Not cruising this winter? What are your plans?!

sakigemcam

Many of us will be headed to Fla.  But we must accept that masks are widely required down there.....plus  other restrictions in place.

Best part will be the ability to walk, bike and hike outdoors and walk on the beaches..

.not sure if we will use our   Community gym that just opened with limited use or the pool  where we till have to supply our own chairs! 

Most of all we will be happy enough to enjoy our lanai and warmer outdoor weather

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

I live in Seattle but I am originally from New Mexico and I am very much used to 340+ days of sunshine. Living in Seattle in the winter, my only bright spots have been my yearly late January cruises. They give me a break from the near constant rain and ever constant grey skies. I’m actually extremely worried about SAD this winter but we have zero plans to travel. My husbands job restricts travel to 100 miles and no flying without 2 week of quarantine and he just can’t be out of the office that long. I was thinking of a solo drive to CA to see the sunshine for a few days. Trying to stay optimistic that this winter won’t be so bad. 

• Like 2

We live in S Florida so we are OK weather wise - lol. We have rented a cabin in the mountains for GA in a few weeks.  Should be fun and cool.  Can't wait to see the leaves.  My wife doesn't want to fly so that limits what we can do.  

Not interested in an AI since we don't drink.  At least 30% of an AI is for alcohol I bet.  Just not worth it.

So we'll hang here and hope most of the tourists stay at home.  I doubt it but one can hope. 😁   People complain about Florida but we are getting people in record numbers down here.  They are fleeing from something.......

Well, we finally cancelled our 2021 cruise bc the Lift and Shift (or Lift and ShAft as I now call it) only offered us a downgrade  - even though the identical itinerary was available moving us from S Class to E Class. They wouldn't even consider it. Whattttt. 

We're excited about an AI in Mexico. Our TA is amazing and also a friend of 20+ years and we thoroughly trust her. She's with an excellent consortium. She's made a few recommendations that we're reviewing. She says Mexico is doing an excellent job re: cleanliness, distancing, etc. Currently at 50% capacity.

We're not huge drinkers - I can get down 2 a day to my husband's 6 - but since we work full-time, it's going to be cold here as usual, and we absolutely love pools and the ocean - and not having to plan where to eat and drink (no reservations required at these resorts), it will be a nice alternative. The entertainment  isn't a factor for us as long as we have a beach. We will miss our annual cruise but limitations to cruise-run excursions kind of sealed the deal for us - we'll tour here and there but grabbing a cab to a gorgeous beach and swimming, snorkeling and reading are our vibe and we don't need to pay the cruise line to get us there.

I'm loving reading all your plans, whether it's staying home and appreciating what you have in place, or how you're adapting  your travels, cruise or not, remembering that if this is the toughest problem we have right now we are very fortunate! 

• Like 1

Sorry - Duplicate post!

Well, we finally cancelled our 2021 cruise bc the Lift and Shift (or Lift and ShAft as I now call it) only offered us a downgrade  - even though the identical itinerary was available moving us from S Class to E Class. They wouldn't even consider it. Whattttt. 

We're excited about an AI in Mexico. Our TA is amazing and also a friend of 20+ years and we thoroughly trust her. She's with an excellent consortium. She's made a few recommendations that we're reviewing. She says Mexico is doing an excellent job re: cleanliness, distancing, etc. Currently at 50% capacity.

We're not huge drinkers - I can get down 2 a day to my husband's 6 - but since we work full-time, it's going to be cold here as usual, and we absolutely love pools and the ocean - and not having to plan where to eat and drink (no reservations required at these resorts), it will be a nice alternative. The entertainment  isn't a factor for us as long as we have a beach. We will miss our annual cruise but limitations to cruise-run excursions kind of sealed the deal for us - we'll tour here and there but grabbing a cab to a gorgeous beach and swimming, snorkeling and reading are our vibe and we don't need to pay the cruise line to get us there.

I'm loving reading all your plans, whether it's staying home and appreciating what you have in place, or how you're adapting  your travels, cruise or not, remembering that if this is the toughest problem we have right now we are very fortunate! 

Edited by sakigemcam
Dup post

2 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

We live in S Florida so we are OK weather wise - lol. We have rented a cabin in the mountains for GA in a few weeks.  Should be fun and cool.  Can't wait to see the leaves.  My wife doesn't want to fly so that limits what we can do.  

Not interested in an AI since we don't drink.  At least 30% of an AI is for alcohol I bet.  Just not worth it.

So we'll hang here and hope most of the tourists stay at home.  I doubt it but one can hope. 😁   People complain about Florida but we are getting people in record numbers down here.  They are fleeing from something.......

I'm curious what you mean by record numbers.  Is that recent?  I was interested so I googled it and through June Florida tourism was down 60%.  So are you saying that in July and August, the hottest months of the year, not to mention the hurricanes,  you saw people visiting in record numbers?  Where were they coming from and where were they visiting??  As I may possibly be one of the people fleeing bad weather that you don't want to visit, I am honestly curious.

