MSC Not Tolerating Violation of New C-19 Health Protocols

Von & John

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It'll have to be sequined masks for evening wear! 

Ah Ha! 

What a great idea for an onboard craft! Do we still have those????? 

I sure do miss them. I've learned to tie enough knots, heck I am willing to go back to learning towel animals!

• Like 2

Just now, weregoingcruising said:

🤔 Dress code problem solved. Go on a nude cruise. No worries about other people abiding by a dress code.

EWWWW.  And Celebrity has charted those before.  I know because years ago we had a cruise cancelled because it was chartered by a nudist organization.  I just hope they do a thorough cleaning of all the seats after those cruises!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:12 PM, Pinboy said:

Same with us-- but wear it at the appropriate time at the appropriate place.

My point being-- We all spend several thousand dollars to go on the cruise , so show respect ( if that is the correct word ) to the other passengers and staff and follow the policies.  Never mind that BS " It's my rights and I don't feel comfortable , etc,etc ".

Respect is exactly the right word.  What people do in their own space is one thing.  Not my business.  What they do in space we share is another story.  The whole "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want" self-centeredness or the "what others wear is none of your business" castigation is a bunch of baloney (I would use another word but might get my post deleted by the admins🙂).  There is such a thing as ambiance.  It is one of the things I am paying for when I book a Celebrity cruise.  Dressing up nicely and then going into dinner sitting across from someone dressed for a garage sale definitely ruins the ambiance. Does it ruin my cruise?  No, but it takes the experience down a notch (or ten).   And it's also about following the rules.  Pick the cruise line whose rules meet your standards/desires, and then follow those rules.  I just don't get the selfish people who decide rules are for the other guy and I'll do whatever I darn well please.  But sad to say way too many of those people in society in general.  Explains alot of the world these days.

• Like 5

Thank you phoenix_dream.

The increasing selfishness of many people in western countries these days can been seen in cruising and many other venues and circumstances in the past years. 

For those who wish to violate the dress protocols on a cruise line, and for those who support this, do you do this at work and at a wedding?

When I purchase a product, I expect the provider to provide it, unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

The dress protocol violations on Celebrity have increased considerably and it is one of the reasons that we tend to avoid Celebrity in the past years. I have never seen the Celebrity staff ever challenge customers on Celebrity who are clearly violating the dress code ie wife beater shirts, baseball caps, ratty short shorts etc. Never.

The message I have gotten from Celebrity is - we print this - but we do not intend upon delivering it.

Go on Cunard, Oceania, Regent and Viking Ocean - yes guests follow the protocols almost 100% and it is a joy. 

So we are careful what we purchase to ensure we get what was Advertised, period.

• Like 1

Yesterday's WSJ had an article on MSC and others resuming sailing.   Below are first two paragraphs and link (don't believe it's paywall in US).  Wasn't aware they are able to administer and process tests onboard.

ROME—When one of the world’s biggest cruise lines, MSC Cruises SA, resumed sailing in the Mediterranean earlier this month, it tested all crew members and guests for the new coronavirus before letting them aboard the 5,000-person ship.

To minimize infection risk, the company has set up testing facilities in Italian ports, hired more medical staff and purchased its own machinery to process swab tests on board, should there be a need to test someone while at sea. Those efforts hurt the bottom line: Anti-Covid measures are costing MSC Cruises around €500,000 or $590,000 a week of travel, the company estimates.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-ships-cautiously-resume-sailing-in-europe-after-deadly-outbreaks-11598616000

8 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Yesterday's WSJ had an article on MSC and others resuming sailing.   Below are first two paragraphs and link (don't believe it's paywall in US).  Wasn't aware they are able to administer and process tests onboard.

ROME—When one of the world’s biggest cruise lines, MSC Cruises SA, resumed sailing in the Mediterranean earlier this month, it tested all crew members and guests for the new coronavirus before letting them aboard the 5,000-person ship.

To minimize infection risk, the company has set up testing facilities in Italian ports, hired more medical staff and purchased its own machinery to process swab tests on board, should there be a need to test someone while at sea. Those efforts hurt the bottom line: Anti-Covid measures are costing MSC Cruises around €500,000 or $590,000 a week of travel, the company estimates.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-ships-cautiously-resume-sailing-in-europe-after-deadly-outbreaks-11598616000

I guess it was worth it to them, I believe today marks the end of the 3rd cruise since they started sailing and I haven't seen any stories about anyone with Covid on the ships, neither crew or passengers....which is a VERY good thing for the rest of the cruising world.

