Perth to Sydney 2021

Hi we are cruising on Azamara Journey from Fremantle to Sydney for NYE has anyone else done this

cruise if any tips on anything greatly appreciated

We are flying from UK never been Australia or sailed with Azamara

Thanks in advance

Sue

If you want a bit of a laugh plus getting some useful tips about popular shore excursions, with photos, have a read through this thread

It goes the opposite way to your cruise, and starts with NZ, so the ports you're most likely to go to will be somewhere in the middle.

Sue, are you after specific advice on the cruise, or more broadly about Oz?

For instance, how long will you be in Perth and what interests do you have?  

Similar questions for Sydney.

Where to go in Albany(whaling museum, dog rock, Anzac Memorial, etc.).

As you will notice, threads on this board can become long and winding, often stopping for pies. If you can give a few clear points first, various folk have a wealth of information to share.

Adrian

Edited by Docker123

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am somewhat jealous Azamara and new years for 2021-22. With all my cancelled cruises and credits, I wish I could put it towards this one.

Go for it mic

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am somewhat jealous Azamara and new years for 2021-22. With all my cancelled cruises and credits, I wish I could put it towards this one.

Sounds an amazing cruise cannot wait ! Save up for this one will be worth it im sure x

6 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Sue, are you after specific advice on the cruise, or more broadly about Oz?

For instance, how long will you be in Perth and what interests do you have?  

Similar questions for Sydney.

Where to go in Albany(whaling museum, dog rock, Anzac Memorial, etc.).

As you will notice, threads on this board can become long and winding, often stopping for pies. If you can give a few clear points first, various folk have a wealth of information to share.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Information on Cruise and Oz thanks for reccomendations in Albany i will look into those we are a family of 4 adults and 1 15year who is a daredevil who would have loved to shark cage dive looked into that which is not possible for the places we visit.  Are you from Oz ? Thanks for your help  Sue

We are in Perth for 3 days enjoy beach shops and walks to places of intrest 2 days in Sydney we will book the Sydney bridge walk also need to try a pie at Harrys cafe de wheels sounds really good ! (Not that im normally a pie eater haha )

Really hope this visit and cruise ahead i know its 2021 although we have paid a deposit to secure it i want to talk and get excited about it ! Do you

2 minutes ago, suebubbles said:

Hi Adrian

Information on Cruise and Oz thanks for recommendations in Albany i will look into those we are a family of 4 adults and 1 15year who is a daredevil who would have loved to shark cage dive looked into that which is not possible for the places we visit.  Are you from Oz ? Thanks for your help  Sue

We are in Perth for 3 days enjoy beach shops and walks to places of interest 2 days in Sydney we will book the Sydney bridge walk also need to try a pie at Harry's cafe de wheels sounds really good ! (Not that im normally a pie eater haha )

Really hope this visit and cruise ahead i know its 2021 although we have paid a deposit to secure it i want to talk and get excited about it !

Portland is a small town of about 11,000 people in south west Victoria (just over an hour's drive from where I grew up) with a industrial port. There is a small maritime discovery centre which gets good reviews, a cable tram and the depot has a small museum. There are lovely botanical gardens (where my family used to have picnics), there are some great beaches, and a number of national parks close by. As Portland was the first settlement of Victoria, there are many fine buildings from the mid 1800s, including St Stephens Anglican Church and a couple of light houses close by.

Some links which may help - 

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/portland-victoria-australia

http://www.visitportland.com.au/

https://www.iamportland.com.au/

Leigh

10 hours ago, suebubbles said:

Hi Adrian

Information on Cruise and Oz thanks for reccomendations in Albany i will look into those we are a family of 4 adults and 1 15year who is a daredevil who would have loved to shark cage dive looked into that which is not possible for the places we visit.  Are you from Oz ? Thanks for your help  Sue

We are in Perth for 3 days enjoy beach shops and walks to places of intrest 2 days in Sydney we will book the Sydney bridge walk also need to try a pie at Harrys cafe de wheels sounds really good ! (Not that im normally a pie eater haha )

Really hope this visit and cruise ahead i know its 2021 although we have paid a deposit to secure it i want to talk and get excited about it ! Do you

Yes, from Oz.  Originally from Perth, but been in Melbourne 30 years.

I did the Perth to Melbourne on QE last December and visited a couple of these places. Had 3 weeks in Perth with family before boarding.

In Esperance, I took the tour to Cape Le Grand National Park. A bit of a drive, but the scenery in the park is quite amazing.colours of the ocean look like someone made them up. Unedited snaps.