25 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

sakigemcam, we're heading to Mystic, Ct. in 3 weeks.  Do you know where to get a great lobstah roll??

Okay, quick service here. You know New Englanders are really passionate about their lobster rolls so everyone has a different, passionate opinion. We prefer our lobster in Maine so we don't have an opinion about CT. But here are some our friends have suggested around Mystic. Check them out online to see if atmosphere is what you're looking for. 

- Latitude 41

- Seaview Snack Bar

- Ford's Lobster

- Dog Watch Cafe

- Engine Room

Also if you like oysters and would consider a ~30 minute drive to Matunuck, Rhode Island, highly recommend Matunuck Oyster Bar. During the summer it's impossible to get a reservation! Great menu, and if you get a seat on the water, even better. Afterwards you can drive down to Matunuck Beach for a walk on the sand.  Another place we love - for oysters - but not as awesome as Matunuck (they have their own oyster farm) is the Bridge Cafe in Westerly, RI.

Stay away from the Mystic Diner. The food is terrible!  And have a wonderful trip!!

• Like 1

Wow, Sakigemcam, thank you for this awesome list!  I just copied all of them down.  Including the advice to avoid the Mystic Diner.  We're meeting our friends from the Cape (Cod), prior to our reuniting in Florida in January.  We haven't seen them since we left Naples this past March, but we feel confident about meeting, since the reviews of the hotel seem to be following all of the hygienic rules.  We haven't traveled anywhere in all of these months, with the exception of our day trip to Cape May the other day,  We ordered lobstah rolls to go while there, but we've had better.😉  Thank you again!

• Like 1

We are hoping to take our trip to aruba.  We were supposed to go in September but canceled due to the testing, insurance, etc needed to go through to get there.    We did a lift and shift on our Freedom 1/2021 cruise to 2/2022.   At his point, I just want to get away and shut down for a week.  

now wearing a mask for the entire time at the airport, flight and until we get to the hotel, well not so sure I’ll be onboard with that.  However, quite sure that will be the rules of travel in 2021.  

Everyone believing they will be traveling this winter should check with the regulations.

Free travel to Mexico, the DR, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and many others does not exist right now.    They are either not accepting visitors, requiring a two week quarantine in government quarters, or requiring several negative COVID tests.   Other than that, there is a Level 4 do not travel to any of these destinations for U.S. citizens.    Who know what the status will be by Jan or Feb 21 but you can easily be disappointed.    

When we are not cruising, we like visiting the national parks.  So with our Christmas cruise lifted and shifted to next year, I am taking the family to Death Valley National Park to stay over Christmas and Zion NP for New Years.  We will rent a Jeep and go visit Racetrack Playa to show our kids the famous sliding stones.

Sliding Stones at Racetrack Playa.jpg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

We are just staying home Jackson County, GA.. We just finished a drive vacation to Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC and North Myrtle Beach. We are now doing yard work...a lot of yard work as we have a 1.5 acre wooded lot. Why do all the tree limbs fall down at the same time?  We hope to sail on the Connie on February 15th.

• Like 2

While we have missed and canceled  a few cruises.  We hope that by March we will be able to cruise- however. if the virus isn't gone nor an safe tested immunization isn't ready, we will stay home.  Do not want to risk traveling until things return to normal.  We really enjoy all inclusive also, especially in Cancun, we will pass until it is safe to travel in our country and to the places we want to visit.

We are being cautious and safe.  IMO I can live without a vacation, but might not if I get covid.  Enjoying our time at home-

On 10/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Is Connecticut now allowing visitors from Florida?   I thought you were subjected to a two week quarantine at a hotel where they could track you.    As your infection rate in Florida goes up after the reopening, I don’t believe other states would welcome you.

Florida is on the Travel Advisory List in Connecticut.  14 day self-quarantine unless you have had a Covid test with negative results within 72 hours of entering the state.  

Edited by keesar

On 10/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Is Connecticut now allowing visitors from Florida?   I thought you were subjected to a two week quarantine at a hotel where they could track you.    As your infection rate in Florida goes up after the reopening, I don’t believe other states would welcome you.

Hi Covepointcruiser....I've been in NJ since late March.  Won't be returning to Florida until after the Holidays.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Everyone believing they will be traveling this winter should check with the regulations.

Free travel to Mexico, the DR, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and many others does not exist right now.    They are either not accepting visitors, requiring a two week quarantine in government quarters, or requiring several negative COVID tests.   Other than that, there is a Level 4 do not travel to any of these destinations for U.S. citizens.    Who know what the status will be by Jan or Feb 21 but you can easily be disappointed.    

I don't think you are telling us anything we don't already know.  We can plan, and hope, and make final decisions when the time is closer.  Unfortunately I think many of us are all too familiar with disappointments this year re: travel.  I personally have had to cancel and/or lift and shift six cruises this year and I have a B2B in January that is not likely to sail (or sail safely) so we are doing a wait and see on that one.