Cruise line execs call for return to service in United States

jimbo5544

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I just have my doubts about carnival enforcing it. As pointed out some liquor is stopped but I'd guess not most of it. 

With the CDC dictating  everything there's no way they won't enforce. There could be fines and shutdowns just like city health departments do for restaurants. Not wearing a hat or pants is minor and can't be compared to the rules for sailing in this environment.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

With the CDC dictating  everything there's no way they won't enforce. There could be fines and shutdowns just like city health departments do for restaurants. Not wearing a hat or pants is minor and can't be compared to the rules for sailing in this environment.

Forget the CDC, the liability Carnival faces if people get sick or die because Carnival didn't enforce what they said they would.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Forget the CDC, the liability Carnival faces if people get sick or die because Carnival didn't enforce what they said they would.

And we all know some really bad decisions were made, especially in regard to princess cruises that went out past where they should have been stopped and massive law suits. Holland Am too another carnival Corp cruiseline they had to beg florida to let in and the bad press it caused because they should have stopped cruises sooner. 

Oddly enough it was carnival corp, not ncl or rcl who caused the bad press for everyone. Yep I feel so much better that rules will be enforced and the almighty dollar wouldnt be center for carnival corp. Let's hope they woke up. I dont have anything that tells me from the past they will strictly enforce rules. We will see. I'm glad you all think the fear of cdc will get them to do it. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

And we all know some really bad decisions were made, especially in regard to princess cruises that went out past where they should have been stopped and massive law suits. Holland Am too another carnival Corp cruiseline they had to beg florida to let in and the bad press it caused because they should have stopped cruises sooner. 

Oddly enough it was carnival corp, not ncl or rcl who caused the bad press for everyone. Yep I feel so much better that rules will be enforced and the almighty dollar wouldnt be center for carnival corp. Let's hope they woke up. I dont have anything that tells me from the past they will strictly enforce rules. We will see. I'm glad you all think the fear of cdc will get them to do it. 

FFS, Royal and NCL had Covid cases. The media loves to beat up on Carnival, though.

Carnival Freedom 8-Mar 15-Mar
Carnival Imagination 5-Mar 8-Mar
Carnival Valor 29-Feb 5-Mar
Carnival Valor 5-Mar 9-Mar
Carnival Valor 9-Mar 14-Mar
Carnival Vista 15-Feb 22-Feb
Carnival Vista 29-Feb 7-Mar
Celebrity Eclipse* 2-Mar 30-Mar
Celebrity Infinity 5-Mar 9-Mar
Celebrity Reflection 13-Mar 17-Mar
Celebrity Summit 29-Feb 7-Mar
Coral Princess* 5-Mar 4-Apr
Crown Princess 6-Mar 16-Mar
Disney Wonder 28-Feb 2-Mar
Disney Wonder* 6-Mar 20-Mar
Grand Princess 11-Feb 21-Feb
Grand Princess* 21-Feb 7-Mar
Holland America Zaandam* 7-Mar 2-Apr
MSC Armonia* 2-Mar 9-Mar
MSC Meraviglia 1-Mar 8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss* 1-Mar 8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss 8-Mar 15-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway 29-Feb 7-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway* 7-Mar 14-Mar
Norwegian Encore 8-Mar 15-Mar
Oceania Riviera* 26-Feb 11-Mar
RCCL Explorer of Seas 8-Mar 15-Mar
RCCL Liberty of the Seas* 15-Mar 29-Mar
RCCL Majesty of the Seas* 29-Feb 7-Mar
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 7-Mar 14-Mar
RCCL Oasis of the Seas* 8-Mar 15-Mar
RCCL Symphony of the Seas* 7-Mar 14-Mar

*CDC was notified about COVID-19-positive travelers who had symptoms while on board these ships.
For all other ships, CDC was notified about travelers who had symptoms and tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days after disembarking. Since these travelers’ symptoms began after the voyage, the traveler might have contracted COVID-19 during the voyage; however, other sources of transmission after the voyage cannot be ruled out.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

FFS, Royal and NCL had Covid cases. The media loves to beat up on Carnival, though.

Carnival Freedom 8-Mar 15-Mar
Carnival Imagination 5-Mar 8-Mar
Carnival Valor 29-Feb 5-Mar
Carnival Valor 5-Mar 9-Mar
Carnival Valor 9-Mar 14-Mar
Carnival Vista 15-Feb 22-Feb
Carnival Vista 29-Feb 7-Mar
Celebrity Eclipse* 2-Mar 30-Mar
Celebrity Infinity 5-Mar 9-Mar
Celebrity Reflection 13-Mar 17-Mar
Celebrity Summit 29-Feb 7-Mar
Coral Princess* 5-Mar 4-Apr
Crown Princess 6-Mar 16-Mar
Disney Wonder 28-Feb 2-Mar
Disney Wonder* 6-Mar 20-Mar
Grand Princess 11-Feb 21-Feb
Grand Princess* 21-Feb 7-Mar
Holland America Zaandam* 7-Mar 2-Apr
MSC Armonia* 2-Mar 9-Mar
MSC Meraviglia 1-Mar 8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss* 1-Mar 8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss 8-Mar 15-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway 29-Feb 7-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway* 7-Mar 14-Mar
Norwegian Encore 8-Mar 15-Mar
Oceania Riviera* 26-Feb 11-Mar
RCCL Explorer of Seas 8-Mar 15-Mar
RCCL Liberty of the Seas* 15-Mar 29-Mar
RCCL Majesty of the Seas* 29-Feb 7-Mar
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 7-Mar 14-Mar
RCCL Oasis of the Seas* 8-Mar 15-Mar
RCCL Symphony of the Seas* 7-Mar 14-Mar

