Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

3 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

RomeCabs quotes €130 for the same level of service...

image.png.fce3e4a206f2ade00dc86917555e359b.png

Thank you for the tip. I know Rome Cabs has been recommended in here as well. If their service is on par with Rome in Limo then I'll also look into them as well. I would assume the amount would be the same in the opposite direction? We are staying in Rome post cruise so we would need to be picked up from the port. I'll definitely keep both in mind when arranging the pickup. From what I read here, the trip to the airport is a standard rate via taxi (like 48 euros?) so I don't believe we'll have any issue with that leg of the trip 🙂

2 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

I was under the impression that August was peak season in Europe since so many people take vacation then. But after looking at prices, it seems like May and Late September/Early October seem to be most expensive. The price I see the Penthouse Suite is still in the $600 range for nights in September/October of this year and next. Do spring and fall tend to be when hotels are the priciest in Rome?

Glad you got the email address sorted.

May through June and September through mid-October tend to be some of the busiest times. August tends low because everyone (in Europe) wants to go to the beach then. It's a national obsession and if you are in Rome in August you'll find it quiet and many non-chain restaurants/shops that cater to locals are closed.

More info:  Ferragosto - Or Why Italy Closes in August (summerinitaly.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Glad you got the email address sorted.

May through June and September through mid-October tend to be some of the busiest times. August tends low because everyone (in Europe) wants to go to the beach then. It's a national obsession and if you are in Rome in August you'll find it quiet and many non-chain restaurants/shops that cater to locals are closed.

More info:  Ferragosto - Or Why Italy Closes in August (summerinitaly.com)

Thank you very much for sharing that. I was completely unaware of that. The last time I was in Italy was August 2003 when I was on a Med cruise and the lines in Florence were terrible. I just assumed it was the busiest season for Italy but appears I was incorrect. Good to know though so we make sure we try to buy tickets in advance for some museums, especially in Florence. We're really looking forward to this trip!

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I wonder if the difference re Rome in Limo price....the service provided is a limousine?

Rome in Limo uses Mercedes cars and Sprinters.  Rome Cabs uses Mercedes as well as Opel.

Limo is just a  title in their company name.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Rome in Limo uses Mercedes cars and Sprinters.  Rome Cabs uses Mercedes as well as Opel.

Limo is just a  title in their company name.

Thanks, I realize the title is just a descriptive.  We've arranged our Rome travel with them but we're still open to options.  I still wonder why one would be that much cheaper than the other.  Rome Cabs has an established market so there wouldn't be a competitive reason I wouldn't think.

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks, I realize the title is just a descriptive.  We've arranged our Rome travel with them but we're still open to options.  I still wonder why one would be that much cheaper than the other.  Rome Cabs has an established market so there wouldn't be a competitive reason I wouldn't think.

Agree that it's just descriptive.  Rome Cabs says "the original limousine car service" under its' name.  

I'm sure both are good but Rome Cabs is the one I will continue to use.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Rome in Limo markets heavily to US customers. They have a huge following here and elsewhere for their tours. In particular they seem to provide drivers with great communications skills -- important perhaps for a full-day tour but I would say less so for a point-to-point transfer. 

To each his own. I generally use a cheaper, shared transfer service and have no complaints. 😉

33 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Agree that it's just descriptive.  Rome Cabs says "the original limousine car service" under its' name.  

I'm sure both are good but Rome Cabs is the one I will continue to use.

Just sent you a personal email to the address provided with a few questions.  Hope that's ok with you.

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rome in Limo markets heavily to US customers. They have a huge following here and elsewhere for their tours. In particular they seem to provide drivers with great communications skills -- important perhaps for a full-day tour but I would say less so for a point-to-point transfer. 

