel Barrett.  

Thanks in advance.