Some positive RCL news + last sentence says it all

Royal Caribbean (RCL)

First up is Royal Caribbean, the world’s second-largest cruise line. RCL has not flinched from directly facing the challenges of the pandemic, putting its corporate focus on maintaining liquidity and using the ‘downtime’ of the pandemic to streamline and modernize its fleet.

Back in June, that first priority led the company to renegotiate over $2.2 billion in existing debt, and more recently, management secured a binding loan commitment from Morgan Stanley for a $700 million credit facility. The facility is available for drawing any time before August of next year – and can even be extended by an additional $300 million. These moves add substantially to RCL’s cash position, and its ability to fund operations pending the revival of ticket sales.

RCL has managed to stave of bankruptcy through its loan negotiations, and gives the company room to plan for resuming active cruise operations. In addition, RCL has partnered with Norwegian Cruise Lines to author a 66-page report submitted to the CDC earlier this summer, giving industry recommendations on how to restart cruises safely. Recommendations include required face coverings on board ship, daily temperature checks, and COVID testing of passengers and crew.

In his latest note on RCL, JPM’s Montour makes three key observations. First, relating to the company’s ability to quickly restore ships to service, he says, “RCL's current lay-up position should allow it to restart 'relatively quickly' but with moderately slow/measured capacity ramp from there.”

Moving on to the company’s prospects for bringing customers on board, Montour points out that “RCL believes that the lift in financial markets has helped its core customer feel relatively confident, customers have saved up a lot of 2020 vacation money, and are willing to pay pre-COVID-19 ticket prices and better.”

And finally, regarding on-board safety, Montour notes that RCL’s ships, which have a capacity for 110% occupancy, can afford to operate at 50%. He writes that the “addition of an extra entertainment show, and extra dining/seatings, will be a meaningful help in managing distancing. [The company] believes its previous investments in onboard and mobile technology will accelerate its capabilities with distancing initiatives, and it won't have to make as many additional investments as perhaps peers.”

To this end, Montour calls RCL a 'top pick' and rates it an Overweight (i.e. Buy).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Do you own RCL and looking to boost the stock price?

I have bought and sold 5 times in last 4 months. Sold half two weeks ago and have a buy order in at 62.00. I have done the same with NCL and CCL.  Biggest bummer was same day after buying those three stocks I had $500 to play with. Bought 1 share Tesla at $523, rode it up to $2100, sold three shares a week after the split and now have 2 at $415. Cruise line stocks worked out great but Tesla turned out to be one of those..   buys of a lifetime stocks. So to answer your question, Yes I own and wish I could boost the price. happy cruising . PS. All the sells have been through a triggered trailing stop loss, best way to trade in a volatile market

• Like 1

The only thing I don’t like about it is:

Recommendations include required face coverings on board ship, daily temperature checks, and COVID testing of passengers and crew.”

I really don’t care to be on vacation where I have to wear a mask.  And it looks morbid to me when everyone else is walking around with masks. Feels like a twilight zone episode. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Recommendations include required face coverings on board ship, daily temperature checks, and COVID testing of passengers and crew.”

I really don’t care to be on vacation where I have to wear a mask.  And it looks morbid to me when everyone else is walking around with masks. Feels like a twilight zone episode. 

I am very sorry that you feel "morbid" about mask-wearing.  Mask wearing is one of the best, proven methods of containing the spread of coronavirus.

Look at what happens when "people" refuse to wear masks.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am very sorry that you feel "morbid" about mask-wearing.  Mask wearing is one of the best, proven methods of containing the spread of coronavirus.

I didn’t say anything about the effectiveness of masks. But thanks fo feeling sorry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Morbid?  Really?  Interesting.

9 hours ago, HicksRA said:

You will need to wait until this is over, the mask in our daily lives will likely be around for the next years to come and maybe even become permanently more common in specific situations such as during winter time at flu season etc as you would find in various Asian counries.

He have I think the best example now, if hygine and masks would have been better implemented and the virus taken serious then very likely we wouldn't have the COVID cases at the White House at this stage. Maybe it will be a wake up call and finally the majority of the deniers will take the matter serious and contriute for cases finally going down in the US significantly.

• Like 1

One of my travel agent companies sent a questionnaire asking about what it would take to get me back  on a cruise ship.  I selected the next to the last choice - mandatory vaccine for crew and passengers.  Why even allow a potential walking Covid-19 incubator to board and possibly ruin a cruise for an entire shipload of passengers?  Here is a cut and paste of part of the survey:

Your Personal Requirements for Cruising

Due to COVID-19, cruise lines will implement extensive new sanitation and social distancing measures that will likely resemble those already in effect at hotels and restaurants around the US. These measures include such things as:

• disinfecting chairs and tables in dining venues, lounges and poolside every time a guest leaves
  • touchless menus in bars and restaurants
  • temperature checks for all passengers before boarding
  • regular temperature checks and required wearing of masks for all crew members
  • required wearing of masks for passengers in most public areas of the ship
  • reduction in seating capacity of restaurants and entertainment venues
  • reduction in the number of passengers onboard

In addition, one or more approved vaccines for COVID-19 may be available by year end or soon thereafter.

With this in mind, please tell us what would have to occur before you would be willing to cruise in the future. Please check the one option that most closely describes your position.  

No new sanitation or social distancing measures would have to occur, I am ready to cruise as soon as the cruise ships are allowed to sail.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented.
No new sanitation or social distancing measures would have to occur BUT I would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented AND I would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented AND every passenger and crew member would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
I am not interested in taking an ocean-going cruise in the next three years under any conditions
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Interesting comment "HicksRA."  It made us realize that perhaps 95% of the world's population, during the last few decades, have strongly objected to the women of one religion being forced to cover their faces.  But now we, the 95%, are being forced to uunaturally cover half of our faces!  It is abnormal ("morbid," you called it), but powerful people and organizations are enforcing it, and it will continue for a while longer. 

