MSC Not Tolerating Violation of New C-19 Health Protocols

Von & John

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No protocals, including MSC's are infallible, and as in all things, it's a matter of when and not if. That being said. While the face shield/mask thing does not seem to be an issue in Italy (and  I realize that is all that is relevant right now); I do think that with American consumers, the face shields will not fly.  So there's no harm in pointing that out for discussion and hopefully their protocols will be adapted as more markets open up. I (and I think plenty of Americans) would much prefer to see someone with their nose and mouth completely covered than see them smiling at me. So the shields are not appealing alternatives. 

I agree totally, which is why I never said that MSC's protocols are infallible, only that they've done a great job creating a safe environment and have had zero cases to date.

I'm not going to get into another round of discussions on masks versus shields, but I'll make a couple of points. First, MSC is allowing face shields as a single element in a suite of protocols that vastly reduces the likelihood of a crew member having COVID-19 to begin with. Secondly, given the reluctance of Americans to wear masks, I'm not convinced that MSC's use of face shields by crew members should have any meaningful negative impact on potential future American consumers. Based on the hundreds of posts from CC members saying that they won't cruise at all if they are required to wear a mask, it is far more likely that these consumers will demure based on MSC's requirements for passengers, not those for the crew.

23 hours ago, mnocket said:

With all due respect, that's a cop out.  I asked 3 straight forward questions that should be easy to answer.   I suspect the reason you didn't answer them is because you realized you couldn't and didn't want to admit it.  Prove me wrong.

Why not go to the MSC boards and have them answer it.....obviously the Celebrity  board is woefully inadequate to answer your questions to your satisfaction and I'm sure my answers wouldn't be satisfactory either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

I was on X and there was a guy in shorts and flip flops in the main dining room on formal night. The Hostess said she couldn't do anything about it. 

Perhaps MORE of the rules will be enforced now.

The Hostess should have denied entry and told him to change or go up to the Oceanview Cafe. 

I've seen a Hostess ask people, more than once,  to remove their hat ( LOL----except that one guy in Murano --- with the gorgeous , etc etc ).

I doubt he's on CC .

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

The Hostess should have denied entry and told him to change or go up to the Oceanview Cafe. 

I've seen a Hostess ask people, more than once,  to remove their hat ( LOL----except that one guy in Murano --- with the gorgeous , etc etc ).

I doubt he's on CC .

It was 5 nights and the Hostess did not do anything even after she was asked. My table mate left the table because of his dress. I believe it is all about respect.

There is not a strict dress code in other venues, only the MDR. He could have gone upstairs or to any of the specialty restaurants. Ah, but doesn't give us an opportunity to discuss things that happened when we were actually on a cruise??

😞

9 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I will test the experience myself in September.

Miaminice- totaly off topic I know- but did TUI made you pay your down payment already? Mine was schduled to get payed until August 19. But until now they haven´t written it off my account.  Final payment is to be by mid September. When does your voyage start- you mentioned it - but I forgot. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I believe MSC's stated rules and crews compliance with them are still very much a work in progress.  Italian health authorities and MSC senior management are no doubt monitoring sailings closely and will make whatever adjustments they feel necessary.

MSC has a HUGE advantage as their cruising division does not need to make $$.  Having a shipping division gives them lots of flexibility.

Discussing the wording in English makes little sense.  Sort of like kicking a ball when the goal posts are moving

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Miaminice- totaly off topic I know- but did TUI made you pay your down payment already? Mine was schduled to get payed until August 19. But until now they haven´t written it off my account.  Final payment is to be by mid September. When does your voyage start- you mentioned it - but I forgot. Thanks!

Our TA handles the payment. I think I saw the charge on my credit card. The cruise is end of September. 

Did you see what TUI announced regarding the PCR test? The are cooperating with Helios hospitals. So you need to go to one of the Helios hospitals, show your cruise pass/confirmation within the given window of time and they do the test.

