Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

If anyone here has experienced Rome In Limo tours....Rome By Night tour or the Intro to Rome tour....which would you recommend?  Both have positives and negatives.  Intro to Rome includes pickup at airport, 4 hr tour, then to hotel....may be tired after red eye flight and won't appreciate the tour as we should.  Rome by night...after an afternoon rest...sounds intriguing but a quick overview of Rome...3 hr tour and back to the hotel.    Any thoughts on the Hotel Santa Chiara?  Thanks to anyone replying....only had one quick trip to Rome a few years ago which included Vatican visit.  Passed by the other sites.

We did a short tour with our transfer company (one of a few that is mentioned frequently) when picked up from the airport and taken to our hotel. Honestly, it was a waste of time and money as we were all pooped out. However, we really enjoyed our booked tours the next two days.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If anyone here has experienced Rome In Limo tours....Rome By Night tour or the Intro to Rome tour....which would you recommend?  Both have positives and negatives.  Intro to Rome includes pickup at airport, 4 hr tour, then to hotel....may be tired after red eye flight and won't appreciate the tour as we should.  Rome by night...after an afternoon rest...sounds intriguing but a quick overview of Rome...3 hr tour and back to the hotel.    Any thoughts on the Hotel Santa Chiara?  Thanks to anyone replying....only had one quick trip to Rome a few years ago which included Vatican visit.  Passed by the other sites.

I can't comment much on the tours, other than that I agree a 4-hour tour on arrival may be wasted if you are tired...   

Rick Steves offers a DIY walking tour that is more or less an introduction to the Centro Storico and is best taken late afternoon to early evening. Easy to do on your own if staying in the area and allows for opportunities to stop at your leisure and enjoy a glass of wine or apperitif while you enjoy your surroundings.

As to hotels, I would happily recommend Albergo Santa Chiara; have stayed there and liked it very much. Slightly larger hotel than Albergo del Senato and without the rooftop terrace or views but same excellent location (tucked behind the Pantheon) and when I was there the included breakfast was quite good. I believe the rooms have all been re-decorated within the last couple of years but like Albergo del Senato it is a traditional hotel -- don't go in expecting minimalist decor!

• Thanks 1

I would not do the tour on arrival day. To adjust to the time changes and get over jet lag, you need to be moving around. Walking, seeing sights is far better than sitting in the car. Much of Rome is pretty easy to see by walking if mobility isn't a problem.

Rather, do a full day tour with Rome in Limo on day 2, or the day you get off the ship. We have used Rome in Limo many times...they are fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would not do the tour on arrival day. To adjust to the time changes and get over jet lag, you need to be moving around. Walking, seeing sights is far better than sitting in the car. Much of Rome is pretty easy to see by walking if mobility isn't a problem.

Rather, do a full day tour with Rome in Limo on day 2, or the day you get off the ship. We have used Rome in Limo many times...they are fantastic.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.  We will do half day tour the day after arrival in the AM, and then on to the port in the PM;  cruise leaves the day after.  Unfortunately DH cannot walk very far so a private car is necessary...back issues can be a pain...bad pun I know.  We toured the Gothic area in Barcelona a few years ago and he couldn't find enough fire plugs or store window sills to stop and rest.  Don't want to repeat that experience.  Happy to hear Hotel Santa Chiara is a good choice;  they told me we have a room with a balcony and a view over Minerva Square...hope that is the case.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Don't want to repeat that experience.  Happy to hear Hotel Santa Chiara is a good choice;  they told me we have a room with a balcony and a view over Minerva Square...hope that is the case.

That would be lovely for you. You'll get to look out and see the "elefantino" (little elephant) sculpture with the obelisk in the Piazza Minerva. 

They were doing extensive work on the church opening off that piazza, Santa Maria sopra Minerva, last time I was in Rome in December 2019. If it is open, you should definitely plan to visit, it has a gorgeous gothic interior and a rare Michelangelo sculpture.

