Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

6 hours ago, floridababa said:

We have 2 nights booked at the Crowne  Plaza

Hope it's a good location and hotel

If you want to be close to the historic center of Rome, it's not a great choice, honestly. It's quite far out, certainly not walkable for either the Vatican OR the main sites like the Colosseum/Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc.

Would you consider a different location?  Or do you have a specific reason for being at this hotel?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, floridababa said:

My husband does not like small hotels nor B&B 

So I try to find larger hotels.

Well the hotel itself should be nice, but since you did ask about location, there are other possibilities closer to the sightseeing if you are interested. What size hotel do you generally look for?

On 12/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, floridababa said:

My husband does not like small hotels nor B&B 

So I try to find larger hotels.

As cruisemom42 stated, you will be very far out. Our hotel was not

really small, not huge for sure. We LOVED being able to walk anywhere

when we chose to do so. However, we did take a cab to the Vatican because

we needed to be there for our "early entry" tour and it was dark outside.

But we did walk back to the hotel.

• Like 2

I think you get a much better feel for Rome if you stay in a more centrally located hotel.  The crown plaza is a long way out from the centre.  If you stay near the historic centre,  it is lovely to walk around in the evenings looking at the lights and buildings.  Not to mention the wonderful local food compared to standard hotel fare.  

On 12/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, bennybear said:

I think you get a much better feel for Rome if you stay in a more centrally located hotel.  The crown plaza is a long way out from the centre.  If you stay near the historic centre,  it is lovely to walk around in the evenings looking at the lights and buildings.  Not to mention the wonderful local food compared to standard hotel fare.  

So very true! The food is so fantastic. We did a "Twilight" Food Tour

and were able to sample in so many food establishments. We finished

with gelato. The starting point was a short walk from our hotel.

• Like 1

We have a MSC cruise in November 2021. We have chosen Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel for the first time. We know it is not in a central area but having been in Rome before we are not to worried about seeing the sites. As it is just for 1 night we just wanted somewhere to relax and it would seem to fit the bill.

There are so many boutique hotels in Rome I will be honest that in booking yesterday with our TA we were looking only at the large chain hotels (Hilton, Radisson, NH, IHG) so that if there are closure issues we should be able to move hotels easily.

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

Any ideas for a hotel in the Monti neighborhood?  Would like to stay under $200/night, we're looking at next September.

It's right on the edge of the Monti neighborhood, just across from the Forum, but I can highly recommend Hotel Nerva -- a family owned hotel that has been recently renovated. I stayed there for 8 days a few years ago (on my own) and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfasts good, and the rooms (pre-renovation) were nice enough. From photos they have been tastefully updated. It's also very close to two metro stops.

If you are interested in the ancient Rome sites, the location is hard to beat.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:41 AM, clydecruiser said:

We have a MSC cruise in November 2021. We have chosen Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel for the first time. We know it is not in a central area but having been in Rome before we are not to worried about seeing the sites. As it is just for 1 night we just wanted somewhere to relax and it would seem to fit the bill.

There are so many boutique hotels in Rome I will be honest that in booking yesterday with our TA we were looking only at the large chain hotels (Hilton, Radisson, NH, IHG) so that if there are closure issues we should be able to move hotels easily.

The Cavalleri is an extremely nice hotel. Make sure you get a Rome view room, Imperial Level if you can. The buffet breakfast is amazing...not cheap, tho.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:41 AM, clydecruiser said:

I had a meeting with someone last month who'd visited prior to the lockdown and stayed on here Cavalleri, Imperial Level, booked through American Express travel. He was disappointed because he felt it didn't meet Waldorf Astoria standards, found things to be a bit less clean than he'd thought it should be and a bit outdated. They were disappointed insofar as expectations went, although I don't believe it was intolerable. 

I was trying to determine if maybe the style was perhaps just not to their liking, (to some people outdated might not necessarily account for a precise design style) although it wouldn't account for cleanliness, though I cannot attest to a barometer for those standards. 

Another thing they didn't like was the long walk back (they really weren't that savvy) back from Trevi one night, but anyway....

I suggested (to this person) he use Virtuoso when next traveling (he's not a DIYer) but you are here and so you've got all of the fine recommendations from everyone here. 😉

For me, I want to be in Centro Storico (or a few minutes from it on foot) or adjacent, and so whatever that means...even if it costs me a star, to get the location, sign me up. 

Happy New Year everyone! Buon Anno á tutti!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Cavalleri is an extremely nice hotel. Make sure you get a Rome view room, Imperial Level if you can. The buffet breakfast is amazing...not cheap, tho.

Unfortunately just a standard room. Hopefully we will get Rome side. But breakfast is included 🙂

11 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I had a meeting with someone last month who'd visited prior to the lockdown and stayed on here Cavalleri, Imperial Level, booked through American Express travel. He was disappointed because he felt it didn't meet Waldorf Astoria standards, found things to be a bit less clean than he'd thought it should be and a bit outdated. They were disappointed insofar as expectations went, although I don't believe it was intolerable. 

I was trying to determine if maybe the style was perhaps just not to their liking, (to some people outdated might not necessarily account for a precise design style) although it wouldn't account for cleanliness, though I cannot attest to a barometer for those standards. 

Another thing they didn't like was the long walk back (they really weren't that savvy) back from Trevi one night, but anyway....

