Best hotels in Miami

TerReuv

So, our cruise this October was cancelled and since we only cruise every other year, we are now booked for October 2022.  I'm feeling a need to be on a cruise, so I am in really, really, really early planning.  (Don't judge!😁)  We (just hubby and I) are looking for a hotel under $200 and that has a free breakfast.  We will be driving in and will be driving to port ourselves, so no worries about shuttles.  We'll be coming in a day or two early.  Hopefully two.  It would be nice to see the ships, but not a requirement.  I would also like your recommendations for a great place for dinner.  Reasonable, not too fancy.  Seafood, of course.

I would love to hear your recommendations and what you like about the hotel and the breakfast.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  And thanks for feeding my need to plan for a cruise!

Only a few of the downtown hotels (Intercontinental, Doubletree, Marriott) offer views of the port and they, like all other downtown hotels will charge you $30+ per day for parking. 😲

The Hampton Inn in the Mary Brickell area has lots of nearby dining, reasonable (by Miami standards) parking fees, plus free breakfast (I am sure the buffet has been modified due to the virus), and is very popular with cruisers.

Since you will have a car staying in downtown Miami is not required unless that is the focus of your pre-cruise visit.  I would also look at other fun parts of the city - Coconut Grove, etc., as well as Fort Lauderdale.  www,sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, TerReuv said:

So, our cruise this October was cancelled and since we only cruise every other year, we are now booked for October 2022.  I'm feeling a need to be on a cruise, so I am in really, really, really early planning.  (Don't judge!😁)  We (just hubby and I) are looking for a hotel under $200 and that has a free breakfast.  We will be driving in and will be driving to port ourselves, so no worries about shuttles.  We'll be coming in a day or two early.  Hopefully two.  It would be nice to see the ships, but not a requirement.  I would also like your recommendations for a great place for dinner.  Reasonable, not too fancy.  Seafood, of course.

I would love to hear your recommendations and what you like about the hotel and the breakfast.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  And thanks for feeding my need to plan for a cruise!

The area you will find that accommodates your under $200 and breakfast is going to be out by the airport. The Blue Lagoon is the best area. If you arrive a couple of days early I would choose downtown for the cruise view, Mary Brickell or Miami Beach/ South Beach areas.These areas give you  lots of options for dining and shopping that the airport does not. You will also have to pay for parking in these 3 areas. A bargain can be found but expect to pay over $200 for a room.  Marriott Biscayne, the Mandarin Oriental the Intercontinental and the Holiday on Biscayne Blvd. give you nice views of the port.

Edited by skrufy
Addition
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These days I am telling people to skip South Beach.  It has really turned into a ***** show as of late.  I love the Residence Inn Coconut Grove and Courtyard Marriott.  No view of port but view of Biscayne Bay and the marina.  

I also like Hampton Inn Brickell.  That with parking should come under your budget for October.

Your requirements should be pretty easy in October hotel wise except for the dining part.

What do you consider reasonable?  Even the most divey places like Garcias that have their own fishing boats are expensive because seafood is very expensive.  I love River Oyster, Garcias, Casablanca, Sea Spice, Trulucks, and Joes on South Beach.  None would I consider reasonable by even Miami standards but all are excellent and you get what you pay for.

Cuban food will be the most moderately priced.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  We have always liked Hampton Inns.  I will take a look at the Brickell one.  I'll also take a look at the others.  Appreciate the recommendations.  I know things can change in two years, but I like to have a plan and back ups ready!  

I wondered if the seafood would be too expensive.  I'll take a look at some of the place you listed BlueHerons, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I would also love a recommendation for a good hotel.   I want to surprise my husband for everything he does for me.  

He likes the finer things (that's why he picked me of course), but isn't much of a partier (so I don't think he'd want to party all night at South Beach.  I'd like to keep it under $750 range.

We'd love a nice view, beautiful pool, good food and a good place to grab a drink in the evening while we watch the sun go down.

Where should I be looking?

12 hours ago, nhtravels said:

I would also love a recommendation for a good hotel.   I want to surprise my husband for everything he does for me.  

He likes the finer things (that's why he picked me of course), but isn't much of a partier (so I don't think he'd want to party all night at South Beach.  I'd like to keep it under $750 range.

We'd love a nice view, beautiful pool, good food and a good place to grab a drink in the evening while we watch the sun go down.

Wow! 🤑 Even in the peak of tourist season $750 should get you just about any hotel in the Miami/Miami Beach area. Look at the Fontainebleau in Miami Beach or the Ritz Carlton in Miami. 

Or try the Intercontinental, pay for a room with a view of the port, and enjoy drinks on their roof top bar/pool area.

Thank you!  We were looking at the Surf Club or the Mandarin Orient.   But I will check out the two you recommended as well. 