Of course the next Helios hospital does not happen to be just around the corner for us 🙄 Oh well, we are desperate to cruise... 😁

• Like 1

I ceased to use a TA- well it is an online Ta - but you can do everything online ( cabin selection and so on) !

In these days i would have been better to use one though. I have vouchers for two canceled cruises. My LH backpaiment worked well- which as I read is the exception of the rule. Sadly.

I just saw it posted on the German version of Cruise Critic - Kreuzfahrforum (  I do not post there often- or better almost never - there are  so many nasty and harsh comments- no use to post there) that TUI cooperates with Helios. I just checked where the next Helios Clinic is from my home- and it in Bad Grönenbach- about 45 minutes to drive vom Neu- Ulm. So I take it as a nice visit in the Allgäu. Where is " your" Helios Clinic"?

What one does in order to get ones cruise withdrawl in check. LOL.

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I ceased to use a TA- well it is an online Ta - but you can do everything online ( cabin selection and so on) !

Our TA is specialized in cruises and they are friends of ours. So I am very happy to book with them.
I can basically reach them 24/7. 

The next Helios hospital for us is in KA. So we might do our PCR test after work on the Friday before our cruise.

I used to be an admin in a cruise forum which ceased to exist and in one which I left for various reasons.
Constant complaining and envy were some of the reasons. We cruise for the love of travel and cruising. We never had a bad vacation. If things were "only" 90 % perfect, I prefer to focus on the 90% rather than the 10%...

Same here on CC - usually I only use the RollCalls. But there´s not much activity in them right now... 😞

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

It was 5 nights and the Hostess did not do anything even after she was asked. My table mate left the table because of his dress. I believe it is all about respect.

There is not a strict dress code in other venues, only the MDR. He could have gone upstairs or to any of the specialty restaurants. Ah, but doesn't give us an opportunity to discuss things that happened when we were actually on a cruise??

😞

When people say things like this it makes me not want to cruise on Celebrity

23 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

When people say things like this it makes me not want to cruise on Celebrity

🙂 While getting worse on just about any cruise line the dress code on Celebrity is still one of the better ones... LOL

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

🙂 While getting worse on just about any cruise line the dress code on Celebrity is still one of the better ones... LOL

LOL-- This thread is heading straight to " Dress Codes on Ships "--   ( followed by Gratuities , Buffets, Chair Hogs, and Who's on board ).

Question ---What is so hard about telling passengers to dress according to set policies ? If the Hostess/ Host is too shy they shouldn't be in that position. Get someone else--- " Good evening, what is your stateroom number ? Thank you, enjoy your meal ".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

What is so hard about telling passengers to dress according to set policies ? 

IMHO nothing!

In reality: the feeling of entitlement of some passengers that they can do whatever they want on a cruise...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

IMHO nothing!

In reality: the feeling of entitlement of some passengers that they can do whatever they want on a cruise...

Strength in any '' Business " is the confidence to say '' No " to a customer that is not following set policies. 

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

My issue isn't the dress code. It's people being bothered by what other people wear to the point it ruins their dinner. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

My issue isn't the dress code. It's people being bothered by what other people wear to the point it ruins their dinner. 

Usually I would agree to that. However, we also had an experience on one cruise (not Celebrity) which started to impact the overall feeling of the cruise. Each night we felt like sitting at McDonald´s rather than in a cruise ship´s dining room. Christmas Day (formal night) many groups came in wearing shorts, hoodies, caps and sunglasses. So yes, at some point we asked ourselves why we wanted to go on a cruise as something special... since then I can relate to the issue.

Edited by Miaminice

Just now, sanger727 said:

It's people being bothered by what other people wear to the point it ruins their dinner. 

Yup. that's me. If they are in my line of sight I have no hesitation to ask to change tables . We did that in Murano ( I mentioned the guy that bothered us several times on CC ).

People that dress like " A---- "  wearing hats , shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc into a dining room do bother me.

