What if Grandma can't go?

We currently have three cabins for the March 22, 2021 sailing on the Independence of the Seas.  It is for me (dad), mom, daughter, daughter, daughter, and grandma.  All three daughters are under 13 years of age.  Cabin 1 ( me and daughter), Cabin 2 (mom and daughter), Cabin 3 (grandma and daughter).  Grandma is 78.  What would happen if grandma decides not to go in March?  She wants to go, just don't know how things will be at that time.  Will they let us keep cabin 3 (not asking for a refund on grandma's fare) with just a child booked in it or will they make us change  cabin 1 or cabin 2 to a cabin that holds 3 and make us pay the prevailing rates at that time?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

It may depend if you say anything before check in and perhaps location of cabin.

Like have grandma be a no show? What could they do the day of sailing?  If grandma is a no show then after the cruise her taxes and fees refunded. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Like have grandma be a no show? What could they do the day of sailing?  If grandma is a no show then after the cruise her taxes and fees refunded. 

My concern is that the only other guest left on the reservation for that cabin would be a minor.  

13 minutes ago, bamdoo said:

My concern is that the only other guest left on the reservation for that cabin would be a minor.  

Tell them at check in grandma checking in separate. Once you onboard what's the cabin steward going to say? Give him a tip... hes not going to say anything. Its doable. Grandma missed the ship.

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Tell them at check in grandma checking in separate. Once you onboard what's the cabin steward going to say? Give him a tip... hes not going to say anything. Its doable. Grandma missed the ship.

As Biker said above, it will depend on cabin location.  Minors are allowed to be in adjoining cabins or those directly across the hall from their guardians.  (They will allow them to be up to 3 cabins away).   If Grandma is a no show they will definitely try to get the minor to move as it becomes a liability situation for them if the minor is not within distance of their guardians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bamdoo said:

My thoughts exactly.  Unless it was adjoining rooms.  BIG safety concern, otherwise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevea36 said:

As Biker said above, it will depend on cabin location.  Minors are allowed to be in adjoining cabins or those directly across the hall from their guardians.  (They will allow them to be up to 3 cabins away).   If Grandma is a no show they will definitely try to get the minor to move as it becomes a liability situation for them if the minor is not within distance of their guardians.

They are three balcony cabins in a row. My cabin and moms cabin are connecting rooms.  Grandma is the very next room.  All three balconies connect.  Thanks for all of the feedback. 

18 minutes ago, bamdoo said:

They are three balcony cabins in a row. My cabin and moms cabin are connecting rooms.  Grandma is the very next room.  All three balconies connect.  Thanks for all of the feedback. 

Absolutely no worries, crew could not care less. Crew will be spending all their energies chasing around rouge corona viruses. 

image.png.0cd4642b0e836c151c45a56438213367.png

• Like 1

Thinking about this some more, there’s gotta be a way to make it work. What if you hired an au pair as a back up. Then, um, if Grandma can’t make it, maybe you put mom and one of the two daughters in the first room. Then the other two daughters in the room that connects with mom. 

6 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

You dont know that.

southern hemisphere's winter is already showing a more severe second wave as seen in Australia. Weeks into a shutdown cases are spiking. "Deep into the Southern Hemisphere winter, Australia’s second-most populous city Melbourne is experiencing a virus resurgence that dwarfs its first outbreak back in March." What other countries experience first, the US will experience 10 fold just as we are now. Other countries shut down 95% of their economies to contain the virus. USA shut down roughly 45% of it's economy. Greedy much? time will tell.

If it ends up the Grandma is unable to go on the cruise, what I would do is check in with your family, let Grandma be a no show. Then once you are on board, the crew do not care where anyone sleeps. I would switch people around and have the two cabins that connect sleep one of the adults and two children. Then the other adult sleeps in the cabin that is not connected with the other child. You can easily leave the connecting cabin doors open so that it is no different then sleeping at home. That way you do not have a child sleeping alone in a cabin that is not directly connected to a parent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bamdoo said:

Grandma is the very next room.  

Then there's no issue, you can cancel grandma at any time, but as is the usual recommendation here, have her be a no show. You'll get her taxes back. 

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Then there's no issue, you can cancel grandma at any time, but as is the usual recommendation here, have her be a no show. You'll get her taxes back. 

Exactly this ^. Once onboard no one will ask or care who sleeps where.

I think the solution would be, at least on paper, to put 2 minors in the same cabin and a parent in an adjoining cabin. The other parent and child are good in the same cabin.  I think that satisfies all of the rules.   You may want to make the switch now.  Put Mom and Grandma in the same cabin and  2 minors in an adjoining cabin.  That way there won't be any surprises at the pier if Grandma can't go at the last minute.  As others have noted you can sleep any where you want after you board, you just need to request a couple of extra keys.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know the chances of cruises resuming from the US by next March are extremely low. 

Well, cruises have already resumed in Europe and we don't even have a vaccine.  They were able to do that because of a lower infection rate.  If in March, the infection rate is low and some people (ie first responders, health professionals, seniors) have already gotten the vaccine, then yes I could see 3-4 day sailings out of Florida going.

Plus, for those who say March is still flu season, I suspect people will stay home alot more this winter.  Yes, we have young people out at the beaches partying right now  but people will be alot less willing to take risks like that in winter.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

4 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Well, cruises have already resumed in Europe and we don't even have a vaccine.  They were able to do that because of a lower infection rate.  If in March, the infection rate is low and some people (ie first responders, health professionals, seniors) have already gotten the vaccine, then yes I could see 3-4 day sailings out of Florida going.

Um, this is awkward. Please check out the recent news about positive Covid-19 crew on said European cruise. Will probably set back cruising months more. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Um, this is awkward. Please check out the recent news about positive Covid-19 crew on said European cruise. Will probably set back cruising months more. 

I heard about Hurtigruten.  This is unfortunate but I disagree it will set cruising back months.  Let's see what happens in Europe over next few months.  Royal owns half of Mein Schiff.

I think they will figure how to handle in Europe and that will help when cruising restarts.

4 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Plus, for those who say March is still flu season, I suspect people will stay home alot more this winter.  Yes, we have young people out at the beaches partying right now  but people will be alot less willing to take risks like that in winter.

Comparing the US to Europe is like comparing night to day when it comes to this virus. The US continues to move in the wrong direction when it comes to this virus. I live in Florida and things are getting worse here every day. If cruises do resume  early next year, which would be great, I highly doubt they will be from ports in Florida. Every night on the local news they show videos of people not social distancing, not wearing masks, people saying they will not wear a mask, etc., not to mention what I see first hand. I think Florida is going to be in bad shape not just this year, but likely most of next year too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1