We were fortunate to bank a small fortune in points and have a good pick of places. I just don’t know Miami to know locations. 

There are several good walking tours of the Miami Beach area.  My wife and I took the Art Deco tour, which focused on the architecture of the 1920s and 1930s.  I understand the Design Center also offers a menu of vintage walking tours.

Even in the middle of the day, club and music areas along the beach in South Beach can be raucous. Jugglers, musicians, pan handlers, folks selling stuff, lots of crowds, some pick pocketing, etc. At night it can be crazy.  But, if you move back two blocks toward Collins or Huntington, things calm down a lot

6 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Thank you!  We were looking at the Surf Club or the Mandarin Orient.   But I will check out the two you recommended as well. 

We were fortunate to bank a small fortune in points and have a good pick of places. I just don’t know Miami to know locations. 

Is an inexpensive restaurant recommendation of interest?

20 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

How is Hollywood Beach compared to South Beach? I liked South Beach but it was a young crowd although I did feel safe as a solo female traveler at all times. (last September) 

On 10/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, nhtravels said:

Hollywood Beach is run down compared to South Beach.  South of Fift and Collins north of 14th are the two areas I'd look at for Miami.

mhtravels, if Beach isn't important, check out the Biltmore Hotel.  Two of the Bad Boys movies were filmed there, it's a gorgeous five star resort.   Also, Coral Gables is one of the ritziest neighborhoods in the US.  Historic, stunning.

If you want beach, The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne would be my first pick.  Stunning, laid back beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, nhtravels said:

South Beach other than the beach itself is a joke. $750 a night So. Florida??🤭 The Fountainebleu just laid off 1500 employees, hotels in Florida much less So. Florida are empty you can get a room anywhere you want for little of nothing. 

Before the phoney baloney pandemic in November/18 I got 5 nights in a suite at the Courtyard Marriott on Seabreeze Blvd in Lauderdale for exactly $750 FOR 5 nights ($150 a night) I wouldn't have taken any hotel in Miami for that price. 

I just had friends come back from Miami😩👎 too bad I really love that city. 

$750 a night post pandemic?😂

Edited by TTEllis

On 10/14/2020 at 3:22 AM, Summerstravel said:

Thank you for the information I do like the beach but I am open to areas with good dinning and shopping options.  

I have stayed in Coral Gables at the Hyatt Regency.  Very nice hotel, pleasant staff, and good service.  There were ample dining choices near the hotel.  I'm not a shopper, so have no recollection of that.  A reason I stayed at the Hyatt was because of a CCL Annual Shareholders Meeting that was held at the Biltmore Hotel that I wanted to attend.  Had planned to stay at the hotel, but it was more expensive than what I wanted to pay.  Lovely hotel; huge pool (I think one of the very old Tarzan movies was filmed with the actor who played Tarzan using the pool as part of  the movie's set); worth a sightseeing trip to see the property if one does not stay there.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel rates in Miami and So. FL, are at a 75 year low. For cruisers like myself who enjoy staying several days pre cruise on the beach in Lauderdale, you should take advantage of it. 

Hotel rates are not expected to recover for the next decade.😎😎😎YES!!!!

See you on Las Olas Beach.😉

• 2 weeks later...

One person's great hotel is another's dump :).   If coming in a day or two early you might want to find a decent deal at one of the art-deco places in South Beach.  It is the trendy area, has a nice beach, and there are plenty of restaurants.  Otherwise we do like the Brickell area because you can walk to many places.  As to the airport/Blue Lagoon area it does have better pricing...but that is because it is an area not convenient to downtown.   But if you like airport hotels there are many good options. 

Hank

On 11/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, BlueHerons said:

Hlitner, South Beach hasn't been trendy since the 1990s.  It's definitely dicey these days.

"dicey" your being very generous. South Beach is for the phoney baloney's, it's been rundown for quite sometime. The place is awesome for wannabes. No shortage of those in Miami. 

I take Ft. Lauderdale everytime, no comparison. The vibe on South Beach is unfortunate, the vibe on Las Olas Beach go and see for yourself. 

A1A and Las Olas Blvd. The Elbo Room is the hottest corner in South Florida has been for the last 20 years or so. 

On 11/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, TTEllis said:

"dicey" your being very generous. South Beach is for the phoney baloney's, it's been rundown for quite sometime. The place is awesome for wannabes. No shortage of those in Miami. 

I take Ft. Lauderdale everytime, no comparison. The vibe on South Beach is unfortunate, the vibe on Las Olas Beach go and see for yourself. 

A1A and Las Olas Blvd. The Elbo Room is the hottest corner in South Florida has been for the last 20 years or so. 

I actually live on Las Olas Boulevard so I'm very aware of what is going on.

My girlfriend owns Elbo Room. It's been there since 1938 so its been happening longer than 20 years.