Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

On 5/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Part of the joy of discovering Rome is doing it on foot, and having a hotel that's in the heart of the historic area makes it so much easier to get around -- you can pop back into the hotel for a quick rest after lunch, or change your shoes, or drop off those shopping bags.  It also tempts to you go out after dinner and enjoy the evening passeggiata, see the illuminated buildings, etc. 

Listen to what mom says 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

If you have any suggestions of a place, please let me know!

I’ll defer to cruisemom for her suggestions on near the Pantheon.   If you want a different area from the Residenzia, I wouldn’t stay near Navona as it’s basically so close to your first stay.  

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi -- did you see my secondary recommendations above?  (Post 95)?

I did!  But they're really high right now.  The Smeraldo is, and I'm not kidding, € 1100.16 for 2 nights right now in their cheapest room for 2 people.  A little rich for my blood!

58 minutes ago, JennJ99738 said:

I did!  But they're really high right now.  The Smeraldo is, and I'm not kidding, € 1100.16 for 2 nights right now in their cheapest room for 2 people.  A little rich for my blood!

😱😱😱😱😱😱    YIKES!!!!!   That's crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

😱😱😱😱😱😱    YIKES!!!!!   That's crazy. 

Yup.  I'll keep an eye on prices there.  I thought the Hotel Navona was a little close to where we're staying pre-cruise.  So, I'm still looking.  I thought of somewhere closer to the ancient city center, Colosseo or Cavour?  

I did just see the Hotel Centro Cavour on Via Cavour come up on Booking.com  Have you heard anything about it?  

Edited by JennJ99738
added new info

12 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

Wow, glad I jumped with a prayer that our trip would happen in late September.  I reserved at the Smeraldo for 2 nights in a balcony room for $416.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the Alberto del Senato for 2 nights following our Transatlantic arriving May 2nd next year. 2 nights b&b for £438. So thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations. I simply had no idea where to look. You’ve all been a great help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Just booked the Alberto del Senato for 2 nights following our Transatlantic arriving May 2nd next year. 2 nights b&b for £438. So thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations. I simply had no idea where to look. You’ve all been a great help. 

Don’t forget the evening passeggiata around the area, stopping for a glass at the bar that takes your fancy.  Romance can strike at any time

We are on Celebrity Reflection TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.  Staying in Rome October 19 to 22nd when the ship departs.  I've looked over the recommendations ( thank you)  should I book directly with the Hotel or use Expedia like service?  Thanks

38 minutes ago, nicksmom67 said:

We are on Celebrity Reflection TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.  Staying in Rome October 19 to 22nd when the ship departs.  I've looked over the recommendations ( thank you)  should I book directly with the Hotel or use Expedia like service?  Thanks

We're on the Reflection TA also.  I would check pricing on booking sites and hotel direct and go with the best one.  Be sure you book a fully cancellable rate, so necessary in these times.

Personally I would avoid Expedia, but that's a personal choice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nicksmom67 said:

Lew.  My husband and I are from Worcester, MA.  We are now living in Florida.  Looking forward to meeting you.

My DW, Nan, and I are looking forward to meeting you also.  Can't wait to sail again...

11 hours ago, nicksmom67 said:

In Italy, in general, I have found that booking through the hotel often yields the best rate -- but of course I would still shop around. Sometimes if you find a good rate online, you could email the hotel and ask if they could better it if you book direct with them.

The intangible point -- which I cannot prove -- is that sometimes when I've booked a really low rate through a middleman, I feel that I end up in the worst room in the category booked. (You know, the one at the back with a view of the dumpster? 😱)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The intangible point -- which I cannot prove -- is that sometimes when I've booked a really low rate through a middleman, I feel that I end up in the worst room in the category booked. (You know, the one at the back with a view of the dumpster? 😱)

Agreed, they’re known as “junk” rooms, where an intermediary, or Cruise Line, have a discount deal to promote/sell rooms that nobody would wish to book knowing their position.  
Example, a few years ago sailed with Cunard from Singapore, took their hotel offer per person.  On check-in we were offered and declined a standard (street view), but on checking, for a small amount more we could have had a Gold Harbour View Room if booked direct.  The Hotel confirmed the existence of a Cunard deal for standard rooms, not Gold, having no control over the Cunard pricing.  We paid the Gold upgrade.  Cunard’s response was basically a shoulder shrug.

Lesson learned.

