Shuttle from Houston airport (IAH) to Galveston cruise terminal

cruiseguy1016

We will (hopefully) going on a cruise out of Galveston Feb. 28th next year. We are going to fly in a couple days early to spend some time sightseeing and relaxing in the Houston/Galveston area. We will be renting a car to get around. The only car rental agency that I can find that has a dropoff at the pier is Enterprise. The cost for a one way rental is ridiculous. I plan on returning the car to IAH and finding a shuttle to take us to the pier. We'll also need a shuttle back to IAH after the cruise. I'm looking for recommendations for shuttle service to/from the cruise terminal.

Maybe consider harbor house. Its next to the pier so you can watch the ship come in and walk over to board. Expensive though, and sometimes booking direct you have a 2 night stay minimum which you can usually get around by booking on a big box site. 

... not that uber costs that much the morning of the cruise. It's only about 3.5 miles across the island if you stay along the beach on seawall blvd. 

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We will (hopefully) going on a cruise out of Galveston Feb. 28th next year. We are going to fly in a couple days early to spend some time sightseeing and relaxing in the Houston/Galveston area. We will be renting a car to get around. The only car rental agency that I can find that has a dropoff at the pier is Enterprise. The cost for a one way rental is ridiculous. I plan on returning the car to IAH and finding a shuttle to take us to the pier. We'll also need a shuttle back to IAH after the cruise. I'm looking for recommendations for shuttle service to/from the cruise terminal.

@cruiseguy1016

Howdy Ken! Let me be the first to welcome you to Texas if you do sail out of Galveston next year! emo22.gif 

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Gulf Coast Departures forum where it will be more on-topic. That's the best place for discussing Houston/Galveston hotel, transportation, dining & embarkation information. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@cruiseguy1016

Howdy Ken! Let me be the first to welcome you to Texas if you do sail out of Galveston next year! emo22.gif 

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Gulf Coast Departures forum where it will be more on-topic. That's the best place for discussing Houston/Galveston hotel, transportation, dining & embarkation information. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

That didn't work out very well. Before you moved it, I had 3 responses fairly quick. Since you moved it, I've had none. I was looking for more input on this and I knew my friends on the RCI boards would be very helpful, as always.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

That didn't work out very well. Before you moved it, I had 3 responses fairly quick. Since you moved it, I've had none. I was looking for more input on this and I knew my friends on the RCI boards would be very helpful, as always.

@cruiseguy1016

Howdy again Ken!

I appreciate your feelings! However when asked to volunteer as a Host, we are given a Moderator Handbook by the Community Manager LauraS that we must follow. Also, there are the Guidelines all members agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. Note the Posting and You! section states the following:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Due to your topic, this is the correct forum for your thread. It would have been moved here by any other Host, Administrator or Manager too. We must all follow the established protocol. I am sincerely sorry this forum makes you unhappy. At this time it does not have the same "member traffic" now as it did before COVID-19. That is just the way it is on many of the other forums too. 

To help you further, I used the Search feature on this forum. Here are some threads that may be helpful:

Transportation from Houston Airport to Galveston

transport to Galveston port

Galveston shuttle services

If you need help on how to use the Search feature on this or any of our other forums, check out the following threads from the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum:
Search engine

can you search for a thread

how to search for something

BTW, I found Ground Transportation for you regarding IAH on the visithoustontexas.com website. Also, the Airport Transportation section on galveston.com the Official Tourism Website for Galveston Island, Texas.

Now I have done what I can to help you, so now you can help me by having the best cruise you ever had next February! And be sure to submit a review for possible publication in the Members Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Updated information.
  • Like 1

Best thing I ever did from IAH to Galveston was use an Uber, that is once they started letting them drop off.  Heck my Uber driver asked if i minded him actually ending the ride while on Harbor Drive and he already had a return fare by the time I was dropped off.

because Uber was sketchy into the actual port for a while, I had a restaurant address on file that was a block away and would have walked across the street.

Quick and easy

• 2 months later...

A couple of points to add to the discussion

The port of Galveston now has an agreement with Lyft for drop off

Port of Galveston, TX - Official Website

When you rent the car at IAH check the drop off charge at Hobby, the shuttle/uber/lyft ride will be cheaper and the difference may make up for the drop off charge.

Consider drop off the day before and uber to Galveston and spending your last night there.  Most hotels offer cheap or free shuttles to pier.  A lot less stress when making your way across Houston the day off.

To get back to IAH there are a lot of options found in other threads 

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, CoW mAn said:

Galveston Express has always worked great for me

Thanks for the tip.  We're eying the Galveston - to - Port Liberty repositioning on RCCL Adventure next year but for this trip, learning driving down from Dallas and parking won't cut it and "Alternated methods" will need tried.