World Cruise 2023

briar14

I guess there was a lot of pent up demand for a world cruise because of the shortened 2020  and the cancelled 2021.  There were no suites penthouse and above when I looked at it at 4:00 am CST.  We may book at segment or two, but right now I am hoping a penthouse suite will open on the 2022.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

We may book at segment or two, but right now I am hoping a penthouse suite will open on the 2022.

Do you really think segments will become available?  For first time, Regent may be able to sail a world cruise without seggies.

20 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Do you really think segments will become available?  For first time, Regent may be able to sail a world cruise without seggies.

You are right.  There may not be a suite to be had.  On the other hand, it is 27 months away.  People can cancel.

No segments?  Can't believe that, but miracles could happen.  Can't understand people putting money down at all right now.

Gheesh, they don't even have the prices listed on rssc.com.  What are they asking for a G?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

5 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

No segments?  Can't believe that, but miracles could happen.  Can't understand people putting money down at all right now.

Gheesh, they don't even have the prices listed on rssc.com.  What are they asking for a G?

And, wondering if some people booking are expecting to use their FCC's which I believe at least for those now in effect expire at the end of 2021 but, not sure.  Surely they will not extend to a 2023 cruise.  Once that realization sets in wonder how any cancellations??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WesW said:

Wendy fyi:

$206,998
$80,999
Wait List
301 / 28
07, 08

$200,998
$77,999
Wait List
301 / 28

Right, thanks Wes, I found it in the booklet that we just got in the mail. Both waitlisted I see.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:41 AM, rallydave said:

You do know you are leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table booking direct with Regent?  Plus the service of great TA's who most certainly will do more for your than a Regent employee should issues occur.

I appreciate the sentiment, but no, actually, I don't know that.

When I booked the 2020 World Cruise, on the urging of more experienced folks both here and on the FB group, I spoke to two different luxury cruise specialty TAs that came highly recommended about this, and the best they could offer was a savings of maybe $1,000 on the cruise (one said $750) and some OBC.  For a six-figure cruise, the hassle of having to go through a TA for every question or issue just wasn't worth the minimal savings offered.  Both of them explained that it was due to the fact that I travel solo, so they have less flexibility due to the "single supplement" situation.  I guess after 10 cruises, the savings might add up to "tens of thousands" but for a one or two cruises? doesn't seem likely.

And after going through the end of the 2020 WC and the quick/early disembarkation in Fremantle, Australis, after seeing how many of the TA-serviced fellow guests were treated vs how those of us who had booked directly with Regent, I'll take Regent any day in such a situation.  In many cases, it seemed to be a dumpster fire of confusion and missed connections.

Unless things have changed a lot since 2018 (when I booked the 2020 WC), I don't see much of an advantage using a TA as a solo cruiser, and frankly I'd rather have the option of calling Regent directly to get issues/answers resolved, rather than having to explain it to a TA, waiting for the TA to contact Regent, hoping that the TA understood my issue/question and can explain it to Regent, waiting for an answer, and if I have to followup, going through the entire process again ad nauseam.  Plus I've gotten serious discounts/rebates/OBC on every cruise I've booked directly with Regent by taking advantage of current promotions.

My bottom line is this:  Is the expected experience worth the $$$ I have to invest to get it?  and part of that expected experience is having someone I can contact who can supply official/accurate answers quickly.  So far, I haven't found the benefit of using a TA worth the cost.  Others' mileage will likely vary.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 3

I do expect to see segments offered eventually. I know the day we booked WC 21 it was wait listed all the way down. We first booked a PH and changed mind 2 weeks later and got a deck 10 Horizon Suite with tub/shower combo. We waitlisted  for a HS with shower on deck 8 or 9 and got it a few weeks later. There was obviously a lot of movement. I expect a lot of movement here too. We are now booked WC 22 on a deck 10 HS shower, waitlisted for deck 8 or 9. I would hope those that hung in for Regent to cancel would bump me further down on the wait list, that seems very fair. I am not expecting to get our preferred HS.

