New Enhancements to Royal Phone App

Agreed.  While I understand what they're trying to accomplish, there's a pretty big difference between boarding at 11:00am like I tend to do and boarding at 5:00pm as I've seen offered for boarding times in some upcoming cruises.  

Unfortunately, I would expect them to attempt to (further) monetize the desire of some cruisers to board earlier.  

As someone who must fly in night before, late times are going to create an issue with hotel check out times on embarkation day. I’ve noticed many people in the terminal before 11am, some probably have little control due to being kicked out of hotels.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

One of the things I like the most about cruises is you put your wallet,phone and everything else in the safe and forget about them.

By the sound of it you are have to have a device to eat and drink.E1F100F5-9940-443C-9054-530F690A923D.thumb.png.0598ef25a93957fd4c396ac5865af0f9.png

I agree I usually keep my phone in my purse and I never bring my purse on cruises.  Most of my cruise attire does not have pockets.  Dresses skirts bathing suit etc etc. 

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

One of the things I like the most about cruises is you put your wallet,phone and everything else in the safe and forget about them.

By the sound of it you are have to have a device to eat and drink.E1F100F5-9940-443C-9054-530F690A923D.thumb.png.0598ef25a93957fd4c396ac5865af0f9.png

Ah, yes, contact-less menus.  Have been using them for months here on Cayman; the government required this or single-use menus.  Guests seem to like them better than using menus that hundreds of others have touched. 

12 hours ago, Smiles1984 said:

All I want to be able to do is message my other half when we're at sea without having to buy 2 internet packages!

That means dh has to have a smartphone and bring it!  Not likely.   He says phones are not computers and are not smart.  And he used to program GPS satellites.  

Hopefully it will be a limited time thing. What the heck are you supposed to do, if your hotel check out is at 11:00 am and you can't check in to the cruise until 2:30 pm?  Really? Sitting on the curb with your luggage is yet another unappealing aspect of future cruises. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Btw Royal app never required paid wifi.

Yes, that's correct -- from the RCI website:

"Once onboard, you can use the app for free by connecting to your ship’s Guest Wi-Fi network. You do not need to purchase an internet package to use the app."

4 hours ago, Coralc said:

Hopefully it will be a limited time thing. What the heck are you supposed to do, if your hotel check out is at 11:00 am and you can't check in to the cruise until 2:30 pm?  Really? Sitting on the curb with your luggage is yet another unappealing aspect of future cruises. 

I had a sailing on Celebrity out of Shanghai back in October of last year.  My hotel check out was 11:00am and my boarding appointment was at 4:30pm.  The hotel had a luggage consignment (most hotels have an area where you can leave your luggage for a few hours) I left my luggage at the consignment, took a tour of Shanghai, went back to the hotel to pick up my luggage and was at the port at 4:30pm for a speedy and smooth embarkation.  Ship sailed at 6:30 with a beautiful lit up backdrop of Shanghai.  Worked like clockwork.   

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is anyone else having issues with the app. by the way? My cruise Oasis August 22, 2021 is there but it's just a box and when I click the box it says working on it fun. There is no info other than that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Btw Royal app never required paid wifi.

No but there is no built in messaging service. So if my partner and I want to message each other while on board, we both need an internet package. On a 12 night cruise at £10 per person per day that's an extra £240 just to be able to say "where are we meeting" or "I couldn't find a quiet spot so I've gone back to the cabin" etc. We don't care about the internet as such, we just want to be able to contact each other.

38 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

No but there is no built in messaging service. So if my partner and I want to message each other while on board, we both need an internet package. On a 12 night cruise at £10 per person per day that's an extra £240 just to be able to say "where are we meeting" or "I couldn't find a quiet spot so I've gone back to the cabin" etc. We don't care about the internet as such, we just want to be able to contact each other.

They are working on a free chat feature fleet wide.  It was only available on Harmony and Allure without need for WiFi or any additional cost. 

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I had a sailing on Celebrity out of Shanghai back in October of last year.  My hotel check out was 11:00am and my boarding appointment was at 4:30pm.  The hotel had a luggage consignment (most hotels have an area where you can leave your luggage for a few hours) I left my luggage at the consignment, took a tour of Shanghai, went back to the hotel to pick up my luggage and was at the port at 4:30pm for a speedy and smooth embarkation.  Ship sailed at 6:30 with a beautiful lit up backdrop of Shanghai.  Worked like clockwork.   

We had the same experience when we sailed out of Puerto Rico. I don't know if the hotels in Florida accommodate because we fly in the same day when we leave from there. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

4 hours ago, denatravels said:

My next Royal cruise is Anthem from Southampton. It’s not like I’m just walking over to the ship. Probably taking the bus from Victoria station but there aren’t a lot of available times to choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which cruise?  Our November 1st cruise is canceled. 

6 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Is anyone else having issues with the app. by the way? My cruise Oasis August 22, 2021 is there but it's just a box and when I click the box it says working on it fun. There is no info other than that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It is too far away. They do not have schedules for entertainment etc yet.

• Like 1