I know, I know, it's none of my business , but , it bothers me.

16 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Yup. that's me. If they are in my line of sight I have no hesitation to ask to change tables . We did that in Murano ( I mentioned the guy that bothered us several times on CC ).

People that dress like " A---- "  wearing hats , shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc into a dining room do bother me.

As you said, it's none of your business what I choose to wear. If the cruise line has an issue with that then that's between me and them. If you prefer to change tables, that's on you. I prefer not to socialize with people who are stuffy.

Just now, sanger727 said:

I prefer not to socialize with people who are stuffy.

We are not " stuffy " at all-- we conform to the policies as do 99% of other passengers !

Is it that hard or are you " Entitled " ? 

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We are not " stuffy " at all-- we conform to the policies as do 99% of other passengers !

Is it that hard or are you " Entitled " ? 

That is quite rude. First of all you have no idea of how I dress. I think I dress quite well myself and is perfectly in line with what the cruise line recommends. So, no, not "entitled" and not "that hard". Doesn't change the fact that you have no to right to judge me and who I am based on how I dress, whether it's good or bad. And I don't care for the attitude of people who do. There's much more to a  book than it's cover. I know perfectly lovely people who don't enjoy dressing up and I enjoy my time with them as much as with anybody else. I stand by the comment that preferring not to look at someone in jeans and a sweatshirt is stuffy. 

Edited by sanger727

21 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Maybe the problem is not so much what they are wearing, than it is that often (not always, but often) if people don’t care enough to follow the dress code, they will also behave in a fashion that disturbs others.

Having said that, I’ve had a couple lessons in tolerance - meeting a gentleman on a TA whose luggage was lost, and he had a couple of pairs of shorts and tshirts to make it 2 weeks and arguing with DH about appropriate attire at breakfast in a Blu.

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I prefer not to socialize with people who are stuffy.

I found that to be quite rude which prompted my response.

Hey, we don't know each other, but, I'll be happy to share a table with you any time .

10 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Maybe the problem is not so much what they are wearing, than it is that often (not always, but often) if people don’t care enough to follow the dress code, they will also behave in a fashion that disturbs others.

Having said that, I’ve had a couple lessons in tolerance - meeting a gentleman on a TA whose luggage was lost, and he had a couple of pairs of shorts and tshirts to make it 2 weeks and arguing with DH about appropriate attire at breakfast in a Blu.

Some people behave poorly in public and I have found that runs through the full spectrum of people. Where I draw my line is making assumptions about people based on their clothing. My experience is that some people enjoy dressing for dinner and some do not. For those that do not, vacation choices are quite limited within cruising. My husband falls into the category that does not enjoy dressing for dinner.  His issues centers around the fact that are told exactly what to wear every day at work (down to color of socks, jewelry, and makeup/hairstyles) and on vacation he enjoys not being told what to wear.  We enjoy cruising Norwegian cruise lines simply for the fact that they don't have a dress code so he can wear what he pleases. Sometimes there is a more unique itinerary that celebrity offers that Norwegian doesn't that leaves the dress code quandary. He has turned up to dinner in shorts before at which point he was turned away (a result he was completely comfortable with) leaving me to dine by myself (a result I was uncomfortable with). We have found an outfit that leaves him both comfortable and sufficiently complies with the dress code to not be turned away. We behave quite well in public together. I'm sure there are people on this board who would prefer to change tables than to look at us, and frankly, that is their problem. I'm not a fan of dress codes or who people who pushed for them to be enforced for this reason. I do enjoy dressing for dinner and looking nice, but I also enjoy spending time with my husband. 

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Where I draw my line is making assumptions about people based on their clothing.

I couldn't agree more, however, my point being (  IMO  ) wearing shorts, flip flops or other less than casual attire into a dining room is just not right. 

LOL--- I'm not sure I would dress for dinner in a way that I would be turned away and then leave ( you know who ) to eat by themselves only to face the consequences for the next 16 years.