Who's feeling lucky?

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

2021 seems safer than ever. I read lots of news about it and I am pretty sure now that by the end of the year the vaccine will be distributed to all major countries of the world. If they manage to do it this year, you can be sure that 2021 and 2022 are safe starting this December 

You are more of an optimist than I am. 😁 I think mid next year could be optimistic, but I am hoping. 😁 I don't think we will have to wait several years.

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

2021 seems safer than ever. I read lots of news about it and I am pretty sure now that by the end of the year the vaccine will be distributed to all major countries of the world. If they manage to do it this year, you can be sure that 2021 and 2022 are safe starting this December 

Even if a vaccine was available at the end of the year it is very unlikely that the Australian governments will allow cruising straight away. Mid-2021 is probably the earliest and may only allow Aussies and Kiwis. Australian borders will not open to other international visitors until there is clear evidence that the virus is under control, and it may be on a specified country basis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We'll see. I would not be surprised if cruising does not return for a year or two, and therefore our cruise booked for August 2021 would be cancelled. However, I don't think it will be a long time.

I am thinking that another year or two IS a LONG time 🙂 Both in terms of the Financial viability of the Companies and the technical viability of the ships - ships don't like sitting around in the water doing nothing. 

15 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I am thinking that another year or two IS a LONG time 🙂 Both in terms of the Financial viability of the Companies and the technical viability of the ships - ships don't like sitting around in the water doing nothing. 

The cruise lines will not survive one more year, let alone two more years of no cruises.

56 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I understood your previous post to mean that you thought cruising would not return by August, 2021.🙂 I agree that another year is a long time, both for the companies and for the ships. Let's hope that the companies and the ships survive so we can all cruise again.

13 hours ago, bazzaw said:

What I was saying and continue to say is that these lockdowns/restrictions are unsustainable. I am also saying that the Coronavirus IS a big deal - in fact, much bigger than many/most can comprehend (as illustrated by the number of people on our Planet) and the current view of trying to hide under the bedsheets and hoping it will go away is unsustainable. This view alone will be enough to prevent any cruising for many years to come- so therefore be very wary about booking (and paying for) future cruises for a LONG time. 

That's as confusing and like I'd said:

1) "lockdowns/restrictions are unsustainable" - so cruising should restart

2) "current view of trying to hide under the bedsheets and hoping it will go away is unsustainable" - repeat of point 1

3) "This view alone will be enough to prevent any cruising for many years to come" - this contradicts your point 1 and 2

Cruises have stopped AS they are waiting for it to go away. But you keep saying that these "restrictions" and "hopes" are "unsustainable" - ergo you expect cruises to restart ASAP. By then saying that they will prevent any cruising for years to come you're saying the opposite, that the lockdowns and restrictions are very sustainable.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by The_Big_M

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

That's as confusing and like I'd said:

1) "lockdowns/restrictions are unsustainable" - so cruising should restart

2) "current view of trying to hide under the bedsheets and hoping it will go away is unsustainable" - repeat of point 1

3) "This view alone will be enough to prevent any cruising for many years to come" - this contradicts your point 1 and 2

Cruises have stopped AS they are waiting for it to go away. But you keep saying that these "restrictions" and "hopes" are "unsustainable" - ergo you expect cruises to restart ASAP. By then saying that they will prevent any cruising for years to come you're saying the opposite, that the lockdowns and restrictions are very sustainable.

You can't have it both ways.

Cruising is only one aspect of this - it is the entire containment cum elimination strategy that is unsustainable. The reason that there will be no cruising for a long time is because the adherents of the containment/elimination strategy are currently dominant. 

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Cruising is only one aspect of this - it is the entire containment cum elimination strategy that is unsustainable. The reason that there will be no cruising for a long time is because the adherents of the containment/elimination strategy are currently dominant. 

That is not the only reason.  Many people like me don't wish to cruise, nor fly long haul, until they feel it is safe to do so.  I have friends in the US who are currently worrying about the second wave, after NY and Florida suffered so badly in the first wave.

We are lucky in Australia because we can learn from overseas experiences.

Edited by MMDown Under

Maybe I'm an optimist but I booked a 7 night Blue lagoon cruise in Fiji for June 2022. I'm thinking even if the world isn't back to normal we will have a Pacific bubble & a vaccine by then. Only 68 passengers. 

Edited by joejoe 59

31 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

Maybe I'm an optimist but I booked a 7 night Blue lagoon cruise in Fiji for June 2022. I'm thinking even if the world isn't back to normal we will have a Pacific bubble & a vaccine by then. Only 68 passengers. 

Lovely, I did one of those back in 1988 as part of my honeymoon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We are really looking forward to it even though it's a long time away.

If things open up out of Brisbane next year we would cruise, providing there is a vaccine & a ship😁

You had a nice boat to honeymoon on, we had a houseboat on the Noosa river back in the 80's😁

On 8/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, joejoe 59 said:

On 8/31/2020 at 1:27 PM, MicCanberra said:

joejoe I hope it comes off for you - we did a 4N Yasawa cruise on their friendly competitor Captain Cook cruises last year. Similar sized boat - great time.

mic, I'm not sure Rosie could have been married as early as '88 🙂

Tourism in Fiji is doing it really tough at this time. I truly hope that somehow it comes good at least for a Sth Pacific/Aus/NZ bubble sooner rather than later.

I am being quite optimistic, having booked a pacific islands cruise out of sydney for april school holidays next year. I figured by the time I have to pay full fare in Janauary we should have a fairly good idea if it will be ( relatively) safe to go , and it gives me something to look forward too. if it looks dicey then i can cancel the booking before full fare is required. As we needed an accessible cabin we took advantage of some of the special about. So i will live in hope that it goes ahead.

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

joejoe I hope it comes off for you - we did a 4N Yasawa cruise on their friendly competitor Captain Cook cruises last year. Similar sized boat - great time.

mic, I'm not sure Rosie could have been married as early as '88 🙂

Tourism in Fiji is doing it really tough at this time. I truly hope that somehow it comes good at least for a Sth Pacific/Aus/NZ bubble sooner rather than later.

Thank you, it's nice to have this to look forward to anyway & it's far enough away to have a chance of going🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1