Deck 3 ocean view cabins on R ships

Dr65

I’m hoping to cruise June 2021 on the Sirena to Ireland(Covid willing). Any opinions on deck 3 cabins? My thinking was less motion low and midship. Does the smaller porthole make a difference compared to the deluxe OV  one deck up? Thanks

2 hours ago, zoncom said:

Recently on deck 4 outside. Big window, very pleasant. Deck 3 will have anchor noise and small portholes.Spend a few more $ for a minimum deck 4.

Huh? All the Deck 3 cabins are mid-ship so I’m not sure why you think the anchor noise would be a problem.

Anyway, my opinion is secondhand. I was talking to a European couple who had sailed Oceania many many times. They always booked these cabins as they said there was less passing foot traffic and so was quieter. They had no problem with light/porthole size.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORV said:

I"m not a fan of the Medical center area. Might be germs there. 

I agree

we usually book starboard side on deck 4

Mind you we usually catch something from people walking around the ship coughing  away

There can be lines of cruisers waiting for   medical services. Listen to longtime O cruisers here.                                                       Just not pleasant down there.

13 minutes ago, zoncom said:

There can be lines of cruisers waiting for   medical services. Listen to longtime O cruisers here.                                                       Just not pleasant down there.

You recommended in your post above  to book deck 4  cabin  that is where the medical centre is 

image.thumb.png.fbccb54475ca057b4ea97fdc02c71efc.png

image.png

I have been on a deck three cabin on the R ships.  It is VERY quiet down there.  Nobody is ever walking past the rooms so no noise.  Our cruise hit a patch of rough seas and many people were sea sick.  We had no issues in our cabin due to its location.   The biggest downside in my opinion is the small porthole makes for a dark cabin. 

Edited by KS&JW
  • Thanks 1

Port holes still allow ample light into a cabin. I have not sailed an ov on R ships.  I have sailed on porthole cabins on other lines. Years ago, it was the norm.  I like veranda cabins if available. However, when we sail on Windstar, there are very few true verandas. We have sailed on Windsurf 4 times. All on deck one with portholes. The first time we did it, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t mind the portholes. It was really fun when the waves hit the portholes.  We loved it enough to sail again.  On R ships, most cabins are same small size. The suites are somewhat larger. The ov cabins are sma size or larger than veranda cabins. c1 cabins forward on decks 6 and 7 are larger than the veranda cabins next door. The ov cabins on deck 6 are to be avoided.  They are extremely small and dark. No chairs because of the small space. They have a big window that is mostly behind lifeboats.  Inside cabins are larger.

• Thanks 1

Well....after many cruises.... the best cabin I found for location, stability, access and overall value are the deck 8 insides..... your close to the forward elevator,  zip ip to Horizons, down to the theater,  zip up to waves bar...    Same turf as the penthouses..     Need a view?    Well turn on the TV and or get out of the cabin...   they are almost mid ship  and on the center axis of the ship ( mid ship is only 50% of the action  the ocean moves in several  )  Very comfortable in  all sorts of weather!!!    I will take them over a PH !!!!    Sailing to Ireland  there are no grand vistas you will miss in an inside.    They are the same size as the veranda  without the veranda..,  

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Redtravel said:

P  c1 cabins forward on decks 6 and 7 are larger than the veranda cabins next door.  

Oh, yes!  I assume you are speaking of the first cabin on both port and starboard on 6 and 7.  We were down-sold once on O - someone must have been offering big $$$ for our concierge cabin - to one of those staterooms and it was huge!  So big that we asked for two more chairs and a side table to be brought in. Liked it so much that on another cruise when verandas weren't any longer available, we booked it again.  Yes, in this location there are anchor noises, but only in tender ports.

And the 'porthole' is about three and a half feet in diameter - tons of light.

Edited by GeorgesGal
added text
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Redtravel said:

The ov cabins on deck 6 are to be avoided.  They are extremely small and dark. No chairs because of the small space. They have a big window that is mostly behind lifeboats.  Inside cabins are larger.

The first OV cabin on each side, 6030 and 6033,  indeed is small but not dark because the only obstruction is the slender davit holding up the small Zodiac, which is below the level of the large “picture” window.  We were in one of these cabins on our first three Oceania cruises, after which we sailed on new build Marina in 2011. Spouse fell in love with the “O” ships (and its two additional specialty restaurants) so we never have returned to any of the smaller Oceania “R” ships.  

The small size made me keep our clothes and purchases well-organized, the location both mid-ship and right by the fore elevators is excellent, and we spent our awake time elsewhere: pool deck, library, etc. 

Been on R ships on Oceania and Azamara many times. However, the O ships are more desirable. Love the large cabins And gorgeous bathrooms on O ships.  My spouse doesn’t want to sail on R ships again.  O ships have more restaurants.  On R ships, the 2 specialty restaurants feature many of the O ship dishes from their 4 restaurants. The bistro in the GDR also features several dishes from a Jacques.  Oceania ships have outstanding food.  Not sure what cruising will be like when it returns.  My guess is that the Terrace will ditch the buffet setup.  

16 hours ago, CintiPam said:

The first OV cabin on each side, 6030 and 6033,  indeed is small  

Not so!  The forward two - 6004 and 6005 - are huge!  The size of these two staterooms and the same two on deck 7 includes the square footage of the balconies of the adjacent rooms which these four do not have.  Been in them on two of the R ships and would book again if nothing else was available on a cruise we really wanted to take.

18 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Not so!  The forward two - 6004 and 6005 - are huge!  The size of these two staterooms and the same two on deck 7 includes the square footage of the balconies of the adjacent rooms which these four do not have.  Been in them on two of the R ships and would book again if nothing else was available on a cruise we really wanted to take.

6033 & 6030  are E cabins  obstructed    & only 145 sq ft compared to the regular  C cabins

the forward C 1 you mention are the exceptions

image.png

image.png

55 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Sorry, LHT, I THOUGHT we were speaking about overview cabins generically.  I don't recall reading about any specific ov category.   I was just pointing out that there were better OV's which are quite comfortable.

yes 

OV  can mean oceanview  or obstructed view

The threads  do wander  😉

The C1's  at the bow are  bigger  than the C1's on deck 4 because of the shape of the hull & lack of balcony

but Pam did give the cabin numbers of the  Obstructed view ones & did mention the zodiacs  hanging infront of the windows

Cruise 2008 192

33 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I guess I was relying on what the OP had written.  In checking, all OV on deck 3 are a category D with no obstructed views.  

correct 

The D cabins  are Oceanview   cabins

The  E cabins on deck 6  are listed as Oceanview  but are obstructed by the lifeboats

the C1 & C 2 are listed as Deluxe Oceanview  

but  the secret is the front ones on deck 6 & 7 are slightly larger than deck 4 

very confusing  🙂