Return to cruising and COVID cases already

Sugar67

With an airborne respiratory disease there will be outbreaks on cruise ships.  Cruising in areas where they have the virus otherwise contained will depend on how successful the protocols are in detecting, and then stopping the spread when someone is sick or tests positive.  

The USA Today article talking about it now being up to 36 crew.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

Edited by naxer
added article

No mention of severity or outcomes so if this wasn't related to cruising, not even worth reporting.  Hurtigruten required a fit-to-sail certification so if everyone survives (which was likely the case anyway), no need to freak out and cancel any sailings.  Half steam ahead.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't see how cruising can begin unless everyone is tested before stepping on to the ship, there is a vaccine, the virus runs its course, or there is a highly successful treatment rendering the virus harmless.  Because people can have the virus without symptoms, I think testing should be required if cruising begins before things get much better.

Hopefully, things will get better in the fall.  I won't even get on an airplane right now and have put off my road trip to Florida until October.  Even going to the beach in Florida is too soon to me.  My son's friend came back from Florida and now has covid.  He's the first person that I know who contracted it.  He is doing fine, but shows how traveling to Florida is very risky.

Anyway, they need to test people before anyone steps on a cruise ship or just wait until things get better.  The lockdown slowed things down, but was never able to stop it.  It's a virus and makes sense that as long as travel is permitted, it's going to continue to spread.

Everyone was tested before the cruise. The crew was tested twice.

A passenger also tested positive.  I think from the July 17 cruise. (You might rightfully question the source, but it's a link closer to Norway...)

http://icepeople.net/2020/08/01/all-passengers-must-now-be-quarantined-one-passenger-aboard-hurtigruten-ship-during-svalbard-cruise-has-w-covid-19-hometowns-of-all-passengers-being-notified/

Edited by naxer

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Which only goes to show that testing (and taking the temp) means nothing.

Not at all, it certainly helps weed out the obvious problems. Most of the C19 cases will have a temperature, cough, or other identifiable characteristics. In this case, while ill, the crew symptoms were not consistent with normal C19 cases. Any doctor worth going to these days requires masks and temperature scans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naxer said:

I think the tracing pointed to a passenger bringing it on the ship.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Not at all, it certainly helps weed out the obvious problems. Most of the C19 cases will have a temperature, cough, or other identifiable characteristics. In this case, while ill, the crew symptoms were not consistent with normal C19 cases. Any doctor worth going to these days requires masks and temperature scans.

Need I say more?  It's the "unobvious problems" that you need to catch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

If this goes even slightly off topic .....it's about one specific cruise....or turns into a mask, vaccine, stats etc thread it goes. Enough of that on here already

Thank you for the prompt reminder.

Now is when I would expect some covid cases. I would also expect frequency to decline as the cruise lines make improvements to their processes. To think there will never be a case on a ship is unrealistic, considering how many zillions of cases are on land.

19 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Which only goes to show that testing (and taking the temp) means nothing.

No, it means that the virus was introduced after the round of testing. 

I don't understand your assertion that testing means nothing. The test worked. Folks took a test on a certain day. They changed the exposures, and now the virus managed to come in.

The questions are how were the passengers screened and will everyone have to be tested again mid-cruise after say...three days or so at see. Day one could indicate one thing while day four shows a different reality. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

No, it means that the virus was introduced after the round of testing. 

Well, it actually means the virus was detected after the round of testing.  In any case, testing and screening will help minimize the spread on cruise ships, but not prevent it.  The big question that cruise lines will have to answer in order to sail at least somewhat like they used to,  is what happens when it happens?

21 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

If this goes even slightly off topic .....it's about one specific cruise....or turns into a mask, vaccine, stats etc thread it goes. Enough of that on here already

It’s naive to think this one specific cruise isn’t going to have larger implications across the cruise industry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, naxer said:

Well, it actually means the virus was detected after the round of testing.  In any case, testing and screening will help minimize the spread on cruise ships, but not prevent it.  The big question that cruise lines will have to answer in order to sail at least somewhat like they used to,  is what happens when it happens?

A negative test only means the virus was not detected.  It tells you that on "the results page" and that there are a lot of false negatives.

My husband had corona.  He had all the signs/symptoms and was hospitalized for "suspected corona".  He was tested twice; both results were negative.  To do the test properly the swab has to be deeply inserted in the nasal passage.  If it's not deep enough, the specimen may not have enough "virus" to be detected.  And, there are false positives if the sample is contaminated.

• Like 1