Summer 2022

PSU

32 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Not if it was paid for with FCC....they revert back to your account in their original amounts.

Agreed.

My original point in post #40 was in response to the assertion in post #37 that deposits would only be given back by Regent in the form of an FCC, even in the case of a fully paid cruise, which I believe is incorrect.

We have either cancelled or been canceled for several cruises so far..we have always requested cash refunds and received our monies. Never had a problem. 
We have never played the FCC game to get 25% additional funds. 
We have several cruises booked for the future and hope most will sail. If not, we will take cash refunds. 
We do not find anything confusing. 
Sheila

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Am I correct in this scenario: Regent cancels a cruise you have paid for, and you opt for an FCC; you book a future cruise, and this cruise is subsequently cancelled by Regent; you will not then be offered a refund, only an FCC with a diminishing schedule to rebook.

I believe that is correct. 

Once a customer has opted for a FCC then it will always remain as a FCC until its expiry date, at which point it will be worthless (unless the expiry date is extended by Regent at their discretion). 

An FCC cannot be converted to a cash refund in any circumstances, but can be rolled forward.

Edited by flossie009

5 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We have either cancelled or been canceled for several cruises so far..we have always requested cash refunds and received our monies. Never had a problem. 
We have never played the FCC game to get 25% additional funds. 
We have several cruises booked for the future and hope most will sail. If not, we will take cash refunds. 
We do not find anything confusing. 
Sheila

Smart, Sheila.  But I don't think anyone is confused about that part.  It's the FCC game that's confusing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's the FCC game that's confusing.

I think most Regent customers understand the risks associated with accepting FCCs rather than refunds.

The FCC option was introduced by Regent, following the lead of other cruise lines, in order for the company to retain cash.

The difficulty is that many customers (and Regent?) did not expect the effects of the pandemic to stagnate the cruise industry for so long.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I think most Regent customers understand the risks associated with accepting FCCs rather than refunds.

The FCC option was introduced by Regent, following the lead of other cruise lines, in order for the company to retain cash.

The difficulty is that many customers (and Regent?) did not expect the effects of the pandemic to stagnate the cruise industry for so long.

Also don't believe the once you take FCC, you can't convert to cashrefund stipulation existed in the beginning when cruises were being cancelled.  Believe that once the COVED issues continued Regent retroactively added the once an FCC, always an FCC rule so that people who initially took the FCC in March/April and believed they could book another 2020 cruise are now stuck with FCC's and also in the beginning cruises using the FCC's had to be booked by the end of 2020 and sailed by the end of 2021.  Those dates have changed to allow a longer time to book and cruise however the FCC's forever is now the rule from the beginning.

• Like 2

I agree with Sheila, about taking the cash refund instead of FCC.  What would happen to the FCCs if Regent went out of business before they could be used? I don't think anybody knows. Now, before I anger anybody, let me say that this is the LAST thing I want to happen. But NCLH Went on a fund raising venture last Spring  burdening itself with debt exceeding its current asset value and diluting its stock value. At that time NCLH announced that it had raised enough funds to stay afloat during a shutdown until late Fall, 2021. If I'm not mistaken, after that, it is broke unless it can resume near full operation by then. I agree with Flossie that nobody expected the pandemic to last as long as it has, and nowhere as long as it is now predicted to last by some sources. And those sources predict tht it will last into 2022 at least. But I see some problems with taking the cash too. If I make final payment on my AmEx, Regent cancels, and I request a cash refund, it will take at least a couple of billing cycles for the refund credit to hit my account. In the meantime I will have to pay interest on it. Not a minor thing, considering credit card interest and the price of Regent cruises.

• Like 1

We have made each of our decisions to pay the final payment, based on whether we believed the cruise had a good chance to sail. Two of our cruises were fully paid for. One was a deposit. We have received all our funds and moved the $100 administrative fees to new cruises. When we canceled, we felt we preferred to have our cash in pocket instead of with Regent. We do have lots of deposits still with them. 
BTW.. we had no problem getting our refunds. 
We did have one deposit with Crystal Cruises. That was taking too long for our refund, so we contacted our credit card and lo and behold...we got our deposit refunded!