Afterwards there was time to wander around the man in town and beaches.

417CE605-AEA4-45A9-82E0-24C91A5F7B14.thumb.jpeg.f7dfe3b9f0a192b3f7a1f841679e7011.jpeg

2E8046B7-3A2B-4303-B0B5-4DAF175C5293.thumb.jpeg.2c25d8b3bee90ca70fd0fe6f91058144.jpeg

5E3104CE-7CC3-4C9B-8EAD-B6CA21610DB4.thumb.jpeg.a3d948cbb3aebf0e22681b7324faa3c7.jpeg

Edited by Docker123

Perth and Fremantle on the Indian Ocean Coast. So, swimming, surfing etc.  Use lots and lots of sunscreen, hats, etc.  The sun can be fierce. 

Kings Park overlooks the Perth city and the main river areas — Perth Waters, Melville Waters.  DNA tower is a good climb with great views from the top. A 15 y/o would be racing to the top.  Lovely parklands there, even a tree top walk. Free.

In Fremantle, the Maritime Museum has several sections. The new building on the south wharf (very close to the cruise terminal) has an interesting array of old and new boats and related, includes the yacht that won the America’s Cup. There is also a tour of a decommissioned submarine. I find it interesting, but claustrophobic. My 18 y/o niece I took with me was ready to sign up.

A few hundred metres away is the marine archeology section of the museum.  Lots of artefacts, canon, boat parts from ship wrecks along the WA coast. Mostly Dutch, pre-dating captain cook by 150 years. 

Also in Fremantle, there is a tour of the old gaol. Built by convicts and not decommissioned in the early 1990s.

A bit further afield, Margaret River region. Main winery area of WA. Plays magnificent coastal areas. Can be huge surf at times.  Best as an overnight as about 4 hour drive each way, before toursting.

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Portland is a small town of about 11,000 people in south west Victoria (just over an hour's drive from where I grew up) with a industrial port. There is a small maritime discovery centre which gets good reviews, a cable tram and the depot has a small museum. There are lovely botanical gardens (where my family used to have picnics), there are some great beaches, and a number of national parks close by. As Portland was the first settlement of Victoria, there are many fine buildings from the mid 1800s, including St Stephens Anglican Church and a couple of light houses close by.

Some links which may help - 

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/portland-victoria-australia

http://www.visitportland.com.au/

https://www.iamportland.com.au/

Leigh

I have been to Portland twice, however the bigger ships don't seem to go there any longer.  Perhaps it is because the pier is very short and I believe the tide causes large variations in sea levels.  Gangplanks are on one deck when you get off and on another when you return.  Heck of a long walk along the pier/walkway to get to dry land.  In fact they provide busses.

It is a beautiful town and very friendly.  First time there in 2016 I visited the Princess Margaret Rose caves followed by a cruise on the river  which was lovely and well worth it.  The second time in 2017 I went to Treloar's rose gardens and then the blowhole which was again a beautiful outing.

Second visit we nearly didn't get in because it was when the unions blackbanned a ship and refused to allow it to leave the pier.  It had been tied up there for weeks.  However someone worked their magic and the ship was moved the night before our arrival and we were able to get in.  

I would love to go again so keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Sue I pulled the magnificent virtual voyage that Julie put together out to the front page so it will be easy to find. I was a lot of fun and will now act as a great resource for information on many ports down under. I have switched my plan out to 2022 and will be looking at Bay of Islands and Hobart again as they are added on to our new itinerary. 

Enjoy

On 8/15/2020 at 11:36 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Sue I pulled the magnificent virtual voyage that Julie put together out to the front page so it will be easy to find. I was a lot of fun and will now act as a great resource for information on many ports down under. I have switched my plan out to 2022 and will be looking at Bay of Islands and Hobart again as they are added on to our new itinerary. 

Enjoy

Thankyou enjoyed reading through it all

On 8/14/2020 at 11:03 PM, suebubbles said:

Places we visit:

Perth

Albany

Esperance

Adelaide

Kangaroo Island

Portland

Eden

Sydney

Eden is a small port town, a couple of hours south from me. I am going down there again in a couple of weeks.  The national parks down there should have reopened post bush fires.  Fish and chips on the Eden wharf, lubbly jubbly.1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Eden is a small port town, a couple of hours south from me. I am going down there again in a couple of weeks.  The national parks down there should have reopened post bush fires.  Fish and chips on the Eden wharf, lubbly jubbly.1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

I'm sure fish and chips on the Eden wharf will taste much nicer than the photo looks.