• Like 1

Are rules really rules if they aren't enforced?

Is the speed limit really the speed limit if everyone knows you can exceed it by 5 mph without consequences?

Is there really a rule prohibiting saving pool lounges if everyone knows you can do so without consequences?

Is there really a dress code if everyone knows you can ignore it without consequences?

How often have you heard, or said, "you're really not supposed to, but everyone does"?

The ONLY rules that truly exist are those that are enforced.

Often the REAL rules aren't written, but are known...

A cop won't will pull you over if you're going 5 mph over the speed limit, but will if you're going 15 mph over.

You can eat in the MDR on formal (elegant, etc.) night without a coat or tie, but you can't go barefoot.

It would be nice if everyone followed the written rules, but it's the enforced rules that really matter.

52 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Is the speed limit really the speed limit if everyone knows you can exceed it by 5 mph without consequences?

LOL-- No disrespect to any Law Enforcement Officer on CC.

In Quebec the posted speed limit is just a " suggestion " , a Yellow light means " speed up " and Red light means " stop if you have time ". It used to be, probably not any more --- always have a $10 bill attached to your license and registration in case you were stopped. 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, sanger727 said:

Where I draw my line is making assumptions about people based on their clothing. 

So True! While not related to cruising, I had personal experience about being judged by what I was wearing. Many years ago I took an assignment in Texas and since my GF at the time would not come and live in sin with me. I asked her to marry me instead. Well we had been working in my Townhouse doing some heavy cleaning and packing and decided to go out to the local mall for something we needed. While we were walking through the mall, we stopped in a name brand jewelry store to look at some rings. Well I have to state, I was pretty scruffy looking, since we had been working all day, and was in shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I stated what I was looking for in a ring (Cut/Quality/etc.) and he kept trying to direct me to the low end junk. I finally got fed up enough and stated that with my Amex Card, I could probably just about buy anything I wanted in the store and proceeded to walk out. The manager quickly came over and tried to make amends, but alas I said, sorry, you guy blew it by making assumptions about my purchasing ability based on my appearance and while I will be buying a ring soon, it will not be from your shop. 

I believe you cannot judge a book by its cover. I had a friend that was a Bank Teller. There was a guy that came in raggedy clothes. The other tellers did not want to wait on him. The guy was a Multi Millionaire. 

DH always wears a polo shirt and slacks to dinner, I wear a skirt or skort. Appropriate and does not upset anyone. For evening chic, DH wears a long sleeve shirt and I wear a long skirt. 

We are not trying to be ostentatious nor dress like Mc Donalds customers. Just staying within guidelines. Oh, and we are NOT stuffy!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I believe you cannot judge a book by its cover. I had a friend that was a Bank Teller. There was a guy that came in raggedy clothes. The other tellers did not want to wait on him. The guy was a Multi Millionaire. 

DH always wears a polo shirt and slacks to dinner, I wear a skirt or skort. Appropriate and does not upset anyone. For evening chic, DH wears a long sleeve shirt and I wear a long skirt. 

We are not trying to be ostentatious nor dress like Mc Donalds customers. Just staying within guidelines. Oh, and we are NOT stuffy!

Where does one buy a skort these days, a golf club shop?  Not my idea of dining wear but we all have our own norms.

Very true- one SHOULD not judge a bookd after it´s cover. BUT most people do. Wether you like it or not- people make up their minds on first sight- if you come dressed shabby you may ( not must - mind) be treated " shabby"!

Edited by Germancruiser

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Where does one buy a skort these days, a golf club shop?  Not my idea of dining wear but we all have our own norms.

I get mine from Macy's. You can't tell their skorts.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-pull-on-skort-created-for-macys?ID=11381509&CategoryID=5344&swatchColor=Deep Black

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

EWWWW.  And Celebrity has charted those before.  I know because years ago we had a cruise cancelled because it was chartered by a nudist organization.  I just hope they do a thorough cleaning of all the seats after those cruises!