To each his own. I generally use a cheaper, shared transfer service and have no complaints. 😉

Thanks for ALL your very helpful communications.....trying to sort through choices when one has NO knowledge of Rome and possible pitfalls it's great you have so detailed info to share.  We appreciate knowing that R in Limo has English speaking drivers to help us through.  Thanks also for your advice re hotels (we settled on Santa Chiara).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks for ALL your very helpful communications.....trying to sort through choices when one has NO knowledge of Rome and possible pitfalls it's great you have so detailed info to share.  We appreciate knowing that R in Limo has English speaking drivers to help us through.  Thanks also for your advice re hotels (we settled on Santa Chiara).

Albergo Santa Chiara will give you a great stay.

Don’t forget to take an evening Passeggiata - Will give you a wonderful memory of Rome

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I could write a whole post about various gelateria

No one is stopping you 😁🍦

If it helps, knowing you as we do, add in historical references to dolce, to validate the culinary significance of this wonderful part of the meal, or, in some cases, those of us who choose to make it the first part of a meal, or a meal in itself. 

I saw gelato mentioned in a topic somewhere lately with the passegiatta, and that is definitely a cultural practice so bring on the gelato topic (and does it have to be limited to Rome? My best yet was in the Emilia-Romagna but I've been sampling all over the 🇮🇹 boot.)

Also, andiamo Azzurri 🔷, it's UEFA finals day!

• Like 3

We enjoyed some fantastic gelato on our Food Tour. Our guide explained to us that not all gelato is created equally. He said to be aware if the gelato looks "pretty and fluffy", that it may not be the best quality, etc. This was 3 years ago, so I am not sure if I am quoting him correctly.

Maybe cruisemom42 can elaborate?

I think we all would be appreciative. (like for our next trip in 2022)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't get me started -- I could write a whole post about various gelateria around Rome...🍨

Oh please do!  

My best suggestion is to avoid the obviously coloured ones, for example a true Pistachio should be kind of olive green not mint green.  I find it best to try the same flavour multiple places in the interest of research!  My favourite is Pesca!   We have found great gelato in small places, as well as in ones that surprised us to be good.  

Edited by bennybear

4 hours ago, sarch99 said:

And have Tartuffo from the takeout stand at Tre Scalini at Piazza Navona.   

I love this one too, but we also were fortunate to visit the small town of Pizzo in Calabria in the Deep South of Italy where it originated, and oh wow! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, cruisin4kicks said:

We've stayed at the Albergo del Senato twice. The phrase location, location, location truly applies at that hotel. It is literally right across the street from the Pantheon. This is a place that you can walk just almost anywhere from... Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, lots of other places... not sure about the Vatican; we ended up taking a cab there.

We've booked a cruise for next August out of Civitavecchia on the Odyssey with our daughter & her family. It's been about 7 or 8 years since we've been there and we plan on booking there again for a few days pre-cruise.

Tim

Is it also close to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona?  Also, I’ve always been under the opinion to book hotels directly. Is that what most of you do? 
We would also like to see the Trastevere area this time. We have seen the major sites in Rome 

Edited by midwestchick

24 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Is it also close to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona?  Also, I’ve always been under the opinion to book hotels directly. Is that what most of you do? 
We would also like to see the Trastevere area this time. We have seen the major sites in Rome 

Alberto Del Senato is like "cruisin4kicks" said. IT IS RIGHT THERE. We saw it when we walked to the Pantheon.

I book our hotels directly... I prefer to not deal with a middleman. 

Alberto Del Senato is a great location for Trastevere and the Colosseum. The Vatican may be a bit far to walk (in the dark for early entry).

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 7:54 PM, nicksmom67 said:

We are on Celebrity Reflection TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.  Staying in Rome October 19 to 22nd when the ship departs.  I've looked over the recommendations ( thank you)  should I book directly with the Hotel or use Expedia like service?  Thanks

I only recommend booking directly with the hotel. I know people who have had terrible experiences with booking sites.  I’m not one to gamble with hotels across the pond.  I like  the extra blanket of security and Inlike being in direct co tact with my hotel.