About your plans -- there is no real need to move to a hotel in Civitavecchia. Save yourselves the hassle of checking into and out of two different hotels and stay in Rome. Rome in Limo (or whoever you ultimately use) can quickly and easily transfer you from your hotel in Rome to the closest possible drop-off for check-in on your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As to hotels, I would happily recommend Albergo Santa Chiara; have stayed there and liked it very much. Slightly larger hotel than Albergo del Senato and without the rooftop terrace or views but same excellent location (tucked behind the Pantheon) and when I was there the included breakfast was quite good. I believe the rooms have all been re-decorated within the last couple of years but like Albergo del Senato it is a traditional hotel -- don't go in expecting minimalist decor!

Thank heaven! I abhor the "new" and trendy minimalist decor. We had Albergo del Senato booked for this September, but oh well. Maybe next year...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Unfortunately DH cannot walk very far so a private car is necessary...back issues can be a pain...bad pun I know.  We toured the Gothic area in Barcelona a few years ago and he couldn't find enough fire plugs or store window sills to stop and rest.  Don't want to repeat that experience

If walking distances are an issue I would recommend mybesttour.com

I did this a few years and loved it.  It's a tour by golf cart.  They can take you right up to  a fountain ,a church door or anything you want to see.  I'm going back in May and will book again.  I wish they had golf cart tours in more places

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

If walking distances are an issue I would recommend mybesttour.com

I did this a few years and loved it.  It's a tour by golf cart.  They can take you right up to  a fountain ,a church door or anything you want to see.  I'm going back in May and will book again.  I wish they had golf cart tours in more places

Thank you for your suggestion...I'll look into it.   Limo in Rome also have golf cart excursions and we considered it, but are for more than 2 people and timing doesn't work for us.

1 hour ago, westiedogmom said:

We booked a cruise for June 2022.  Looking to stay a few nights precruise within walking distance to sites such as Trevi Fountain.  Any thoughts on Hotel Hiberia Roma?  It will be me, dh and my two teenage boys.  

I don't know the hotel you mention personally, but several of the ones discussed above near the Pantheon are as close or closer to Trevi than the Hotel Hiberia (just looked at Google maps). And possibly a more pleasant walk as the area around the Hiberia is quite hilly, and a bit dark at night.

That said, the location is good and very central for sightseeing either around the Forum/Colosseum areas or more toward the Pantheon and Trevi.

I also see it is priced very reasonably. Some reviews mention the tired decor and hard beds. 

On 7/26/2020 at 4:05 PM, Minniepnp said:

Still trying to hopeful and optimistic about European cruise next summer.  I always say that planning is the best part of the journey and if we can’t go next year my plans will be done for 2022.  Only way to look at it!
With that said, we will be spending a few days in Rome pre cruise.  Thinking of using Rome in Limo for tours based on recommendations but hotels really baffle me.  Looked at Sina Bernini and Hotel Santa Maria (based on trip advisor reviews) but first timers to Rome and trying to research hotels.  Any recommendations?  Thanks

When is your cruise? My wife and I are going in Oct of 22 and we're also looking at hotels and tours. Did the Vatican and Coliseum last time we were there on the Vista.

Wow, this whole thread has been a wealth of information!  Based on recommendations here, I've booked Albergo del Senato for a 3-night pre-cruise stay July, 2022.  

Will also need aiport transfers and cruise transfers to and from the cruise port.  From what I've gathered from this thread, I've seen Rome in Limo mentioned, and Rome Cars for tours and transfers.

Either of these better than the other?

Special thanks to "cruisemom42" !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Niquein99 said:

Wow, this whole thread has been a wealth of information!  Based on recommendations here, I've booked Albergo del Senato for a 3-night pre-cruise stay July, 2022.  

Will also need aiport transfers and cruise transfers to and from the cruise port.  From what I've gathered from this thread, I've seen Rome in Limo mentioned, and Rome Cars for tours and transfers.

Either of these better than the other?

Special thanks to "cruisemom42" !

