Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. Here is another public domain image of somewhere I've been in the past, continuing my earlier theme of showing historic ships (SS United States, USS Constellation, USS Intrepid).

1352343976_WhereintheWorld(90).thumb.jpg.e7a4eaca09bb5ee1b3adb95bc69add43.jpg

I've been on that warship. It's the Greek cruiser Georgios Averof...

1248960069_GeorgiosAverof2RichardatPalaioFalirp.thumb.jpg.fadddb77e1e80963a358553f6a333a8a.jpg

It's a museum at the port of Palaio Faliro near Athens and Piraeus...

1261016181_GeorgiosAverof1atPalaioFalirp.thumb.jpg.2f2f67ecf8c264f3de72e336cc480821.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

1248960069_GeorgiosAverof2RichardatPalaioFalirp.thumb.jpg.fadddb77e1e80963a358553f6a333a8a.jpg

1261016181_GeorgiosAverof1atPalaioFalirp.thumb.jpg.2f2f67ecf8c264f3de72e336cc480821.jpg

I do believe however that @bluemarble photograph of the  Georgios Averof  was taken at Thessalonika, Greece. 

My Thessalonika presumption is based on tracking her down through another  excellent forum...

https://museumships.us/scuttlebutt/viewtopic.php?t=24

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I do believe however that @bluemarble photograph of the  Georgios Averof  was taken at Thessalonika, Greece. 

My Thessalonika presumption is based on tracking her down through another  excellent forum...

https://museumships.us/scuttlebutt/viewtopic.php?t=24

Quite right on both points, @Solent Richard. When that image I posted was taken, Georgios Averof was in Thessalonika / Thessaloniki, Greece from our unseen ports list.  One of the photo spheres on Google Maps / Street View even manages to show her at the port of Thessaloniki during her time there.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, sfred said:

The logo on the jackets is for "Mustang Survival" which is a US/Canada company.  We're out of Canada ports on the unseen list, so that implies US.  You mentioned bears, and that implies Alaska.  So I'll try a guess of  Wrangell, Alaska?  Google maps shows it as a rather thinly settled area.

Well Done!

I wonder if I can find anything similar for the other places where I don't have 'port' photos.

• Like 1

Here is a public domain photo of a port I've been to for a weekend break, while doing a work project at this country's major city.  Mrs. sfred was heading back to Australia from one of her work trips and stopped by to join me for a long weekend.  We hired a car to drive to this Cunard port, a journey of about 3-4 hours. 

We actually did go for lunch at the riverside food hawker stand shown in the photo.  In google maps street view, the hawker stand building still looks the same, but the attractive lamp posts along the river railings have been replaced with a more modern design.

image.thumb.png.b3b850cb96a08c1b0065ab5ea24684e6.png

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Here is a public domain photo of a port I've been to for a weekend break, while doing a work project at this country's major city.  Mrs. sfred was heading back to Australia from one of her work trips and stopped by to join me for a long weekend.  We hired a car to drive to this Cunard port, a journey of about 3-4 hours. 

We actually did go for lunch at the riverside food hawker stand shown in the photo.  In google maps street view, the hawker stand building still looks the same, but the attractive lamp posts along the river railings have been replaced with a more modern design.

image.thumb.png.b3b850cb96a08c1b0065ab5ea24684e6.png

Well, I don't know why I can't find this specific spot in google maps street view. That gives me some pause in making my guess on where this one is. But I'll go ahead and give it a go anyway.

The legible fragments of the signs inside the restaurant give the impression this is Malaysia. I can match the railings and these stylish (unreplaced) lamp posts in photos from 10+ years ago of the esplanade in Kuantan. Kuantan is about a 3-4 hour drive from the Kuala Lumpur airport so that fits too.

I'm going to say this one is Kuantan, Malaysia.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Well, I don't know why I can't find this specific spot in google maps street view. That gives me some pause in making my guess on where this one is. But I'll go ahead and give it a go anyway.

The legible fragments of the signs inside the restaurant give the impression this is Malaysia. I can match the railings and these stylish (unreplaced) lamp posts in photos from 10+ years ago of the esplanade in Kuantan. Kuantan is about a 3-4 hour drive from the Kuala Lumpur airport so that fits too.

I'm going to say this one is Kuantan, Malaysia.

Kuantan is correct, well done @bluemarble!

You can see some google photos of the spot by clicking on the Tebing Sungai Kuantan location along the river esplanade.  There is also a photosphere image taken from the small river pier.  Specific restaurantsthat appear on google maps are Planet&Co and  Barakah coffee. 

The location also has good views of the big Kuantan signboard on the other side of the river, which was one of the reasons we selected this place for our lunch stop.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 3:08 AM, bluemarble said:

This photo shows QE sailing off into the distance after departing port a couple hours ago. Rather than identifying the port this time, identify the landmark shown in the foreground of this photo.

image.thumb.png.6982529ddf4f21ccd7f9e636df0eaf95.png

On 9/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, l2luv2cruise said:

The Nab Tower Lighthouse.

I'm going to promote this photo to our list of ports we've seen on this thread. For the second time recently QE is at Nab Anchorage. She arrived there last evening and may be there three nights this time before she is scheduled to be back in Southampton on Aug 2nd. I think Nab Anchorage ought to qualify as another one of Cunard's layup ports.

15 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Here's one from a land trip although I have visited by Cunard ship as well

CIMG0535.JPG

Hi @Host Hattie.  Very nice photo.  This is Dun Laoghaire, Ireland.  The tall church steeple at the left of the photo is Ireland's National Maritime Museum. 

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Hi @Host Hattie.  Very nice photo.  This is Dun Laoghaire, Ireland.  The tall church steeple at the left of the photo is Ireland's National Maritime Museum. 

Correct and yes @bluemarble it was taken in 2008 when we stayed in Dun Laoghaire. We tendered in from QM2 in 2015 but I can't find any photographs from that visit for the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think this is from one of the ports on your list, maybe not the port itself though.

IMG_20210801_140208390.jpg

I think this one is Kos, Greece. This looks like a view of Kefalos Beach and the islet of Kastri in the bay at the southwest end of the island.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Rijeka?

Yes indeed. It was so long ago when I visited that it was Rijeka, Yugoslavia at the time. Now of course it's Rijeka, Croatia.

I found some old Cunard itineraries listing "Fiume" as a destination. I thought I had found a new port for our list only to discover Fiume was an old name for Rijeka.

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Interestingly, Fiume was where Carpathia was aiming for, when she had to divert to rescue those in the Titanic's lifeboats. 

Interesting indeed. It's great to see how informative this thread has turned out to be in so many respects.