Same “junk” with Celebrity in Sydney.

17 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Cruisemom42,

Thanks so much for the Albergo Del Senato recommendation.  It looks like a very nice hotel at the perfect location.  A pretty reasonable price too. We will be there for 3 nights in November. 

My pleasure -- hope you enjoy your stay. I've gotten my fair share of travel tips and inspiration from your posts through the years. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.  Would like some thoughts on staying at hotel Lancelot behind the colosseum.  This will be our second trip to Rome.  We stayed at piazza Navona area the first time and loved it, but do not want to repeat it as it won’t be the same given how fabulous it was the first time.  We want to really check out the colosseum area, forum, etc.   I have a reservation for a balcony room there for next May for six nights.  On our last day we will go to Ostia Anticia and spend the final night at the airport for an early morning flight.  We will also have group tours most days for the ancient sites.   I was also looking at Rome Times Hotel or the IQ hotel, but can not tell if it is a better area..   We are early morning walkers and want to be in a less crowded area where it will be fine to go for a walk at around 4 am and see the sights without crowds and also to have nice dinners near the hotel when done with our tours each evening.  Thoughts?  

1 hour ago, mina said:

Hi all.  Would like some thoughts on staying at hotel Lancelot behind the colosseum.  This will be our second trip to Rome.  We stayed at piazza Navona area the first time and loved it, but do not want to repeat it as it won’t be the same given how fabulous it was the first time.  We want to really check out the colosseum area, forum, etc.   I have a reservation for a balcony room there for next May for six nights.  On our last day we will go to Ostia Anticia and spend the final night at the airport for an early morning flight.  We will also have group tours most days for the ancient sites.   I was also looking at Rome Times Hotel or the IQ hotel, but can not tell if it is a better area..   We are early morning walkers and want to be in a less crowded area where it will be fine to go for a walk at around 4 am and see the sights without crowds and also to have nice dinners near the hotel when done with our tours each evening.  Thoughts?  

If you are interested in being near the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Capitoline museums, etc. (basically most of 'ancient' Rome), then the Lancelot is in a better location. Plenty of vistas around this area for early morning walks --- while you can't get into the Forum, for example, you can overlook it in many places. For my money, the best shots of the Forum and Colosseum (if you are into photos) are with the late afternoon sun...  best enjoyed from a rooftop bar nearby.  One nearby restaurant I can recommend is il Bocconcino -- ate there in Nov 2019 on recommendation of a friend and it was excellent.

The other two (fairly close to each other) are not in a bad area and probably have just as much choice for restaurants nearby. I'd avoid heading in the direction of Termini either for walks (not scenic) or restaurants (while there are a few good old trattoria, for the most part they are tourist-geared and not too inspiring....)

If you are near the ancient sites, I hope you also plan to check out the nearby Basilica of San Clemente as well as the Baths of Caracalla. And Domus Aurea (reservations required in advance).

If you stay in the other area, your walks will be much more around the typical 18th century buildings, wider streets, etc. for walking with some more narrow medieval and smaller streets behind the main boulevards.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you are interested in being near the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Capitoline museums, etc. (basically most of 'ancient' Rome), then the Lancelot is in a better location. Plenty of vistas around this area for early morning walks --- while you can't get into the Forum, for example, you can overlook it in many places. For my money, the best shots of the Forum and Colosseum (if you are into photos) are with the late afternoon sun...  best enjoyed from a rooftop bar nearby.  One nearby restaurant I can recommend is il Bocconcino -- ate there in Nov 2019 on recommendation of a friend and it was excellent.

The other two (fairly close to each other) are not in a bad area and probably have just as much choice for restaurants nearby. I'd avoid heading in the direction of Termini either for walks (not scenic) or restaurants (while there are a few good old trattoria, for the most part they are tourist-geared and not too inspiring....)

If you are near the ancient sites, I hope you also plan to check out the nearby Basilica of San Clemente as well as the Baths of Caracalla. And Domus Aurea (reservations required in advance).

If you stay in the other area, your walks will be much more around the typical 18th century buildings, wider streets, etc. for walking with some more narrow medieval and smaller streets behind the main boulevards.

