Ryndam to be renamed Rotterdam...

Boatdrill

12 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

With or without a promenade deck?

With, of course! IF a hybrid of the Signature and Pinnacle class ship is required, then at least carve out pocket niches on the Promenade Deck where groups of steamer chairs can be fit into ... and make the "walkpaths" slightly wider than the Pinnacle ones to allow for passing in the tight areas.

Another idea would be to dedicate a SHADY portion of upper decks for steamer chair use. That would be OK (if they were the actual steamer chairs and not the lounger types - those can go elsewhere on the ships, like the pool areas). 

As long as I have a steamer chair in a shady spot with a view, and a walkable Promenade Deck that is not on top of the ship, I can live with the new ones.

The twisting path of the Pinnacle class will be difficult for me to navigate, with reduced vision (why I love the Signature class as I could just walk in a straight line down then switch to the other side, which is easier when one has a navigational cane used by blind folks, as I would imagine my cane getting stuck on the railings/walls on the Pinnacle ones). I've had my share of getting impaled in the ribs by a cane getting stuck in a rut or obstacle on a path that SHOULD have been straight. Not fun at all. 

(Maybe I should stress that the Signature/Vista class Promenade decks are more ACCESSIBLE than the Pinnacle class one? For cane use by blind/low-vision folks).

Edited by PromenadeDeckWriter
Postscript at end
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Himself said:

I  Would like to see HAL build two more Signature Class Ships.

19 hours ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

I second this! 

I was surprised that only two of the Signature Class were built.  That's atypical of HAL's construction pattern of recent years.  

We now know that there will be a Pinnacle Class #3 for certain (unless that changes):  Rotterdam VII.  Will there be a Pinnacle Class #4?

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I am amazed with all of the combined knowledge that is expressed on CC that no one mentions that the design change of the Pinnacle Class Promenade deck is due to SOLAS regulation changes required for lifeboats, later than the Nieuw Amsterdam completion.

Lifeboat placement was a factor in how the Promenade Deck had to be built.  It's my impression that somehow in the design of Pinnacle Class #3, some type of modification will be able to be made to allow a more "usual type" of a Promenade Deck.  Stay tuned; we'll see.

There are some other design features that need to be incorporated into the new build.  On the Nieuw Statendam, the upper deck surrounding the mid-ship's pool has areas where the deck space is too narrow, particularly at the forward end of that deck.  One has to watch carefully that one does not trip over some furniture in spots.  The space between the chairs along the railings and the cabanas on the outside seem too narrow as well to me.  Adding another 12-18 inches to the width of that deck would, I think, be an improvement.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

There are some other design features that need to be incorporated into the new build.  On the Nieuw Statendam, the upper deck surrounding the mid-ship's pool has areas where the deck space is too narrow, particularly at the forward end of that deck.  One has to watch carefully that one does not trip over some furniture in spots.  The space between the chairs along the railings and the cabanas on the outside seem too narrow as well to me.  Adding another 12-18 inches to the width of that deck would, I think, be an improvement.  

We booked our Nieuw Statendam cruise while on the Eurodam with the onboard FCC. The FCC suggested choosing the Nieuw Statendam cruise over a similar Konigsdam cruise. He was aware that enough changes were being made that he referred to the Nieuw Statendam as a Konigsdam Version 2.0.

One of the reasons that the Promenade Deck narrows down at the stern is due to the larger kitchen supporting an additional restaurant and the Main Dining Room's additional passengers served. The engineers and designers have to work within given restraints. Adding additional deck to the Panorama Deck would add additional weight high in the superstructure that may affect stability. I would rather see different furniture in place of those huge couches located there. Passengers seem to stretch out on them in place of their intended use.My original thought on the huge screen was negative but I found it entertaining while having a gelato or desert in the evening.

I agree that the current two ships do have shortcomings but that some are hopefully addressed with the new Rotterdam

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

He was aware that enough changes were being made that he referred to the Nieuw Statendam as a Konigsdam Version 2.0.

I made friends during my Nieuw Statendam cruise who had sailed on Koningsdam.  The change that they noticed was the location of the snack buffet at Billboard on Board (where we had our HH) was different and better located on Nieuw Statendam.

I would rather see different furniture in place of those huge couches located there. 

If the width of the deck cannot be changed, then the size/type of furniture on that upper mid-ship pool deck needs to change.

• Like 1

My original thought on the huge screen was negative but I found it entertaining.

As did I.  I had previous experience with such screens on Carnival and Princess ships, so I had an idea what to expect.  One evening, I watched some football on Nieuw Statendam with other fans of The Ohio State University.  Bundled in blankets, it was a "new experience".  It did not replace adequately watching the same game in the "atmosphere" of a ship's Sports Bar.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was surprised that only two of the Signature Class were built.  That's atypical of HAL's construction pattern of recent years.  

We now know that there will be a Pinnacle Class #3 for certain (unless that changes):  Rotterdam VII.  Will there be a Pinnacle Class #4?

I fear there will be or something larger that will be called "mid-size."

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 6:59 PM, NordicPrince said:

You should check your facts before posting some of this incorrect information. For example, the Pinnacle class ships have very nice movie screens by the main pool under the Magrodome. Every day at 4 P.M. on the Koningsdam they would show a lovely nature series to enjoy during Happy Hour. 

The only cruise line that features smaller modern ships is Viking. I have been on them and they have a wonderful product but you pay 3 times more for it. You also get some more amenities included.

HAL is not going to go that way; you might as well get used to it.

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote. 

I'm  NOT  a fan of ....the lack of traditional amenities such as pools without movie screens. 

In other words, I don't care for movie screens by the pool. 

2600+ pax may not be a lot of people for you, but it's too many for me.   

The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are my limit. 

I am used to what HAL is producing now -Pinnacle Class- and chose not to participate. 

The room I don't book will go to someone who wants to be there.  

Again, there are cruise lines and ships for everyone.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Just talked to a reservation person at HAL - they said that the name change has caused alot of confusion for them, given the fact that the old Rotterdam still shows up on the system.

The naming of the Nieuw Amsterdam also caused confusion on the part of guests when the Amsterdam was still in service.  

People need to do more researching about what they are trying to book than some choose to do.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Despegue said:

I suggest that from now on, we all boycot the idiotic name Nieuw Statendam and call her by her correct name: Ms. Statendam.

That is a bit sexist!  How about Mr. Statendam? 😁

I know, I know, but I believe it should be MS Statendam or even M.S. Statendam (and not Ms. Statendam).

Apologies as I am in a particularly pedantic mood this morning.  😇

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, rkacruiser said:

Lifeboat placement was a factor in how the Promenade Deck had to be built.  It's my impression that somehow in the design of Pinnacle Class #3, some type of modification will be able to be made to allow a more "usual type" of a Promenade Deck.  Stay tuned; we'll see.

I agree with you.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:01 AM, DaveOKC said:

Just talked to a reservation person at HAL - they said that the name change has caused alot of confusion for them, given the fact that the old Rotterdam still shows up on the system.

Our Oct 2021 Rotterdam VI cruise was cancelled, and we were switched to Sept with a different itinerary.  When the ship sold, we moved our FCC to Nieuw Statendam Aug 2021, which was also cancelled, shifting us to Ryndam later that month, now Rotterdam VII.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1