Now the sadness is starting :(

reeinaz

16 hours ago, clo said:

Did I do the math right and OP had six cruises booked in and eight or nine month period? Is that what you usually do? If so I can understand that you're feeling something not good. Perhaps going forward break up your travel so it's not all cruising. Granted, right now we really can't and shouldn't leave the US but what about road trips? We're lucky that last fall we bought a small motor home and we've taken it out for a week or more three times in the last three months. And, no, we're not sad about the lack of intl. travel. We're sad about all the people continuing to die and get sick with no end in sight. 😞

That's what we're doing - rv trips. It's really no problem maintaining social distancing, and it's a good way to get out and about right now.

Just now, Sea Hag said:

That's what we're doing - rv trips. It's really no problem maintaining social distancing, and it's a good way to get out and about right now.

Unfortunately many don't have that option and I understand that rentals are in HIGH demand. But, yes, we went in one grocery and ate outdoors at two restaurants in ten days.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Unfortunately many don't have that option and I understand that rentals are in HIGH demand. But, yes, we went in one grocery and ate outdoors at two restaurants in ten days.

I'm sure rentals are in high demand, and I'm also sure that they're high in cost. They always are. So far since the pandemic hit we've taken everything with us and not needed to go into either groceries or restaurants. Hope to be able to do that for the foreseeable future. 

1 minute ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm sure rentals are in high demand, and I'm also sure that they're high in cost. They always are. So far since the pandemic hit we've taken everything with us and not needed to go into either groceries or restaurants. Hope to be able to do that for the foreseeable future. 

We needed a loaf of bread and a carton of milk 🙂  Our freezer/fridge is a decent size and there's a good bit of other storage.

We were the little kid on this block 🙂 

motorhome.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

Do you have a 'status' that will let you in? Lucky you.

No, I don't have anything special.

Really anyone can cross into Mexico if they want.  The land border is supposed to be closed for "essential travel" only but the Mexican side really doesn't enforce this.  The US land crossing side is more serious.   However, they will always let in citizens and permanent residents return home. 

Air travel appears to be wide open for both Mexicans and US citizens and permanent residents.   As far as I can tell, the rules regarding essential travel seem to be applied differently at the airports and anyone travelling legally (Mexican or American) can travel via air between the two countries.  

The Cross Border Express (https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/  ) linking the San Diego area to the Tijuana airport is open for those wishing to fly on Mexican domestic flights.  Again, the US entry side of the CBX is a bit sticky for non residents and citizens, so I would recommend Mexicans flying into the US land in a US airport as the CBX is technically a land border. 

23 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I was relieved when my April cruise was cancelled. It meant I didn't have to make the decision to go or not. I wasn't surprised when my August and September cruises were cancelled and had actually purchased a puppy, "knowing" that I wouldn't be going anywhere this summer. I was disappointed when my October cruise was cancelled because I really thought cruising would be back by then. Now I'm sad from deciding that I'm cancelling my 2 week December cruise this weekend because I wouldn't go on a 2 week cruise anytime soon. I have a 4 day cruise in mid January that I am PRAYING sails. But I made sure to purchase a refundable plane ticket just in case. All of these cruises were booked pre COVID so I've been looking forward to them for a while after my very first cruise last December.

What has been your emotional rollercoaster as it pertains to cruising/not cruising during this time?

I totally agree with you. On average, I cruise 60 days a year, so I’m really missing it. Some other forms of travel - like camping - just can’t be compared to a cruise vacation. 

I had a Jan cruise booked on Regent, but NCL (Regent is a NCLH line) is looking very scary right now. I do have several refundable deposits down on other cruises though. 

4 hours ago, clo said:

We needed a loaf of bread and a carton of milk 🙂  Our freezer/fridge is a decent size and there's a good bit of other storage.

motorhome.jpg

I hear you on that! Ours is a tad under 25' so we're nearly always the little kid on the block. Surrounded by the big ones that block out the sun.

winnie.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Ours is a tad under 25'

We're 23' but with a rear slide which gives us a queen bed. Those big ones are incredible...and incredibly expensive AND you have to tow. We love this one.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

We're 23' but with a rear slide which gives us a queen bed. Those big ones are incredible...and incredibly expensive AND you have to tow. We love this one.

We love our little one too. We have twin beds and a driver side slide with the sofa and refrigerator. Big enough for the two of us and the cat.

3 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Some other forms of travel - like camping - just can’t be compared to a cruise vacation. 