Thank you Cruisemom!  I think we will stick with the Lancelot and will use your restaurant suggestion!   We did the San Clemente Basilica last trip and it was AMAZING.  I really want to do Domus Aurea.   It looks like those tickets only open up a few months in advance - so will watch it on the Coop.it site or whatever it is called!  We plan to do a tour to Via Appia that includes the Baths and the Aqueduct park that is a bit away from where we are -- but we may just do those on our own as well -- there seems to be a Big Bus that does a route out that way if you buy the three day pass.   Also we are going to be there the first sunday of the month which I believe is the free pass day -- so we plan on going out of the area on that day as we will not be able to get any behind the scenes tours that day.  Thinking about heading out to Tivoli on Sunday.  

On 4/27/2021 at 12:25 PM, cruisemom42 said:

You could try Hotel Smeraldo, a really well located and pleasant 3-star hotel. They do not have many rooms and book up fast due to their reasonable rates. If you are just two people, it might fit your budget. Rooms are not large (but that's true across Rome in general), but are pleasant and the whole place was just renovated right before COVID. Continental breakfast is included. Some rooms are in the main building and some in the nearby annexe, so be sure you know what you're being offered.

@cruisemom42  You are a treasure.  I've just read through this thread and have a question.  I was at Smeraldo in Nov 2017 . I really enjoyed the location and the breakfast.  Room was fairly basic but just fine.  You mention it has been renovated but the room pictures look just as I remember them. Iwas going to book there again until you mentioned Ponte Sisto

Hotel Ponte Sisto pictures look lovely.  The prices are pretty close to Smeraldo prices.  If you were choosing between the those 2 hotels, which would you choose?

Edited by cruisingxpert

41 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

@cruisemom42  You are a treasure.  I've just read through this thread and have a question.  I was at Smeraldo in Nov 2017 . I really enjoyed the location and the breakfast.  Room was fairly basic but just fine.  You mention it has been renovated but the room pictures look just as I remember them. Iwas going to book there again until you mentioned Ponte Sisto

Hotel Ponte Sisto pictures look lovely.  The prices are pretty close to Smeraldo prices.  If you were choosing between the those 2 hotels, which would you choose?

Well, this is going to be one of those "on the one hand....but on the other hand" choices.

While I like the setting of Hotel Ponte Sisto and the immediate vicinity is perhaps more picturesque, I prefer the location of Smeraldo in terms of overall access to all parts of the city.  If you think you'll be spending more time around the Campo dei Fiori, Ghetto and Trastevere however, Ponte Sisto is a great choice.

Ponte Sisto is a larger operation, perhaps a bit less personal. Their rooftop deck is a real selling point but has been closed due to COVID -- if you are going soon I'd check to see if it will be open (also closed from around mid-October for the winter....)

I have to say I am a little surprised at some of the recent rates I've seen for Hotel Smeraldo. It seems they have caught on to what a great deal they have been in the past!

Since I like to try a variety of hotels and locations, if the choice were mine I'd probably give Ponte Sisto a try. I haven't gotten to know about so many hotels in Rome just be staying in one place, lol.

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have to say I am a little surprised at some of the recent rates I've seen for Hotel Smeraldo. It seems they have caught on to what a great deal they have been in the past!

Now I'm torn.  I really liked the location of Smeraldo across from the amazing Roscioli deli.  We are going in May 2022 and I got that single room with balcony on 4th floor for 402 Euro for 3 nights as opposed to the fantastic 228 euro for same room( 3 nights) in Nov 2017. When I tried to book a second single for my friend I got 460 for a small double used a single-still good.  The rooms are small so I think we would be better with our own rooms.  I did notice afterwards that the hotel has no air conditioning but hopefully May is not super hot.  

Ponte Sisto rooftop does make the Smeraldo rooftop look pretty plain.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, this is going to be one of those "on the one hand....but on the other hand" choices.

Now my friend is saying she stayed at Grand Hotel Palatino and thinks we should stay there.  Is that area as nice as area where Smeraldo is?  Sorry to be a pest.

8 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Now my friend is saying she stayed at Grand Hotel Palatino and thinks we should stay there.  Is that area as nice as area where Smeraldo is?  Sorry to be a pest.

With the caveat that I am not familiar with the hotel, I would say the area is not as nice. Right on busy via Cavour with lots of traffic (could be noisy). While the area is handy if you primarily want to spend time seeing the ancient sites, there are (IMO) better choices in that area that are more tucked away.

Even though I don't really trust Tripadvisor reviews in the individual, I also note that in the aggregate the reviews seem lower (and overall ranking is a bit lower) than either of the other two hotels.

• Thanks 1