From PortMiami: Florida Senators introduce Set Sail Safety Act

sandebeach

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

We dropped our kids off at a daycare that took them to school and picked them up. 

M8

It seems like changing the school schedules statewide is a lot of work and expense for everyone just to get the sunset to be one hour later. In any event, the Rubio/Scott bills aren't going anywhere.

11 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

It is just about the easiest place to embark from with facial recognition and pre check in it is just a matter of walking into the terminal and up the escalator to the ship..  

You forgot passport check, signing of health form, cruise document check and other likely new requirements

It's a lot more than simply  walking into the terminal and going up an escalator.

7 minutes ago, Pratique said:

It seems like changing the school schedules statewide is a lot of work and expense for everyone just to get the sunset to be one hour later. In any event, the Rubio/Scott bills aren't going anywhere.

You say that but your profile indicates New Hampshire. I’d hate to be in New Hampshire in Winter. 😁  Fall and Winter in Florida are by far, our best weather. Very little rain and nice temperatures. We would enjoy and extra hour of daylight in the evening. It works in some States and others not so well. 

M8

51 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You threw in the comment about Miami, not me. 

Miami is now open, cases and deaths are down. Hospitalizations and ICU beds are down. Positive test rates are nearing 4%.  No big surge after latest holiday beach time.  I would say we managed pretty well while opening. Let’s see how NYC does when they remove the boards from their stores (the ones that will open) and open the city again. 

And I will say again. Miami has not defunded the Police. Much safer that NYC. Don’t you think once the Port is open in NJ the “peaceful” protesters will find their way there?

M8

I referenced Miami because that was hardest hit with Covid in Florida and a major cruise port. Had nothing to do with crime and protests. 

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You say that but your profile indicates New Hampshire. I’d hate to be in New Hampshire in Winter. 😁  Fall and Winter in Florida are by far, our best weather. Very little rain and nice temperatures. We would enjoy and extra hour of daylight in the evening. It works in some States and others not so well. 

M8

I lived in Orlando for 12 years, it was nice having sunset after 5 pm in December. Up north the sun sets at 4 pm in December but 8:30 pm in June. You've already got it good being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone. I say take what you can get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You threw in the comment about Miami, not me. 

Miami is now open, cases and deaths are down. Hospitalizations and ICU beds are down. Positive test rates are nearing 4%.  No big surge after latest holiday beach time.  I would say we managed pretty well while opening. Let’s see how NYC does when they remove the boards from their stores (the ones that will open) and open the city again. 

And I will say again. Miami has not defunded the Police. Much safer that NYC. Don’t you think once the Port is open in NJ the “peaceful” protesters will find their way there?

M8

Incubation time is 2-3 weeks, to early to tell, wait till end of September.

The other thing is that the highest risk/weakest likely already got infected and the second round will always be less in this kind of thing, call it the path to "herd mentality,"  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I lived in Orlando for 12 years, it was nice having sunset after 5 pm in December. Up north the sun sets at 4 pm in December but 8:30 pm in June. You've already got it good being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone. I say take what you can get.

I agree and can’t wait until we get year round DST. 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I referenced Miami because that was hardest hit with Covid in Florida and a major cruise port. Had nothing to do with crime and protests. 

I suggest you go back to your sequence of posts beginning with #32.  You basically said NYC is a tourist town. I said we are not going back to NYC (as a tourist)   They need  clean it up and return funding to the Police. Again, you injected Miami. I could care less where Cruise ships sail from in that area. 

Peace

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

Here is why this bill is necessary in my opinion.  The CDC has taken the position that cruise ships must stop until after the pandemic is over.  They do not want cruise ships operating at all during the pandemic.   We have no idea when the pandemic will be over but until that day is reached the CDC does not want cruise ships sailing.

They have retasked resources within the CDC who used to work on programs like the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) and now those resources are working with state and local public health departments.  

If cruise ships are allowed to resume service these resources will have to return to their normal duties working on the VSP and other tasks related to cruise ships.  The CDC doesn't want that to happen.  As far as the CDC is concerned cruise ships are an unwanted distraction keeping them from working in American communities.  