Those who have always forced women to cover their faces are probably loving every minute of seeing women of every religion now being covered.  It's so sad.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Really??? Masks are one of the ways to keep people safe. We have mandatory masks at work, at the stores. 

Masks on vacation are the new norm. We have been to Vegas twice, and the beach twice since reopening. Masks are the fashion accessory 100% of the time we were in indoors public spaces and even outside when around others (walking on the board walks). People without masks or poor mask use are reminded by staff and provided with masks (security at every elevator bank for people leaving their rooms). 

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

One of my travel agent companies sent a questionnaire asking about what it would take to get me back  on a cruise ship.  I selected the next to the last choice - mandatory vaccine for crew and passengers. 

After the cruise lines burn through those FCC's and the cruise junkies I wonder how many others will have selected that last choice.

quote: I am not interested in taking an ocean-going cruise in the next three years under any conditions.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, atanac said:

After the cruise lines burn through those FCC's and the cruise junkies I wonder how many others will have selected that last choice.

quote: I am not interested in taking an ocean-going cruise in the next three years under any conditions.

What makes you think general public won't cruise if it can be done safely. Many people are already patronizing restaurants, bars and gyms as soon as lockdown was lifted.

1 minute ago, sfaaa said:

What makes you think general public won't cruise if it can be done safely. Many people are already patronizing restaurants, bars and gyms as soon as lockdown was lifted.

Mmmmm perhaps because no one was quarantined for days in a restaurant, bar or gym.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

One of my travel agent companies sent a questionnaire asking about what it would take to get me back  on a cruise ship.  I selected the next to the last choice - mandatory vaccine for crew and passengers.  Why even allow a potential walking Covid-19 incubator to board and possibly ruin a cruise for an entire shipload of passengers?  Here is a cut and paste of part of the survey:

Your Personal Requirements for Cruising

Due to COVID-19, cruise lines will implement extensive new sanitation and social distancing measures that will likely resemble those already in effect at hotels and restaurants around the US. These measures include such things as:

• disinfecting chairs and tables in dining venues, lounges and poolside every time a guest leaves
  • touchless menus in bars and restaurants
  • temperature checks for all passengers before boarding
  • regular temperature checks and required wearing of masks for all crew members
  • required wearing of masks for passengers in most public areas of the ship
  • reduction in seating capacity of restaurants and entertainment venues
  • reduction in the number of passengers onboard

In addition, one or more approved vaccines for COVID-19 may be available by year end or soon thereafter.

With this in mind, please tell us what would have to occur before you would be willing to cruise in the future. Please check the one option that most closely describes your position.  

No new sanitation or social distancing measures would have to occur, I am ready to cruise as soon as the cruise ships are allowed to sail.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented.
No new sanitation or social distancing measures would have to occur BUT I would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented AND I would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
New sanitation and social distancing measures such as those above would have to be implemented AND every passenger and crew member would have to have taken a COVID-19 vaccine.
I am not interested in taking an ocean-going cruise in the next three years under any conditions

Yeah, the travel industry is really hurting right now. If and when there is a vaccine and if and when it is ever made mandatory to cruise, my family will have taken our last cruise February of this year. We are not anti vaxxers by any means.....99.9% survival rate........

On 10/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, HicksRA said:

I actually read what you wrote and I agree with both of your points. I also don't care to be on vacation where I have to wear a mask, I am patient and can wait until it's no longer required.....which will be one day soon. And yes, it does LOOK rather morbid when everyone (including myself) is walking about wearing one. Yes, they are necessary and helpful but absolutely looks morbid.

I mean, by it's very definition......

Definition of morbid

1a: of, relating to, or characteristic of disease // morbid anatomy

b: affected with or induced by disease // a morbid condition

c: productive of disease // morbid substances

We are wearing the masks to ward off disease are we not?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally could handle all the restrictions but DH would not. I wear a mask for 12 hours a day at work ( hospital nurse) so I am used to it. One problem I see happening which happens now is people not wearing their mask, taking it off, wearing it below their nose etc.. I could imagine sitting in the theater with the light down and numerous people doing this. The crew has a hard time dealing with chair hogs so I can’t see them being able or willing to enforce the mask restrictions. I think I’d have to bring my n95 and face shield which is what I wear when visitors refuse to wear their masks properly😡.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I am all yippy-skippy wearing a mask anywhere.  I feel very protected, and I can relax. I'm delighted RCCL wants to enforce this to start out with, and I will probably wear a mask if I cruise during flu season going forward.  It's to the point here where I live in CA that people don't even notice it anymore. Unless you don't wear one...................then they notice and stay away.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, HicksRA said:

On 10/2/2020 at 8:34 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I don't believe HicksRA was trying to get into a mask wearing pissing contest. Unless I misread him, I think he meant that it wouldn't be a vacation to him if he has to wear a mask on the ship. I feel the same way. I am not going to cruise until the need to wear a mask is no longer necessary. I just don't want to cruise until wearing a mask is no longer necessary. I believe that's what he meant... He didn't say he was refusing to wear a mask. 

As far as feeling "morbid". Yes, I agree with him. I feel like I'm in a twilight episode every time I go out shopping. I wear a mask too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I patronize these places too but I'm only there an hour or two.

Cruising generally requires 7 days or more of close patronizing! I don't think cruising can be compared to going to a restaurant or a beach.

Personally, I won't cruise until mask wearing is not needed...

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 1