No, but we had a wonderful lunch in SF - outdoors with every form for social distancing, masks, no touch menus.

ETA: oh and our daughter and SIL, in their 40s, would far rather camp than go on a cruise.

20200903_121017 - Edited.jpg

20200903_121022 - Edited.jpg

20200903_121823 - Edited.jpg

20200903_125420 - Edited.jpg

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

motorhome.jpg

I did a road trip around France and we were going along the French Riviera and the map showed a look out point coming up so we thought to stop there. Round the bend there was a monster RV parked taking the whole space😱. I had never seen a vehicle saw huge in my life. We squeezed our tiny little rental car just behind it barely fitting😂. I honestly wanted to knock and ask how they drove that thing on this tiny winding road😝

I was in the middle of travelling through Japan when we were informed our country was shutting the borders so I am sad that we didn't get to finish our Japan trip. There was so much that we wanted to visit 😔. I will be glad when we can travel again for now I am trying to enjoy some domestic trips even exploring my city. All you can do is take every day as it comes and be grateful things aren't any worst🤗

On 9/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, neverbeenhere said:

No sadness at all. We are savings money like the world will go on forever. Since the wife works with Covid positive folks often, we won't be cruising until "22. As long as I can arraign my clients correctly, "22 is going to be the year of cruises.

Yeah. That's an upside for me too. Being able to stack up my unused cruise budget and vacation days. But it still stings a little every time I cancel my pre-approved PTO.

• Like 1

We cut our  winter land trip to Mexico short by a few weeks when we were advised to be home by March 23 or so.

Like others we are not spending very much.  Very little in fact.  Our only travel expense these days is paying for gas.  Day trips to the mountains, etc.

Not looking forward to spending the winter at home.  Not at all. 

Perhaps I am overly optimistic but I am following air prices for a potential trip to southern Europe in May/June.  Not booking, just looking and watching.  Surprisingly, the fares are comparable to what we paid last fall.  Cannot imagine any travel before then, and even this is highly questionable.

Edited by iancal

We cruised  just before Covid shut everything down (disembarked Mar 5, 2020) , so the cruise fever is not too bad yet, but almost ALL our travel has been cancelled. Because I work on  a modified  academic calendar, we usually do a LOT of traveling in the summer. We had to cancel our  trip to Seattle to see my son, our trip to New Orleans for my class reunion (which we also has to cancel) , a beach trip with our Florida friends, and a trip to RI and New York state to visit friends and family.  We're missing our fall break getaway (since my university eliminated fall break).  We're getting stir crazy.

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

We cruised  just before Covid shut everything down (disembarked Mar 5, 2020) , so the cruise fever is not too bad yet, but almost ALL our travel has been cancelled. Because I work on  a modified  academic calendar, we usually do a LOT of traveling in the summer. We had to cancel our  trip to Seattle to see my son, our trip to New Orleans for my class reunion (which we also has to cancel) , a beach trip with our Florida friends, and a trip to RI and New York state to visit friends and family.  We're missing our fall break getaway (since my university eliminated fall break).  We're getting stir crazy.

We're really lucky that we bought a small motor home last fall. Lucky cause the market for them has gone nuts obviously. So we've done three West Coast road trips, the first one being when our daughter suffered some pretty serious injuries from a bike accident and we knew we couldn't fly to Seattle. Social distancing in one of those is so easy. Hope you get to do some local travel soon.

We all miss it very much. We would sail tomorrow if we were able to.

With that said, life throws all kinds of curveballs. Instead of moping about them, find something else. We've done some other travel. While it's not the same, we've been able to find other great times

My goal is to cruise at least once a year, and luckily we sailed on Feb 2020 right before everything shut down, so I got my 2020 fix in! I didn't have to deal with the rollercoaster of cancellations because I simply didn't have anything else planned until next year. 

We did take a vacation in Puerto Rico for a week in July (very socially distanced, but it was wonderful). I've also been traveling for work, so I've been flying and staying at hotels on a weekly basis during the entire pandemic.

We live on a park for the elderly, and I don't think that many people have left for a night elsewhere since lockdown. The most daring thing we do is going to local shops via vast loops of country side, so that a nearby village shop trip might take an hour and more just to collect bread and eggs. 😄

We've noticed that younger family members come and stay in self catering cottages rather than staying with their elderly parents. 

And now that the UK covid figures are growing again, I don't think many of us will change our ways.