We'll start with shorter cruises and fewer people

jwc1027

51 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

How are they essential? They are not needed for domestic travel. 

Now or then?

People traveled by sea domestically back at turn of century

Edited by CSHS1979

Royal has floated the idea of taking a civid19 test before boarding.

ok this is fine for some, but others who feel fine may not want a foot long stick with a swab put up your nasal passage.

So

What about false positives, look at Ohio Governor..

Does RC give me a full cash refund and the extra cost of getting home early

This Will keep the passenger numbers down

Stay safe

16 minutes ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

Does RC give me a full cash refund and the extra cost of getting home early

Not likely to the refund.  Definite no on paying to get you home.  If a test is required and you don't want one, stay home and take whatever refund or FCC you can get from them.

12 hours ago, Anton said:

I can see B2B cruisers having to go through new medical screening for each cruise, leaving the ship and going through whatever medical testing is done in the terminal along with the newly embarking guests with no special screening just for B2B people.  

B2B won't be happening IMO until Covid is well in our rear view mirror. 

11 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

"Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given."

In other words, let's say the green light is given in 2nd quarter 2021, then they'll begin a few short sailings, and then 6 months later they can possibly have most of their fleet geared up...

That takes everyone.... everyone, including those reading this with FCC's...  to Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 if he is correct.

Finally a cruise executive that is willing to be honest with their guests and industry lovers.  IF things are better they can always start moving sooner.  First and most important step is getting the collective health of Americans better, before they can even start their plan.

11 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

So on an unrelated topic. 

MSC say their wrist bands can be used for contact tracing. Do the WOW bands have that ability?

RFID chip under the skin is what I have read.😉

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I said short cruises would probably fill up with locals. Right now flying has a risk that previously was not there. But you are right, I have no idea what others will do so.... I will not go through the risk, and expense, of flying for a short cruise. And that is especially true when I don't even know what the product, or hassle,  will be like. Better?

We would not fly for a short cruise.

8 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

People have caught the virus while flying yet the airlines are still operating!

Airlines have always got a pass, and the cruise industry has not.

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

Logistically they are.  This is a pic of just how many flights are in operation right now over the States.

IMG_2390.thumb.jpg.baeeeacf9615c900bf6098779e701975.jpg

• Like 1

This is what worries me. No matter what procedures and precautions, etc. are put in place for airlines, cruises, whatever....as things start to reopen and time goes on, it's so easy for the procedures to become relaxed, especially if things seem to be going well. The bottom line ($$$) ultimately is the fuel that drives everything else. Doing all the cleaning, etc. that should be done = more staff to accomplish and keep up with it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That made me feel so much safer flying. I'm driving. 

You cannot contract Covid 19 by protesting, using airlines, or going to public school. It is not possible. Covid 19 was engineered to never be transferable in those situations. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

You cannot contract Covid 19 by protesting, using airlines, or going to public school. It is not possible. Covid 19 was engineered to never be transferable in those situations. 

Uhhh.....Tongue in cheek, right?   😉

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

They are essential for business travel. Buses and trains take longer and will require you to be among the general public longer and they also make several stops along the way picking up more passengers who may have been exposed to Covid. Cruising in the 21st century is for leisure travel only which is nonessential.  This is just common sense which seems to be lacking during this pandemic.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

B2B won't be happening IMO until Covid is well in our rear view mirror. 

Finally a cruise executive that is willing to be honest with their guests and industry lovers.  IF things are better they can always start moving sooner.  First and most important step is getting the collective health of Americans better, before they can even start their plan.

RFID chip under the skin is what I have read.😉

We would not fly for a short cruise.

Airlines have always got a pass, and the cruise industry has not.

Logistically they are.  This is a pic of just how many flights are in operation right now over the States.

IMG_2390.thumb.jpg.baeeeacf9615c900bf6098779e701975.jpg

Have always been amazed that they don't run into each other.

13 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

No matter what procedures and precautions, etc. are put in place for airlines, cruises, whatever....as things start to reopen and time goes on, it's so easy for the procedures to become relaxed, especially if things seem to be going well.

What ever cruises put in place I doubt it will be relaxed, by the industry or the CDC.  Or at least for a long period of time.

Cruises always get the gears because of their space confinements. After all, cruises are the only place you can get Noro.😉

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

But Florida is one of the most infected states in the Country, who would want to sail with a ship full of Florida people right now.

People who understand Florida will be one of the safest places to visit sooner than later.

Orange County reported no outbreak related to the theme parks, why would a cruise be much different?

Shorter cruises mean the ratio of cruisers to possible infections will be much higher and less likely to be directly attributable to the cruise ship.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

According to dallas morning news as flights ramp back up to more a day, SW quit wiping down all the seats and tables in between flights. Now they just do it once nightly.

That made me feel so much safer flying. I'm driving. 

Hasn’t there been some reports that surface contact is not near as bad as they thought in the beginning?  Infection not as likely to occur from surface contact??  Don’t tough you face. 

M8

12 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Hasn’t there been some reports that surface contact is not near as bad as they thought in the beginning?  Infection not as likely to occur from surface contact??  Don’t tough you face. 