We feel that Regent handled us with courtesy and continue to enjoy working with them. 
We hope that the ships will start sailing soon so they can stay in business. Otherwise, there will be nothing to discuss!

sheila

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I agree with Sheila, about taking the cash refund instead of FCC.  What would happen to the FCCs if Regent went out of business before they could be used? I don't think anybody knows. Now, before I anger anybody, let me say that this is the LAST thing I want to happen. But NCLH Went on a fund raising venture last Spring  burdening itself with debt exceeding its current asset value and diluting its stock value. At that time NCLH announced that it had raised enough funds to stay afloat during a shutdown until late Fall, 2021. If I'm not mistaken, after that, it is broke unless it can resume near full operation by then. I agree with Flossie that nobody expected the pandemic to last as long as it has, and nowhere as long as it is now predicted to last by some sources. And those sources predict tht it will last into 2022 at least. But I see some problems with taking the cash too. If I make final payment on my AmEx, Regent cancels, and I request a cash refund, it will take at least a couple of billing cycles for the refund credit to hit my account. In the meantime I will have to pay interest on it. Not a minor thing, considering credit card interest and the price of Regent cruises.

Yes, well, sorta.  Hopefully if someone puts a cruise final payment on their credit card, they have the cash to pay it off before they take the cruise.  Yes?  I'm sure most of us fall in that category--we're not going to be incurring long-term credit card debt for a cruise.  

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Yes, I’m sure that all of Regent’s clientele have the money to pay cash for a cruise, as we do. We charge our cruises on AmEx Platinum for only one reason. As a last resort, if the services or goods aren’t furnished AmEx is very good about removing the charge and charging back the vendor. If you take a look at the Paul Gauguin board, many who have been caught with a canceled paid up cruise have done just that. PG is offering only FCCs, and many don’t want a future cruise given the restrictions and testing inconveniences on the resumed cruises. But none of us got to that position by loaning five (or six?) figures of money to a large corporation interest free for two or three months. And then there is the problem of canceling the air we booked, which at least involves upgrade air to a gateway airport, and perhaps additional North American upgrade air we book to avoid Regent’s basic economy.

Edited by Dolebludger

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Also don't believe the once you take FCC, you can't convert to cashrefund stipulation existed in the beginning when cruises were being cancelled.

I do not recall Regent ever issuing a refundable FCC for a cruise cancelled during this pandemic.

The only refundable item I remember from the past was the Cruise Certificate that could be purchased by guests whilst on board - as discussed in this previous thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2699040-benefits-of-booking-onboard

Edited by flossie009

52 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes, I’m sure that all of Regent’s clientele have the money to pay cash for a cruise, as we do. We charge our cruises on AmEx Platinum for only one reason. As a last resort, if the services or goods aren’t furnished AmEx is very good about removing the charge and charging back the vendor. If you take a look at the Paul Gauguin board, many who have been caught with a canceled paid up cruise have done just that. PG is offering only FCCs, and many don’t want a future cruise given the restrictions and testing inconveniences on the resumed cruises. But none of us got to that position by loaning five (or six?) figures of money to a large corporation interest free for two or three months. And then there is the problem of canceling the air we booked, which at least involves upgrade air to a gateway airport, and perhaps additional North American upgrade air we book to avoid Regent’s basic economy.

My point was only about interest on a credit card balance.  Since interest on our cash money is currently negligible, except for the opportunity cost of having it invested, it's not a big deal.  And don't know what the horrible Paul Gauguin situation has to do with this--if Regent did that, we'd all probably be outraged, as PG customers are.

When you deposit a WC you give Regent an interest free loan.....no difference between this and a FCC. 

Imo both would be honored in the event of a restructuring...the company wouldn't get another booking they shafted half their base.

• Like 2

Wendy,

Of course I know that saving account interest on the time Regent would hold my funds before the refund wouldn’t be much. But what I could get for it in another investment might be more. And I would have to cancel the North American flights we booked (as we don’t want Regent’s basic economy) and there could be could be several hundred$ In cancelation fees. Also, there would be hotel bookings to cancel, all too often at a fee.  And my reference to the Paul Gauguin mess was not meant to imply that Regent is doing as badly. I just wanted to inform that good cards, like AmEx will issue a credit rather immediately upon proof that the vendor isn’t furnishing what it was paid for. The vendor will be notified and if there isn’t a valid response in two weeks, AmEx will charge back and conclude the matter.