• Like 1

For me, the answer is decidedly yes: I want a responsive, experienced TA who has considerable knowledge about the cruise line and the specific ship. An independent rep who will champion my personal needs as a consumer.

Putting aside the financial aspects (which are important) of TA fee and rebates/OBCs, for me the key is to have an independent, unfettered travel professional looking out for my interests as a customer.  Ideally, your TA generates a great deal of business for the line - whether Regent or Oceania - and has personal insight on cabin locations, amenities, special deals - aided by the unvarnished feedback of their customers who regularly sail with Regent alongside their personal experiences onboard.

If there is a problem, a TA who generates a lot of bookings for the line will enjoy access to Regent executives to resolve the matter or obtain sufficient information to provide a detailed answer to their client vs a customer service rep on the phone.  I do not want to belittle phone reps but they often are limited to working by the script.

A great TA is a different breed altogether.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

My bottom line is this:  Is the expected experience worth the $$$ I have to invest to get it?  and part of that expected experience is having someone I can contact who can supply official/accurate answers quickly.  So far, I haven't found the benefit of using a TA worth the cost.  Others' mileage will likely vary.

Hi Lana,  

Your concerns are valid however you were talking to the wrong TA's.  Have checked and your single status does NOT change the rebate you would get.  Whoever you were talking to was trying to sell you a bill of goods.  Does not matter if it is single ore double occupancy, the rebate is the percentage the TA pays less any non-commisionable items.

And as wrisdband stated stated a good TA is worth their weight in gold and can and will do things for you that the Regent representative can't won't or won't ask higher ups about because they work for the company.    So, an unequivocal YES to is a TA worth having and have no idea how to answer worth the cost because there is absolutely NO COST to use them and as I have said, based on the cruises you have listed in your signature you would have saved over $50,000 by using a great TA and not the schlumps.

Sorry you got referred to the wrong TA's and that they didn't appreciate the business you were trying to give them but, again it is certainly worth it to use the right TA which is against CC rules to mention here.  Can only hope you are able to find the right TA who will appreciate your business and save you significant money while providing excellent service that a Regent representative who is working for the company cannot and will not provide.   Really no different than buying an expensive car and expecting to get the car below dealers cost.  Not going to happen as the dealer has to make money no different than dealing directly with a cruise line.

Good luck, enjoy your cruises and find the TA who will be worth it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Hi Lana,  

Your concerns are valid however you were talking to the wrong TA's.  Have checked and your single status does NOT change the rebate you would get.  Whoever you were talking to was trying to sell you a bill of goods.  Does not matter if it is single ore double occupancy, the rebate is the percentage the TA pays less any non-commisionable items.

Honestly, the feeling I had was that I was being "brushed off" -- by both of them.  Didn't give a good impression for sure.  I'll try again -- we'll see what happens.

Thanks --

Lana

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Honestly, the feeling I had was that I was being "brushed off" -- by both of them.  Didn't give a good impression for sure.  I'll try again -- we'll see what happens.

Thanks --

Lana

Hi Lana

I deal directly with Regent. Check everything out and give deposit for our cruise.I notify Regent the name of my travel agency.  Within a few days, I phone my travel agent and have her pickup the cruise. Additionally, I have her inform Regent that I am allowed to discuss details, except financial and changes and cancellations, with Regent. 
It works wonderfully well. When my docs are sent to us by our agent, we also receive our rebate check, which can amount to $1,000 plus. 
easy..Peasy!
sheila

• Like 1

@ArtsyCraftsy, I suggest that you ask fellow travelers about their relationships with their TAs while on board, whenever that happens.  The discussion here is stifled by the Cruise Critic rules.  You can ask fellow solo travelers, as well as couples, what kind of rebate arrangement they have and whether they like the job their TAs are doing.  I agree with those who are trying to convince you that you can do much better with the right TA.

• Like 1

Is anyone else trying to book a penthouse or above?? We have never booked a WC before.  My TA says they will review all requests and give you an answer in the next week or so.  What??  This is after they took a hefty deposit just for the privilege of being on the list. What’s going on??  I can go online and fake book a concierge suite or below. I’m super frustrated. I would love to hear from other non world cruisers. Thanks.