I suggested (to this person) he use Virtuoso when next traveling (he's not a DIYer) but you are here and so you've got all of the fine recommendations from everyone here. 😉

For me, I want to be in Centro Storico (or a few minutes from it on foot) or adjacent, and so whatever that means...even if it costs me a star, to get the location, sign me up. 

Happy New Year everyone! Buon Anno á tutti!

We looked at a lot of places. I agree the style is possibly “Chintz” my wife was determined to stay here so......

She promises we will use the hotel rather than go into Rome and therefore will save the money she would spend in Rome shops 🙂 And yes I have seen YouTube videos with what looks like shops in the hotel or at least cabinets with items for sale.

13 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Also it may be worth explaining, at least for US travelers, that the star system in Italy is not necessarily solely an indication of hotel quality. Instead it is based on the number and type of amenities offered. So you could end up booking a 4-star hotel with in-house restaurant and meeting facilities (which may not mean much to a leisure traveler) that is very tired and not 'posh', or you can book a 3-star property that is smaller, more recently updated and with great service in the center but is lacking meeting/dining facilities. 

The best thing to do, always (IMO), is to read as many reviews on different sites as you can, as well as looking at a map for the precise location -- hotels can be remarkably creative in their own description of their location -- and looking at guest photos. Of course, one has to exclude those with a clear grudge and/or those who lack understanding that a city hotel in Europe is not going to have rooms that are as spacious as an airport hotel in Atlanta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, firstimer2009 said:

We were in Rome last year after a Venice cruise and stayed at Albergo del Senato for 5 days.  I can't say enough good things, including the rooftop bar only for guests.  And if the weather doesn't cooperate they open a small bar downstairs just for guests.  People speak perfect English too.  There is a restaurant to the very right of the hotel, Hostaria Pantheon, that has outside seating looking over the Pantheon.  Great food and friendly staff.  We had many afternoon cocktail hours there then did our final night in Rome dinner.

Loved the area so much we are planning a Rome to Rome May 2022 cruise and staying right around the corner at an AirBnB.  If we were going to stay at another hotel though, I'd pick the Senato.

Sounds like this is  a great place...several good reviews here...may I ask how close this is to the ports...we will be arriving on RCL and have 2 days in Rome prior to boarding with NCL...I still havent looked to see which terminal each cruise line uses. Will most cab drivers know this hotel? Thank you...oh...do you recall if they have elevators?

46 minutes ago, Littleribbie said:

Sounds like this is  a great place...several good reviews here...may I ask how close this is to the ports...we will be arriving on RCL and have 2 days in Rome prior to boarding with NCL...I still havent looked to see which terminal each cruise line uses. Will most cab drivers know this hotel? Thank you...oh...do you recall if they have elevators?

The Port of Rome is located in Civitavecchia...about 1¼ hours from Albergo del Senato depending on traffic.  My suggestion would be to hire a car service such as RomeCabs...there are other good ones...for transfer to and from Rome.  Your driver will know where your ship is docked.

Yes, Albergo del Senato does have elevators.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, -Lew- said:

The Port of Rome is located in Civitavecchia...about 1¼ hours from Albergo del Senato depending on traffic.  My suggestion would be to hire a car service such as RomeCabs...there are other good ones...for transfer to and from Rome.  Your driver will know where your ship is docked.

Yes, Albergo del Senato does have elevators.

Thanks Len!! My husband is from Keene NH...big Patriot fan as well!! Have a brother in Stowe Vt....we prefer the Florida heat!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank all  in this thread for the great info on Rome hotels, especially cruisemom42! I’ve booked the Albergo del Senato for 3 nights pre-cruise in June 2022! Dates aren’t available online yet, but if you call or email, you can book. I am SO excited!!!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 6:41 AM, clydecruiser said:

they do have a complimentary shuttle that takes you into the city and return - not sure the current schedule.  We are staying 5 nights post cruise in may if it goes or may just stay on land if it doesn't, all depends on if Italy opens.  They do have a very fine restaurant on site in Le Pergola but book well in advance .

On 9/12/2020 at 6:28 PM, frenchhorn said:

We recommend the Hotel Damaso.  It's across from the Piazza Navona, a short walk from the Pantheon, very close to the Campo Di Fiori.  It is also close to two bus routes and a taxi stand.  The room was lovely, the area was quiet at night, and the breakfast was excellent.  It also has adjacent easy short term parking, if you are being picked up or dropped off by car.  We loved it and would stay there again, if we went back to Rome.

I am being hopeful and thought we would book the Hotel Damaso again, in spite

of the lack of power/ mirror combos. They only offer a booking with FULL PAYMENT

upon booking. You can cancel close to the reserved stay, but only AFTER full payment

up front. This is not really acceptable to me, DH, DS or DBIL.

So, I booked Albergo del Senato for September 2021. I hope we get to go!

On 12/26/2020 at 11:14 AM, floridababa said:

We have 2 nights booked at the Crowne  Plaza

Hope it's a good location and hotel

What do you consider a "good" location?

If this is your first time to Rome, please know that this is not a

central starting point to easy walking and sightseeing in Rome.

There is bus service which can take you tho the city center and takes about

20-25 minutes each way.

Many prefer to be "right in" Rome and walk everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

We have just booked an apartment in the Campo de’ Fiori area through Trip Advisor/Flipkey for $497 for three nights. One bedroom, one bath with a balcony (and an elevator).

That is a great area!