Cindy Friedman is the experienced epidemiologist who leads the CDC’s cruise ship task force.  She believes during this pandemic cruise ships created a “huge strain” on the country. “Nobody should be going on cruise ships during this pandemic, full stop,” she says.

Part of the problem, she says, is that cruises are often populated with people at greater-than-average risk for the disease.   Crew members sleep in bunk beds and usually share bathrooms. “If these ships had stopped sailing, our large team could all be working on helping states and local public health authorities with their community outbreaks,” she says.

The CDC doesn't care about the jobs or the economic impact of the cruise industry.  The CDC doesn't want to be bothered by the cruise industry right now or for several years to come.  They are solely focused on the pandemic and plan to be for the foreseeable future long after a vaccine is first available right up until the pandemic is completely over and we are past it.  Only then will the CDC allow cruise ships to sail.

The bill introduced may take several months to progress if it does at all.  Unless this bill passes into law the CDC is not going to give approval for cruise ships to sail for many years to come.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Here is why this bill is necessary in my opinion.  The CDC has taken the position that cruise ships must stop until after the pandemic is over.  They do not want cruise ships operating at all during the pandemic.   We have no idea when the pandemic will be over but until that day is reached the CDC does not want cruise ships sailing.

They have retasked resources within the CDC who used to work on programs like the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) and now those resources are working with state and local public health departments.  

If cruise ships are allowed to resume service these resources will have to return to their normal duties working on the VSP and other tasks related to cruise ships.  The CDC doesn't want that to happen.  As far as the CDC is concerned cruise ships are an unwanted distraction keeping them from working in American communities.  

Cindy Friedman is the experienced epidemiologist who leads the CDC’s cruise ship task force.  She believes during this pandemic cruise ships created a “huge strain” on the country. “Nobody should be going on cruise ships during this pandemic, full stop,” she says.

Part of the problem, she says, is that cruises are often populated with people at greater-than-average risk for the disease.   Crew members sleep in bunk beds and usually share bathrooms. “If these ships had stopped sailing, our large team could all be working on helping states and local public health authorities with their community outbreaks,” she says.

The CDC doesn't care about the jobs or the economic impact of the cruise industry.  The CDC doesn't want to be bothered by the cruise industry right now or for several years to come.  They are solely focused on the pandemic and plan to be for the foreseeable future long after a vaccine is first available right up until the pandemic is completely over and we are past it.  Only then will the CDC allow cruise ships to sail.

The bill introduced may take several months to progress is it does at all.  Unless this bill passes into law the CDC is not going to give approval for cruise ships to sail for many years to come.  

By the time the bill makes it's way thru the system it'll be who knows what month in 2021 and either the Pandemic is over, people are emotionally exhausted and see the results of Europe success or failure and the answer will be obvious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

By the time the bill makes it's way thru the system it'll be who knows what month in 2021 and either the Pandemic is over, people are emotionally exhausted and see the results of Europe success or failure and the answer will be obvious.

The CDC couldn't give a hoot about cruise ships in Europe.  They want to be focused on the pandemic in America.  

A vaccine that is effective is not a given nor is the timeframe that has been offered.  They don't know how effective a vaccine might be or how long a vaccine might work.  If a vaccine lasts for three months do you get four vaccines per year?   What if the vaccine is less effective after three doses?  We don't know this pandemic will be over in 2021 or 2022.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I agree that this bill, which we have not seen yet, is probably too little, too late and too close to the election. Also, there already is a private sector advisory committee working on this. We don't need Congress to establish another one.

In theory the federal government cannot extend the no sail order indefinitely. At some point either they will have to drop it or come up with something. Most likely CDC will reach an agreement with the industry on a response plan in the next few months and provisionally allow them to resume operations under that plan.

Keep tabs on the bill here: S.4592

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Incubation time is 2-3 weeks, to early to tell, wait till end of September.