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

just wanted to inform that good cards, like AmEx will issue a credit rather immediately upon proof that the vendor isn’t furnishing what it was paid for. The vendor will be notified and if there isn’t a valid response in two weeks, AmEx will charge back and conclude the matter.

Most of what I qoted is correct the exception is the two weeks you stated.  It is more like 60 days and this is based on recent direct issues.  Even after the 60 days Amex will reverse the credit should the merchant provide an adequate.  That said, I personally have had that happen and I simply got back in touch with Amex with a response to the merchant's invalid response and the credit went back on.  When the merchant failed to respond within the 60 days the credit was made permanent and that was the end of the dispute.   The last two disputes I had with my Amex card were both subject to the 60 day waiting period.

I don’t know RD, but on my AmEx Platinum card, the way I described above is how it is done. And if the charge were for a cruise, and if I sent written cancelation notice from the line, the matter would be over immediately. Some CC disputes are more difficult to resolve. But if the card holder has written proof from the vendor that the services or goods will not be delivered, the matter is concluded very quickly to our experience. There can be no way of disputing a cancelation notice.

Edited by Dolebludger

38 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I don’t know RD, but on my AmEx Platinum card, the way I described above is how it is done. And if the charge were for a cruise, and if I sent written cancelation notice from the line, the matter would be over immediately. Some CC disputes are more difficult to resolve. But if the card holder has written proof from the vendor that the services or goods will not be delivered, the matter is concluded very quickly to our experience. There can be no way of disputing a cancelation notice.

Sorry but, I have to somewhat disagree.  Have been an Amex card holder for over 50 years now and yes, Amex does a better job for the customer than say Chase.  Luckily during this pandemic the cruise I had booked and cancelled was after I was in the 12% penalty phase and the cancellation notice identified the amount of cancellation charges but, for whatever reason I got my full cash refund.

But, had I received the FCC rather than cash refund just because I cancelled I am sure Amex would not have refunded the penalty dollars.  Like I said, over 50 years as an Amex card holder and NEVER have I gotten a final judgement in 2 weeks.  This year a late portion of the refund that I disputed was in my favor in about 6 weeks but, never in over 50 years withing 2 weeks.  Believe the standard time a merchant has to respond in their contracts with Amex and Chase is 60 days based on experience wnd what the letters stated after I had disputes on both this year.

Simply because the services or goods will not be delievered does not make the money be refunded if there are written cancellation terms that all cruise lines have so in your comment you have to include except when cancellation terms are included in the merchant's T's and C's.

Don't want people to believe that money will be refunded for non delivery in all cases as you stated.  It all depends on the T's and C's and response of the merchant.

Do you have AmEx Platinum? I do and have had better luck. But your post brings up the matter of cruise line contracts “fine print”. If the fine print says something about a cruise line’s refund for a cruise they cancelled, AmEx might recognize it. As a solution for that, I would propose the attack that this fine print is not readable (at my age) and I have won on this with AmEx, though not about a cruise. I could post more but won’t — it would only attract attacks. Just let me say in leaving this thread that Regent (and other lines too) have to change a number of things before we book another cruise and put down a dime, including restrictions, and inclusions, their choice of forum for suits, and refund policies. And some of the matters in these subject will have to change. Or else, we’ll just not book.

Well then Dolebludger you won’t be going on regent or any other cruisel line again as the chances that any cruise line will make the changes you are asking to be changed are slim to none and slim has left the building

yes have had platinum gold and green over the years and my comments apply to them all. 

And while I too would like the changes you are requesting there is zero chance any cruise line will make those changes. 

RD, 

I agree with your post above, and am happy that we have been on about 25 — 30 cruises in the past — almost all of which were fun. And all the ones on Regent were great. But we cannot book and pay for a “pig in the polk” which means we don’t know what we are paying for, and don’t know how to get a refund if the cruise is no-go. It all depends (according to the lines) on contract fine print — which by the way we have never signed. Hmmm! The cheapest of any cruise worth doing is more than the statute of frauds in my state, which requires such contracts to be signed to be enforceable. Hmmm! 

Though we don’t feel secure booking any future cruise now, I hope we will sometime again. But for now, there are alternatives. 

Edited by Dolebludger