*CDC was notified about COVID-19-positive travelers who had symptoms while on board these ships.
For all other ships, CDC was notified about travelers who had symptoms and tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days after disembarking. Since these travelers’ symptoms began after the voyage, the traveler might have contracted COVID-19 during the voyage; however, other sources of transmission after the voyage cannot be ruled out.

I didnt say ccl had the only cases. I said they were the ones begging to get back into a usa port. Princess and HAL were the last ships out there with pax onboard because they shouldn't have gone out, then they couldn't dock. Poor mgmt to have allowed those ships out. It was known covid was a issue before that last hal ship went out. Stupid decision on mgmt part. Having those ships sitting out of florida and trump having to intervene to get them in was a big deal. Sorry. Their poor decisions affecting getting back to sailing imo. Some people have long memories and will not trust princess for a long time to come. There is even talk if princess will survive as a brand. 

Put another way the question isn't and wouldnt be if someone gets covid on a cruise.....they will. Its how it was handled. Do people trust the brand going forward. Carnival isn't giving away this big obc because it's a trusted brand. It's to get people to rebook. Giving away future profits.

MSC is building trust by being strict. RCL was building trust by standing over people washing their hands before entering the buffet area and making sure they washed long enough. Carnival wasnt building trust as much and so far isn't, hoping they do as a stockholder. 

Unless you believe covid will be stamped out, the question going forward is how will carnival handle cases onboard. 

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I have only read of lawsuits being thrown out by courts. Have you read of any succeeding?

I will grant that even the announcement of law suits has resulted in bad publicity, and that Princess and HAL have had this happen the most.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have only read of lawsuits being thrown out by courts. Have you read of any succeeding?

I will grant that even the announcement of law suits has resulted in bad publicity, and that Princess and HAL have had this happen the most.

agreed, only reports have been of dismissal, and a report from Australia which was MUCH more critical of thee land mgt. 

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Saw it happen on our last cruise on the Legend 1/6/20

That’s interesting. Last time I saw it was the Summer of 2015 on Victory. A friend of ours had on a nice pair of shorts and they told him he wasn’t allowed in the MDR without long pants. He went back to the cabin and changed. 

We have been on 30 plus cruises on Carnival since then and I have never seen anyone turned away from the MDR based on what they were wearing on elegant night. Granted I don’t hang out at the MDR entrance, but I have seen countless guys wearing jeans and shorts on every elegant night in the MDR on every one of these cruises. It has gotten significantly worse over the past several years. I think what you see dress wise in the MDR reflects the changing demographic of the passengers cruising on Carnival over the same time period. 

• Thanks 1

I have not followed all thread/posts on this topic - but could someone mention a few points of what changes Carnival is proposing to address concerns (virus related)?

I'm assuming no more sardine massing near the lifeboats for the safety drill would be there somewhere?

I have heard of "sailing at reduced capacity". Any chance that there's a definition of that (every other or third cabin booked... only double occupancy in most cabins, ect) ?

Tom

32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I have not followed all thread/posts on this topic - but could someone mention a few points of what changes Carnival is proposing to address concerns (virus related)?

I'm assuming no more sardine massing near the lifeboats for the safety drill would be there somewhere?

I have heard of "sailing at reduced capacity". Any chance that there's a definition of that (every other or third cabin booked... only double occupancy in most cabins, ect) ?

Tom

The CEO said in an interview this week that they will provide details when the CDC offers any suggestions.  Obviously the CDC has decided the cruise lines aren't worthy of a moment's consideration

38 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Virtual muster. Watch it in your cabin

I've heard up to 70%, some 60%. Carnival cuts off being allowed to book when it reaches this capacity. Also cant upgrade once it reaches capacity. 

MSC is doing Mdr ordering from a bar code, paper menus on demand.

Probably buffet not self serve. Mandatory hand washing to enter buffet. Rcl had people standing over you before they shut down to make sure you actually washing your hands required amt of time.

MSC is doing a bubble for excursions currently. One free excursion, the other 3 ports for 100 euros. Have to stay with the group. Mandatory testing when you board, and stay in a bubble at ports. One family decided not to stay with the group and wasnt allowed to reboard. Much talk if carnival will do similar. 