The other thing is that the highest risk/weakest likely already got infected and the second round will always be less in this kind of thing, call it the path to "herd mentality,"  LOL

Just wait....🤔

Didn't we hear that after Memorial Day, and 4th of July?😉

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I suggest you go back to your sequence of posts beginning with #32.  You basically said NYC is a tourist town. I said we are not going back to NYC (as a tourist)   They need  clean it up and return funding to the Police. Again, you injected Miami. I could care less where Cruise ships sail from in that area. 

Peace

M8

I'm sure plenty of people are willing to return to the Big Apple for all it has to offer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes it sounds like they want people to "enjoy" more daylight. Sen. Scott signed the permanent daylight saving time bill when he was governor, but Florida can't do anything without a change in federal law. It has been tried before and failed. Also, they are running out of time to get this one passed. Not happening.

That would be fine with me.  I wish it was standard time all year.  I hate how dark it is in the mornings, and as mentioned above, it does present a danger to kids going to school.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

The CDC couldn't give a hoot about cruise ships in Europe.  They want to be focused on the pandemic in America.  

A vaccine that is effective is not a given nor is the timeframe that has been offered.  They don't know how effective a vaccine might be or how long a vaccine might work.  If a vaccine lasts for three months do you get four vaccines per year?   What if the vaccine is less effective after three doses?  We don't know this pandemic will be over in 2021 or 2022.   

What you are missing is the following:

1) Europe is opening up, Europe is testing, Europe has various countries doing aggressive to minimal lock down across a wide level of behavior rule following, LOL

2) Cruising and leisure travel is happening

1 and 2 will provide evidence that the CDC will see in a few months that will possible influence them in decisions and such.  Of course the could ignore data/science and continue to just go with the gut feeling like some have...with the current results we see 😉

16 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

That would be fine with me.  I wish it was standard time all year.  I hate how dark it is in the mornings, and as mentioned above, it does present a danger to kids going to school.

If New England was on standard time in the summer the sunrise would occur at 4 am.

I don't care if it is standard or daylight saving, I just wish they would pick one and stick with it like they're doing in Europe.

3 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

1) Europe is opening up, Europe is testing, Europe has various countries doing aggressive to minimal lock down across a wide level of behavior rule following, LOL

1 and 2 will provide evidence that the CDC will see in a few months that will possible influence them in decisions and such.  Of course the could ignore data/science and continue to just go with the gut feeling like some have...with the current results we see 😉

The more you test the more you find...

My question is how many false positives have we recorded ?!? This PCR cycle madness is extremely frustrating.  If I’m not mistaken this is the most frequently used test in the USA.  Hopefully we can transition to more accurate testing soon.

69F88AEC-512F-49EF-9612-4259F86E0F01.jpeg

16C921DC-CAF1-4A3F-8DF8-5ACE3532E5BD.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

Europeans behave very differently compared to Americans.    Personally I think it's wonderful what Europeans have been able to accomplish with cruising and I'm hopeful America can use those lessons learned. 

I'm not sure America will learn though as we are too busy debating about things like if our governments should be able to dictate what we need to do to deal with the pandemic.  

The CDC knows Americans.  They see people ignoring advice, guidelines and in some cases the law in certain jurisdictions every day.  They know what works in Europe won't work the same way in America.  

I'm encouraged that we haven't seen the death rates rise dramatically like they did in the spring.  I think the CDC will use facts like that to choose a path forward more so than looking at something like Europeans were able to execute a cruise to nowhere that isn't legal in the US.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Europeans behave very differently compared to Americans.    Personally I think it's wonderful what Europeans have been able to accomplish with cruising and I'm hopeful America can use those lessons learned. 

I'm not sure America will learn though as we are too busy debating about things like if our governments should be able to dictate what we need to do to deal with the pandemic.  

The CDC knows Americans.  They see people ignoring advice, guidelines and in some cases the law in certain jurisdictions every day.  They know what works in Europe won't work the same way in America.  

I'm encouraged that we haven't seen the death rates rise dramatically like they did in the spring.  I think the CDC will use facts like that to choose a path forward more so than looking at something like Europeans were able to execute a cruise to nowhere that isn't legal in the US.   

Europe seeing a surge in cases