M8

Correct it's primarily an airborne transmission.  Otherwise there wouldn't be the worldwide obsession with masks.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, boatseller said:

People who understand Florida will be one of the safest places to visit sooner than later.

I thought you were supposed to cruising a month ago because it was never a risk in Florida?  Now it is November at earliest by the industry's proposed date.

Orange County reported no outbreak related to the theme parks, why would a cruise be much different?

Because the CDC will be watching the cruise industry like a hawk where as others almost get a free pass.  

The cruise industry always has had a bad name for health issues, Noro being the prime example.  Not to mention Covid in the March.  Now again the last few weeks in the press, with ships having positive cases in Europe, Norway and Alaska.

Shorter cruises mean the ratio of cruisers to possible infections will be much higher and less likely to be directly attributable to the cruise ship.

Why would shorter sailings be a higher/greater risk than a longer cruise?  

A longer cruise gives more time for community spread to happen on board.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

I am seriously wondering if my Odyssey of the Seas cruise from Rome to Athens to Isreal (13 nights) will even happen...It's for Sept. 19th. I have $4000 invested in this cruise and now wondering should I shift it to a shorter cruise that takes off out of the US?

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I thought you were supposed to cruising a month ago because it was never a risk in Florida?  Now it is November at earliest by the industry's proposed date.

Because the CDC will be watching the cruise industry like a hawk where as others almost get a free pass.  

The cruise industry always has had a bad name for health issues, Noro being the prime example.  Not to mention Covid in the March.  Now again the last few weeks in the press, with ships having positive cases in Europe, Norway and Alaska.

Why would shorter sailings be a higher/greater risk than a longer cruise?  

A longer cruise gives more time for community spread to happen on board.

"Never a risk" - Never said that.  Find the quote or apologize.

No one is getting a free pass.  Orange County has no reason to lie or fake the data.  Though the CDC does have a reason to...exaggerate to make themselves fell more relevant.  So if the theme parks aren't a problem, any cruise related transmission should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Shorter cruises = more frequent turns = more individual cruisers = higher cruiser to potential case ration.  5,000/1 looks better than 2,500/1, though both are equally meaningless.  A shorter cruise means less chance the virus will be detected on board vs afterward so harder to count as a cruise related transmission.

Passengers on the first cruises will be wise to the scheme, the crew will be the sticking point.

2 minutes ago, Jovocrtt said:

I am seriously wondering if my Odyssey of the Seas cruise from Rome to Athens to Isreal (13 nights) will even happen...It's for Sept. 19th. I have $4000 invested in this cruise and now wondering should I shift it to a shorter cruise that takes off out of the US?

Sept. 19th of what year?

• Like 1

Another scenario to consider should B2B not be allowed: 

Passenger X leaves a 3 night Royal Caribbean cruise and ambles down to another terminal to board a 4 night Carnival cruise.  How is Carnival going to know?  Ask all embarking guests if they've been on a cruise in the past month?  Maybe a tracing database common to all CLIA cruise lines so every cruise line knows Passenger X was on a 3 night RCI cruise on such and such date.   Even better, what if that Carnival cruise leaves the day after debarking the Royal cruise?  Passenger X spends the night at a port hotel and comes back to the pier in the morning.  So more chances of acquiring the virus while hanging out in town for a day.

The point is this can get very messy and we all know people will look at workarounds to get their 7 nights of cruising done in order to get the most bang for their airline reservation dollars.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anton said:

Another scenario to consider should B2B not be allowed: 

Passenger X leaves a 3 night Royal Caribbean cruise and ambles down to another terminal to board a 4 night Carnival cruise.  How is Carnival going to know?  Ask all embarking guests if they've been on a cruise in the past month?  Maybe a tracing database common to all CLIA cruise lines so every cruise line knows Passenger X was on a 3 night RCI cruise on such and such date.   Even better, what if that Carnival cruise leaves the day after debarking the Royal cruise?  Passenger X spends the night at a port hotel and comes back to the pier in the morning.  So more chances of acquiring the virus while hanging out in town for a day.

The point is this can get very messy and we all know people will look at workarounds to get their 7 nights of cruising done in order to get the most bang for their airline reservation dollars.

They already use a database. Passenger manifest could flag you. They could probably even tell if you flew to the port. 

Edited by CSHS1979

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

The theme parks are one of the few pieces of good news we’ve had. The message seems to be that if you tyrannically enforce mask and social distancing that works to prevent (or at least limit) Covid transmission. 

Can cruise ships copy the Disney model? I don’t know, but have you seen Disney’s rules? You can’t even walk while eating or drinking. And from what I hear, they are very strict to enforce the rules. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

"Asked about the status of the NCLH fleet, Del Rio noted that the majority of the corporation's vessels will be entering cold layup, also known as "minimum manning", within the next 30 to 45 days. A total of seven vessels, which were not named, will be kept in warm-layup status due to port regulations."

"Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given."

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I feel this is likely the most important quote from any executive at any cruiseline since the pandemic began, and almost zero reaction from this forum. I don't know if it's denial or not, however I'm astounded at the lack of any reaction.

• Like 2