If it's just 2 of you, taxis from the airport to your hotel are flat rate of 48 euros.  I'll be travelling with a party of 4, so we are using Rome In Limo for both airport-Rome and Rome to Civi.  I have used them before and have always been more than satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Niquein99 said:

From what I've gathered from this thread, I've seen Rome in Limo mentioned, and Rome Cars for tours and transfers

I've used Rome Cabs twice and was very pleased.  A friend who used Rome Cabs in the past left her wallet in the car when they got to their hotel.  Their driver found it and returned it to their hotel after he was finished work.  She can't say enough about Rome Cabs

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, RocCruisers said:

We plan on being in Rome after a TA in May 2022.  I think we need a week for all the things we may want to do, including a football game.  Our budget for a hotel is around $1000, and we too think an elevator is necessary if we are in the de'Fiori or Navona district.  For a first ol' timer, I don't think we want a VRBO.  Any suggestions?

PS - GREAT DISCUSSIONS without any negative comments!    

Hey Roc! I have been monitoring the sites for SS Lazio and AS Roma but schedules for next season have not been posted yet. They may be waiting for the conclusion of the Euro Cup before doing so. We are really hoping that one of the teams has a midweek game for the week we will be there (we are staying 6 nights, the Monday through Sunday after the cruise). Once the schedules are posted, I'll drop a message in our Roll Call.

A lot of great information here! We are planning on staying 6 nights in Rome following out TA in May, 2022. My girlfriend had been looking at hotels and commented how a lot of them, their prices jump up significantly after the first of the year. Therefore, we are not sure if the prices now are just artificially low because a lot of travel has not been opened up yet? Or are the prices for next year artificially high because it's still a ways out?

We had originally looked to spend around $200-250/nt but were finding for that amount the hotels lack a great number of amenities. As this is the first time staying in Rome for the both of us (I visited Rome for a single day in 2003 while on a Med cruise), we do want a memorable experience. I looked into all the hotels that @cruisemom42 recommended and the Albergo del Senato seemed to be our #1 choice. After looking at the prices, none of the rooms really appear to be all that inexpensive and after seeing the views from the Penthouse suites, we are strongly considering booking one of those (since our last TA got cancelled, all that money we put into it went back into the vacation fund so we don't mind splurging on such a room). It's not cheap as the room is going for $610-640/nt over those 6 nights with a refundable rate. My question to you Cruisemom is, on your extended stays at this hotel (I believe you said you stayed one time for 10 nights?), did you ever contact the hotel prior to negotiate a lower rate due to the length of your stay? I ask because I have been able to do this at chains here in the states when I have stayed some place for a week or more but I am not sure how receptive or commonplace that may be for a Roman hotel?

I also see it discussed that there are many sites in walkable distance from this hotel, but at what point would one suggest taking a cab (does Uber operate in Rome?) instead of walking? While we will be in Rome for 6 nights, two of the days we are there we plan to take day trips to Florence and Naples via the express trains. We would shoot to take the earliest train, which is usually in the 5AM hour. The Roma Termini looks to be about 2.5km from the hotel. How common are taxis this early in the morning? I am assuming the walk would be safe this early, wouldn't it? Same questions when returning as we most likely wouldn't be returning until after 11PM. Walk back to hotel from Roma Termini at that hour still be a safe walk? How about the availability of taxis? 

I plan to reach out to the hotel directly with some more specific questions regarding the Penthouse suites (it appears they have 2 Penthouse suites but one may have a larger terrace than the other?). If both suites have showers (their sites says they may have a shower or tub). If it is possible to get a guarantee on which suite you'll get when booking. Etc.

Thank you for any information provided! 

24 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

My question to you Cruisemom is, on your extended stays at this hotel (I believe you said you stayed one time for 10 nights?), did you ever contact the hotel prior to negotiate a lower rate due to the length of your stay? I ask because I have been able to do this at chains here in the states when I have stayed some place for a week or more but I am not sure how receptive or commonplace that may be for a Roman hotel?

I also see it discussed that there are many sites in walkable distance from this hotel, but at what point would one suggest taking a cab (does Uber operate in Rome?) instead of walking?

What I would suggest is that you reach out to the hotel directly via email and ask them for their best rate for the room that you want for 6 days. I find in general it is better to be polite and a bit less direct than one might be when dealing with US hotels. Keep in mind it is not a large operation. How much leeway you might be offered may depend on when you are staying. There is a definitely seasonality to prices in Rome.

