FCC expires, now what?

Redtravel

With so many cruises canceled and no firm restart date, many people could be facing their fcc expire before Oceania sails again. Many people do not want to book until ships are sailing. Booking, getting canceled, booking, getting canceled, again and again has really turned many people off.   Waiting to book until ships really sail, many of the fcc will expire. Will Oceania allow people to extend the expiration dates?   Or will the fcc become outdated and worthless?    Some businesses have said that they will extend  expiration dates. Some will not.   Have respect for places that will push back expiration dates.  Curious what will happen to fcc.

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

With so many cruises canceled and no firm restart date, many people could be facing their fcc expire before Oceania sails again. Many people do not want to book until ships are sailing. Booking, getting canceled, booking, getting canceled, again and again has really turned many people off.   Waiting to book until ships really sail, many of the fcc will expire. Will Oceania allow people to extend the expiration dates?   Or will the fcc become outdated and worthless?    Some businesses have said that they will extend  expiration dates. Some will not.   Have respect for places that will push back expiration dates.  Curious what will happen to fcc.

Have you asked your TA?

No travel agent to ask. My longtime trustworthy agent left in March during the pandemic.. He has not returned. Agency will give no info.   They were uncooperative when I wanted a refund from a canceled Viking cruise. Called Viking directly. After explaining my situation, they refunded my money.  I certainly won't be using that big online agency again.  

I figured by now somebody had fcc that was expiring. Wondering if Oceania was extending the experation date.  It's strange if they insist that a fcc must be used by a certain date when no ships are sailing. We did have fcc from a problem on an Oct. 2018 cruise.  We had to book by Oct. 2019 and sail by Oct. 2020.  We used it in March. Had we booked a cruise with a sail date beyong March , it might be impossible to sail by Oct. 2020.  This must of happened to somebody. 

Well if they started canceling cruises mid to late March of this year and started issuing FCCs, if you have a year to use them we wouldn't really know until next March. I don't really know how long they were good for though. 

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well if they started canceling cruises mid to late March of this year and started issuing FCCs, if you have a year to use them we wouldn't really know until next March. I don't really know how long they were good for though. 

Call Oceania direct...no one in this board knows I dont believe..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

I’ve been wondering this too as I suspect we will not be cruising before FCC starts expiring .  It is easy to think that surely the cruise companies will extend the FCC, but I’ve not seen anything saying or demonstrating that is going to happen.  I suppose time will tell, but I’m curious to hear what Oceania tells you if you call them with this question.

24 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

I’ve been wondering this too as I suspect we will not be cruising before FCC starts expiring .  It is easy to think that surely the cruise companies will extend the FCC, but I’ve not seen anything saying or demonstrating that is going to happen.  I suppose time will tell, but I’m curious to hear what Oceania tells you if you call them with this question.

Can't see how they could not extend when they are not sailing.  Sounds like a good lawsuit.  Also seems to be fraud when they take your money and have nothing to offer in return. Don't know, just saying. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

Can't see how they could not extend when they are not sailing.  Sounds like a good lawsuit.  Also seems to be fraud when they take your money and have nothing to offer in return. Don't know, just saying. 

I agree.  However, if the cruise company goes into bankruptcy, or out of business, then those holding FCC will at the bottom of the creditor list to get the money refunded.  That could be a lot of money for the cruise company.  

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

I agree.  However, if the cruise company goes into bankruptcy, or out of business, then those holding FCC will at the bottom of the creditor list to get the money refunded.  That could be a lot of money for the cruise company.  

As the old saying goes, "cash is king".

• Like 2

This is from the Oceania webpage:

"If your reservation has been deposited or paid in full utilizing a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, your Future Cruise Credit will be re-issued for the amount that was applied. Future Cruise Credits are not redeemable for cash refunds"

3 minutes ago, dj_crusin said:

This is from the Oceania webpage:

"If your reservation has been deposited or paid in full utilizing a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, your Future Cruise Credit will be re-issued for the amount that was applied. Future Cruise Credits are not redeemable for cash refunds"

BUT

It does not say the new expiry date for the FCC

There are many different  expiry dates out there  so best people check with Oceania  or your TA   to find out  your specific  details

JMO

23 hours ago, RJB said:

Whats the deal..you dont even check with someone that might know and your talking law suit..I would think you would be interested enough to get the info..thats the problem with people in this world..LETS SUE...

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Whats the deal..you dont even check with someone that might know and your talking law suit..I would think you would be interested enough to get the info..thats the problem with people in this world..LETS SUE...

Jancruz1

It is the American way LOL

sue first  ask questions later 😄

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is the American way LOL

sue first  ask questions later 😄

LOL..Linda you re so correct, what was I thinking of..????

Miss seeing all of you..

Jancruz1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:30 PM, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

you need to read a little better.  I said could be. And that I don't know.  Lets see what other people know.  Need all opinions on this board, not just yours.  In the meantime stay safe and hope to cruise soon. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, ORV said:

If they started canceling cruise due to COVID why on earth didn't people take refunds?

On 7/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, Jancruz said:

The cruise line has enough money (at this time) for over two years so lets not panic..

Jancruz1

Could you provide a citation to support this please?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

If they started canceling cruise due to COVID why on earth didn't people take refunds?

Our FCC came from cruises we cancelled in March that were past the final payment date. Refund wasn’t an option for most of the money we had paid.  Didn’t feel comfortable waiting on the cruise line to cancel because the cruises took us US to Europe followed a Baltic Sea cruise followed by a several months on land in Europe then a cruise Europe to US.   We were hitting deadlines to get refunds on cancelled lodging and day tours.  Another concern was that the first cruise would get cancelled and the Baltic cruise wouldn’t and we would either have to fly to Europe (doable but a pain and expensive to get last minute tickets) or we would have to forfeit the cost of the cruise.  Wish we could have seen into the future.....

• Like 1