Temperature taking when you board.

Crew onboard 2 weeks before and tested. 

Rcl has already announced expanded functions to its app ... worked with ncl on it. So ncl and rcl seem to have plans like msc to order in the Mdr from your app. 

I'm sure there is more. 

Edited by firefly333

22 hours ago, sanger727 said:

the false negatives will always be an issue which is why they have to do the social distancing and masks onboard. However, I was really impressed by how the y handle positives. If you test positive on the rapid test they then give you the PCR ‘gold standard’ test. You don’t get denied boarding unless you test positive on both. Getting two positives in a row across two types of tests will greatly reduce if not eliminate the false positives being denied boarding. Will certainly be much less than 5%

I guess I'm not well informed then. I was under the impression a PCR test takes a day or two at least to get results, which obviously wouldn't work out well as a boarding test where an immediate result is needed.

20 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I guess I'm not well informed then. I was under the impression a PCR test takes a day or two at least to get results, which obviously wouldn't work out well as a boarding test where an immediate result is needed.

PCR tests can be done in hours. Really depends on lab access and priority.  If you say, go to a hospital that has their own lab you can certainly get a same day result. When many people get them and many testing sites send to the same labs, the labs get backed up and that’s why it usually takes days. I don’t know what arrangements MSC has made but they have had two positives get denied boarding so far that they claim were given both tests and results came back before they denied boarding. I don’t know if test results delays caused you to miss boarding if they would simply fly you to the next port to join if the PCR came back negative. Either way, assuming their claims are true I am satisfied that I wouldn’t be denied boarding for a false positive with this process.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I have had it done three times over the last 2 weeks and it's quick.  The first was done 48 hours before surgery then one 4 hours before surgery and the last was 10 days after because I was exposed at the hospital.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The CEO said in an interview this week that they will provide details when the CDC offers any suggestions.  Obviously the CDC has decided the cruise lines aren't worthy of a moment's consideration

Maybe the CDC has other priorities right now.  Just a guess. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I didnt say ccl had the only cases. I said they were the ones begging to get back into a usa port. Princess and HAL were the last ships out there with pax onboard because they shouldn't have gone out, then they couldn't dock. Poor mgmt to have allowed those ships out. It was known covid was a issue before that last hal ship went out. Stupid decision on mgmt part. Having those ships sitting out of florida and trump having to intervene to get them in was a big deal. Sorry. Their poor decisions affecting getting back to sailing imo. Some people have long memories and will not trust princess for a long time to come. There is even talk if princess will survive as a brand. 

The two ships that couldn’t dock weren’t the last ones to go out. They were just on longer South America itineraries and were impacted. There were short cruises that left the day of the No Sail Order/voluntary suspension and made it back sooner than the Princess/HAL would have been scheduled to disembark.

HAL’s brand ambassador, who is actually incredibly kind and professional, was live blogging during his time on the Zaandam because he was onboard. They just wanted to get home but instead were being shunned by the world.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Saw it happen on our last cruise on the Legend 1/6/20

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That’s interesting. Last time I saw it was the Summer of 2015 on Victory. A friend of ours had on a nice pair of shorts and they told him he wasn’t allowed in the MDR without long pants. He went back to the cabin and changed. 

We have been on 30 plus cruises on Carnival since then and I have never seen anyone turned away from the MDR based on what they were wearing on elegant night. Granted I don’t hang out at the MDR entrance, but I have seen countless guys wearing jeans and shorts on every elegant night in the MDR on every one of these cruises. It has gotten significantly worse over the past several years. I think what you see dress wise in the MDR reflects the changing demographic of the passengers cruising on Carnival over the same time period. 

What passes for Elegant Night on Carnival only passed for Smart Casual on Princess. There used to be heavy enforcement but that slowly had been going away. My last few Princess cruises, I have been able to wear shirts without a collar in the MDR as well as shorts on occasion. I’m glad to see the trend is changing and enforcement is minimal. My last cruise, I saw a few in the MDR on formal night without a suit or dinner jacket though so there’s that.

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We had something happened on that cruise we had never experienced before.  The first night we went to dinner and when we got there there was someone at our table (boot for 4). We went back to maitre’d and he explained we had stopped by earlier asking for a table change (we had not). Since the people at our assigned booth had already started (gotten bread and water and had ordered drinks), he asked if he could put us at a table for this meal and he promised a better situation the next night (which he did), he just said stop at the booth when we came the next night (Captains Gala).  I said we had been invited by the captain to cocktails before dinner so we might be a little late and he said no problem.  As it worked out, when we arrived, he was in an active discussion with some guests not properly dressed.  He paused with them and directed someone to show us to our “new” table.  Later he came over and apologized for all the confusion, I said no problem and then complimented him for maintaining dress code standards for the MDR.  

If I had not been at the entry at the time of the event, I would never have seen it.  I have also seen Ken do it more than a few times over the years.