They actually sit on towels in the dining room.  I had dinner with an officer and he told us stories of the nude cruises.  Quite funny!

As I mentioned in a previous post, it is inaccurate to say that Celebrity doesn't challenge anyone on the dress code. We have certainly seen it done. 

You can think what you want about following a dress code. But I can't for the life of me imagine letting someone chooses to wear affect my good time and I don't choose to socialize with people who do.  I prefer people who are more live and let live. At the end of the day it's Celebrity's rules and it's not your place or my place to tell them that they aren't enforcing them correctly. 

And frankly, as far as the "ambiance" argument goes. For Murano, I might buy it, it is quite an upscale place and we did feel compelled to dress accordingly. The MDR, even if everyone was wearing ballgrowns and tuxes, doesn't have the ambiance of an upscale restaurant. 

My 2 cents is that dress codes are quickly becoming a thing of the past and good riddance. As people from my generation become the "old farts" on the cruises, I can't see anyone still demanding that they be adhered to. Relaxing dress codes has become the trend and will likely continue, at least on the main stream lines. I enjoy dressing for dinner on occasion. But not making an "occasion" out of dinner with hair, makeup, fancy clothes, and 2 hour dinner nightly. Very often you just need to eat a pleasant dinner so that you can make it to the 7:30 show. And I appreciate and show that with my dollars cruise lines that offer that as an option without telling you to go to the  buffet.

Edited by sanger727
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, riredsox said:

They actually sit on towels in the dining room.  I had dinner with an officer and he told us stories of the nude cruises.  Quite funny!

LOL--- I was just thinking--- No, I better not say it --- Probably 99 % are thinking the same thing. 

With due respect to most passengers on Celebrity , IMO, a nude cruise would not be " eye candy ".

Now, one time there was this --- etc, etc--- so I said to myself ------- Yup.

17 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- No disrespect to any Law Enforcement Officer on CC.

In Quebec the posted speed limit is just a " suggestion " , a Yellow light means " speed up " and Red light means " stop if you have time ". It used to be, probably not any more --- always have a $10 bill attached to your license and registration in case you were stopped. 

That is an interesting take.  I would not recommend trying that in the US. The bail money you would need for the bribery charge would be more than your ticket would have been.

Just now, sanger727 said:

That is an interesting take.  I would not recommend trying that in the US. The bail money you would need for the bribery charge would be more than your ticket would have been.

Easy, easy--- Years ago we said that as a joke , meaning you would pay the ticket ahead of time and not have to go to the bank and pay it. It was a joke--- " Quebec style ". 

37 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Easy, easy--- Years ago we said that as a joke , meaning you would pay the ticket ahead of time and not have to go to the bank and pay it. It was a joke--- " Quebec style ". 

$10 for a traffic ticket? Either many years ago or things are way different in Canada. A traffic ticket here runs around $150

Edited by sanger727

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

$10 for a traffic ticket? Either many years ago or things are way different in Canada. A traffic ticket here runs around $150

Yes, it was a very long time ago--  

by the way,  earlier I forgot to mention that the courteous thing to do while driving here is to honk your horn before going through a red light.  

13 hours ago, riredsox said:

Virtually every one of the nude cruises (never seen an exception) requires clothing in the dining rooms and specialties.

Not the case, though, in the buffets.

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Virtually every one of the nude cruises (never seen an exception) requires clothing in the dining rooms and specialties.

Not the case, though, in the buffets.

I would be concerned about burning myself in a very tender place! I guess it is a new way to play hot potato!

On 8/31/2020 at 8:45 AM, sanger727 said:

At the end of the day it's Celebrity's rules and it's not your place or my place to tell them that they aren't enforcing them correctly. 

I would think that the dress protocols are there for the benefit of the other passengers to enjoy a shared evening meal in a classier style. Seems weird  then, to pronounce that it has no impact on diners who try to be part of a shared experience when someone dresses down and decides other people are not allowed to notice.

58 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I would think that the dress protocols are there for the benefit of the other passengers to enjoy a shared evening meal in a classier style. Seems weird  then, to pronounce that it has no impact on diners who try to be part of a shared experience when someone dresses down and decides other people are not allowed to notice.

What does this have to do with:  “MSC Not Tolerating Violation of New C-19 Health Protocols“, the title of this tread?

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1