As to walking versus cabs:  it's safe to walk but I'd probably take a cab to Termini. There is a taxi stand right next to the Pantheon, but you can also ask the hotel to arrange a taxi pick-up at such an early hour (there may not be any at the rank at that time of day).  There is a "off hours" taxi rate so be aware of that as well.  At Termini there is also a huge taxi rank that would have at least a few taxis available as long as trains are arriving.

I don't think uber in Italy is any less expensive than a taxi. At least that's the way it was prior to the pandemic. Taxi rates from the Albergo del Senato to Termini and vice versa will vary a bit due to traffic routes along many one-way streets in the old centro storico but should be in the range of 12-16 euro (a bit more if, as mentioned, it is off hours).

Happy to answer more questions if you have them. 

• Like 1

We were not that far from Alberto Del Senato and we walked everywhere! The only time we did not walk, was when we took an early morning taxi to the Vatican for our "before opening hours" tour. But then we walked back to our hotel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

My girlfriend had been looking at hotels and commented how a lot of them, their prices jump up significantly after the first of the year.

Room rates at Albergo del Senato for a Superior Double in October 2022 vs October 2021 show an increase of 25%.  I don't know for sure, but 2021 rates may be discounted a bit to fill the hotel post-COVID.

What is truly amazing are October 2022 rates at Albergo Cesari where we have stayed on a number of occasions and were looking forward to booking there again.  At 63% more than Albergo del Senato it's way overpriced.

Albergo Cesari recently reopened after what they say was an extensive renovation; however, the rooftop is the only area where I can see an upgrade.  Their rooftop is an excellent location for breakfast and evening drinks.  Photos of the accommodations do not show much has changed...they don't show photos of the bathrooms which were sorely in need of refurbishing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What I would suggest is that you reach out to the hotel directly via email and ask them for their best rate for the room that you want for 6 days. I find in general it is better to be polite and a bit less direct than one might be when dealing with US hotels. Keep in mind it is not a large operation. How much leeway you might be offered may depend on when you are staying. There is a definitely seasonality to prices in Rome.

I was under the impression that August was peak season in Europe since so many people take vacation then. But after looking at prices, it seems like May and Late September/Early October seem to be most expensive. The price I see the Penthouse Suite is still in the $600 range for nights in September/October of this year and next. Do spring and fall tend to be when hotels are the priciest in Rome?

We definitely intend to reach out to the hotel via email if we can find their email address 🙂 They don't appear to have one on their website that I can see. We will more than likely need to check their social media accounts to see if those are worthwhile or as a last result simply call them to try to get questions answered. If you have any leads in this area they would be greatly appreciated.

23 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

We definitely intend to reach out to the hotel via email if we can find their email address

Contact info for Albergo del Senato:

+39 06 6784343 
FAX: +39 06 69940297 
info@albergodelsenato.it

Edited by -Lew-

7 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Contact info for Albergo del Senato:

+39 06 6784343 
FAX: +39 06 69940297 
info@albergodelsenato.it

Thank you very much. I had actually come back to tell cruisemom that my girlfriend had just found the email address. She has sent something off to them with a handful of questions. She also found a discount code on their FB page that ended up saving $180 over the 6 nights. Since the reservation is fully refundable (if you don't book the Relax Rate), I decided to book the room now. If they can offer any more of a discount, great. Otherwise, at least we know we have a nice hotel booked for our trip so we can put that behind us 🙂

Also found on their FB page that they offer pickup service from the airport and cruise terminal. They don't list pricing for that on their post but it is one of the questions my girlfriend has posed to them. Otherwise I did look into Rome In Limo yesterday and they also offer the port to Rome transfer for about 170 Euro.

4 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

I did look into Rome In Limo yesterday and they also offer the port to Rome transfer for about 170 Euro.

RomeCabs quotes €130 for the same level of service...

image.png.fce3e4a206f2ade00dc86917555e359b.png

• Haha 1